Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Any time I was there I was there at the crack of dawn so got spots on street, but you need some of the queens money to operate the machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Victoria square is handy for parking but pricey but not a bad location if you’re watch shopping. Other options would be castle court or the car park at the Europa hotel. Got a nice lunch in Avoca the last time I was up, plenty of options around the centre - Victoria square area.

To be honest the handiest way to get into Belfast is to use the park and ride from spruce field which is about £3 and drops you at the europa.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭893bet

Well well well….another speedmaster. Another mess.

This new version….comes in six different versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,520 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

That's not a handsome watch

That new speedy clasp isn't to my taste either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Fitz II

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Those circular scales look cool enough on the original vintage cases and were a popular dial type with a few brands, but for me anyway that dial looks odd in the Speedy's much heftier case.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,467 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The Criminal Assets Boutique, LOL!

In Belfast today to drop my daughter to the MK gig. Parked at the Q park Victoria square, bang in the middle of the city centre, easy peasy no need for any English money (I had none and wasn't planning to go get some). Bit early for my appointment at P&P but went in anyway and had a good time with the lads, who are super friendly, not pushy and very professional. With just a glance Tim could tell my watch was the 126660 and not the 116660. Tried on a good few watches, the polar explorer 42 is a great allrounder, really like it, but it can never be a match for the James Cameron, this time last year it was still the "poor man's Rolex" - well it ain't that now in terms of money. I was smitten with the Z-blue Milgauss, a gorgeous watch. I was wearing a shirt so that helped too. The watch I had hoped to try on, the blue Yachtmaster 40, was sold a few days ago (but ichrono in Dublin have one too, going to see it next week)

They have all sorts of drinks there, offered me one a few times, but alas I was driving back this evening so zero alcohol. Had a jolly good time in there, said my thanks and went out. Just out, guess who was coming up? Indeed. Nico himself. So I said hi, he couldn't be more friendly, straight away pointed us to some comfy chairs and we had a good chat. He couldn't be more sound. Told me a good bit about his background and what he was at. The watch shop is now only a small part of his business / income and he is about to sign some pretty big deals for US TV corporations. I pointed at the watch he seems to wear a lot, the green Daytona, for me to try it on. And of course, Nico took it off his wrist straight away and handed it to me. Now the Daytona is far too small for me, but it sure is a glorious watch. Interesting that Nico was extremely bullish about the Rolex brand and the value of the sports watches for the next few years. More so than anyone in this forum has expressed in recent times, myself included.

Had a very good late lunch in Coppi Italian restaurant, busy place, great food, decent value for money

After we dropped my daughter and her friend off at the concert, we drove back into the city centre. Parked at the central train station (flat £3 fee for the whole evening, even on a Saturday and free 23kW charging). So we left the car charging to 100%, went back for some food / drinks and a stroll about until it was time to pick the teenagers up from the concert at Ormeau Park. Flew back home then

Was my first proper visit to Belfast (work trips there and going to the airport don't count) and I was struck with how friendly and helpful people are. We sure will be back

Post edited by unkel on

I am extremely jealous of people getting to try on watches. This country is a disaster for that. So **** small. Keanes in Limerick is the collect place to me for any kind of variety. And it’s not a welcoming shop. Very small. You stand in the centre and you are 3 metres from the walls in each direction and can make eye contact direct on with every sales assurance.

A lot of the YouTube dealers are bullish. TPG and Marco are king of saying “it will cost more next week”. I guess that’s their business. I would be bullish enough on them myself. Best case is a temporary stagnation in the short to medium term I think. Drop 5 percent and then surge 10.

When you put the demand, brand recognisability and desire and small numbers produced against a growing wealthy population. Plus prices rises. Plus the rate at which they are printing money means assets are wanted. Rolex have weathers storms well in the past.

The question is can all their watches be in the demand. They are going to refresh another like this year, maybe Milgauss or Cellini. Will they they be 50 percent over RRP?

Another thing I have noticed is the move to small high end independents which I watch closely to see if some thing pops up that I like. It’s like people are buying these in the hope of finding the next FPJ. Think Fredrico did a video on this. Watch box just bought De bethune so that’s the end of them! Prices will soar through manipulation.

