Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ending of the Common Agricultural Policy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭893bet

6 months later, 2nd discussion, and still not a picture.

Walter Mitty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I am here to have a serious conversation if people want that... if things were done properly he would no plant and prefer not to... if people start slagging me off i will take the piss as there is no agenda... The horticulture course was training no agenda just information...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ireland always exported more food than we produced. Even hen we had a population of 7-8 million before the famine we exported Butter, grains and Beef.

The reason in general we only grow a limited amount of vegetables is mostly weather related. Unless you have poly tunnels and glass houses it is impossible to give security of supply of even vegetable like lettuce during the wintering, tomatoes even during the summer. Really we can only grow root vegetables and brassicas.

If you think it viable put up 10-20 acres of tunnel's and glasshouses to grow most of the rest of salad vegetables and see how the supermarkets treat you. Most veg producers are now depend on farmer markets to make a living.

Some are finally turning a profit as excess product has left the market. In the area I live in thirty years ago there was about ten+ lads growing potatoes, now there is only one really commercial producer and another 1-2 that grow a few acres.

Most veg cannot be grown commercially on heavy ground because of harvesting issues. On Forrestery if I planted the 27 HA I own I only have an income of about 10-12k/ year for the next 20 years. After that It would earn about 60-80% of that in thinning but income would be only every year in five. After year 30 yes income starts to flow but it is short term and you go back to the 40years cycle again but no grant for the next twenty.

Forrestery is like leasing you would be better off selling than doing either

Slava Ukrainii

You can confirm if you think this is ok going on to a busy public road... there is a short video clip but too large to send...

This person has the said green cert mentioned earlier...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

I would be extremely fussy but to be honest that picture shows no actual damage that is permanent .Would be more concerned about the state of the way the gate is hung .

if you think that the quoted pic shows damage etc then I suggest you get out a wee bit more .Yes there are a few wheel tracks but seen worse in spring barley fields of a wet harvest .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

As I said to you in an earlier post, you'd have to expect that you might not get the reaction you anticipated to what you consider to be damage. What you have there is harmless enough and what would have to be considered "normal wear and tear" if the man has animals on it and needs to get in and out. The only way to prevent muck from arising from normal access would be to stone inside the gate and under the bales. It's not a golf course or a lawn.

Thanks for that as it just confirms that this is considered normal farm practice... a practice that i would consider pretty dodgy... the auctioneer immediately cancelled the lease when he seen the damage...

It was the same farmer that damaged the right post for the gate in pic... the gate cannot be hung as it would not open inwards from the road...

The agreement was no bales to be left after harvest... there was never a problem with animals... sheep...

The road was extremely dangerous... i do not know who responsible if an accident... pity i cannot send clip as clearer...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I rent land to a local farmer. Rent is always paid on time. Land is looked after.

Family members rent land - their land looks better now than it did when we were farming it 🙂

There are good lads to rent to, and there are bad lads. Often people chose the higher rent, but not necessarily the best tenant to meet their requirements…

You mentioned your friend was unhappy due to slurry, or heavy machinery. You also mention there are sheep in the land now - could you stipulate that you only want grazing, no slurry. (You would have to accept fertiliser would be spread to hold up nutrient levels)

If unhappy with this proposal, have you sought out local organic farmers, to see if they would take the place?

It makes no odds to me what you do, but I do think you are talking about planting out of spite. There are other options…

The land was cheap €200/acre for good meadow field sheep fenced... its unfortunate the people have no regard for land they not own... There is no spite in any of this and your the second person that said this... the reason is listed below... I always thought farmers love the land and i had a conversation with a friend on this with a friend... he said "The farmer loves the Jeep"

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.” That witticism—I'll call it “Einstein Insanity”—is usually attributed to Albert Einstein.

• Advertisement

Bales

Bales stored near gap to allow minimum damage. Nothing unusual. Land will be green at can be next may.

So this thread there are allegedly 3 different farmers that are not keeping the land as you wish. Also in the other thread you call them relatives rather than farmers.

common denominator is you/your friends who has unrealistic expectations on how land is to be kept from what I can see.

Thank you all for input as any doubts about planting are now dispelled so it seems the right thing to do in this instance. I think it is up to each individual to decide how their property is maintained, for me there is nothing unrealistic about that. If its not working change it to something that will work for the individual at the given time...

The land will be green in May... it will also have Scot pine.oak, beech and what ever is decided... any advise on fruit species welcome...

Thanks again for comments as will likely be a great help in confirming this decision...

There is nothing out of the ordinary in that picture .Yes the gate itself looks a bit unsightly especially for one on a public road but lets be honest here have seen much worse.

Will agree that if the deal was for the silage to be removed once baled then he is taking the piss .A deal is a deal and doing such stuff shows a disregard for the lease .

