Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deirdre Jacob missing twenty years Today.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Did the purse not have any form of ID in it?

Thats fcuking terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Regarding Eva Brennan - she went missing only a few months after Annie McCarrick; and absolutely vanished without trace. Not a whisper ever seen again, just in one afternoon.

And we do know that LM was an opportunistic criminal - who struck fast, when the opportunity arose. I wouldn't rule him out of the Brennan case at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

There was a piece about Annie McCarrick in the past week on the Sunday world crime World podcast, a Spanish rapist and murderer had stowed away on a ship and arrived in Dublin 2 days before she went missing. A family friend of the McCarricks was investigating and I think there was a Spanish TV crew filming something in Dublin about the murderer. I only heard the first few minutes of the podcast and never got back to it. I'll listen again on my way home from work this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Alan Bailey - the retired Garda detective who investigated the missing Leinster women cases and who regularly gives media interviews about this and other notorious cases he worked on throughout his career - believes the killer of Annie Mc Carrick was a senior member of the Provisional IRA who enlisted the help of his comrades to dispose of her body and evidence in the aftermath. No prosecution is ever likely.

• Advertisement

If this senior PIRA member is known is he suspected of any other crimes against women?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Apparently not. I'm just reading that very book at the moment and the whole "IRA Guy" story sounds mighty thin to me.

The story alleges that this chap was on the run, hiding out, in Dublin. Went up the hills for a drink (thinking nobody would recognise him) and met Annie - and they became so fixated with each other that she stayed out, and skipped collecting her wages, or cooking for the guests that were invited to her home that evening. Quite totally out of character for her, says everyone that knew her.

So - the tale continues - this improbable couple, Annie and the terrorist, go on chatting and drinking; and he gets loose-lipped and tells her a bunch of secret IRA stuff that he shouldn't have mentioned; oops!

Only dawns on him when they were about to leave that he has been too indiscreet - and so he decides to silence her - does that - and can even persuade a couple of his IRA mates to help him hide the body next morning.

It all sounds utterly fabricated to me: the main glaring anomaly is that Annie would not have stayed so late since she was expected at home for her own dinner party. She hadn't even put away the groceries in the fridge.

My guess is that she was the victim of an opportunistic criminal who attacked her when she was walking near Enniskerry - not too long after she arrived there.

Who was it? Who can say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I had a weird experience one summer evening in the 90’s when I was a teenager. I was leaving the shop near my home and I was one of the last customers around 9:30pm. Across the road outside a pub there was a small two seater white van parked. As I was crossing the road on the now deserted street to go home a woman inside the van called across to me. She said she was from the local radio station and was doing a survey and would I take part. I was in a hurry so I said no and continued walking. At this stage I had crossed the road and was walking away in the opposite direction from the van. She got out of the van and called after me another couple of times that the survey would not take long and I could sit into the front of the van with her while I was doing it.

I don’t know if she was genuine or not but I’ve often thought down through the years it was a bit odd. The van was a two seater white van with no windows in the back and if she was working for the radio station wouldn’t it have had the stations logo on it. She was also outside a pub and would surely have found someone there to do a survey easily. Maybe I’m making mountains out of a molehill but I’ve often wondered why she was being so insistent on I getting into the van with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Sounds like you dodge a bullet of some sort there, I. You can see how easily people can get caught up in bad situations.

As the guy says in ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’, “The fear of offending is stronger than the fear of pain”.

The tide is turning…

Yeah I was lucky I was in a hurry and it was because my older sister and her friends had sent me to the shop to get sweets before the Rose Of Tralee started. When I told them what happened they just laughed. Down through the years I’ve often wondered though. It was really weird the way she got out of the van and kept calling me and telling me I should get in the van.

• Advertisement

Was she definitely a she?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

yeah like other old garda investigations that sounds like utter gobbledygook

Yes she stood out of the van and spoke directly to me. It was probably nothing but has often played on my mind. I’ll never know but it made me nervous and was a weird encounter to say the least.

Never heard of the link between the IRA and Annie McCarrick, unlike the supposed link with them and the murder of Raonaid Murray.

I have never heard of the supposed IRA link to the death of Raoinid Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,001 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Very peculiar alright. You saying 'no' and that you didn't want to do the survey should have been the end of the conversation. Also, very odd that she would want you get into a vehicle with her. That is not how surveys are ever conducted : it's either done door-to-door or face-to-face on the street.

Sounds like your common sense and gut instinct got you out of a tricky situation.

