Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,644 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

dont over ship at your own expense to WF, they offer a collection service, they are shy enough about mentioning it but they do.

I have sold them at least 10 watches and always got it collected and always got the highest price in their range.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I know that you weren't suggesting a sale there Fitz and I take your point 👍

Watchmaster offered a low and high value condition dependant and since getting the lugs sorted on the VC? I'd certainly expect above their low offer 😉

That's handy info Cyrus! Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Hey look maybe pride and pinion have a buyer and will get you the money. My guess is they dont and wont but I am a cynic.

Sure that's my own view too. They either piss or get off the pot 😉 They think they can get what is a tasty price for it with a bit of marketing? I'm happy to let them try, if they don't? I get the watch back and carry on smiling when I check the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭893bet

There is no going back. You have mentally decided it’s for sale😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I have finally admitted that I just don't like the shape of the OEM bracelet (1162) on the Speedie Mark II.

I feel like a weight has been lifted.

I have managed to source a pair of vintage 735 end links that will let me fit a modern, Uncle Seiko 1171 style bracelet instead.

The US bracelet is all solid links, and is wonderfully finished. It picks up the line of case a little nicer, and is slimmer than the 1162.

Think 70s wide tie, to 50s gentle taper. :)

Its like staying together until the kids are grown up, a loveless time and a wandering eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,688 ✭✭✭✭unkel

So now I know why that blue Yachtmaster 40 disappeared from the Pride & Pinion stock just before I went over to see it in Belfast

Looks like a lot of people paid very strong money for watches on that show. Bubble bursting soon? Maybe, but from the above it doesn't look like it.

big element of being seen at those kind of events, you wouldnt want to be worried about the prices you are paying because you will definitely get rinsed, the netjets has to be paid for somehow!

And the Coke by the look of it. London watch and money laundering show.

• Advertisement

yeah maybe im getting old but that kinda thing would do nothing for me.

It's like an ultimate wanker stag 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Well, further to my earlier admission, a pair of vintage Omega 735 end links turned up today, and I coudln't be happier with the results.

I think the 1171 taper picks up from the natural lines of the case a bit nicer than the old 1162.

The 735s are fairly rare these days, but versatile. The void means that I can fit a 1450 style (President) bracelet too.

Not cheap, but well worth the money for the fit and the versatility.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

Beautiful watch Lorddrakul. Hope to pick one up in the next year myself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Aye. That area of the hobby has become more than a little crass. very much this:

All instagram flash, feck all substance beyond the ability to rattle off reference numbers. I have the suspicion that the market is quite incestuous with a high percentage of deals going on between dealers. Though to be fair you see that in trade fairs of all types. Of the vintage watch ones I attended back in the day there was a lot of that going on. The market is also a bit of a monoculture. It's basically Rolex with pockets of Patek. It would be akin to going to a book fair and finding only Dickens with a few copies of Hemingway here and there. I have to be honest and admit watching that sort of thing with loud pushy overly "excited" used car sales types reinforced my latent view that it could only be Rolex. Harry Enfield's Loadsamoney would almost certainly have worn a two tone Rollie.

Now fair play if the Dutch lad can make a few quid for him and his. He talks some amount of horological bollocks, but he's a bit of craic and no doubt taliors his speil to the client and if the market collapsed tomorrow I'd bet he'd find another niche and do well in that too. The customers caught up the wave on the other hand... As Cyrus notes the jets(and columbian marching powder for some. Alledgedly 😁) need to be paid for.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The Mrs just asked me what watch I'm wearing going to Belfast 😂 I really don't know! Might take 2 😉

I have a few hrs to kill in Dublin tmrw between trains but not expecting much to be open, but a wander around Grafton St and then head back to North side for a spot of lunch before the train to Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

After having a great trip to the watch fair in Birmingham back in July, just after booking flights to attend the next one on the 28th November 2021!

Not staying over this time, getting the first Ryanair flight out that lands at 7:35am, the fair is held at the National Motor Cycle Museum which is only 5 minutes away, so should be there before 8 all going well. Getting the 7:35pm flight back so be a fun day trip! More information on the fair for anyone interested https://www.thebirminghamclockandwatchfair.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Im away at the moment for 10 days and took 5 watches with me and most likely will buy one while away as well .