Think gronefeld just stopped taking orders as they are 3 years plus behind from a thread on TRF.

The crazy grey prices for Rolex are surely driving people this way also. When a steel sports is 16k grey you have to look at what else is available at the same price point. And when there is 25k watches that have depreciated to 16k already then they become attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭scwazrh

good write up there of what sounds like a nice day.Northern Ireland in general is a lovely place.It always nice to fit in some activities for yourself while the rest of the family are doing their thing .

Not surprised to hear Nico has stuff going on in the US , Roman from luxury bazaar seems to be very active with him since he distanced himself from timepiece gentleman ( Not sure if right name - The Texas lads with the recent drama)He is entertaining and seems to be living the lifestyle with the fast cars and private jets.I’ve seen the Amsterdam watch company complain about him a few times , not sure if Justified or not .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,303 ✭✭✭✭banie01

@893bet we share an issue regarding our local "high" end jeweller.

I have a good friend working there, and TBH I still hate going in there. The watch selling setup is weird too IMO. With the private rooms in particular being far too small for comfort.

It also looks like Fields aren't carrying their pre-owned stuff in the window in the Crescent anymore? I hadn't bought but they used to have a range of mid tier pre owned bits that seem to be gone now too.

Looking for watches in Limerick really is a shallow pool. I have a trip to Dublin in November for a show that may well snowball into a watch hunt though.

On your point on people moving to independents. Not something I can speak to other than reading about tbh but in what I've read, certainly seems true.

You know my opinion of the high end steel sports 😉 I think there's growth yet to come for some pieces and recent experience would bear that out IMO. The rise in VC Overseas over the last 8 or so months indicates that people are buying, that they are buying other than Rolex too where there is apparent value.

I think your gen 2 and my (albeit your old) gen 1 illustrate that well. Prices on both have risen quite sharply and I'm not going to offer a graph as my point. I did have a conditional offer for my Gen 1 that was high 4 figure to low 5, with the dealer expecting to pitch it at 13k 😳

If you look at the graphs available for 42040/42 or 42050 (blue of course 😉) the line is approaching exponential over the last 6-8 months.

Now my own oft repeated stance is that inflation is a growing risk that some watches are doing a nice job of offsetting. Even new VC are starting to hold their price on purchase rather than immediately depreciate and the effect on older models is very noticeable.

I apologise if this has been discussed before but, if it has I missed it. Has anyone here had a look at www.relleb.com yet for selling their watches?

It's a service that offers a marketplace, authentication , escrow and insured pick up and shipping to/from buyers. I've only had a quick scan but it seems a very viable alternative to Chrono and eBay. I see there's at least 1 Irish seller on their with a polar Explorer 2, so someone's using it.

What say ye lads?

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭micks_address

Never heard of them... pop up for chrono24 as soon as i clicked on the link.. id imagine the plus chrono have is blast radius... a lot of buyers/sellers there

I know @IrishPlayer has had recent poor experience with shipping from Japan, but, anyone else got any info from recent experience?

I'm looking at a couple of watches and Japan is offering serious value (even including VAT) versus the US and EU. I have no issue waiting for it, but don't want to end up in a cycle of returns or shipping holds. I know the seller probably has plenty of shipping experience but any additional info re:TARIC that could simplify the flow would be appreciated?

Id say if you get shipping via dhl or fedex etc won’t be any Issues

Which explorer?

apart from the obvious answer of none. I was quite taken with the Rolex explorer I tried on last week, 39mm mk1 dial. Question I have is would you go mark 1 or mark 2 dial? Think the lads in pride and pinion mentioned the mark 1 has solid white gold applied numerals whereas the mark 2 are applied? Are there movement differences? Also is it likely Rolex will release a 39mm or the new ref this released in 36mm?

Finally what do people reckon on price? Seems to be in the 7.5 to 9k range

cheers,

mick

Same movement, the hands are slightly bigger in the Mark 2. But the only really noticeable difference is that the Mark 2 has lume on the 3,6,9. If lume is your thing, you must go for the Mark 2 😀

As for price, I got mine from a grey dealer in Ireland during the first lockdown in May last year for just over €5k but those days are long gone. Had a quick look on chrono24 and the cheapest in the EU by a long shot is from a private seller in Germany for €7k, so your range is on the ball

Thanks Unkel... ive seen where if you buy the mark 1, rolex will change the hands/dial at service if you ask/pay for it? i dont know maybe i should just forget about it or try to..

