Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deirdre Jacob missing twenty years Today.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,001 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Larsso30 wrote: »
    From readin the book, antoinette Smith, Annie mccarrick, deirdre Jacob's and jojo Dollard have no real serious suspects. While no less tragic tha the others , its absolutey frightening there isn't a single solid suspect in those cases.

Many of the others, the suspect is know, just can't be proven

Edit to say, if I had to guess I'd only really see Murphy for the DJ case. I find Annie mccarrick case terrifying, not sure why more than the others but I do. Totally just vanished and no real solid evidence where she was for last few hours

I suppose it's very possible they were murdered by different people. The only thing they all have in common is that they disappeared and were never found again, there might actually be no other connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Garai are searching woodland on the kildare/wicklow border tomorrow in relation to this case and jo jo dollard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

I really hope something comes of this search that brings answers for someone's family.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,352 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It must be torture for these ladies' families, waiting to hear if their daughters are found when a search is announced. I'm sure all hope of a safe return home is long gone, so the desire to say goodbye and lay them to rest must be heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The search of an area of waste ground for the remains of Trevor Deely was based on what Gardai at the time called credible information. Ultimately, that proved to be a waste of time. This latest development has also come about as a result of what is described as credible information received during the course of the investigation. Let's hope for a more positive outcome on this occasion.

• Advertisement

What town or village is Mr Murphy living in now? He must have had about 50 houses at one stage if you believe the hysterics.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wonder why the Gardai released this info to the press, maybe initially I thought it’s a bit insensitive as relates to the girls family as in IF as you’d expect is likely, nothing turns up... their hopes raised for nothing...

would they not just be better off doing the search, and IF a body, bodies or evidence was uncovered they’d have then something to inform them...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Thread title should be changed to 22 years now.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

@Strumms My thinking would be the families would have being informed this evening.

I think they make the public aware of this because if the Gardai landed on in the morning and just started searching an area they'd be rumours circulating like crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,352 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

@freshpopcorn is right, families are informed before the press and I presume the press have to be informed as a search will be noticed.

It isn't one or 2 guards hiding in the bushes, they'd have a lot of equipment, personnel and dogs, and the area is screened off from view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

One baffling feature of these disappearances is that nothing - not a scrap - was ever found, of the victims.

Not a shoe or a handbag or a sock or a bead earring. Or a purse with coins, or a hairpin, or a brooch.

So I'm thinking, metal detectors must be in use for scanning every yard of that wood. And dogs.

Let's hope they complete it soon - the families must be in agony.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭Xander10

The Deeley case immediately sprung to mind when I saw this story. I felt all along that nothing would come of it.

I suppose, I have a glimmer of hope that this latest dig might yield something.

I think it's feasible that the Deirdre, JoJo and Annie cases could be connected (Murphy). But this media thing of trying to create a connection with Fiona Pender (Offaly) and Fiona Sinnott (Wexford), when there is compelling circumstantial evidence regarding particular individuals being involved (deceased in the case of Fiona S); Ciara Breen (another likely suspect, also deceased, and she wasn't even in the area - she was in Louth), Imelda Keenan (Waterford) and Eva Brennan (Dublin) - "Ireland's vanishing triangle" and so on. Just pure tacky.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yeah the pender synott cases are separate and the culprits are known locally

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The case of Eva Brennan is the least to go on in terms of suspects or even if it was a case of foul play. It doesn't sound like she was in a relationship and there's no witnesses for her final movements.

Imelda Keenan in Waterford is another difficult one to call.

Imelda's case is a very strange one all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Pretty sure the main suspect in the Fiona Sinnott case is still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

With the Fiona Sinnott case, the culprit is known locally and the people who assisted him are too (although I think some or all of them are no longer in the area). It says it all about them that in 23 years, none of them have grown a conscience. Pure scumbags!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The culprit in the Fiona Pender case (Offaly) is also well known. Hes living abroad now. Alleged to have had help from his father in moving her body and other family members have provided him with false alibis for the night she went missing. They're what would be regarded under normal circumstances as a "respectable" family though clearly pure scum.

• Advertisement

I heard one person who is believed to know what happened or have assisted the murderer has since died by suicide. Pity he or she didn't clear their conscience before they died.

I can't help but wonder what hold do murderers have over people that they'll cover up something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I remember years ago finding a tent in Wicklow with a backpack, handbag belonging to a woman,

The tent was obliviously slashed to ribbons reported it to the local station and our own local station and nothing was ever done about it ,

Makes you wonder how hard they initially searched for the missing women

Ah, sorry, my mistake. I was confusing them with the person julyjane above mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

She was literally steps from home when she was taken. It wouldnt have made sense for a family member or friend to offer her a lift as she was so close to home.I reckon she was bundled in to a car when while the stretch of road was quiet.

Could be Murphy yes but could be anyone when you have nothing solid to go on,it could be someone that passes her family in the street and smiles.

It's significant that since Murphy's arrest not one similar case has come to light. That is - the unexplained disappearance of a woman in the general area where he was known to be active. The Gardai accept that he had no involvement in the disappearances of Dullard, Pender, Sinnott and, probably, McCarrick. Eva Brennan is from Rathgar and was also one of those referred to as the missing Leinster women. It is known she had a history of mental health problems and may have taken her own life somehow. Deirdre Jacob went missing in the summer of 1998 over two years before the arrest of Murphy for the abduction, rape and attempted killing of the woman from Carlow Town. So, was Murphy responsible for the abduction of Jacob and was he responsible for any other such crimes in the preceding years. Was he a serial stalker or an opportunist? It's astonishing that this fellah is at liberty and walking the streets at all, particularly taking into account the complete lack of remorse he has shown for a most horrendous crime. A life sentence without eligibility for parole would have been the most appropriate sentence in his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

It's believed Murphy was stalking the carlow woman before he abducted her.

God love her, an unimaginable ordeal she went through.

I read an Irish times article about the attack. She subsequently met one of the men who saved her as she wanted to thank him.

Such a brave woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,001 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A theory is that if it *is* LM that abducted Deirdre, he was caught very early in his evil career (purely by chance too). He could easily have carried on for years and caused quite a few more young women to vanish. It was just sheer luck that he was caught that night when he abducted the other woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Real pity the hunters who caught him with the Carlow woman didn't shoot him.

They were not near enough to restrain him but,fortunately, did manage to recognise him and his car. He went home and got into bed with his wife as if nothing had happened but must have known the game was up. The Gardai arrived at his door just a few hours later. At one stage, during questioning, he commented "sure,she's still alive,isn't she. She was lucky." A classic psychopath, for certain, who had probably killed before.

• Advertisement

Re. Eva Brennan, the same was assumed of Elaine O'Hara who went missing around 2013 but because of the benefit of computer and phone forensics and the curiosity of someone who saw a handbag dumped in Dartry reservoir when levels went extremely low, the awful reality was different.

Advertisement