Advertisement
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Seadweller is a cool watch, the lack of a Cyclops give it a cleaner look very like a preceramic sub 14060. I know a guy selling s preceramic seadweller think it's a 1999 tritium dial one...should be significantly cheaper. Pm me if interested I will pass the contact on.

• It's very much like the 14060. It is thicker though due to greater depth rating with thicker crystal and the 16600 has solid end links.

My watch guy in Spain (that sounds good) thinks he has two coming in shortly so I'll see how that pans out, but if it doesn't work I'll give you a shout. And thanks for the offer.

• No problem, every new Rolex on the forum give me palpitations of joy. Just love em and love to see people getting them.. For some reason the sea dweller feels like one I missed out on. And it's the last bastion of value too. I am a sucker for the ceramic bezels and while you can lament the shiny look the durability is hard to beat.

• Hi All,

Haven't had the chance to post on here much lately, it's been a busy couple of weeks!

I mentioned before that I am waiting on a package via EMS Shipping from Japan since July, another very special Bell! It turns out to have been sent back

Got in touch with An Post, apperantly it has been in Ireland twice and sent back!

Found a post on another watch forum of a similar problem trying to send a package to Ireland from the US. In the post there was a link to An Post page a message regarding Import Customs [Link]

It apparently has something to do with A valid TARIC/Commodity code” (code can be found at [Link]

Have used EMS twice before and had nothing like this happen. Have gotten an email to say it has arrived back at the warehouse in Japan and It is giving me the usual options to select shipping methods, but I'm wondering, given it was them who forgot to put the code on the package, should I have to repay for the post?

Also would I be better just going with FedEx/DHL this time rather than EMS? Last time I used DHL I was met with a large customs fee so started using EMS. Have been waiting since July for this package, really looking to get it home, even if I have to fly to Japan myself and get it!

Thanks for the help

EDIT: There have been other reports of packages getting sent back mentioned on here [Link] Looking like it's something to do with An Post end, might be as well to try sending it via DHL/FedEx

Post edited by IrishPlayer on

• Advertisement

• Has anyone else noticed how big c24 have become as a seller of watches? I think they only started selling themselves maybe 12-18 months ago?

They have 3.5k of watches in stock!

• I had this exact same thing happen me this week. A package from the US arrived in Ireland - I heard nothing more and assumed that it was stuck in customs. After 4 days I got onto An Post to ask where it was and they said that customs have sent it back to the US because "the customs declaration which was provided electronically was insufficient."

I then emailed customs to ask what was going on and they said that it being returned was nothing to do with them, and that it was An Post's responsibility to contact me about it to get any missing info. They then referred me back to An Post..

So they are both blaming each other, but it seems like rather than reaching out to people to get the required info An Post are taking the easy way out and just retuning to sender. A very annoying experience.

• Completely agree, very annoying experience, especially when buying crazy rare vintage watches! Can't exactly walk into a Seiko shop and ask for another Business Bell from 1967! :)

Decided to just go ahead with FedEx this time and completely avoid dealing with An Post. At this point I just want to get it home in one piece!

• I recently had a bit of a disaster too.

I had used Parcel Motel quite successfully for a while. I had forgotten to remove it from certain eBay options when it got fecked through Brexit.

Ordered a monogrammed clasp from eBay, secondhand, just a hundred bucks. But then discovered where it was heading!

Contacted Parcel Motel, who promptly did a Pontius Pilate and said all parcels would be returned to sender.

Contacted the seller, apologised and asked if he would send again, at my expense once it had been returned. Nothing.

A week later I get an update from seller via eBay - item status updated - delivered.

Opened a dispute with eBay, told them the story and said all I wanted was seller to confirm they would resend, at my expense, when it was returned.

eBay would not play ball. They said item not delivered, refund given. I doubt the seller will sell it to me again at that price :)

I may need to get someone to snipe it for me.

Fecksticks.

• I got the tracking for a new microbrand diver today, hopefully it'll arrive on Monday.

Excited to be the first person to get to see/review it

• Advertisement

• They were hoovering up watches 6 months ago for frankly ludicrous prices (a number of us here benefited). Would say they stocked up and are not taking their profits.

Post edited by Fitz II on

• Thanks for the heads up. Was going to order a couple of rare(ish) bits from the states and Japan. I may wait til they get their act together.

• I've noticed Vodafone have been advertising a 'smart watch for kids' called the Neo. Not that I'd be in the market for something like this but was intrigued enough to look it up on the internet.

Strikes me as a kid monitoring device for 6-9 Y-Os. Buying the actual device is more expensive in ROI than UK €200 v £100 and then you have the monthly connection fee of €10. In the TV ads they show a beaming dad presenting a Neo to his equally delighted son but I imagine the kid will dump it well before the minimum connection contract of 24 months runs out.

Another gimmick for over-anxious parents?

Neo - The smart kids watch | Vodafone Smart Tech

• Unkel, Kostal, Cyrus and a few others have sparked a curiosity in me for a PAM. Now given the last PAM I looked at was discovered (thanks to Fitz 😉) to be a fake 😤

I've taken to just looking at present and am bouncing between the 47mm handwind and in the auto sphere, the ceramic Pam's. On the handwinder front before I saw price... 😮 I was drawn to the Blue Slytech but 40k 😮😮 The dial does seem stunning tho, a very Unkel blue 😂

438 and 441 are very nice, particularly the 438 on a bracelet. I did get to try on a 441 recently and did really strike a chord in me, tho perhaps not so much with regards the strap. It was nice, well made, comfy but I'd want something more than the "plain" strap it comes with.

Something a bit snazzy, like a snakeskin or a Ted Su vintage ammo pouch.

But I'm not buying, I'm really not buying because I'll have to sell more and I like everything I have left 🤔

• The ammo pouches are cool. Talk about snazzy, I'm still thinking of getting a blue stingray for the PAM 😁

47mm and hand wound it was for me, it's actually very easy and pleasant to wind the watch.

• i do like the ceramics i have to say and personally am a fan of that strap :D

one of my colleagues has the 441, looks cool.

• Looked up a PAM441....and I am totally sold, looks deadly.

• There is something very cool about ceramic watches imo

• Advertisement

• Definitely looks like a gimmick for over anxious parents. Our kids (boy and girl under 10) had a few things like fitbits, but a baby g or cheap casio is 100 times better. Anything you need to charge regularly, forget about imho.

• An post tracking is so frustrating... Package left the UK at 2am on Saturday and theres no updates at all from An Post

• Still early days I’d expect it to be on anpost tracking by tomorrow..

• Honestly - reading the thread linked above on An Post returning packages I would not be fancying your chances of having it delivered. They are sending back thousands of packages every day from the UK (and outside of Europe).

Hopefully it gets through, but I have now had 2 packages returned to the sender - one of them being €5 worth of dog poo bags sent from an Amazon seller in the UK!

• Is anyone here following Talking Timepieces on youtube? I came across the guy originally on Instagram. He has some nice pieces and some strong opinions that mirror some of those here.

Here he is, riffing on fakes and taking a hammer to a Fake AP.

• Anyone expecting An Post to delver something coming from outside the EU probably won't want to read this thread: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058200515/an-post-returning-packages-from-outside-the-eu

I won't be too surprised if something that came from Japan and is now being returned, ends up being a total €135 loss. I hope someone finds a legal angle to have a go at them and does so.

• I had a package coming from China that was marked on the tracking as having cleared customs for about 8 days before it was delivered by An Post. It only entered their system on the day it was delivered, so figured it was going to be sent back.

Guess I was one of the lucky ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement