Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,151 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Frost is definitely not liked : he is seen as an unelected bureaucrat. He has no actual connection to the Tory Party, other than being hired by Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Padraig178

The French unemployment rate is 7.8%.The UK's is 4.5%.

Also " It seems likely, therefore, that London will remain Europe’s largest financial marketplace, by a considerable distance " - from The Guardian no less.

www.theguardian.com/business/2021/may/18/has-brexit-fatally-dented-the-city-of-londons-future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

There's a very obvious reason why - what they proposed had never been done before - they were willing to risk the single market for 450 million people for it. They tested the NIP, saw how it was working when it hit the ground, then calibrated based on the feedback.

I did read an interesting point which I thought accurate - the reason the EU was so generous with this is because it ensures member state unity if the UK rejects.

Let's see how things develop if the UK doesn't do what it's told.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Oh, I was under the impression that the British distaste for unelected bureaucrats and officials was for any people outside of the UK. Unelected people have long been involved in the running of the UK and I can't recall anyone complaining!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Its pretty clear that the EU is very well united across the member states with regards negotiations, more united than the united kingdom are.

Whats not coning across from the EU is at what point they are willing to ditch everything that has been worked on so far and walk away leaving the UK with a hard brexit, and until that point is clear the UK will keep pushing.

Do what it's told by whom ?

International relations are more complex than much of the Brexit analysis that portrays Britain as a recalcitrant child and Brussels an admirably patient grown-up.Relationships between states are about competing and common interests and how to balance the two. Renegotiating the terms of a protocol or other agreement because it is unsatisfactory isn’t a failure of international relations - it IS international relations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I don't know if anyone has said, but I will. Increase trade between the 2 jurisdictions on this island is super. Both sides of the border benefit. Both sides work together. It's to the benefit of the whole island. I'll go further, I don't give a crap who else loses out in trade if it means Irelands position grows. It's what we all want - a growing economy.

It's an interesting one. Johnson is definitely popular with the faithful but Frost seems strongly disliked (possibly because he is an outsider to the Tories and was seemingly pro-Remain pre-referendum.....I think people suspect he is just a chancer at heart).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

The NIP as last agreed and signed by the parties is that threshold, and that is plenty clear.

Don’t fall for the tabloid hype: these proposals, all generous that they are, merely tinker around the NIP-implementing edges. They do nothing to soften, diminish or modify the NIP itself in any way. Moreover, they come with a lot of reciprocal strings attached(conveniently unmentioned by much of the British media).

Rest assured that the observers to whom this really matters, i.e. the trade-diplo-intelligence eyes of the US, Russia, China and so many more, are seeing this for exactly what it is: the EU finding, and giving, Johnson/the ERG still more rope to hang themselves with.

These proposals, if implemented (therefore subject to the UK giving the EU27 the data, accesses, etc requested in consideration) only advantage NI businesses further, relative to English/Welsh/Scottish businesses, driving still more of a success/failure wedge along that Irish Sea border. Then the time shall come soon enough, of Westminster having to justify the annual £10bn stipend to NI, when it is booming relative to the rest of the country. Then…

Plenty of method to the EU’s apparent madness, y’see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No, I'm not. It doesn't have an independent nuclear deterrent and even if it did, it's not going to add any wealth or influence. I don't see how GCHQ is a "vitally important global spy station" either.

London is Europe's finance capital because of the EU. This isn't the natural order, it's the result of decades of trade and specialization and the government undermine that with every petty action they take. Britain could have become the superconductor capital of the world but decided that undermining the agreement they signed was more important.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭KildareP

They haven't quite - the ECJ still remains very much part of the NIP going forward.

It is quite likely that the UK will still reject all of these proposals on that.

One simple reason for this is that they didn't actually know which parts of the Protocol would work smoothly and which ones wouldn't. It was very much trial and error - they were setting up a brand new and unique customs system from scratch, one that hasn't been tried elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Can you expand on your assertion that the UK doesn't have an independent nuclear deterrent,perhaps provide some evidence of this as I was under the impression that myth had been dispelled?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's not really great form when you've completely ignored my request for evidence and are now asking me for a source.

It's from a book, Britain Alone by Philip Stephens. It's a postwar history of Britain's relationship with Europe and the USA. Superb reading.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

The UK will comply with the obligations it freely entered in the withdrawal agreement with the EU - or face the international consequences. The UK's bravado about "no deal being better than a bad deal" then admitting afterwards that it was a "moment of extraordinary weakness" remains the case.

Actually UK's threats to renege on the withdrawal agreement (in particular its demands to remove the ECJ) are not normal.

"We would like to have a closer relationship & offer you this if you would do that" is rather different to "accept that I renege on this agreement or we go back to murdering people in northern Ireland"

This is simply untrue.

