Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Lamb here also!

Loin of lamb, marinated in whiskey and marmalade with a whiskey / marmalade sauce.

Delicious, but I should have reduced the sauce a lot more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I like the star anise touch on top! Looks delicious. I have never cooked duck; can I just pan fry the breast like chicken? Any tips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

You're missing out! Takes a bit longer than chicken. Score the fat in a criss/cross fashion. Put in on a cold pan fat side down on to a medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes till starts fat is rendered of and nicely browned. Will depend on your hob how long it takes. Pour of the fat don't throw it out save it for roasting potatoes. Flip over and into oven for 5 minutes at 180 for nice rare pink duck 10 if you like it cooked through.

• Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Score fat, cold pan.

its not like chicken, much easier to balls up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

If you have one, a sous vide makes cooking duck (and goose) almost foolproof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've posted this several time, at this stage. As far as I am concerned, this is the only way to cook duck breasts (I don't have a sous vide system).

Too late for this time but someone a few years ago gave me this tip for cooking duck breast and I haven't cooked it any other way since. It is a bit more work but the result is super, super tender meat. I've posted it here before but here goes again:

Put your breast skin side down (skin slashed a few times with a sharp knife) in a cold, dry pan over a medium heat.

After a few minutes, the fat will start to render out. Start to spoon the hot fat over the breast, keeping an eye on your heat so that the skin doesn't burn. For a medium rare breast, continue to do this for about 15 minutes.

Let your breast rest for 5 or 10 minutes (although this cooking method is so gentle that resting is almost unnecessary). Slice and serve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭sporina

one of the best dishes I have seen here and I don't even like lamb that much but I can appreciate it none the less. wow - hats off to you

me no likey gravy either.. so your not alone there.. prob had too many meals ruined with it while dining out when younger "would you like dinner with your gravy?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Suckler

Same. Lumpy gravy as a child has put me off the stuff for life. I find a lot of English people I've met would eat cardboard as long as it was swimming in gravy.

Gravy made from the juices of a roast is amazing though.

• Advertisement

yeah I like a little of the really good stuff myself.. made with the juices of the roast meat.. but I HATE when your dining out and your dinner comes swimming in gravy... grr... by all means leave a jog of it on the table and let customers pour themselves if they wish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

God i normally ask for extra gravy 😂

But I can't have food too dry, otherwise I have issues. So i have an excuse lol

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Recliner

I always ask for gravy or sauce on the side so I can judge for myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Haven't posted in a while, made this Sunday night, and this was Tuesdays dinner (chilli always tastes better a few days later imo)

Creamy mashed potatoes (forget rice, mash and chilli are the perfect pair) and chilli made from scratch with steak mince.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Cauliflower Cheese Pie with a wholemeal shortcrust base. Looks a bit messy, but was very tasty indeed.

• Advertisement

My partner was away at a meal with her siblings that I was invited to but not really invited to so... I decided to treat myself. Goose breast, braised cabbage and apple and potato dauphinois. Orange, blackberry and wine sauce.

Two things, 1) I did not eat all that potato, there's at least half left for tomorrow (promise) and 2) I did the slice and fan thing to see how it eats given I always think that it's something that looks pretty but the meat gets cold very quickly, even with hot plates.

I was correct. I'm not a fan. It looks nice, but I prefer the solid block of meat that keeps it's temp a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,622 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Did you buy the goose breast separately? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it on sale……

Yep, Lidl have them a lot of the time. €4.99 a breast. Down the back right if the layout is the same as mine. Frozen food section.

turkey and ham with all the trimmings.. hmmmmmmm.... hug happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This:

However, I couldn't find marsala so used dry sherry - which is white not red, and my mushrooms were generic white mushrooms so the sauce was more green than brown.

Chicken worked out amazingly. Sauce would have benefited from following the recipe properly! Ate with mash because I forgot to buy gnocchi; there's no carb sides in that video but I'd guess gnocchi would be ideal. Will remake if I can find some marsala; and now I need to use the rest of a bottle of dry sherry before it goes off.

^ Hold onto your horses. Sherry lasts for months after opening. 😋

Dry sherry is a great rice wine substitute - so great in Asian dishes and more. And, as said, for cooking purposes, sherry lasts pretty much indefinitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Butternut squash, filled with mince, rice, and kale (cooked with onion, garlic, tomato puree, stock, cinnamon and herbs). And topped with a little parmesan cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Recliner

Had roast chicken yesterday with all the trimmings. So today made a chicken and mushroom pie, with the leftover pots on top and sprinkled with the leftover stuffing for extra crispness. Fried off the leftover veg in butter, salt, pepper and grated nutmeg.

Delicious and plenty left for tomorrow.

I read a statistic somewhere recently that 60% of our food gets thrown away. Horrifying thought. So I've decided to try and cut back as much as possible on our own food waste.

Get some chickens. They eat everything - all your trimmings, leftovers and grass clippings. 😋 🐓

No pic but we went veggie tonight with a Pistou Linguine from Mary Berry. It was really quick and delicious!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pistou_linguini_37127

Chicken in a creamy white wine sauce with pasta and spinach.

We recently received a fair a bit of wine... but we're not wine drinkers, so need to find creative uses for it in the kitchen :P

Actually we've a few bottles of prosecco gathering dust too... any recipe suggestions for those?! :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cbreeze

not in my house it doesn't!! It seems to evaporate through the cork all the time 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

I use wine in lots of cooking! I find a way to stick it in there somehow.... If you have white wine, get roast loin of pork and season and sear it, add more or less full bottle of wine, rosemary, thyme lots of garlic, and cream for the last 20 minutes, on the hob for an hour, delicious! failing that, I am also willing to take any wine off your hands if it would make life easier for you! 😉

First time making Cheese & Potato Pie. Definitely not the last, amazing! 😋

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cheese_and_potato_pie_52107

• Advertisement

Is dry vermouth a good sub for white wine in cooking?

Spagbol. Didn't have any milk though. Anyway, added some of that boar salami from Lidl into it for a bit of difference, worked out quite well as did mushrooms (I don't really like mushrooms or at least I'm training myself to like them so I've never put them in before). Also tried the whole dark chocolate thing that I do with chilli, definitely wasn't a negative.

@Dave_The_Sheep question,Milk?

What do you need milk for?

Many people put milk in their bolognese\ragu towards the end, or even cream/milk mixture. I don't pretend to know why, but I've done it before and it's lovely. Apparently quite traditional too.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Some lamb chops with pee puree and a kick of habanero

No, it really isn't. Some people claim otherwise. Yes, I have tried it and I wasn't happy!

To me, it would be like substituting gin for vodka - they taste completely different. Perhaps if it was just a dash in a strongly flavoured sauce, it would be fine but it ruined a dish for me - the whole dish tasted of vermouth. It went down the drain.

Maybe your palate is more refined than mine tbr, but I’ve never had any complaints about the taste of vermouth in my dishes. Vermouth is, by itself, disgusting so they’d have plenty to moan about. 😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

Mmmm, it can be used, but its definitely not quite the same as white wine. Depending how much you are using too. A splash or so would be fine but a good glug or half bottle I wouldn't substitute it for wine....

Utterly unhealthy but f*ck it it's Friday. Pan-fried breaded chicken with mash, creamy pepper-whiskey-mushroom sauce and roasted romanesco broccoli. If you like cauliflower and broccoli, you'll like that - it's kind of a cross between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Ludikrus

Unhealthy says who? That’s top class home cooked grub 👍

I was thinking the same thing! It might be healthier to cook the chicken in the oven than fry it, but overall I wouldn't count that as an unhealthy meal. I've burgers and chips on the menu for tonight 🙈

Fair points, but there was a lot of cream in both the sauce and - as well as plenty of butter - the potatoes, etc. I don't mind too much though, it's a cheat meal. It's not like I eat it every day (though I will admit I am eating it again today, ****).

Post edited by Dave_The_Sheep on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

It doesn't look too pretty, but it was seriously tasty.

Oven-roasted butternut squash, spicy garlicy wedges, broccoli and a blue cheese sauce. Well, I say blue cheese - there was some blue cheese, some gubeen and some raw-milk cheese that all needed using up. The sauce packed quite a punch, and was wonderful with the sweet squash!

• Advertisement

A mish mash of things, omelette (kale, onions, mushrooms, salami and cheese) with toasted rye bread, hummus, cauliflower pickle, and lots of parsley. That's instant tomato soup in my BFG cup.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Paella.

Post edited by Planet X on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

Beef Burrito

Is the difference between a burrito and fujita just rice?

Burritos normally have rice and beans. A fajitas is mainly onions and peppers with grilled meat

• Advertisement
Advertisement