Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭threeball

There's lads sitting at home that would run rings round half the lads that are out there and their only issue is they were born in the wrong place. This all goes back to my previous post of how we need to expand our development squads to develop these players that are getting lost in the cracks and expose them to hurling at this level at any early age. We're just not making the most of the talent we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭prishtinaboy99

Wouldn’t matter who Galway put out against that Cork Team, they Are a freak Outfit. Nobody has come within an asses roar of them.

There won’t be a minor team like them for a long time.

Its scary the talent Cork have coming through at the moment,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Agreed. It's probably the best minor team I've ever seen come out of Cork. I couldn't see us losing if I'm honest.

I thought the Galway manager spoke very well at the end. If you are going to bs stopped from winning 5 in a row, it might as well be by a team that good.

To win 4 in a row is a fantastic achievement nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Hopefully you are right. We have had a famine in Cork in all grades for nearly the last 20 years in hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

It's quite obvious that despite winning four-in-a-row we really have been doing it wrong all the time. Would you rather we didn't win them at all?

• Advertisement

Thats the kind of myopic crap I've come to expect from you. It was the same when you were singing Joyce's praises back at the start of the league. Look how that turned out.

The reality is that we're parachuted into an all ireland semi final at a time when KK are unusually poor at underage. How many of our minors come through to senior from these all ireland champions. Do you really believe that one club had 9 of the best minors in the county and that 9 other clubs produced all the rest?

Cork had 3 junior clubs represented. How many had we?

Its this kind of blinkered outlook that has shackled Galway GAA for decades.

Cork have the talent because they nutured them. Sitting back and waiting for their talent to go away so we can pick up a handy one is not the view we should take or it will be another 30yrs before we win at senior again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We've just won 4 in a row at minor level, so not that unexpected that we lost, but, it's the manner of the defeat that's worrying, also by U20 level our minor all Ireland winning teams are already overtaken by the likes of Cork and even Dublin as we saw this summer, looks like we'll struggle to even get one U20 All Ireland from those minor teams, which points to poor coaching and general management of players after minor level, same with the step up to senior, we have as much talent as the top level teams, but, it's been wasted and squandered by bad coaching and management, been like that for 30 years or more, one senior All Ireland in over 30 years for the talent available in the county is criminal.

What are you going on about? We've won 4-in-a-row at Minor level so we must have been doing something right. If these 4 teams were picked from a small coterie of clubs, it was obviously the correct thing to do. Results bear that out. I personally don't care what club a player comes from as long as he's good enough. Cork have done a Minor / U20 double because they had a great group of players come along at the same time. That's no guarantee of future success or that they're suddenly the model to aspire to. Let them prove themselves at Senior level first and we'll anoint them then.

Hanley was surprised and delighted to reach this year's final as he said basically it is next year's team. Judge them then and see if they're from the right clubs or not.

Remind me what I said about Joyce, it's so long ago I don't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Is minor Anthony Keady related to the great Tony Keady?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Finnerty, Keady, McInerney, an amazing halfbackine in their day,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

What Small clubs would you think have players losing out?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Robert2014

Talk of both senior management teams for both football and hurling being reappointed. God help us! Looks like Joe Brolly was right all along. We are not serious about winning in both codes. May be if Mayo won, it would give the County Board the kick up the hole needed, but I doubt it. What a joke!

I certainly won't be attending any football games next year if that's the case. Easy to turn it off from home when the inevitable failure comes.

Let's be honest, some of Mayos new young players arent up to much, I dont think Tommy Conroy would be anywhere up to some of our younger players.

But Horans a shrewd operator and hes getting the max from his players while we're getting the least.

We didnt win one single kickout against Mayo, if Joyce thinks that's a team who've really searched for the percentages he really needs to just give up. It's basically a team who are giving away the percentages... how could you possibly beat teams equal or better than you if you're going to give them 15% extra in terms of organisation and structures.

We wouldn't have beat Dublin as they wouldn't lose to a team who let's them win every kick out while half of theirs. Its hardly a coincidence that they finally lost a game where they didnt win much more than 50% of the total kickouts.. for years they were winning 80% of the total.

With the hurling, well with the overall level of coaching going on from minor through I dont think it really matters if ONeill stays on for another year as its endemic of our total structure that needs to change.

Along with Canning gone we're nothing more than the rest of the pack now, somewhere around Wexford/Clare. That's not going to change in a year but longer term planning is needed there.

Get in a Director of hurling and set a pathway for development from underage and then someone like ONeill only has to manage and pick the team and we should see a certain level of performance regardless of who's in charge.

Limerick had scored more in like 12mins than a few of our teams managed in an entire game across the grades.

Certain scoring totals need to be hit regardless of results and when they're not hit, it asks serious questions of the coaching standards(more applicable to hurling as you can score from your half).

It was inevitable that Joyce would be kept on, don't agree with it myself, as it will be another wasted year with little to no progress made, but, he was always going to get another year solely based on his footballing career, not his management credentials. I'm not too sure even if we got the most out of the team, we'd challenge for an All Ireland, but, we should certainly be better than we are.

Keeping SON on as hurling manager is a massive mistake, the performances in the championship were notthing short of disgraceful this year, can't think of a year we performed worse, he oversaw the Dublin debacle yet they were even worse against Waterford. Joe Canning leaving is also a bad sign, you'd imagine if he thought the team was likely to challenge next year he might hang on, so he must think they're going nowhere( his decision was made long before Limerick dismantled Cork). If we sorted ourselves out in the hurling we could definitely challenge for an all Ireland as the raw material is there.

We are in for another year of mediocrity next year as there will be little to no progress in both codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Disappointing to see only 200 allowed to club championship matches outside of county grounds for football and hurling championship this year and €15 seems fairly steep for intermediate matches especially. Hope they will be continuing with streaming of matches this year as a lot of club fans will be denied opportunity to see their teams in action this year. Understand there's a pandemic and restrictions needed but thought they could allow the 500 number for all club matches.

Don't know if this is a ruling for all counties given by Gaa or if these numbers of 200 apply to Galway only .

The streaming prices were ridiculous last year. Was basically E10 a match, or E10 for a double header(maybe the double header was even more).

They should be charging e40 odd for the entire lot.

As someone without a club, and I'm sure for any neutrals as well, you're not coughing up near admission prices to watch a random club game.

This day 20 years ago, Matt Clancy's 15 minutes of fame. Where does the time go?

Recent results have shown that the All Ireland is now wide open in football for the next few years. Keeping Joyce has ensured we will miss that window of opportunity. We have players every bit as good as Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone and Dublin but tactically we're prehistoric in comparison.

• Advertisement

While I'd agree that keeping Joyce will mean we miss that window over the next 2/3 years, I'm not too sure we have the talent to win an All Ireland, but, we should definitely be doing better and be in a position to take advantage if the top teams slip.

Also, it's not really that wide open, Mayo have been the second best team in the country for the best part of a decade, Tyrone are in their second final of the last few years, Kerry despite today's loss, have a production line of talent coming through and Dublin will be back, probably not as dominant but, as the main contenders along with Kerry probably over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Mayo aren't that great, the team of 5 or 6yrs ago was much better. That team would have trounced the current Dublin team. Kerry have a really poor defence and are always vulnerable as a result. We have as much of a production line ourselves as we were their opponents in alot of their minor victories and went on to win at u20s. Tyrone should have been beaten by Monaghan and even as badly managed as we are we should have dealt with them comfortably.

There's plenty there to work with if given the right guidance.

We definitely should be performing better, but, we'd still be outsiders against Dublin, Kerry ( who I think are poorly managed considering the talent available to them) and Mayo. Tryone are probably similar to ourselves but with better management. Personally think Mayo will beat Tyrone quite easily in the final as the tactics they used yesterday won't work against Mayo. We would definitely perform better with a better manager, maybe even reach a final, but, we'd be outsiders in it.I'd like who ever is manager to get close to the full potential out of them which is not currently happening, same for the hurlers, if that's good enough to win an all Ireland, that's great, if not at least we've done our best, just beaten by better teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

so it's €30 for myself and my 4 year old son to go watch a match this weekend???? Am I reading that correctly???

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Don't know what the story is with children but guessing as it's ticket only that they will need to purchase a ticket as they are included in 200 capacity. These numbers will change now on the back of govt announcement today so im sure gaa will review for matches post 6th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Does anyone know where you could buy a year till Sunday on dvd.doesn’t seem to be on Amazon.many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I have not been there in a while but if somebody is passing Zhivagos they could check for you. I think it’s called OMG now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Had it confirmed yesterday that U14's can accompany FOC. Would have been ridiculous otherwise to be honest.

Advertisement