Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2021/2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Mild and stormy is my preferred choice. Our winters in recent years have been very benign for Irish winters.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Perfectly acceptable if there’s definitely not going to be proper cold and snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hopefully a high pressure controlled winter bringing alot of cold crisp sunny days where the frost barely thaws in the shadows and a few flurries get through at times. January 2021 was a perfect Winters month!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭highdef

Perfect for me. Absolutely hate rain and wind. Absolutely hate rain with no wind. Absolutely hate wind with no rain. In winter, absolutely love dry with no wind. In winter, absolutely love dry weather. In winter, absolutely love no wind......you can see the pattern there!

No wind and dry weather means you can do outdoors stuff in a comfortable manner. Introduce wind into the equation and it becomes less pleasurable. Add rain into the mix and it is just yuck. Have both wind and rain and I have no urge at all for outdoor activities of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Anything but mild and dry I’m ok with. Mild and dry in winter is so tedious to get through as somebody who loves extremes of all kinds (average blustery conditions or usual rain we get won’t suffice) or just sunny weather as it is usually gloomy, the Christmas holidays of Dec 2018 and Jan 2019 in particular were a chore.

Otherwise, I’m pretty easy to satisfy. Great sunrise and sunset colours like 2019-20 (which made that winter more bearable) I am fine with for example.

Last winter had some great individual days - 6 December ice day with an inversion, 9 January notable severe frost without snow, 24 January localised snow day, 28 February coastal fog which produced a fogbow.

• Advertisement

I took a look at the 'QBO' monthly index data for the period Sept-Dec and compared it with the Dec-Jan NAO index, and as far as I can see, there is little correlation to be had:

Orange line = NAO vs Blue line = QBO since for the years 1979 to 2021.

A run of negative QBO values in the last quart of the year does show a very, very slight bias towards a negative NAO but correlation is poor: 0.16 to be exact.

Of the top 5 most negative QBO Sept-Dec periods, only one (following) Dec/Jan period came in with a mean negative NAO value with the average NAO coming in at 0.9c.

Of the top 5 most positive QBO Sept-Dec periods, no following Dec/Jan period came in with a mean negative NAO value. Average NAO value stands at 1.7.

Yet, looking at this data in a different way. The top 5 lowest Dec/Jan NAO values have a mean Sept-Dec QBO value of -6.4 (3 out of 5 were negative), while the top 5 most positive mean NAO values for this Dec-Jan period came in with an average preceding QBO value of 1.01, but with 3 of the 5 of values being also negative.

I'll take a look at the Jan-Feb period later if I am in the mood to do so.

Edit: Data sources I used:

New Moon

Good analysis @Oneiric 3 I noted similar results in 2018-19; though not as detailed as you've given here, when I last did in-depth winter updates and didn't find the QBO a particularly useful tool to giving an indication towards the future winter but Mets continue to mention it and bring it up.

Sure there'll be another new thing discovered to blame this winter on if it ain't a cold blocked one 😏

Thanks Syran.

I only used one measure though that didn't consider a 'lag effect' (if one exists) between the QBO and the NAO, though I thought, maybe wrongly, that a 4 month lag would be sufficient. That may be a wrong assumption though.

For what it is worth, I posted a video on the climate thread the other day that showed new findings regarding the stratospheric winds patterns etc and cold weather outbreaks which you might be interested in given that you know far about this phenomena that most.

How climate change is making winters colder - YouTube

Just something else to keep an eye on and consider this coming late autumn/winter season.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭pauldry

I feel we will get a major snowstorm this Winter. Could happen any month and remember if it does it will probably only last a day or two.

Last Winter there was tons of snow in Westport for a day so something more widespread could happen this year.

In general I'd say this Winter will be mild until the new year with the colder weather at the very end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

There have been three intervals of relatively cold weather so far in 2021, January into early February, April into May, and August. This makes me rather optimistic since the current warmth seems to be extending the general concept of a three to four month periodicity, and the next cold period should therefore be in the early winter. Early winter cold as we saw in 2010 (and 1981-82) is best because it can be more sustained and there\s less of a tendency for daytime temperatures to rise into snow melting ranges.