As for the auctioneer well don't think he could unilaterally cancel the lease and any auctioneer who cancelled a lease after seeing the above photo would be unlikely to have ever handled any agricultural related business previously .

The realistic comment is in reference to a farmer basically farming the land and that not meeting your expectations with regards to usage. When you rented to the farmer had the realistic expectations that he or she would be allowed to farm the land (storing the bales aside).

A kin to you renting the land to a gun club but then not being happy when they are shooting deer on it.

Plant away I would say. Given this is going on 10 years I am willing to bet you won’t be able to post an image of the same field planted before I draw my pension (30 years time…..).

Well he did and they do all the farm sales around and run the local mart... its amazing that you can see a gate that cannot be hung for a good treason but you fail to notice damage to the public road that i am thinking is illegal... If this is Irish farm standards god help us...

My property, signed agreement which was adhered to so game over... expectation nothing to do with it he is gone... I will post a pic here when its being planted which i expect be before end of march all going well... you can decide on the bet size... we can buy the trees with your money...

Quite a lot of the farm people seem think a good idea but there is a few set against it led by a bit of a bully...

So now it’s your property? It was a friends a few pages back……lol.

Not much point betting with someone who can’t tell the truth.

Not really interested in prolonging this but went back to look at that photo again .

Think one of us should visit spec savers as I cannot see any damage whatsoever to the public road in that pic .

Methinks someone has bigger issues and/ or problems .

if you think this is proper farm practice... would people who caught doing this get farm payments... i tried to send the video but too big to travel... flood of water on to public road... the auctioneer was disgusted....

Still fail to see whats wrong in the picture uploaded on this thread .Even the strictest Dept. inspector would be unlikely to have an issue with it .

I would have a problem with anyone who agreed to draw home the bales and failed to do so .But the scene in the photo ? No way .

Anyways its a wet windy evening here so loads of time for this !!!

Looking again "your" field slopes out towards the public road .Surprisingly any water which happens to fall on it will run out onto the road .Perhaps you might take this up with person who put the road there in the first place .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Where is the picture of the damage though?

I've a feeling they might well be model renters but are dealing with a person with too much time on their hands and who loves the drama, a person probably with a long history of falling out with people and is consistently the wronged party.

Given how wet the fields beyond look, it's amazing there is so little damage.

If the owner was concerned about water running in the road, they could have opened drains to prevent that, they seem to not have bothered.

• Advertisement

Actually come to think of it ,is it not the responsibility of the farmer/land owner to ensure that water from their property does not egress onto a public road .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You were getting 200 an acre for that ground?

I hope you at least bought him breakfast and a soft pillow to sit down on.

It's your ground, do as you see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Who2

I taught the same . 200 for that ground . I’d say he’s delighted to be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would not consider 20 acre cheap in a drystock sector. I would not rent land for that. Many only manage 200/ acre at drystock. I would not consider there any significant damage done to the field.

I think you problem is the muck on the road and the fact that the agreement was that for bales to be removed after they were made. He should have adhered to that part of the lease agreement.

However you are only fooling yourself thinking you are getting even planting it. Land and farming is capable of driving wealth. Forrestery may only provide wealth to you grandchildren

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭alps

Is that CAP discussion finished yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭green daries

I think they should get rid of all the payments to farmers all over the world be a short term pain for us but there would be a new world order In jig Time it could only lead to a collapsed civilization

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

The EU has put any discussion of CAP on hold until the future of this field has been sorted out, maybe they could make a film about it, the field 2 or something like that.

Your land isn't cheap you need to take action to prevent water running onto the road won't cost you too much get and hang a gate it's easily done you'll need it to stop the horse's when you plant he shouldn't have put bales in the field. To be honest I would have been upset with this also if he was told not to he's responsible for an accident I have a feeling that the dirt on the road may be near the house so that was the problem.

You seem to have very bad luck with your Tennant's and a severe lack of understanding of and jaundiced view of livestock agriculture

• Advertisement

I asked the auctioneer before we finished and got a.... well you know reply... I then sent an email with the pics asking for lease to be cancelled

I also thought it was bad luck as the tennants came from professional auctioneer... i have no view on how people do their farm business as long as we keep what we agree... I do not know what the land worth but the comments here were way above €200.... However from what i read in posts here this land practice seems normal enough. The water is not going on road now as pics from last year... the tractor tracks created a path as the natural grade of the field is towards the side... The gate cannot be hung at the moment as it be up off the ground as up grade to the field... it will be looked at pretty soon...

Your EVEN comment inappropriate as on the basis of the comments here planting native trees is likely the best solution in this instance as this seems to be normal practice in farming... Your grandchildren comment correct...this is nothing to do with money its about looking after the piece of land...

Most of these roads would have been build by the Brits... I will give Boris a call later in the week as i know he is away at the moment...

Advertisement