Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,303 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Not quite 😉 but, I did get 4 of us away to Mexico incl SNN-MAN and a 1 hotel stay for the same price I 3 of us went in 2018 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 64,467 ✭✭✭✭unkel

And you bought your gen 1 for €4k? Nice one 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭micks_address

Was at the Bond movie yesterday... the new seammaster looked nice on mesh.. its an incredibly light watch from when i tried on few weeks ago.

i had my datejust on and noticed the lume properly for the first time..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭893bet

I ignore any of these “reserved” ones. I think that’s a scam to try and sell more expensive listings personally.

Impossible to know the value unless you try and sell. I think 9-10k might be achievable as a private seller.

you said you would offer it back to me………..…...remember?

Of course I do 😉 and as I said to you not so long ago. It's not one I plan on selling. Rather it's a yardstick I'm judging the rising tide by.

It's all well and good me selling it? I'd then have a pot of cash and be unable to afford nearly as good a watch 😜 it's one that still brings me joy every time I wear it.

If someone wants to swap me a dualtime for it tho?😂😂

• Advertisement

I didn't, but I bought mine off the lad who did 😂😂

I don’t want it back! But I hope you do well of it! Nice to see the Rolex tide rising all boats. But that is part of the problem. You can sell yours for more but have to pay more for the next one so it’s a zero sum game in the end.

I think c24 is becoming more and more out of touch. It has to be. I am basing that off my own watches on that. The average on my aqua has rising 15k in 6 months. Yet I got an offer from WF for around 20k less than the current average a month ago or so.

But better to see the graph slopping upwards than downwards.

I tend to agree on the C24 side tbh, as I said my usual rule of thumb there for value is minus 30%. With VC tho and in particular gen 2 and 3 (because size wise I do think they are more desirable). There is a lack of supply IMO and more and more of the watches on offer are fixed price. Almost nothing on Watchuseek or WatchRecon, 1 in the US at $12k which with VAT quickly becomes a €13.5k watch here.

I'd said to you previously that I thought a spike was coming and your own gen 2 valuation was soft. The current state of play, albeit without actual sale info would support that. I did send watchchart's an email asking them to do a comparison for Gen 1 but yet to see anything 😂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

C24 has always had "interesting" valuations, at least on the vintage side where I'd have much more knowledge than in the new and current(where I'd have feck all). The general rule was ebay auction or forum price as a base, then add 20-30% for a private seller on C24, add 50-100% or more for a dealer on C24.

With the new stuff my take would be that the rising Rolex tide is lifting other boats. Plus the overpriced Rolex grey values are getting a few to look around for higher level watches from other brands like AP, VC and Patek at the same prices. Kinda like current BMW prices are opening up Ferrari options. Add in the pandemic push and rising prices anyway and people looking to non cash/bank reserves of value and watches, particularly current Rolex sport models being seen as investments and it's not surprising.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

That's pretty much my own take on it too Wibbs. It's taken quite a while for that tide to expand beyond Rolex and AP, but now it has.

Still without visibility of sales prices it's all academic, but asking prices have grown massively in 4 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,520 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ill probably test the market with my VC Gen 2 on C24 in the next few weeks so lets see.

I may have an interest in it? Though your Zenith might be more my cup of tea currently 😉

A heads up on either, tho tbh given what a gen 2 is worth, the chronomaster is as far as I could stretch would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Ok bit of a quandary here. I have a brother in law who was born in '74.

He was over for coffee with his Mrs and somehow the conversation moved to watchs and I brought down the box. I have 69,73, 71, And 74 watches to show him. He liked the 74 and 69 accutrons because of the tuning fork and smooth sweep.

At that point, it occurred to me the decent thing to do was get a new Hirsch strap for the n74 accutron, and well, just give it to him.

He's a card carrying NCAD industrial designer, for some reason apple products feature in his life, he does UX for living. Do I give him a serviced sweet looking accutron to see if I can spark an interest? And yes he currently wears an apple watch, can such folks be turned. He was born in 74, so the accutron would be birth year watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭micks_address

Id ask him if he’d wear it. If it’s just going to sit in a box and he prefers smart watches is there any point? Like giving a car to someone who doesn’t drive. That said I’m sure he’d appreciate the gesture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I'll get a strap for it and make the offer that he can have it if he wears it every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Surely these are pricing mistakes ??

Which? Their asking prices are always strong 😂

All of them - €17k for a sub date is mental money - €22k for a Kermit !!

They do seem strong but real dealer prices (ie one that pays tax and has overheads) vs Instagram dealers vs private market are all different ball games.

as the prices are in euros is there any chance they have included VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,520 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I think they are prepping for the Christmas busy time and getting the prices up for then, prices are flagged to increase Nov, Dec and Jan and then settle again. Its what TPG and Roman Sharf are doing, and seeing as P&P take their lead from them that probably the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Do prices traditionally slide back in the new year then at some point?

Did Nico not get the memo that Rolex prices are falling? 😅

Can you imagine sitting on the fence about Rolex for the last year and not buying one ? You’d feel a bit daft now

That has been the same story for several years in a row now. Many of the regulars in here say Rolex sports are a bubble that's about to burst, but we have seen no signs of that at all. And what Fitz says the confidence in upping the prices significantly for the holiday season points to the opposite.

Not as daft as I would be feeling if I claimed prices were dropping last week 😅.

Personally I don’t like Rolex styling. Buried deep in German stuff in my head. I was on the verge of committing to the kinda watch what that would leave a big depreciation hole in my pocket before Fitz said something to make me see sense. The depreciation not being the issue by the way. Rather the risk of buying a watch blindly having never handled it.

I also thought crypto wouldn’t crash and Celtic tiger would never die so don’t take money advice from me.

The yacht master on the site is stg £13750 which equates to roughly €16k but if you select as shipping to Ireland the price is €19200 so it must be vat being added on that’s throwing the price out .

What goes up must come down. But the down ain’t started yet.

I did say above it was likely the VAT element for euro sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Advertisement