Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deirdre Jacob missing twenty years Today.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Laois_Man wrote: »
    No, her mother wasn't home.

Could have been Larry Murphy
    Could have been John Crerar
    Could have been lots of people!

We all know it could be lots of people, but Newbridge is less than half an hour from where LM brought his victim and the the place where the hunters spotted him is about than an hour away.

Either way the poor girl must have went through hell, and some b*****d knows what happened to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Laois_Man wrote: »
    No, her mother wasn't home.

Could have been Larry Murphy
    Could have been John Crerar
    Could have been lots of people!

We all know it could be lots of people, but Newbridge is less than half an hour from where LM brought his victim and the the place where the hunters spotted him is about than an hour away.

Either way the poor girl must have went through hell, and some b*****d knows what happened to her.
    I thought that L.M. told someone in prison that he did it. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Feel so sorry for her family after watching it tonight and obviously a victim's family can't take the law into their own hands, but I'd imagine if one were to arrange the kidnap and torture of Murphy for answers that the law mightn't be too hard on you.

How he has not been tracked down and at the very least hospitalised is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

How he has not been tracked down and at the very least hospitalised is crazy.

Unfortunately or otherwise, we are supposed to have some evidence, and a trial, before a person can be treated as guilty of a crime.

Whatever our private guesses might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,001 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If "the well known suspect" was the actual killer, it was an incredible stroke of luck he was caught purely by chance and jailed for another very serious crime not long afterwards. That other crime took place only 18 months after Deirdre went missing. Who knows what might have happened had he not been identified that night......a string of killings perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

The family is not alone. They are in my prayers as is Deirdre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

I thought that L.M. told someone in prison that he did it. ?

according to last night's RTE programme, Murphy was in Newbridge on the day she disappeared.
    also as you said the programme stated that Murphy told a fellow prisoner that he nabbed a girl in Newbridge and bungled her into his car, after asking for directions.

Deirdre was "lifted" as she was walking into the driveway of her home. she disappeared into thin air, so there's no doubt in my mind she was taken by car, as were most of those other girls who have "disappeared", taken to a quiet rural location and...

at the very least have AGS ever traced the vehicle Murphy was usiing on that day? if not why not? if so has said vehicle been forensically analysed? did Murphy stay overnight in lodgings in Newbridge or the surrounding area? have AGS ever forensically analyzed those places?

i mean DUH!!! you dont need Sherlock Holmes to figure this one out! imo opinion Murphy should be arrested and charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

i mean DUH!!! you dont need Sherlock Holmes to figure this one out! imo opinion Murphy should be arrested and charged.

Ever heard of this thing called quantum of evidence? You need substantial, quantifiable evidence that this is the case not a he said she said random conversation before you can charge someone for murder. that RTE programme is all hearsay, and thats not evidence, it won't stand up in court.

If they had any substantial evidence do you not think they would have arrested and charged him already?

at the very least have AGS ever traced the vehicle Murphy was usiing on that day? if not why not? if so has said vehicle been forensically analysed? did Murphy stay overnight in lodgings in Newbridge or the surrounding area? have AGS ever forensically analyzed those places?

Very good questions and in fact there has been very little ever said about these forensic possibilities.

But you can't just charge someone with "I think you did X"
    You have to have evidence.
    Eyewitness reports of any kind do count as evidence...at the very least they can tweak an investigation in a certain direction.
    I imagine that's what the Guards are hoping for...more witness reports, however minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Kamili wrote: »
    Ever heard of this thing called quantum of evidence? You need substantial, quantifiable evidence that this is the case not a he said she said random conversation before you can charge someone for murder. that RTE programme is all hearsay, and thats not evidence, it won't stand up in court.

If they had any substantial evidence do you not think they would have arrested and charged him already?

Yeah I agree with you. It would be great to see justice done for Deirdre and her family but it’s not as simple as “someone somewhere said he did it so arrest and charge the bastard”. A file has to be prepared with all evidence attached and sent to the DPP, it is up to the DPP then to decide whether or not charges can be brought. If he was arrested and charged based on hearsay it would be very easy for him to get an acquittal. As easy as seems to be to pin this one on Larry there is absolutely nothing substantial to say he did it apart from being near the area and being a disgusting rapey bastard. That’s not to say there isn’t another disgusting rapey bastard who has committed similar crimes who has yet to be caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

according to last night's RTE programme, Murphy was in Newbridge on the day she disappeared.
    also as you said the programme stated that Murphy told a fellow prisoner that he nabbed a girl in Newbridge and bungled her into his car, after asking for directions.

Deirdre was "lifted" as she was walking into the driveway of her home. she disappeared into thin air, so there's no doubt in my mind she was taken by car, as were most of those other girls who have "disappeared", taken to a quiet rural location and...

Nonsense - You are stating things as known facts that are not known facts. The program did not state as fact that Murphy was in Newbridge that day.

They think Larry Murphy was in Newbridge on some days that Summer working on the renovation of a pub but they have never been able to establish that he was there on that date. And the Gardai have never said he told another prisoner that he had snatched someone in Newbridge and they won't denyy every bit of speculation that comes up because there's tonnes of it. The main pointer that doesn't get said much is that Larry Murphy said to the lady he abducted in Carlow while in the process of the attack on her that he had done this before - although that may have been to frighten her more.

Yes a he is now a known abductor who lived fairly close by - 40 or so minutes away - but so is John Crerar who lived a lot closer - 10 minutes away from Newbridge - I have even seen it suggested that Murphy and Crerar knew each other. There's as much evidence against one of them as there is against the other - zilch!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Very sad watching that last night. Its just incredible to believe that she was snatched right outside her house and never seen again.

