Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Thanks very much I’ll try omg shop. Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Robert2014

Rte says that Shane O'Neil doesn't want to take up the option of a 3rd year. Right decision, although the fat that the County Board waited for him to fall on his sword doesn't look good. Now if our football manager could do the same thing....

Are we heading for the return of a certain you know who from Sixmilebridge to the West? Will Pat McDonagh use his financial clout to bring DF back from the Sunny South East to the Atlantic? The West will well and truly be fully awake if that scenario transpires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Can't be true surely?? 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

I honestly couldn't think of a worse appointment.

We tried this shite with Loughnane before and everyone saw how that turned out.

Davy is a dinosaur.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Heading for a return alright, but it’s a return to the most recent Galway All Ireland winning hurling manager, if rumours are to be believed that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Didn't think we could afford Davy, thought we were broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭threeball

Hard to see him come back after how he was treated. Cant see the CB improving any on that front. They're rank amateur.

Davy can go take a running jump though. I'd take Babs keating over Davy Fitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

After being in Pearse Stadium this evening if Conor Flaherty isn't the Galway goalie next year something is wrong somewhere. Kickouts against a full press was impressive. Saved a penalty. And to cap it off ran the length of the pitch beat 6 or 7 players and unlucky for him cracked the ball off the post that may of won the game for Claregalway if it flew in. Very Beggan/Morgan feel about him.

Of other county players Sean Kelly didn't play. Paul Kelly very good. Peter Cooke had a decent game some nice scores. Dessie Connelly was kept quiet by Jack Glynn (went off injured) James McLaughlin (minor/U20) filled out well and may progress to senior this year. Conor Campbell decent for Claregalway.

• Advertisement

Meaths women's footballers have spent more time working on their short kick outs and movement than our mens team.

Presented last night.

Its a start but they need to cast the net wider, earlier. Players showing promise from 14 on should be involved in regional development squads, getting exposure to high level coaching, playing development squads from around the county (should have at least 5) and playing some development squads from outside the county too. By the time they get to 17 they're already zoning in on a select group and trying to push them through the next 3 grades without actually having a bigger picture of what's out there. Lads or girls not playing in the top divisions stand little to no chance of getting a look in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭MfMan

'Appointment ...within 3 years' smacks a bit of hoping rather than expecting it will happen. Still, it's a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The best of luck to the camogie team today

Well done to the girls today, looked in trouble, but, turned things around in last 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭MfMan

Terrific achievement. Great heart shown when the chips were down with 10 minutes to go. A lesson to others there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Great camogie final. The Galway girls showed great bottle to come back from the goal after 50 mins. Super stuff.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Lads, wouldn't worry about that Clare Times page, taught at 1st it was a Waterford whispers type spoof page, then when i called out the faceless cowards behind the page for other nonsense they were spouting they blocked me, charming folk.

• Advertisement

He already said he hasn't talked to the CB and isn't interested. Says MD should get the job, which he should.

There needs to be some decisions made on the football side. The weekend showed just how wide open the window of opportunity is to win an All Ireland and the right decisions need to be made to facilitate that. New management being the first one.

20 years today since our last Sam Maguire and as far away as ever. Such a shame for a proud football county. Maybe a Mayo win would have the pressure on for us to put the structures in place to compete again. At the moment it's very hard for us to say that we would win it again in the next 20 years.

Even more embarrassing is that we haven't even played a competitive semi final and only won one game in Croke Park since.

Id put us only slightly ahead of Meath in the table for biggest underachievers this century.

Most exciting thing to happen in years with a Galway is appearing on the first tee at the Ryder Cup! Says it all

If you said 20 years ago we wouldn't have won at least one, no one would have believed you, the fact is we haven't even come anywhere close, which is the most disappointing thing, at least Mayo are getting close.

The only thing I would say is when we won in 98, we weren't expected to win and in the years leading up to 98 we weren't really serious contenders either, things can change fairly quickly, before the semi final this year no one thought Tyrone would have won it. We need to get the management setup right first to give us a chance, don't think PJ is the man for the job. I think with Jack O Connor going back to Kerry they could dominate the next few years and Dublin are likely to come back again probably not as strong but, serious contenders.

I wouldn't worry too much about O Connor, he didn't exactly tear up any trees in Kildare and played with fear.

As for us, until we get a manager who can make a team of us and not 15 individuals playing together then we're on a hiding to nothing.

There's a golden opportunity to end the famine in the next couple of years if the right options are taken. Unfortunately we're notorious for taking the wrong ones.

O Connor will be working with a different standard of player in Kerry, all he really needs to do is shore them up defensively. As for ourselves we are certainly not getting the best out of our senior teams in both codes, we seem to play as individuals and not always pulling in the same direction.

Looks like Donohue will be back in charge of the hurlers, not sure if this is a good move, I know he did win an AI, but, felt his last two seasons in charge, he didn't really get the best out of the squad available to him at the time. He'll be taking over a much weaker squad now. The big positive is they can't be any worse than this year so anything will be an improvement.

In both codes I think all we want is for our teams to play to their potential and to get the best out of them, if that's good enough to win an AI, great, if not so be it, but, at least we'd know there wasn't an awful lot more that could be done. I think in both codes it's fair to say neither has really gotten the best out of themselves in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Centrepassage

Michael Donoghoe has pulled out of the race to be next galway manager. Davy at club match last sunday in galway. He is on the way boys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Whats the story with Joyce? Has it been confirmed he’s staying? Lots of rumours flying around of players holding a vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Eamon O'Shea has been mentioned. I'd be suprised if it's Davy.

Advertisement