Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squid Game [Netflix] [** SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Looks really interesting, obvious battle royale/hunger games vibe, also reminds me a bit of that other Brazilian Netflix show 3%

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Millypenny

Looks good, a bit like the other Netflix Japanese series Alice in Borderland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Honestly I thought this was a movie til the trailer said the series was dropping September 17th. Looks demented and won't be in the least bit subtle with its social commentary, yet still looks like it might entertain while beating its audience over the head 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Will likely watch it. The red light green light game made me think of As The Gods Will manga and film though that was all with school kids. Then they went on to show other games.

Just googled the conversion outta curiosity and it's about 33.2 million Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

1: Yikes! 😲 .. although.. as expected I guess.

First half of the episode though..

yer man is meant to be very annoying I'm thinking.. or maybe just to setup the desperation of his situation with his daughter.. I was kinda moved about his plight.

• Advertisement

2: Well.. that was clever

So.. I'm guessing the players who return now are likely to be more vicious than earlier

also these signs that someone might take the system down

That opening minute though!

with whoever that was who was still alive in the coffin! 😦

3: Freakin hell!

Those revolver kills.. each one kinda made me jump a bit.

Liked how

resourceful the North Korean defector was. Also that the old guy survived and 456 especially when he got the umbrella and figured out to lick it. I don't think I've heard of that game before.

This other dude

who got help from the inside/guards.. something going on there. I'm almost thinking the staff might be former players and this is part of a longer run rebellion

4: Oh you

Absolute Fuckers!! Fortuneatly this is a streaming show and the next episode is there. That's some cliffhanger!.. kinda literally!

When they let

one guy be killed.. I was like.. Uh oh! Could see that kicking something off. Wierd how they ended the special game when the old man started screaming about it

5: I think that this

cops brother has got to be one of the staff. Surely if he won and got out, he'd have made contact.. unless it's like The Running Man where old winners were just killed anyway. To be revealed I guess.

Doesn't look good

for the old dude.. still think he might have a chance to come out at the end.. there are signs I think that maybe when the players become few enough that they might work together... just for survival

At the start

with the Tug of War.. I guess it wasn't a surprise they won given our lead characters were all over the team. Still gotta give nods to the old dude for his starting strategy.. even if it didn't completely work.

Can't believe.. but, at this stage, I guess it's hard not to at this stage..

that there was an organ harvest side-gig going on the whole time under the bosses noses.. although.. when the boss was there.. the way he talked felt a bit like he knew about it.

6: Well

That felt ****.

The showmakers

structured the episodes and games and character stories and interactions to have that really hit hard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Only watched the first one. Pretty decent setup. The dubbing works well for convenience.

The climax must have been a logistical challenge to shoot and possibly a record for the number of squibs used, kinda manic scene that establishes a few players outside of yer man.

Now all we need in a few weeks time is people inspired to wear Halloween costumes based on the green outfit, marshalls and the as yet anonymous man in the dark mask. Clever move, Netflix.

7: My hands got sweaty there.

Something about the heights and the glass. Wasn't sure if yer wan was gonna push the tug or do what she did. Definitely thought she would try to take him out.

I was full sure

the marble made it sound like he had hit regular glass.. but I was wrong

Half guessing

the North Korean has a big lump of glass in her gut and could be in bad shape now

8: 30 minute episode. Well..

front man is the cops brother.. I'm not 100% on the cop being dead. No body shown in this show seems to leave the possibility open.

Felt

crap to see the North Korean die like that. Great performance from her all season (wiki: Jung Ho-yeon as Kang Sae-byeok (No. 067)).

Real Matrix.. Not-like-this moment.

Wierd they

didn't show the VIPs this episode. Guessing It all happened really fast after the last one.

Finished: Overall, it provided what it advertised in the trailer.. and then a lot more by way of story. Lots of games, blood, violence... but also like a fair amount of story and plotlines too. Not for kids (blood, gore, sex, nudity)!

Some real think-about-it points. Think I spotted a bunch of themes including debts, trust, bonding, choices, sacrifice, greed, love. Saying that, I reckon people just going in for the trailer get what they were looking for but anyone looking for more also got something.. maybe/maybe not what they wanted.

9: I thought

he was going to win and he did.. he'd been the main character throughout so it didn't seem like it could go another way especially when the same game popped up from the first episode kids playing. It was too early in the episode and the game didn't seem like it could be drawn out.

When he got out and went home, I was like.. please don't be dead please don't be dead, please don't be dead.. 😔

Then after the year it looked like he hadn't even helped yer mans Mother or the North Koreans Brother and that was annoying.. glad he did in the end

Then at the end .. I can't believe he went back instead of going to his daughter.. but not because of his personality.. if the show did one thing.. it got accross that him throwing away the chance to see his daughter made sense.

So I guess games were already going on, he had his game, and then the games continue so that looks like it opens future possibilities for the series.

Future: I'd guess that it would be possible for Prequels or Sequels to be made.

Prequel could be the game where Front man won and got his job. Sequels.. again Front Man could probably be the host. Feels like an easy one to fall down that dodgy quality gore-fest route though unless they could think of a really strong story.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭PogoRach

Can't remember the last time I binge-watched a whole series from start to finish in pretty much one sitting.

That was a superb series and definitely exceeded my expectations.

Yeah, binge watched it myself in two sittings. Best series of the year for me. I'd say there'll definitely be a second series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I gave up on the dubbing halfway through episode 2. The English audio sounded too much like it was inserted from a voiceover booth, almost to the point of distraction. The episode itself had a few more character breadcrumbs and bursts of violence. Fair warning, if a Korean detective has an umbrella he's not going away easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Im surprised anyone dubs Korean shows. Their mannerisms and the way they use their voices to express themselves are what makes their shows and cinema so good.

Forgot that I'd been thinking during the show about how it was proper bingeable .

I'd been keeping an eye out for episodes for planning breaks.

Probably good episodes for breaks if needed during a binge could to take a break after either episode 1 and/or 3 and/or 6.

because it felt a bit like an intro to the game but no the deeper takes the story goes into from episode 2

because episode 4 is the tug-of-war cliffhanger

because after feeling invested in some characters it felt a bit cold/raw to move on after it. i definitely didn't feel a need to know what happened next. so it feels some absorbing time could be taken with this episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sok2005

Binged this over the weekend. It was a treat! I can see where there would go with another season too.

Korea are bringing some great shows as of late, we probably would have never seen half of them if it wasn't for streaming services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭ozmo

Glad I didnt watch trailer- just watched it above now - so many spoilers!

“Roll it back”

Ah.. just rewatched the trailer.. I see what you mean. It had been so long since I saw it, I could barely remember an outline so it was fine for me.

Definitely recommend avoiding the trailer if about to watch for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Finished it yesterday. Brilliant television. Quite moving in parts of the last few episodes. Also do not watch the dubbed version. It's awful. The subtitled version is a million times better.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Amazing show. Very well written , acted and extremely compelling. . One of those shows you don't want the episodes to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Binge watched it, it was soo good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Finished it a few nights ago. Very good series and very watchable all the way to the end.

Some threads not sewn up though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Possible second series?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

It was ok. - i watch a fair bit of korean dramas and it was no better or worse than home sweet home, extracurricular, strangers from home etc.

2nd series is in the pipeline.

Yeah, it was OK.. the vips seriously took from it I thought..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

mod: threads merged

Advertisement