Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

How can I...? A user's guide to the new site

• 16-07-2021 3:39pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I'm adding stuff a bit at a time, this is not the finished guide

I'm going to put up as many tips on how to do things around the site as I can think of here. Hopefully they will be helpful to some users.

How to login?

Your username and same password combination from before will work to get you logged in. If you are one of the people who have a special character in your name, your username may have been scrambled but the team are looking into this right now.

If you have forgotten your password, there is a password reset option. If you are logged in you can update your password at https://boards.ie/profile/password

How to find My Forums or My Threads?

My Threads are now called Bookmarks and you will find them at this link https://boards.ie/discussions/bookmarked

On mobile tap on your avatar on the top right and then tap on the star in the middle of the top bar. This brings up the list of your bookmarked threads, you can choose 'All Bookmarks' at the bottom to see all of them. If you are closer to the bottom of the page, there is a Quick Links menu at the bottom of the page with a My Bookmarks link. Similar on desktop tap on your avatar and choose Bookmarks from the dropdown menu.

You will also see My Discussions - these are threads that were started by you.

My Forums have not imported correctly so I will update this here when that has been resolved and your followed forums have been reinstated.

How to post a new thread? Navigate to the forum you want to post in and hit 'New Discussion'.

How to reply to a thread? You can either hit 'Quote' on the post you specifically want to quote and reply to it in the box at the bottom of the page or scroll to the end of the page to 'Leave a comment' and add your thoughts there.

How to edit my post? You can edit your post for 24 hours after you have made it, click on the three dots on the top right of the post to Edit.

How to use Search? It is not too unlike Search on the old site. Type in what you are looking for and some suggestions of threads will appear under the search box (see image). If what you want appars, move down to select.

If it isn't there, click Enter to continue for more results. The results page will show results for 'All' by default but you can filter the results by the options at the top of the page - Discussions - Places - Events - Members. The forums that match your search will be listed where the red arrow is.

How to use the text editor? If you want to make your text Bold or Italic, add bullet points, etc. these are all available in the text editor. Write your post first and then select the text you want to make Bold or bullet or spoiler, etc. and the options below will appear.

You will find more options by clicking on the cursor idon on the left hand side.

The icons along the bottom of the text box are Emoji Picker (see below), Insert images (this is as simple as selecting the image from your computer or phone, it will embed automatically), Insert Media (URL link to a website, Youtube video, an image hosted externally, a tweet, instagram post, gif will all work here) and the final one is insert a file.

I would like to edit a post I made. You can do this for up to 24 hours after you have posted. On the mobile view it is a cog icon at the top right of your post and on desktop view it is three dots at the top right of your post to open the edit function.

Editing images in a post

Go to the Edit button as above. If you then tap on the image you will see a new little menu like this:

The first icon will allow you to position the image to the left, centre or right. They are centrally aligned by default and you cannot add text next to the image even if it is right or left aligned.

The second image is to make your image Small, Medium or Large.

The little man icon is to add Alt text which is a description of what is in the image for those with visual impairment for example using an e-reader.

The final dustbin icon is to delete if you have changed your mind.

I want to edit my password, profile pic, email address etc.

You can do all of these from your user profile: https://boards.ie/profile/edit but not all of them are visible on desktop just now so here are some quick links

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement