Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭conor05

Plenty of teams had the talent over the years and failed.

Henry is a proven winner and leader in every walk of life, best of luck to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Amazing outcome, never even thought of Shefflin. Should add an extra buzz and bite to the club QFs. If the players aren't energised or play for him then there really is no hope for them. We can look forward to next year with a bit of hope, don't expect him to sort us out completely in the first year, but, I think he'll get us back on the right track and we'll be very competitive.

Shefflin will be ringing him anyway, and you'd imagine Joe will listen. Two of the greatest hurlers ever working together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

As part of the backroom team?

His playing days are over, he's due another groin operation after a club match injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭kk.man

Fair play Galway you got our number one choice of manager. That was some move but genuinely wish you the best of luck. Everything he touched turns to gold.

• Advertisement

Was surprised to see it was Shefflin.

No issues with it, I don't know what he'll bring whereas with Davy, Hanley, Lynskey or O'Donohue I do and I dont think it was going to topple Limerick.

A team is going to have to out coach Limerick to topple them.

Just because he was a great player doesnt mean he'll know how to topple them, just look at Padraig Joyce.

But we'll see what he can do, it's all a mystery at this point, cant overly judge him at club in terms of coaching but regardless he had success which is good.

I'd agree with the need to 'out coach' Limerick if he is to have success. The sending out a team of 6' plus players to out-muscle the opposition isn't going to work against them. Obviously strength and conditioning is still going to be a major factor, but you'd wonder if a return to a smaller and zippier player in the mould of Kevin Broderick (if we have them) could work in the forward line. Try and negate the massive backs pumping ball into the massive forwards style that has become so prevalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭threeball

So the rumour i mentioned last week was on the money. Still a surprising turn of events especially after the drama of yesterday evening.

Great hurler, I'm going to reserve judgement as a manager as theres little to go off. Not undermining his success with Ballyhale but no other club team had anything like the quality that team had. Sometimes his comments in analysis are well wide of the mark and that would leave a question mark in my mind.

Wish him all the best and hopefully he brings a bit of steel to the whole set up. I'd like to see him have some input as to the development structures of underage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

I think there's one last year at the very top for Limerick, as they'll be razor-keen to do a 3-in-a-row. This could also depend on the c'ship structure next year; a reversion to the round-robin provincial system could start taking it's toll on a team that has been able to pace itself fairly well over the past 2 seasons. They've also been reasonably fortunate with injuries as the likes of Lynch, Gillane, Hegarty, midfielders etc. have been nearly ever-presents. Casey is gone next year though and will be a loss, and in spite of what you might hear, the younger players trying to break through have yet to prove themselves, i.e. can they fight their own corner when their teammates are listing around them?

Anyway, best of luck to Shefflin. The comments on the KK thread are envious so that can't be a bad sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Lads/ Ladies do ye reckon Henry might be put up in an apartment from time to time if he wishes? 2hr 40 mins from Ballyhale to Loughgeorge is a serious commute, i presume most of the training is based there? Looking from the outside i was shocked as i got the sense he wouldn't manage any Liam McCarthy county outside of Kilkenny, obviously he feels Cody isn't moving anytime soon. I genuinely wasn't convinced by the Davy rumours for a number of reasons. 1. The Clare Times page that reported it is not a respectable source, some stories they've reported previously have been scandalous genuinely taught at 1 point is was another Waterford Whispers type page. 2. Anybody with their finger on the pulse I'm guessing would have realised it would have divided opinion to put it mildly 3. Several appointments this year haven't been the reported but proven incorrect in my own county Willie Maher and JJ Doyle were tipped and no mention of Darragh Egan, in Tipp it was all Willie Maher rumours and very little Colm Bonner and another out of the blue appointment in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Quick question. How long has Henry Shefflin signed up to Galway for ? 2 yrs

Now my own thoughts, HS coming to Galway is a great move for him and for Galway.

1. Galway : HS probably isn't a great Banisteoir yet, but he will give the team and the fans a much needed lift after a p*ss poor 2021. Surely that's enough to justify whatever he costs.