But not a prediction at this point, just an optimistic note that I hope to find more support for when I do the winter forecast in mid-October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Usual caveat applies that long range models and teleconnections are notoriously tricky to forecast from this far out.

Everyone has a different variable or element they like to focus on when it comes to long term forecasting guesswork, mine is SSTs. What I'm seeing so far in the long range forecasts for Winter is that the North Atlantic SST profile has a nice warm anomaly, with the large pool of cold which has tended to form between us and Greenland in recent years noticeably absent, and very very constrained once it does appear in the long term forecasts. There is still a small and shallow looking blob of cooler anomalies, but it's far, far more constrained than I've seen it in recent Winters.

Notably, according to Levi Cowan's fantastic analog calculations, the current SST profile globally resembles 2010 most closely. 2017 appears as the fifth closest analog. Both of these Autumns were, as everyone will remember, followed by extreme Winter cold spells in Ireland, characterised by long periods of Northern Blocking over Greenland and the Atlantic, with consequent northerly (Nov-Dec 2010) or easterly (February 2018) spells, respectively.

Here are the anomaly charts for the past month, the same time in 2010 and the same time in 2017:

(Images courtesy of https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/ )

The Atlantic profile is remarkably similar in all three charts, with specific reference to very high SST anomalies surrounding Greenland and Iceland in the far North Atlantic, and warm anomalies directly to our West in both the present and 2010 charts, neutral in 2017. The positive AMO signature is extremely evident in all three charts.

In terms of the Pacific, a moderate to strong La Nina is present across all three charts. The present and 2010 charts feature a negative PDO (that diagonal band of cold anomalies stretching from the US West Coast to Hawaii) while the 2017 chart features a warm (positive) PDO, which had weakened by the time of our Beast in Feb 2018, but not substantially.

The Indian Ocean Dipole is another notable feature - the present day and 2010 featured a negative IOD, while 2017 featured a positive IOD. @sryanbruen pointed out last year that there have been recent tentative suggestions of a correlation between positive IODs and a strong polar vortex, and it's interesting to note that the warm pool in the Eastern Indian Ocean flipped to a cool anomaly in January of 2018, right around the time of the SSW event which ultimately resulted in the gigantic anticyclone that originated over Scandinavia in February of 2018 and drifted Westwards towards Greenland, resulting in our Beasterly. I don't know enough about this correlation to suggest a link between those two events, but it's worth keeping an eye on all the same as our current SST profile would suggest favourability in that area as well.

Obviously the question here is whether these SST patterns will hold over the next few months. I had a look at the CFS and CanSIPS SST forecasts, which are attached below:

CFS:

CanSIPS:

Bit of a mixed bag from these forecasts.

The CanSIPs favours the re-development of the cold pool to the South of Greenland (possibly due to melting ice) while the CFS does not, although it does include a cool blob further south off the coast of Canada. Others who are more knowledgeable than myself can comment on whether the cold anomaly proposed by the CanSIPS to appear off Greenland would be enough to kill the positive potential of these charts, or whether it's too constrained to do so. There are extremely warm anomalies directly below this cool area - I don't personally know how that kind of mixed bag would impact the prospects for blocking, so I'll let others chime in.

As far as ENSO, both charts show a strengthening La Nina, with the CFS switching to a strong event while the CanSIPS doesn't make it as strong, but does extend its reach all the way into and beyond the Nino 4 region in the Western Pacific. La Ninas seem to have a sweet spot with regard to our Winters, wherein a weak to moderate event is ideal while a very strong event leads to storminess - again, others will have to adjudicate on what these forecasts would mean in terms of how strong that La Nina is going to get and what kind of impacts it might have for us.