I'm only doing an overnighter but, the temptation was strong to bring 2 😂. I left it at the one I'm wearing even if the strap does make it...

A challenging aesthetic 🤫😂

The IWC and I will hopefully make it into a few spots in Belfast to peruse the watch stock and plan a purchase or 2, or maybe 3 if I can slip off the leash whilst the Mrs is shopping elsewhere 😁

Well? 😁

• Advertisement

Not made it to anywhere other than the hotel just yet. Traveling didn't leave me feeling great so it was straight to the hotel for a lie down and a lot of painkillers 😣 Could barely manage walking from the station to the cab, so a wander around the shops this afternoon was off the cards altogether.

Not in the surgeon's until 1.30 tmrw, so I'm planning on having a stroll around Queens arcade and over to P&P before heading for the consult and depending what time I get out I may have some time to kill before the train back down too 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

The father in law gave me this today, be thinks it's ww2 British military but doesn't have any other details.

It's not currently working so I'll have to do a bit of research and see what I can do. Either way it's a pretty cool piece

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well it's got the broadarrow stamp on the back so defo British military issue and around WW2 alright. These usually have a Lemania movement in them IIRC.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭micks_address

Do you not worry about them getting lost/stolen on holiday? how would insurance work out if they were?

Made it in to P&P this morning. 1st off, the setting itself! Is utterly beautiful. If you enter via the stairway entrance and the Great Room.

That room alone, the plasterwork and stained glass is worth the visit to Belfast IMO. I am gutted I didn't book a night in the Merchant after seeing it's public spaces.

Great chat with Tim and gave him a little job in hunting for one of my next watches. I didn't take any photos of P&P other than that of the vault door.

Lunn's was a window shop as I found myself pressed for time 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭scwazrh

If one goes missing I don’t think there would be any issue with the insurance, if they all go missing I’m sure insurance would put up a fight. I’m in Tenerife and know the area I’m in very well , I’ve been a few times a year for the last 15 years so feel comfortable and obviously a good safe in the apartment.

There is a serious amount of Rolex been worn here. Went to a quite restaurant for lunch today and had my sub on , I counted 3 other subs , a hulk and a James Cameron.I wasn’t close enough to see if they were all real or not but they all had the Rolex glare and sparkle so would guess they are.

Ive had a couple of comments on my Panerai while here as well so watches do seem to be noticed and more prominent at the moment.

As long as the watch is specifically mentioned with its value (official valuation or receipt) on your home insurance and is covered all risks, it is covered all risks. So it gets stolen on holiday abroad or falls off your wrist while swimming in the sea, it is covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭VW 1

I brought my gshock (G7900A) to a jewelers for a replacement battery this morning. They quoted me 75 euro as they'd have to send directly to Casio as it has to be resealed. Is this normal? The watch is 9 years old, so makes more sense to replace for 75 euro than pay 75 to get a battery. Is this normal for gshock?

€75 for a manufacturer replacement of the battery and a reseal (with receipt - this comes with an implied warranty) is a bargain 😂

But yeah if you don't want to spend that, go to your local jeweller, they will do it a good bit cheaper. Or just replace the battery yourself but don't go swimming with it any more. Or - hate to say it - if the watch is really cheap, just feck it out or give it away for free and buy another one.

• Advertisement

They were clueless.

It's a panel-back case - 4 screws secure the case back. The screws in this model are obscured by the "wings" so most likely they took a cursory glance at the back, couldn't see the screws and gave up. Which would give me very little confidence in their experience.

You can change it yourself with a small screwdriver, it takes a CR2025. A child can do it.

If a watch is valuable or a safety item (eg dive equipment) then a pressure test after battery change is important. It's not necessary for a cheap G-Shock. Due to the panel-back design there is no twisting of the gasket, the chance of fecking it up is extremely low. You don't even have to lube the gasket, inspect it and if it's good then reuse.

FYI a cheap G-Shock is not pressure tested at point of manufacture either, the caseback is screwed on and that's it. If you are happy to swim with a brand new one then you should be equally confident to swim with one that you've changed battery on.

Advertisement