The, alleged, murderer has no direct links to the IRA but someone in her family is, alleged, to have been a , very high up, member. This person was known to victim and is believed to have had a history aggressive, and violent, behaviour and may have seen the victim as a “love rival”. The angle of attack, the potential weapon and the force used has led investigators to suspect the murderer was a woman.

The vandalism of Raonaid’s grave and, subsequent, attack on her memorial website by a, mobilised, online group would suggest a personal motive but backed by a powerful “group”.

It’s best not to go into it as it will end up with the thread getting locked, as has happened with others when it comes up on anniversaries etc.

The tide is turning…

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I remember the Raonaid Murray murder very well. My best mate’s girlfriend at the time lived in the area Raonaid was murdered and after her murder was (rightfully) terrified - as were all her girl friends - to walk anywhere after dark in the area with out a guy, preferably my best mate, accompanying her. I don’t think her murder is thought to be linked to the other disappearances.

I’ve always been of the suspicion that Larry Murphy was responsible for Jo Jo Dollard, Deirdre Jacob and at least one of the other women who went missing during the 1990s. The timeline fits.

I really hope that Deirdre’s family will get some sort of closure before long.

@Immortal Starlight - that is a very unnerving experience and sounds like you had a lucky escape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭anais

Gosh I used to "thumb a lift" from Carlow town out the road to my home place regularly every weekend when working in the early ninties

. I was in college so around 1992 on. A guy used to stop and give me a lift every so often. I thought nothing of it,as if it was his regular way home. Struck me as odd,this guy, as he never spoke, I was just glad of the lift.

Until one time he asked if I minded if he took a detour. I noticed a bag of tools at my feet , hammer and saw falling out of it. I remember feeling v scared but felt I couldn't jump out of a moving car! I said when we pulled up outside a strange house in the countryside that I knew the neighbours, and that my mother would be wondering where I was. He went into the house, I considered running but knew I was at least 6 miles from home.

Henreturned after a while and he dropped me on the main road. I never hitched again. The story of JoJo Dollard was in the news at the time, it has always made me wonder tho, or maybe he was just a kind, quiet guy who gave hitchhikers lifts

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

IIRC hitchhiking went very out of vogue in the latter 1990s. Not surprising looking back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Does anyone know what Larry Murphy is supposed to have said to his inmate in regards to his crimes ?did he actually deceive what he did to poor Deirdre ? And did he refer to doing it to anyone else ? I wonder also if he said it remorseful while drunk or did he actually boast about what he did!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I remember walking home in the mid 70's not too far from that area. I am male around 12, 13 at the time. I was nearly outside my house when this car (yellow fiat) pulls up opens the door and asks if I wanted a lift. I said that I was ok as I was just opposite the house at the time. that didn't stop him, he then said he knew my parents and had some sweets. I then walked away with him calling after me. He looked respectable short haired (for the time) and well dressed early 30's late twenties. Told my parents who hadn't a clue who he might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭spakman

I was hitching a lift from one town to another (about 30 miles) when I was about 21 I'd say.

A man in his 60s or 70s stopped and gave me a lift. seemed a nice man, full of chat and a happy disposition.

When he was telling me some story/joke, he slapped my knee/thigh which was a bit awkward but no big deal.

Then later he put his hand on my thigh again and left it there...

He didn't do anything else, but next village we were going through, I told him I'd be grand from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Hes not the type to feel remorse. No doubt it was boasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Seems two witnesses seen a naked and screaming women running through moone on the night Jojo dullard went missing , a truck driver and his boss passing through ,and tried to help the unidentified woman . Garda were called from a call box at the time ,

How is this only coming the public attention now

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/truck-driver-tells-gardai-he-saw-woman-running-naked-and-screaming-through-village-on-the-night-of-jo-jo-dullards-disappearance-40957273.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,001 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, it was something along the lines of him pulling up alongside her in his car with a map in his hand looking for directions and then dragging her into the car. I don't recall any mention of what happened next or how he is meant to have murdered her.

I don't think it was said that he had confessed to any other murder (it's certainly possible that LM was responsible only for the abduction of the Carlow woman and Deirdre's disappearance and the other missing women had nothing to do with him).

I remember reading somewhere that he told the Carlow woman something like "I'm going to bury you like the others". I'm sure I read somewhere else once that LM and John Crearer were known to one another. It also seems unlikely that JC, having committed the crime he did in the late 70s, never reoffended again between that and when he was finally caught in 2002 or thereabouts.

• Advertisement

The two of them were spotted together in some remote spot at one point. Never heard much else about them knowing one another.

The tide is turning…

Advertisement