Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squid Game [Netflix] [** SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Binged it yesterday and my own thoughts on links between characters and such were well borne out.

It is a solid well made show, but it is quite formulaic. If I had to give a quick synopsis? It's the hunger games crossed with bum fights for the entertainment of the rich rather than governments and an added focus albeit belatedly on survivor guilt.

I'll certainly watch a season 2 and hope that it ties up what I feel are big loose ends.

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How the feck do you do spoilers on this horrible new forum?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Click the quote button. It is one of the options - on phone

Well it just quotes your post on desktop version, this is bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,830 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How can I...? A user's guide to the new site — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

On desktop, click that paragraph icon (like a reverse P) beside the comment box, then click the quote icon. You'll see the spoiler button then

• Advertisement

Got it now thanks.

Anyway:

So was 001 willing to die in tug of war or what's the story? Bit of a minor plot hole there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Think he was confident of winning it as he knew the skills of that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭cozar

he had no lock on the shackles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭De Bhál

finished it last night, very enjoyable show.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

There were actually 39 at the start, 40 from the tug-o-war and -1 for the doctor. The 16 coming back from the marbles is incorrect unless 3 pairs didn't finish the game in time and all 6 died but they didn't show that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ok, fair enough, I stand corrected but I thought the person who asked the question simply forgot about Han Mi surviving so not sure what happened to the other 3 pairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BeginAgain

The 3 other pairs were eliminated because both team members failed to finish with 20 marbles.

Was thus shown or said cause I missed it if it was. Or were we just left to presume. I mean I guess it is obvious but seems like a wierd thing to leave out especially given the conversation between 2 of the contestants in that episode

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BeginAgain

Presume, Gi Hun panic for the last marble was a clue to what happened the teams that couldn't decide a winner takes all in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just finished it there, thought it was okay but it ended very poorly - peaked in episode six and was downhill from there.

All the big twists were sign-posted a mile off, the 001 thing was obvious from the moment he survived the riot and they really gave the game away when they didn't show him die after the marble game. Same with the cops' brother being involved and Gi Hun's mam being dead when he got back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Thought it was very good. Last episode could babe been merged with previous. Which was also strange, second last episode was under 30 minutes and final around an hour.

Say there be a fair Pink Soldier costumes this Halloween. Good music throughout.

Not as graphic or gory as people had made out. Far worse out there. But it worked well for what it was when needed.

Probwbe a sequel I'd say, seeing how big a success it was.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,063 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Binged it too over a few nights.

Decent show but not as great as many are saying. An interesting idea but quite formulaic as others have said. And also think that some of the twists were fairly obvious.

6.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Just finished it and thought it was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Funny how people always claim these things after they have watched it and not called it beforehand.

People I have spoken to only had an inkling of the cop and the brother story. The rest was not that predictable and also who wants to see a pensioner get killed and how they showed his partner's reaction did not give it away.

Wouldn't agree it ended poorly at all and love to know what you would have wanted for it to end better.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,062 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

it was a very good show, kept me hanging on for the most part, though there were a few things I wasn't mad about.

The episode with the marbles hit me the hardest, was on the verge of tears after it.

I quite enjoyed the bit in the last episode where they showed the pictures of the finalists taken for the first game and you can see how much they've changed.

Some of the topics addressed felt a bit cliched but they were done in an interesting way. Survivor's guilt, survival of the fittest, empathy vs. selfishness, class differences, treatment of immigrants.

I wasn't mad about the ending though I'd also wonder what would be a satisfying ending in this case. It didn't really do anything new for me. It felt like it lost the run of itself a bit towards the end.

Quite disappointed that they left the door open for a second season. I hope it doesn't dilute the quality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That red light green light song seems to be getting popular. My 7 year old came home from school the other day singing it 🤣*

Do they use the song in the dubbed version does anyone know?

TBH I am surprised at the success of this. I enjoyed the show personally but I wouldn't have said it was any better or worse than Home Sweet Home, Kingdom or Alice in Borderland. I am not sure how it is Netflix most popular show ever. It seems to have captured the public imagination for some reason.

*he also asked me if he could have Squid Game as his movie on Saturday night 🤣

Kingdom was an awful lot better I would have said..

Aib was sh1te..I stopped watching half way through episode 5..

Well yeah that is a matter for debate but you get the point that Squidgame was nothing out of the ordinary so it seems strange that it captured the public imagination so much more than the others.

Home Sweet Home was my favourite of the 4. I watched a couple of episodes of Kingdom and gave up on it before being talked back into it by my brother. Really enjoyed it by the end.

Yeah true enough..And even moreso when you take into account cinema from that neck of the woods (movies like..) ..They've been knocking out some exceptional movies for years..

I think a lot of the hype is just that it's Netflix's series du jour..

I'll have a look for home sweet home..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I like it and still have to watch the final episode. But why are people saying it it so original and graphic?? To me it’s tame in its violent and gore. Battle Royale the Japanese movie from 10/15 years ago was similar story but far more graphic. And for me the movie Parasite was original (and great) but this Squid Game is neither original or great (it’s good).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,830 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That's what I was saying. It's a pretty niche show compared to others in the top 10. Like why didn't Alive in Borderland get the same reaction? But it seems a series just gets talked about by people then others want to see. Wouldn't surprise me if it was due to some celeb or "influencer" or someone along those lines.

It might increase viewership for those other shows like AiB, Sweet Home and Kingdom. But we know Netflix counts those who watch the first 2 minutes, which is a strange idea, so how many actually like it enough to finish the series and seek out the similar shows?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Is Squid Game 'original'? No, not particularly - the whole 'death game' thing is basically a genre itself at this stage. What I would argue it does better than pretty much any of its predecessors is actually emphasise the moments of grim realisation and ethical dilemmas - when the games start, you know some of the characters we know and like (or hate in some cases) aren't actually going to make it out. I'm a big fan of Battle Royale, but this certainly benefits from having a TV-show runtime to explore the characters and relationships. It's not perfect - as I said earlier, I think it largely works around having the protagonist making some of the tough decisions other characters make - but there were certainly moments where I went '****' as I realised what the writer had set up. It's also a lot more gung-ho in its critique of modern class dynamics and the dehumanising impact of poverty that one might have anticipated, quite like Parasite in that regard.

I'd also say the massive popularity of the battle royale genre in video games helps explain its massive, unprecedented success over some of its competitors. But Parasite and the K-pop surge does show there's a big audience for Korean media. It helps that Korean TV/filmmaking is in rude health - there's a vibrant independent and arthouse scene in particular, far beyond the sort of shows or movies Netflix will buy up.

Lads, it's just the Netflix hype machine..

Making a murderer..Tiger king..that documentary about yer wan down in cork a while ago..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,030 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Kingdom is great, with the exception of that special they released earlier this year. That was godawful.

Advertisement