London has been the financial capital of Europe since the beginning of the 20th century and indeed for most of that century it was the world's financial capital.

The de-regulation of the City's financial markets - the Big Bang - in the early 1980s was the main reason for its modern-day pre-eminence.The EU wasn't formed until the Maastricht Treaty was signed years later.

As for GCHQ it has played a vital role in thwarting terrorist attacks across Europe and has links through bi-lateral treaties with the US National Intelligence Agency as well as many other countries including in Europe which relies heavily on its listening capabilitities.

The UK’s nuclear deterrent is operationally independent. Only the Prime Minister can authorise the use of its nuclear weapons even if deployed as part of a NATO response.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Think others have answered this anyway but... 

The main thing the EU "cares" about will be what the members (including Ireland) want and its own workings/institutions (the Single market and customs is a large component of that).

Unionists have complained about the NI Protocol (I think some of the complaints were still theoretical because the UK had not fully implemented the Protocol). This creates instability in NI, this affects Ireland negatively. EU will try and adjust the Protocol, which from what I have read (haven't looked at full details) somewhat weakens protections for Single Market that were built into it (much of which UK was not bothering to implement). 

That is the "ball" Frost (and Johnson) can play with + the leverage UK have over the EU (through Ireland and our link to NI). The previous UK leaders were more responsible than current ones and wary of poking and prodding NI, so did not use it to full advantage. Frost/Johnson don't care. I think if you are looking for compromises/working things out you don't really undermine something very publically the day before it is released in way Frost did when I'm guessing he had a fairly good idea what was in it (all the better to focus attack on what would not be in it).

In fairness, like all of us you do have a dog in this fight to some extent, since you are bothering to discuss it and your position is generally defending the UK govt. from attack and saying they are not quite as bad as (majority here) think they are + give them the benefit of the doubt.

Macron is not "bizzare" or "sidelined" IMO, just at one end of a spectrum of opinion. I think he reached the very end of the road sooner in trying to deal with the UK as a reliable partner after Brexit, the other EU leaders will likely get there eventually the longer this all goes on + the more the UK works away at undermining and damaging the EU post Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I’ll just drop this here:

France gets the EU Council presidency for 6 months on 1st Jan 2022.

The French presidential election runs mid to end April 2022.

😙

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,699 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's meant to stop a hard border. Smoothing UK wide trade wasn't really the point. It's the NI protocol not the UK protocol

Well it always was Brexit not UKexit.

Brexit means Brexit and Britain should leave and let the other parts of the UK like NI and Gibraltar stay

But in truth Brexit should have been called Engxit because thats all that mattered to most people

And Wales ?

And Scotland ? More people voted to Leave in Scotland than voted for the SNP at the last election.

Everywhere had some Brexiters shure even the ROI has them and I'm sure Rapa Nui has a few Brexiters if you ask them but they are forgotten extras in what was a display of English hubris

• Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I see you have picked up some Scottish unionist quotes. The Tories in Scotland quote this all the time as if it is relevant. For the record, more people in Scotland voted to remain in the EU than voted to leave the EU (62% remain, 38% leave)

UK govt ignored that little bit of democracy and went for hard Brexit because they are essentially an English govt and England gets what it wants in the 'precious union'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Wrong.

In Scotland, 1,018,322 people voted Leave.

In the 2019 election, the SNP received 1,242,380 votes

You see that's the fatal flaw in the trope trotted out about English nationalism and Brexit. If you point out a majority in Wales voted for Brexit you get a shuffling of feet and a sideways glance hoping no-one will notice.Likewise the large numbers of people in Scotland and NI who also voted to Leave and who knows how many of the 17.4 million leavers were not English anyway ?

Here's the thing - England has by far the biggest population in the Uk so yes of course the majority of Leave voters will come from England.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'm confused.

Leave vote in Scotland was 1,018,000 Results of the 2016 United Kingdom European Union membership referendum - Wikipedia

Last GE (2019) SNP got 1,240,000 FPTP votes 2019 United Kingdom general election in Scotland - Wikipedia

2021 Regional election SNP got 1,290,000 constituency votes (or 1,100,000 regional votes if you prefer that measure) 2021 Scottish Parliament election - Wikipedia

NI was the desperate to be English DUP, Wales the heavily English planted border and again Scotland it's the desperate to suck up to the English unionists.

Not just the English voted for it and I know people from many nationalities who voted for it including Irish, Indians and Caribbean people. That doesn't get away from what it was which is the last final spaff of old empire English nationalism and the English would burn all the rest to achieve it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭Enzokk

So the SNP were the only party campaigning for Remain in 2016? If not, then this is misinformation.

But it is also wrong as Professor Moriarty notes as well. If you look at the last 2 elections the numbers do not stack up, so will you acknowledge that you tried to muddy the waters with a false argument?

Advertisement