The Indian Ocean Dipole is difficult to reach from these charts, others can chime in with their thoughts. Looks like an unclear signal in either direction - are Indian Ocean SST forecasts generally this neutral-looking, and does that tend to correlate?

I had a look at the pressure charts (MSLP and 500mb heights) for both November and December in both models, but as each model only shows the anomalies for that period rather than the true values, I'm not sure how to interpret those -  Happy to post them here if anyone else wants to have a go!

From where I'm sitting, this looks like is could be another very interesting Winter of model watching, for those of us who are into our cold hunting!

Nice informative post @hatrickpatrick. I am only getting to post now on the matters with university et al keeping me uber busy at the moment.

The idea of the Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD) was that in 2019 we had seen a strong positive phase through the autumn. This minimised atmospheric wave upwell from the troposphere to the stratosphere and in turn, the stratospheric polar vortex (SPV) was able to develop strongly with no disruption through the early winter period into the New Year of 2020. There was one minor warming event in late January that resulted in a slight deceleration of the zonal mean zonal winds but it was very minor and was not nearly enough to drive a change in the atmospheric pattern. The persistently strong SPV with little disruption throughout the season from December 2019 to even April 2020 interested stratospheric scientists in finding out what could have caused it. Zonality is normal of course but how stubborn the SPV was in a strong state was very remarkable. It was found that the IOD was the culprit in a study last winter but I had never heard about the IOD in affecting our weather before 2020. So the idea that the IOD will be neutral or slightly negative this autumn means it likely will not impact the winter patterns much as compared to 2019-20.

I will not open a stratosphere watch thread until November at earliest (although of course anyone is free to do so) as in my opinion, it is still too early for the stratosphere to mean much in the grand scheme of things and causing very blocked patterns. However, I see lots of people talking about the prospects of a major SSW (a reversal of the zonal mean zonal winds at 60°N 10 hPa) in late October which would be unprecedented as far as 10 hPa stratospheric records began in 1951 and thus it is extremely unlikely that such would occur and those models that showed such would have been outlier perturbations in an ensemble suite that shows a weak SPV. A major SSW in November meanwhile has happened before in 1958 and 1968 but the rarity of such with it occurring only twice in the 70 year record and last time being 53 years ago would make one hold a bit of skepticism as to the possibility of this happening in 2021. Canadian Warming events where the SPV is displaced towards Eurasia and a warming occurs over Canadian side of the pole in comparison are much more common in November and have occurred in many years but strangely has not happened since November 2000. These warming events are not strictly limited to 10 hPa and can occur in the lower stratosphere at times too such as 1962. Some of the recent modelling forecasts would be close to a technical Canadian Warming by late October, however the very latest ones have had a tendency to decrease the certainty of a dramatic weakening of the zonal mean zonal winds at 60°N 10 hPa and show the SPV recovering through November. This is nothing unusual and in fact lots of recent autumns have been characterised by fair amounts of blocking with October and November 2016 particularly standing out before the SPV recovered through the winter. Autumn 2017 had it, 2018 had it, 2019 had it with a trop-strat disconnection and 2020 had it too to an extent during October. So I'll wait and see developments through November before thinking about what the stratosphere will do or else I'll probably drive myself insane again with uncertainty!

Meanwhile, recent developments in the Pacific have shown the La Niña signature to become more central based which historically has led to overall +NAO winters including the Decembers which I have said before have an increased chance of observing a -NAO during a La Niña. Why this is the case is due to the MJO. An active MJO will increase the risk of blocking but a centrally based Niña is said to 'kill' tropical activity and in turn results in an inactive MJO. This is of similar mechanism to how the IOD impacts the SPV I outlined above with regards to atmospheric waves. It is too complicated for me to simplify so I won't get into anymore details than that.

P.s. I'm holding off on the 2010 comparisons! :-)

Pulled from FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭pauldry

But we have frost most October's and will do at the end of next week too.

Oh you said it was Fakebook

A little more realistic:

According to that FB charts, we don't see frost here until early December on average, which is ridiculous but... it'd not surprise me if we didn't see any frost until then the way things are going this Autumn/Winter season. Ridiculously warm nights for the time of year.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

It's not ridiculously warm for the time of year. 13 by day, 7 by night would be close to the normal October average.

A long fetch south westerly can give us 15-16C at night as late as December.

We're at the time of year when the seasons are changing rapidly, a few short weeks makes a HUGE difference. By mid-November the ground will be colder, the sun much weaker. Colder nights will happen under any clear calm conditions, even if the temps are still mild aloft.

Watch the temps in the Continent plummet between now and then also.

It's ridiculously warm for the time of year:

We may be at that time of year where you would expect the seasons to be changing rapidly... it's just that they don't seem to be changing that much at all.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭highdef

There's nothing ridiculous about the temperatures. The mean temperature has been about 1 to 2° above average over the past 7 days. That's not unusual when you get a warm source of air for a week or more. To use the term "ridiculously warm" to describe temperatures of only 1° to 2° above average over a 7 day period is what is rather ridiculous and is more akin to the type of language you expect to read in the headlines in The Daily Mail to try make much Ado about something that is not that unusual at all, especially at this time of the year when bigger changes of weather tend to occur.

Had we had northerly winds for the past week and instead of mean temperatures being 1° to 2° above average, they were 1° to 2° BELOW average, would you have described the temperatures as being ridiculously cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Let it snow...it begins, Finland right now 😁

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I spy with my little eye, a CFS run implying higher chances of Atlantic blocking in November and December, and a decidedly easterly looking influence in December :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

CFS has been playing around a good deal with cold recently, last week it was running some very bitter January conditions with long fetch siberian flows. Today's run is one of the milder runs with not much in it for us. Could look completely different on tomorrows run.

One thing that has caught my attention recently is that stubborn warm anomaly over NE Canada/Baffin Bay. It's been there for a while now and seemingly, Incoming Pacific lows aren't strong enough to shift it (yet at least), so... could this lead to a continuation of a relatively stable high pressure zone over that region this winter? If so, then it could help with pushing colder flows further down into our part of the Atlantic.

All just speculation and maybe strong lows will eventually replace that persistent high pressure zone in the nearer future. Who knows.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Looking at Accuweather they are saying the tropical storms are already dying off even though hurricane season has another 5 weeks, they have one name left and they think it will go unused. The cause is wind shear over the Caribbean Sea is greatly depressing the chance of any further tropical development this year. So that is probably a good sign for our Winter with fewer storms to disturb that warm anomaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Is it that time again already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,861 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Examiner - White winter ahead: Meteorologists predict bouts of cold air and snow

AccuWeather is predicting that the opportunity for prolonged bouts of cold air will arrive across Northern Europe, especially across Ireland. “Windstorms are not expected to frequently sweep from west to east this season.. "Under a La Niña setup, typically the northern third to the northern half of Europe has an increased chance to encounter cold shots of air,”

“Snow is not necessarily going to come from any individual big storm, but there will be frequent batches of light to moderate snow that can produce a bit of accumulation,”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Nice bit of navel-gazing from de wannabee national paypurr boy!!!

Snow on Cork rooftops?? Where? All I saw was cigarette ash maybe? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

Yip it was a northeasterly blowing shite down from Dublin!! ;-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Just read Accuweather's winter forecast for this part of the world. - An average first half to winter with a notable lack of wind storms. The wind storms more focused on southern Europe/med regions. Second half of winter they say cold particularly for Ireland and the United Kingdom with regular northerlies and easterlies with regular falls of light to moderate snow.

... Usually Accuweather predict a very mild winter throughout for our part of the world, will be interesting to see if their prediction comes through but as we are along way off from the second half of winter I'll take that prediction with a grain of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭esposito

I’ll take the lack of windstorms anyway. They’ll probably get the first half of winter right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement