Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Have you asked Watchfinder for a price? Its a very specific piece and buyers are few and far between. And wile the P&P guys are super nice, more than half their Rolex stock sits around for months on end, their solution to which is to raise the asking price.

Remember consignment does cost you, its has oppertunity cost. There is no down side for the seller, but for you the down side is that the watch is returned after months of not having use of it, and now its been tried on 50 chaps sweaty wrists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Hey Fitz, nope I haven't spoken to Watchfinder. TBH even though I'd kept an eye on asking prices it wasn't really on my radar for sale. I was more value curious. As I was sorting out an appt to visit, the chat turned to the personal collection and interest was piqued.

On the opportunity cost, you're not wrong but the deal in play is 30days with them on sale or return and if it's still there then reassess. For me, it's a solid way of seeing a couple of things, but primarily a means of seeing where the market is and reconciling that and the mad (to my mind) jump in asking prices on that model over the last 4/5months. If the jump is genuine and the price they expect is achieved? The jump is the opportunity cost justified imo.

@micks_address the deal I have in place is a fixed price back to me. Their commission range is @10% and negotiable. So if I was considering Watchmaster? P&P is @50% cheaper as their charge is 19%, and the Chrono24 fee would be 6.5% of final sale. The P&P offer is significantly cheaper than Watchmaster and given the P&P boys will market the watch? IMO it's far better value than self selling on Chrono24 for the shift in work to sell whilst having both access to a lot of viewers and the "extra" that selling via a dealer should raise to both offset commission and to save dealing with lowballers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

But in lots of cites train stations are bang in the middle of the red light district🤔. Is that because the land was cheaper in red light areas, or did the red light industry build up around the station?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,707 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,808 ✭✭✭micks_address

in fairness the train stations in dublin aren't to far away from the city centre... compared to the airport at least! well maybe im just thinking of connolly... the planet heustons have a bit to get in alright

Banie throw in a sale offer to watchfinder. I always do this it as it lets you know what dealers are thinking is a low offer. I do this when buying or selling a watch to see where the market actually is. Chrono is a nice place for dreaming, sure I see gen 1 overseas with blue dials there for 25k but we all know that is a fiction. When the watch is on consignment and out of your possession you will be a lot more likely accept a low ball.

Same problem with WF though if you decide to send it to them. First of all there is not insignificant shipping costs. Then they insist you send it unmarked and uninsured (at your own risk of course) which is nerve-wrecking for a watch costing thousands (unless you can get them to send out a courier at their cost and risk). Then it takes forever for the watch to be assessed (can easily take months) and at the end you might get an offer well below their initial "estimate"

Agree though that an initial offer from WF is a good marker for the low end of the valuation. A bit like selling your second hand car to a second hand car dealer for cash. You will get an offer of a good 20,30, who knows 40% below private sale value. Which is understandable. They're no charity, they need to put bread on the table too...

The shipping and the cost of it, especially on the of chance that something goes wrong, that's one of the things that would steer more towards P&P or WatchMaster over WF.

P&P had a DHL label sent to me same day and confirmed that they have 50k insurance in place. Relleb afaik offer similar as part of their service. You "sell" the watch on their platform, buyer pays them, Relleb arrange pick up, authenticate the piece, release funds to you and ship to the buyer.

The convenience is of course all built in to the charge for any service on all the platforms, but others are doing it now better than WF.

@Fitz II whilst I didn't get a WF offer, I did have a Watchmaster offer to sell on consignment (contacted me via insta) that gave a high end of @€12k for it, with their cut at 19%.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

If anyone is looking to pick up a Citizen watch have a look at https://www.republicoftime.ie/

They're a new Irish company selling online and the prices are very good. I know the guys running it so it's fully legit. I'll be reviewing some of the watches they sell on my channel, that Promaster bullhead is georgous.

• Advertisement

Yes not suggesting selling to WF justy get a price. There will be vastly different offers in watchmaster its consignment only, while WF is buy only. Consignment deals are highballs, buy deals are low balls, the market (what an individual will actually pay for the watch) is in the middle somewhere. Not trying to rain on any parade here, just tempering expectation...I have bought and sold a few and I can tell you the Gen1 overseas buyer willing to shell out more than Gen2 money is a rare and wonderful thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,193 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

dont over ship at your own expense to WF, they offer a collection service, they are shy enough about mentioning it but they do.

I have sold them at least 10 watches and always got it collected and always got the highest price in their range.

I know that you weren't suggesting a sale there Fitz and I take your point 👍

Watchmaster offered a low and high value condition dependant and since getting the lugs sorted on the VC? I'd certainly expect above their low offer 😉

That's handy info Cyrus! Thanks for that.

Hey look maybe pride and pinion have a buyer and will get you the money. My guess is they dont and wont but I am a cynic.

Sure that's my own view too. They either piss or get off the pot 😉 They think they can get what is a tasty price for it with a bit of marketing? I'm happy to let them try, if they don't? I get the watch back and carry on smiling when I check the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭893bet

There is no going back. You have mentally decided it’s for sale😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I have finally admitted that I just don't like the shape of the OEM bracelet (1162) on the Speedie Mark II.

I feel like a weight has been lifted.

I have managed to source a pair of vintage 735 end links that will let me fit a modern, Uncle Seiko 1171 style bracelet instead.

The US bracelet is all solid links, and is wonderfully finished. It picks up the line of case a little nicer, and is slimmer than the 1162.

Think 70s wide tie, to 50s gentle taper. :)

Its like staying together until the kids are grown up, a loveless time and a wandering eye.

So now I know why that blue Yachtmaster 40 disappeared from the Pride & Pinion stock just before I went over to see it in Belfast

Looks like a lot of people paid very strong money for watches on that show. Bubble bursting soon? Maybe, but from the above it doesn't look like it.

big element of being seen at those kind of events, you wouldnt want to be worried about the prices you are paying because you will definitely get rinsed, the netjets has to be paid for somehow!

And the Coke by the look of it. London watch and money laundering show.

• Advertisement

yeah maybe im getting old but that kinda thing would do nothing for me.

It's like an ultimate wanker stag 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Well, further to my earlier admission, a pair of vintage Omega 735 end links turned up today, and I coudln't be happier with the results.

I think the 1171 taper picks up from the natural lines of the case a bit nicer than the old 1162.

The 735s are fairly rare these days, but versatile. The void means that I can fit a 1450 style (President) bracelet too.

Not cheap, but well worth the money for the fit and the versatility.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Cassius99

Beautiful watch Lorddrakul. Hope to pick one up in the next year myself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Aye. That area of the hobby has become more than a little crass. very much this:

All instagram flash, feck all substance beyond the ability to rattle off reference numbers. I have the suspicion that the market is quite incestuous with a high percentage of deals going on between dealers. Though to be fair you see that in trade fairs of all types. Of the vintage watch ones I attended back in the day there was a lot of that going on. The market is also a bit of a monoculture. It's basically Rolex with pockets of Patek. It would be akin to going to a book fair and finding only Dickens with a few copies of Hemingway here and there. I have to be honest and admit watching that sort of thing with loud pushy overly "excited" used car sales types reinforced my latent view that it could only be Rolex. Harry Enfield's Loadsamoney would almost certainly have worn a two tone Rollie.

Now fair play if the Dutch lad can make a few quid for him and his. He talks some amount of horological bollocks, but he's a bit of craic and no doubt taliors his speil to the client and if the market collapsed tomorrow I'd bet he'd find another niche and do well in that too. The customers caught up the wave on the other hand... As Cyrus notes the jets(and columbian marching powder for some. Alledgedly 😁) need to be paid for.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The Mrs just asked me what watch I'm wearing going to Belfast 😂 I really don't know! Might take 2 😉

I have a few hrs to kill in Dublin tmrw between trains but not expecting much to be open, but a wander around Grafton St and then head back to North side for a spot of lunch before the train to Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

After having a great trip to the watch fair in Birmingham back in July, just after booking flights to attend the next one on the 28th November 2021!

Not staying over this time, getting the first Ryanair flight out that lands at 7:35am, the fair is held at the National Motor Cycle Museum which is only 5 minutes away, so should be there before 8 all going well. Getting the 7:35pm flight back so be a fun day trip! More information on the fair for anyone interested https://www.thebirminghamclockandwatchfair.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Im away at the moment for 10 days and took 5 watches with me and most likely will buy one while away as well .

I'm only doing an overnighter but, the temptation was strong to bring 2 😂. I left it at the one I'm wearing even if the strap does make it...

A challenging aesthetic 🤫😂

The IWC and I will hopefully make it into a few spots in Belfast to peruse the watch stock and plan a purchase or 2, or maybe 3 if I can slip off the leash whilst the Mrs is shopping elsewhere 😁

Well? 😁

• Advertisement

Not made it to anywhere other than the hotel just yet. Traveling didn't leave me feeling great so it was straight to the hotel for a lie down and a lot of painkillers 😣 Could barely manage walking from the station to the cab, so a wander around the shops this afternoon was off the cards altogether.

Not in the surgeon's until 1.30 tmrw, so I'm planning on having a stroll around Queens arcade and over to P&P before heading for the consult and depending what time I get out I may have some time to kill before the train back down too 👍

The father in law gave me this today, be thinks it's ww2 British military but doesn't have any other details.

It's not currently working so I'll have to do a bit of research and see what I can do. Either way it's a pretty cool piece

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well it's got the broadarrow stamp on the back so defo British military issue and around WW2 alright. These usually have a Lemania movement in them IIRC.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,808 ✭✭✭micks_address

Do you not worry about them getting lost/stolen on holiday? how would insurance work out if they were?

Made it in to P&P this morning. 1st off, the setting itself! Is utterly beautiful. If you enter via the stairway entrance and the Great Room.

That room alone, the plasterwork and stained glass is worth the visit to Belfast IMO. I am gutted I didn't book a night in the Merchant after seeing it's public spaces.

Great chat with Tim and gave him a little job in hunting for one of my next watches. I didn't take any photos of P&P other than that of the vault door.

Lunn's was a window shop as I found myself pressed for time 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭scwazrh

If one goes missing I don’t think there would be any issue with the insurance, if they all go missing I’m sure insurance would put up a fight. I’m in Tenerife and know the area I’m in very well , I’ve been a few times a year for the last 15 years so feel comfortable and obviously a good safe in the apartment.

There is a serious amount of Rolex been worn here. Went to a quite restaurant for lunch today and had my sub on , I counted 3 other subs , a hulk and a James Cameron.I wasn’t close enough to see if they were all real or not but they all had the Rolex glare and sparkle so would guess they are.

Ive had a couple of comments on my Panerai while here as well so watches do seem to be noticed and more prominent at the moment.

As long as the watch is specifically mentioned with its value (official valuation or receipt) on your home insurance and is covered all risks, it is covered all risks. So it gets stolen on holiday abroad or falls off your wrist while swimming in the sea, it is covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

I brought my gshock (G7900A) to a jewelers for a replacement battery this morning. They quoted me 75 euro as they'd have to send directly to Casio as it has to be resealed. Is this normal? The watch is 9 years old, so makes more sense to replace for 75 euro than pay 75 to get a battery. Is this normal for gshock?

€75 for a manufacturer replacement of the battery and a reseal (with receipt - this comes with an implied warranty) is a bargain 😂

But yeah if you don't want to spend that, go to your local jeweller, they will do it a good bit cheaper. Or just replace the battery yourself but don't go swimming with it any more. Or - hate to say it - if the watch is really cheap, just feck it out or give it away for free and buy another one.

• Advertisement

They were clueless.

It's a panel-back case - 4 screws secure the case back. The screws in this model are obscured by the "wings" so most likely they took a cursory glance at the back, couldn't see the screws and gave up. Which would give me very little confidence in their experience.

You can change it yourself with a small screwdriver, it takes a CR2025. A child can do it.

If a watch is valuable or a safety item (eg dive equipment) then a pressure test after battery change is important. It's not necessary for a cheap G-Shock. Due to the panel-back design there is no twisting of the gasket, the chance of fecking it up is extremely low. You don't even have to lube the gasket, inspect it and if it's good then reuse.

FYI a cheap G-Shock is not pressure tested at point of manufacture either, the caseback is screwed on and that's it. If you are happy to swim with a brand new one then you should be equally confident to swim with one that you've changed battery on.

Interesting, thanks both. I'll order the battery and do it myself so. I don't generally swim, nor do I shower with a watch on, so the pressure test is relatively redundant anyway. Have had the watch 9 years and was the first birthday present I received from my now wife, so wouldn't want to chuck it for sentimental reasons!

Here's a video, it's self-explanatory. Some people leave the wings on and work around them but I would remove them for the sake of neatness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yll7NIp-sMU

To open the battery flap you need to pry a latch off it's retainer (0:21).

Don't use a conductive tweezers to handle the battery (guy in the video does...).

There's a tiny spring (circled), on this particular model I believe it can't fall out but keep an eye on it (and keep the watch level) in case i'm wrong.

At 0:27 he does the AC reset, which involves touch a metal tweezers (or paperclip etc) to back shield and to a particular pad. Reboots the watch. It's only necessary if the watch has booted up with a garbled screen. Most of the time you don't even need to do it.

Tighten the caseback screws in a diagonal pattern and don't overtighten them.

Thanks a million. This corner of the forum and the helpful advice/kindness that always follows gives me faith in humanity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

New video by Adrian at Bark & Jack. I watched it and thought it was not the normal fare. Kind of wide screen hi-definition and then there's the content. Adrian inviting some guy into what looks like his country home for coffee and to tell him about his fascination with cool watches.

It's apparently some kind of promo for Ebay and their watch 'authenticity' service.

Favourite watches in my collection + new purchase - YouTube

Personally I find his videos rather boring and lacking in entertainment value.

Yeah. I'd say the service is almost entirely aimed at current and recent models from Omega and Rolex, especially the latter to weed out the fakes and to keep confidence in the market. The vintage realm is far too deep a dive for such a service. Any such service would need a suite of experts and even then dodgy ones would get through. Plus outside of outlets like hodinkee that market is currently stagnant.

• Advertisement

I took delivery of a letter on the 23rd about a customs charge on some Barton straps I ordered, letting me know I needed to make payment or the item would be returned to sender. The straps arrived this morning, is the customs charge a mandatory thing, or just something you need to pay to get an item released? Ie, do customs follow up for payment regardless?

I don't know, it is supposed to be mandatory and items not released until charges paid. That said, I have heard of lots of stuff generating the charge but being delivered without payment.

On a related note, I have an order from Amazon.de that was shipped from India, but! Which was charged VAT at the Irish rate of 23% and it's showing on the tracker as held by customs for a charge. Nothing has dropped for me just yet tho and when it does I'll fire on the VAT paid invoice.

It would seem everything with remotely incomplete or suspect declaration paperwork is being held and generating a charge or a Return to sender.

Depends who delivered it, An Post are supposed to charge before they give it to you but Fedex pay it and send you a bill a few weeks later

Oh sure OG, but it's going to be almost entirely aimed at the "I don't want to get stung by a snide Rolex" in the current market. That's where the market focus is. Now TAG are being faked alright, but the biggest fake market by far is Rolex and the fakers are getting better at it. Without such authenticity services the dealers know that market confidence could be a problem.

Just up the page Swarzrh on holliers(lucky bastid😁) said this: There is a serious amount of Rolex been worn here. Went to a quite restaurant for lunch today and had my sub on , I counted 3 other subs , a hulk and a James Cameron.I wasn’t close enough to see if they were all real or not but they all had the Rolex glare and sparkle so would guess they are.

"Rolex" and "fake" have become synonymous in the wider public's mind until proven otherwise. Given the cray cray price increases of late in what is an artificial market high mostly driven by dealers and flippers that association is one of the bigger threats to the market.

Vintage is a complete minefield OG. I'd bet the farm their expertise in that area is not much above covering their own arses. When the Antiques Roadshow and their team of backroom experts can come out with howlers around vintage watches it's a problem. The list of frankens and even outright fakes that have passed through august auction houses* and top line dealers is a long one and those examples would be well known models for the most part. Go to speciality vintage forums and a topic like "how to spot a fake [insert model here] could run to a dozen pages and some grey areas. Plus you can have perfectly fine examples that because of age would have had crystals replaced(fine), dials replaced(not so fine). I would reckon that other than fashion and the market cycle changing one of the biggest reasons the vintage market is more stagnant of late is down to lack of consumer confidence.

*I would never buy a watch through an auction house speciality sale. That sales avenue is about the least protected for the consumer and is full of dodgy dealings. You've significantly more comeback as a buyer buying off ebay from a complete stranger.

• Advertisement
Advertisement