Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

Davy has the Galway hurlers managers job according to sources here in the Banner county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Just for clarification re Davy to Galway and the rumour mill is in overdrive about the latest news re the Galway senior hurlers manager gig, I still believe that even if recommended for approval to club delegates, then it will be a hard sell to delegates and this thing could drag on for weeks IMO. This could go either way but its fair to say that he is the number one preferred target of the Galway county board for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Because he's the only one who's still interested! If Noel lane said he was interested they'd want him too I'd say, anyone at all will do them at this stage to meet their own supposed deadline of October

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Can only be an improvement, hopefully fitness and tactics benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Looks like its a done deal, Davy Fitzgerald but will he fit Galway??? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Thought he wouldn’t get a gig for years again. Probably will do well with Galway but enjoy the circus and the cringeworthy interviews. Hope Mcdonagh is going to foot the bill before he leaves a massive debt behind him.

Now according to the Clare Times Twitter page, that there’s pushback from the Galway clubs re Davy to Galway. They want Eddie Brennan, who isn’t exactly pulling trees at Cuala. This is a unholy mess, Galway GAA at a crossroads. Much the same here in Clare unfortunately too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭threeball

The whole IC set up shows what an absolute sh1tshow our CB is. No money to give Donoghue but plenty to splash on Davy.

Cian O Neill was stone useless with Kildare but apparently is going to turn our fortunes around.

Some shower of monkeys running the show. The dogs on the street know neither manager was wanted by the Galway players or supporters in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Avon8

O'Neill was hardly stone useless with Kildare getting them to Super 8s and D1. How good do you think their players were? In any case, that was as a manager, so it's less relevant. His reputation as coach from Mayo and Kerry days is impeccable. I suppose the main coach from All Ireland contenders isn't good enough to do similar coaching with Galway? It's a hell of a lot better than what's there anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Who will Davy put as the sweeper?

Its an odd role the Galway hurling manager, nobody seems to want it for whatever reason?

In 2019 it also took ages to fill

Someone will mention money, but from a playing perspective.

Just lost their best player, high expectations by supporters and coming off a year where they were the second or third worst team in the country(with the aforementioned player so God knows where to next).

Doesnt sound like a great proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭letowski

I would still think it's a very appealing opportunity nonetheless. Galway still have alot of high quality young players to form the bones of a team. Yes there is some very experienced players too that Galway will be looking to find replacements for, but there is usually a good pipeline of talent coming through in Galway. Add to that, competing in Leinster with a weaker than usual Kilkenny and a Wexford team under new management aswell, Galway should be at least making the AIQF, even if they are under semi transition next year.

This scenario above doesn’t seem so likely now according to the latest info. As a Clare man I have a lot of time for Galwegians and I would not wish any bad for our friends in The Tribesmen.

to be honest I haven’t got a clue what’s going on, what a mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭threeball

I don't think its correct to say we are the 2nd or 3rd worst team in the country. We topped the league which was hard fought but we have an attitude problem in both football and hurling where we don't respect teams we see as weaker than us. Its especially bad in the hurling where we would regularly struggle against a Carlow, Antrim or Westmeath then go and beat KK, Tipp. This can be seen in how we often lose to Dublin. We see them as weaker but they're good enough to catch us when the attitude is wrong whereas the other teams I mentioned are just a small bit off that.

We pushed Waterford to the line having given them a 20pt lead, again purely down to poor attitude and to a lesser degree bad tactics. Joe is a loss but hes not the player he was 5yrs ago and his influence was waning. Its the Mannions, Whelan, Daithi, who are the driving force behind this team and they'd make any team in the country so to describe it as not a great proposition is incorrect I feel. Are we good enough to beat Limerick, I doubt it but we're certainly good enough to beat all of the rest when the attitude is right.

Ok let me clarify this.

I didnt say "Galway ARE the second or third worst team in the country". I said they were and there's a difference between the two.

What I meant was based on a ranking system, in this moment of time, based off 2021.. Galway would have been the second or third worst team.

Lost to Dublin, who despite that win were still one of the worst teams. Scored 6 points in the first half, followed that up by letting Waterford score a match total in 15mins and realistically only clawed them back(and still botched that) due to the sending off.

So 0:2, which to me on merit put Galway as one of the worst teams in the country, results and performance wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭cosatron

Galway performances in this years championship were as bad as McIntyre's last year and that's saying something and if the rumours circulating afterwards are true its no more than what the players disserved for there no shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭halfforward

Henry it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Henry Shefflin will be announced.

Long live the King

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

90% of people don't want davy in any shape or form so thank god the clubs kicked up if what you're saying about it being offered to him is true

• Advertisement

Shefflin confirmed. A very interesting outcome after all that. From what the options were, this coming from left field definitely is welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Well that wasn’t expected anyway. Very interesting appointment. That man knows the talent is in Galway. Now he just needs to get it out of them.

thank god Davy can’t just walk back into inter county management l. He is just poison

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭jacool

Got the news from Henry second hand from a Tuam herald source, very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭cosatron

What a result. I know he had the hurlers in ballyhale but he had them playing nice stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I was looking forward to Davy and the county board clashing eventually, Henry will be a breath of fresh air and should have the support of all. Best of luck to him.

This is tremendous news. I have very little faith in the County Board, but this shows ambition. Hopefully Shefflin doesn't have the usual blazers hanging around the training ground and dressing room offering advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

As a Kilkenny man I can only say we're jealous. I think he will do well for you and from what I've heard he's bringing Richie O'Neill with him(very good tactically, married to a Galway woman too).

Henry won't suffer fools he will demand a huge amount from the players and the county board but he will get results. Enjoy it, hopefully he'll come back to us one day when the other lad moves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Ah lads Davy has been absolutely rode rotten, so he has. A beautiful ending to a gloomy few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Good bit of business for ye lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Any chance of Joe coming back after this news?

Advertisement