Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The creeping prominence of the Irish language

• 02-10-2021 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

My university now sends me emails that are bilingual - sometimes with the texts side by side, sometimes with the Irish text first - with Irish often appearing in the subject line. The signs for lecture theatres have just this year been replaced to include Irish. A new student space is called 'Zón Mac Leinn'.

The Dart now makes announcements in Irish first. Signage in Pearse Dart station has been replaced giving Irish more prominence.

All council signs, such as those relating to pandemic restrictions, are bilingual, with the Irish appearing to the left or above the English.

The Lighthouse cinema is running a festival called Samhain na mBan, which is celebrating woman in horror.

It seems to me that certain laws about the prominence of Irish that were enacted quietly are now being acted on by Irish language zealots in public bodies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aleppo_rex

If you were in France I'm sure the train announcements would be in French. If you studied in Germany I'm sure the correspondence from the University would be in German. If you drive around Ireland you'll see road signs in English and Irish... mad isn't it?!

Probably due to all those irish language zealots in the dept.of transport

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

OP's username certainly checks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

All stems from the Official Languages Act 2003.

Given it’s wide ranging impact on citizens in their daily lives, this legislation should have been put to a referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Tír gan teanga etc.

Like it or not, the language is not spoken on a daily basis even by most gaeltacht residents. HAving adapted English, the language of global commerce, there's really no going back. I would be in favour of making the language optional from Secondary school so that the resources are directed at those who have a passion for the language, as someone who learned and retained more French in 5 years than I did Irish in 13.

I shudder to think of the cost of all the printed Irish documents, signs, etc. which are never read. It's idealism winning over practicality. I would love to see Gaeltacht areas developed to make the language live and thrive in a small way, but expecting it to displace English is not sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do you know the percentage of the population that are monolingual Irish speakers?

its 0.2% and they rarely leave the Gaeltacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

And the biggest group of fluent Irish speakers is in...

...Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

This type of 'revival' will just get people's backs up and have the opposite effect to that intended. They've learnt nothing in almost 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

It doesn't get my back up. I would be a supporter of the Irish language.

I am not a zealot. I am not a fluent speaker. I never went to the Gaeltacht as a kid. I just think it is a very important part of our culture and heritage. I agree with the 'Tīr gan teanga' philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

“I’m fine with reviving the Irish language so long as I never need to hear it or be exposed to it.” 🤨🧐🤔

Some of the sentiments on this site are bizarre and just so incredibly stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

I can only imagine the fury of the poor put-down upon English speaker when he heard “an baile mor” over the train tannoy.

“I was all for the Irish language but I never thought I would ever actually hear it” he screams as he falls to his knees and covers his bleeding ears.

Well if you 'support' it then go and learn it, pushing it on people who don't support it is just going to get their backs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

In the examples given by the OP I'm failing to see where there is any element of compulsion involved in having to read or communicate through Irish. At no stage are you being forced to use Irish to understand your surroundings. All I can see is Irish being given equal prominence to English and Irish cultural outlets being available to those who are interested, which apparently seems to cause you a lot of bother.

It's a classic example of people in a dominant prestige language community turning up their noses at the cheek of giving recognition to another language. The mere fact that they are equal is outrageous or objectionable.

I live in Belgium and you sometimes see the exact same attitude. A legacy of French being the dominant language, and Francophones frothing at the mouth at the mere notion of Dutch appearing on signs/being considered their equal. They're never actually forced to learn it or use it, they just feel disgusted at the thought of having to encounter it in their daily lives, or god forbid listen to it in any context.

It's a cliché to bring up postcolonialism here but I can't think a single other society in Europe where the demonisation and estrangement of a community from their own historic language was more thorough than in Ireland. Many Welsh mightn't speak Welsh but I doubt you'd hear actual Welsh people claiming that Welsh appearing on a few signs is outrageous. Ditto for Basques or Frisians or any other language community. If you talk to most people outside of Ireland when the subject of Irish comes up many people have great sympathy for it and it's continued survival. Most of the hatred and glee at it's decline nowadays only seems to exist in Ireland, oddly enough.

Nail on the head. It’s the typical post colonial trying to toady up to his betters stuff you get from the Irish (particularly in Dublin).

One chap even said that English is the international language of “commerce,” like he’s flying from port to port crunching out million dollar deals with the muckity mucks from Wall Street. Meanwhile the closest he’ll get to high finance is trying to choose which flavour of Lucozade he’ll get with his 5euro sandwich deal. Delusions of grandeur. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 32,980 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's like they'll do anything to revive the language, except actually teach it in a manner that actually interests people.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

People running the train announcements aren’t responsible for teaching Irish.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Would have passed at the time, easily.

A retrospective one with all the costs involved might not have.

Train announcements etc. is a typical 'box ticking' exercise. Can everyone who supports this type of carry-on please state whether they can actually converse in Irish.

For the record I can't but then I don't support this pseudo-revivalism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Muckity mucks.

Nearly spat out my finely poured pint of Guinness. Top drawer commentary !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Translation and printing for Irish language versions of various state documents that don't get used / requested in Irish.

The total roadsign replacement in Gaeltachts.

The costs of state agencies updating all materials to reflect renaming

The plebiscites to try fix renaming in areas where it was contentious

Remaking street signs to fix the language order.

Those are some examples of line items.

What are the costs of those?

FOI them if you want to know.

They aren't free, which is my point. The ILA brought in costs that didn't exist.

I was taught it, in a manner that interested me. In a state school in a working class area in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

If anythign the Irish language is on the up. The number of Gaelscoil's is increasing and the attendance at these school's is higher than ever.

Some people will always complain about the language but I think that is mostly because a few years back the teaching was terrible. I don't know what it is like in standard primary schools now but in Gaelscoils they have excellent way to teach the kids how to learn and it ain't sitting getting words hammered into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

That aboriginal language belongs in the past anyway, these sorts of schemes are a waste of everyone’s time and a massive waste of money.

Nothing in life is free. You made the statement that people wouldn't support it if they knew about the costs, like you knew about the costs.

I'll take it you don't have any actual figures to back up the statement.

• Advertisement

Surely the zealotry is assuming everything should be always in English. In none of these cases was English not included

this anti Irish language attitude is like the English tourist abroad who expects everything to be in English in every country.

Advertisement