Between the appeals for someone to come forward from both the senior Garda and Deirdres father it seems that this is the only way this crime will get solved. There is no other evidence, they have trawled all the old CCTV and catn see any suspects appear or suspects cars in it. Her black bag with the CAT logo has never shown up anywhere either. At this stage they need someone close to the killer to turn on him and give evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Such a heartbreaking case, along with all the other missing persons cases in Ireland. We have to hold out hope that the family some day get answers.

Such a heartbreaking case, along with all the other missing persons cases in Ireland. We have to hold out hope that the family some day get answers.

The Jastine Valdez case was very similar to these cases, the one big difference being the suspect being identified within hours and her body located within two days.

At least the Valdez family got closure.....it must be much worse for families not to even know what happened to their loved one and never see them again.

I missed last nights programme owing to a prior booked commitment: but I'm really interested in this case and was sorry to miss it.

Sounds like the Gárdai had no new real evidence to add to what was known already.

We did know that the investigation has been upgraded to a "murder" case but without any new facts being made public.

I am quite intrigued by what @Wheres Me Jumper? wrote above...

what car was Prime Suspect-LM driving at the time?

Surely this can't be secret knowledge, any neighbour or co-worker could have answered it.

Likewise, what car was Other Suspect-JC driving at that time? Surely his family or neighbours could easily answer this?

and this small fact might trigger a memory for someone - let us say, it was "a grey Cortina" or "a yellow Fiat Panda"...you get the idea...(Fictitious examples!)

Even if such a vehicle were not spotted at the scene of the disappearance, it might have been seen somewhere else unusual shortly afterwards.

I'd like to be reminded of the car(s) if anyone knows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

i mean i cant believe that AGS are only now looking at this as a murder!
    i mean come oooooon!!!!!!!!!

are they simply waiting for the culprit to turn himself in and confess his sins?
    unbelieveable incompetence & ineptitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

i mean i cant believe that AGS are only now looking at this as a murder!
    i mean come oooooon!!!!!!!!!

are they simply waiting for the culprit to turn himself in and confess his sins?
    unbelieveable incompetence & ineptitude.

AGS operate under a tight legal framework. they require a certain amount of evidence before deciding to class a missing persons case as murder

in fairness I am sure they all have their own personal opinion for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

THE STATE DOES not know exactly how many unidentified remains there are in the country – or their precise locations.

There have been calls in previous years for a centralised database to keep track of unidentified remains. These calls have been renewed now after news last year that advanced DNA processes had helped in the identification of the remains of three people in a six-month period.
    Forensic anthropologist Dr René Gapert has been trying to pull these figures together, but he said there is no single point of contact. The only way to get an idea of how many of these unidentified bodies there are is to contact each individual coroner.
    He recently put together a proposal for a centralised database for unidentified remains, which was brought by Fine Gael Senator Colm Burke to the Minister for Justice and Equality in September.

The establishment of this database would require collaboration between all the coroners,the Missing Persons Bureau of An Garda Siochána (AGS), the Office of the State Pathologist (OSP) and the Forensic Science Ireland (FSI) laboratory.

Full article: https://www.thejournal.ie/unidentified-remains-4410076-Dec2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

Looks like a file is being sent to the DPP to charge Larry Murphy with the murder of Deirdre Jacob. I hope the family finally get some answers.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/news/4033325/deirdre-jacob-murder-case-larry-murphy/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I would take very cautiously anything printed in that newspaper.

Surely publicising this now would jeopardise any case they might have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

One would hope that if he is the murderer, he would let them know where she is, also if this is the case, it is possible he has more victims,
    why should we feed people like this in our prisons, they have tv, hot showers, warm beds, food, and other amenities, while we have so many homeless with none of these comforts,

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

I find it odd papers printing these type of stories saying someone is to be charged. What is stopping any suspect in that situation from going to a country with no extradiction treaty and never return

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Seems to be old material rehashed a bit and nothing concrete? (and only one source?)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Twenty-one years now. I remember this being on Crimeline at the time as a kid and I never imagined it would be going on this long. It must be awful for her family.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/gardai-renew-appeal-for-information-on-deirdre-jacob-21-years-after-her-disappearance-939901.html?fbclid=IwAR2bGI6SUfvhbA6eU6jRlXON-HHEABJbWilDEaTR0YRFt3nXEa3A7iEQ7XA

Twenty-one years now. I remember this being on Crimeline at the time as a kid and I never imagined it would be going on this long. It must be awful for her family.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/gardai-renew-appeal-for-information-on-deirdre-jacob-21-years-after-her-disappearance-939901.html?fbclid=IwAR2bGI6SUfvhbA6eU6jRlXON-HHEABJbWilDEaTR0YRFt3nXEa3A7iEQ7XA

I think if Deirdre had gone missing in 2019, there's a far higher chance her abductor would be caught - much greater use of CCTV everywhere, mobile phone tracking etc etc

Terrible for the family. A body and a funeral would at least have brought some sense of closure and a chance to grieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Only 18 years old when she was abducted and now, 21 years later her family still going through the unbearable pain of not knowing. Incredibly sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,867 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Interesting that no women in that area have gone missing for a long time now.

Well maybe since a certain person fecked off after his prison sentence.

Sorry now. But the connections have been made elsewhere also. LM.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Very sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

• Advertisement

If it was indeed LM, thank goodness he was caught within 18 months.....we could have been looking at a string of abductions otherwise

Advertisement