2. Sheflin. He's biding his time and getting some intercounty experience. KK job is what he's really after. Cody probably gone in a year or two...and HS is the obviously choice to take over from him

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Butson

Maybe they would be better off training in the Duggan Park if Henry is travelling? The on field hurling as opposed to the Strength and Conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Not if he's chasing a 3 in a row with Galway 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

They train in Lough George when the evenings are dark. Then they move to Athenry for Summer months.

Any idea on which quarter finals are being streamed over the weekend? The website is an utter shambles. There's a link on the homepage to the QF Live Streaming. Clicking on it brings you a link for a juicy double-header that took place on the 26th of September. Don't blame the volunteers updating the site, but it's a proper crock of shít.

I presume the two QFs on Sunday are being streamed? No offense to Kilconieron, but wouldn't be at the races compared to Thomas's. Can see the second game being a tighter affair, but you'd expect Craughwell to have too much for Kilnadeema-Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Why are Galway and Mayo voting against option B? Understandable why the Ulster counties are against it, they have a strong provincial championship. Don’t get the Galway and Mayo angle, have they explained their decision?

I'm guessing concerns of 6,7 and 8 in Div 1 no making the knockouts.

I think it’s very poor and weak especially from Galway and Mayo to vote against these reforms

I think the Ulster counties are being selfish as well, but Galway and Mayo have a poor provincial championship as well, pathetic stuff from those two to vote against

I'd agree with you just trying to think of their rationale, alot of self preservation unfortunately same with provincial councils in their media outings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I think Galway have reservations that it hasn't been thought through enough and the effect it will have on fixtures overall. I dont agree with them but club fixtures can be tricky in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Avon8

Because we have an idiot hurling focused chairman who is probably concerned about the cost of team prep rising if there's extra football games. Absolute dinosaurs in Galway CB

Davy confirmed on the Late Late that he had meetings with the Galway CB in the last week or 2.

If B is voted down, I'd love to see the GPA call for strike action.

The balance of power in the GAA is way too much in favour of the men running the show.

The players and management are all firmly in favour of change.

They're already being foolish generating millions of Euro and playing on TV to packed stadiums and getting nothing out of it(which tbh if I was running the GPA I'd be looking to change.. theres only so many changing rooms that can be built and other sports manage that while paying the men who generate the money).

If their wishes are overlooked here I think the GPA really need to have a rethink about the direction they are taking.

Too soft IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭threeball

Plan B is a terrible solution and I'm glad the county board are voting against it. What other competition in the world would you take your 7th strongest team and dump them out of the competition in favour of your 21st best team.

And for what, that 21st best team will get a pasting in their first game against top opposition and its over anyway. You'll end up with Galway, Mayo or Roscommon getting ditched in favour of Wicklow who in turn get the pleasure of being hammered by Kerry rather than Dublin.

It improves nothing for anyone. Its actually less games in championship than they got under the back door system (yes the league is technically the championship but you're still only facing your regular league opposition). It also reduces the chances for younger players as managers can take less risks in the league so don't expect to see Culhane or other promising players until they're replacing players being put out to grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭cson

Fantastic appointment.

Thank God we avoided the Davy circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭The Guru 123

Any word or rumours on what Galway men he'll have involved in his backroom team?

According to the Connacht Tribune Davy's still in line for Galway job 🤣! A lot of red faces there I'm sure this week, must be printed fairly early in week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

It would be printed usually sometime on Wednesday I'd say. An acquaintance of mine with very good contacts heard the Shefflin rumour on Wednesday morning.

• Advertisement

By Wednesday morning Davy looked to be out of the running again,surely they shouldn't have ran with Davy about to be announced.

Anyway Shefflin's appointment is really interesting, he'll bring a winner's mentality into the dressing room, command instant respect from all the players and officials. Surely the players will want to be involved and play for him. His appointment alone has given the county a huge boost. It'll be interesting for him too going from Kilkenny where all he knew is winning and being the favourites to a team who prefer being underdogs and who constantly underachieve. If he does nothing else but change the mentality and attitude of the squad he's halfway there.

Advertisement