I wouldn't have the watch modified. Keep it original or it might lose significant value. If you really want the bigger hands and the lume, just buy a mark 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

After taking a trip out to Poolbeg Lighthouse yesterday, I made my way back into town to visit Timepiece Antique Clocks on Patrick Street [Link]

Got talking with Kevin Chellar who was busy working away on the bench

I had actually met Kevin back in March last year at the watch talk at Engineers Ireland by Damian Duggan. I was telling him my interest in learning Watchmaking , looking at the best ways to start.

He mentioned several colleges in the UK one of which Is the British Horological Institute [Link] that offer day courses that I had been thinking about going to along with getting some junk watches and basic tools to practice with.

There was also mention of starting up a new watchmaking college in Waterford given enough funding/ support can be found which I really hope will go ahead and I would definitely be interested in attending as I'm sure others on here would to.

One of the things he showed me was a homemade staking press he made as part of a filing exercise years ago

Very cool and reminded me of a similar exercise I did in engineering in secondary school.

Huge thanks to Kevin for taking the time to talk and share his workspace

• Registered Users Posts: 32,740 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you were getting a watch sent from the US, where would be best option to get it posted to to minimise chances of getting hit for taxes and charges?

NI or Roi?

Currently, I'd hazard a guess at NI.

UK still are quite lax on their inbound checks AFAIK and little things like missing TARIC won't send the watch back to sender.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A mate of mine is building a race/track car over the winter and was sourcing bits and bobs for it, some of which could only be easily come by from the UK and even with the correct documentation including the Taric codes he's had some stuff sent back to sender. One part took three goes before he got it and the sender didn't change one thing on the docs. It's almost as if they're being punative with UK stuff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Punative? A professional outfit in the UK trying to ship an item to me for the second time is calling the Irish customs office by its true name: anal. Even the lads in the Irish post office were embarrassed by what customs are doing. We all know there is plenty of anti-British sentiment throughout Irish society. Maybe a lot of that is concentrated in customs.

Lads!

Some of the rises in asking prices for non-Rolex bits over the last couple of months is eye-popping!

Now granted, asking price is not sale price but I tend to keep an eye on VC Overseas pricing both because I have a gen 1 and because I had my eye on a gen 2.

But an example is this in May/June the blue 42040/42 was priced between €9.5k and €14k.

Last night? These were the prices on Chrono24 with the cheapest being already reserved. Now my usual Chrono24 for a lot of stuff listed there is -30% for a "realistic" price but these are listed at fixed price 😮.

I'd already had a low 5figure offer for a consignment sale (wasn't selling, but curious as to what their fees and process were). If there's a bubble around Rolex? It is certainly starting to trickle out and raise the prices of other high end sports watches too!😳😳

42040 full set and fixed price

42040 fullset and fixed price

42040 watch only, reserved and if brought into EU? +VAT.

yes seems things have gone mental... seller market at the moment

had an interesting 'falling out' on adverts yesterday... lad selling a flightmaster for 350 euro... creation selling them for about 210... i posted the link and mentioned how i picked one up last week for 220 delivered from NI.. which i did... he blocked me and reported me for false advertising :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Prices with everything seem to have gone mad lately. I booked a car this morning for 10 days for our holiday at the end of this month, Usually pay between €200 - €250. €500 is the cheapest I got and that's after paying near double for flights .

TBH, I booked our 2022 holiday on Saturday and Irish prices were crazy! Booked the same holiday via UK and even accounting for extra flights and 1 night in a hotel... I saved over €2k 😮

If I'd booked from Ireland? I'd also need to sort new ESTAs as the direct option from Dub was replaced with US stopover! Have a notion that £stg is going to drop v € too before full payment is due on the holiday so I'll be doing some FX trading before then.

On top of the saving in UK price v here. I got 0.5% back on tcb, 3% back on my crypto card and had a £150 off voucher too6😁 now just to get Thirdfox to sort my itinerary while I'm there 😂😂

But! Back on topic! Prices are still mental 😮

• Advertisement

Advertisement