Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do teachers dispute the two-tier pay scale?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Actually we compared our holidays before.

I get 27 days holidays plus 10 bank holidays.

I get medical insurance, life insurance, pension, accommodation allowance, meal allowance etc

When I work overtime I get double hours off whenever i want.

so im happy with my conditions.

Cant remember the exact figure. But i think it was 6 weeks off in the summer, a week at 3 mid terms usually spanning a week with a bank holiday. 2 weeks at easter and 2 weeks at christmas (spanning bank holidays too).

They are always working when i call over in the evenings. They are never home before I am. They cant have flexy hours.

They cant just decide to go on holidays for 2 weeks in say September or May, that i can (or could before covid anyway, but hopefully we will be back there.)

I think prefer my deal tbh. Sure they get a few more days off than i do if i dont take toil, but they are contrained in when they can go on holidays too. I wouldnt like that.

Also i can think of nothing more stressful that being stuck in a classroom all day with a heap of kids and only a half hour break. Definitely not for me.

I used to think id do it for the extra holidays, but my holidays are close enough to theirs and can be taken at will. Id hate to be constrained to the most expensive times to go on holiday too.

They arent unhappy with what they are earning. Everyone else seems to be unhappy with what they are earning though.

I would be unhappy if i was earning what they earn to be honest. That 8 months compared to 11 months that you did is just totally wrong numbers from what I can tell.

I certainly work no more than 10 months. And people with only 20 days hols plus 10 bank holidays would only be working 10.5 months at most.

I think people dont take everything into account properly when they compare other peoples jobs to their own. Everyone always thinks someone else doest work as hard as they do. Its just a moan fest really if people are honest. Irish begrudgery if you like. And we are all familiar with that. Its bred into us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

So, it sounds like you are happy with your conditions and your friends are happy with theirs then. They get a little bit more than a few days extra leave than you do, just a little bit more. And yes, while they can't just go on holidays for a week in September, they may find it is offset by the ability to go for 2 months in July and August for example.

Primary school needs to be open for 183 days a year. In a normal job with say 20 days leave + 9 public holidays, you will work (52 * 5) - 29 = 231 days per year, or 9 and a half weeks more. It is part of the conditions of a teaching job, but when comparing it needs to be taken into account.

You can either go with a job that has the potential to pay more, more risk of job loss, increased hours and less holidays, or you can go with the conditions provided in a teaching position.

I prefer earning more and having less holidays, I wouldn't know what to do with the time off in the summer. Teachers complain about their terms and conditions openly all the time, most notably in the easter union get together. The pension is entirely unfunded, it would be unsustainable to continue the way it was. One of the "vulture" funds buying up property in Dublin is the Canadian school teachers pension fund, they wisely understand that is better and fairer to have a fund built up to cover the pension rather than shift the burden onto future generations.

I would have no.problem finding things to do for 2 months in the summer! 😁😁

I should say the 183 days are for primary school, where the opening hours will be either 9-1:30 or so for junior or 9-2:30 for older kids. A relatively short day, so I assume your friends who are still busy working in the evening long after you are secondary school teachers.

Secondary schools open for 167 days per year. Also to take your example of 10 public holidays (assume good friday) and 27 days off, you work 223 days a year, or a difference of 11 weeks and 1 day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

when the only option you have is sign the deal or dont work in the sector, id imagine you d sign the deal

• Advertisement

The teachers and unions are right to want a fair level for all teachers.

It's no skin off the noses of the teachers on the higher rate but they're right in thinking it's unfair on teachers who started after a certain date to be shafted pay wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

There are other "inequalities" in the public sector. People taken on before 2013 have better pension arrangements. Or various other benefits/contributions (e.g. PRSI) that differ depending on whether taken on before or after 1995.

This is natural in any environment, public sector or private sector. Economic conditions change over time. It's not easy to change something in the contract of existing employees, but there's nothing wrong with new contracts containing different conditions.

If we want true equality, increments shouldn't exceed inflation. Otherwise newer entrants are earning more than older entrants did at the same point of the scale. But it seems equality is only desirable when it's pushing pay upwards.

Also, people love bashing teachers and whinging about them.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel for some.

There's a lot of "experts" on the profession who never taught a day in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Agree with everything you say here. As a teacher I am particularly embarrassed at the behaviour of our unions. Threatening to strike over the vaccines was laughable....Looking for a bonus for the work over Covid is particularly shameful. No one will listen to them on proper issues including the pay restoration for younger teachers and class sizes. It's the old boy who cried wolf story that they seem to forget from their own schooling days. They are painting a negative picture of teachers with the waffle they continually come up with

"bashing" along with "begrudgery" are terms that are often used to try to discredit the valid criticisms that people can have of the teaching profession.

Next day, their own members react:

But see the thing is, the teachers are the union. So they justifiably get criticised for the way their union acts.

• Advertisement

They don't always agree with what their unions request and yes they can be embarrassed by some of the things their unions request.

They're with the unions though on this topic of pay disparity and rightly so.

Plus, people do waffle a lot of rubbish about teaching as if they know all the ins and outs.

If they want to change the way the profession is perceived, perhaps they should take more of an interest in the way their union represents them. The union is fundamentally the members. Maybe next Easter bring up the issue??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Ah I missed having a thread where the usual suspets could have a go at teachers

Most primary teachers work long into the evening. It is something grossly misunderstood by people the amount of work they have to do. Most people assume that they arse around from 9-2 then go home and chill. Most often not the case I could explain why but the armchair experts will be ready to have a go as we have covered it before and sure me or any teacher explaining isnt going to change their pov. Also holidays are lovely but most of us these days spend them doing courses and come back early from 3 or 4 days early upto fortnight early to deal with managerial stuff you wouldnt be interested in hearing about. The "relatively short day" doesnt end when the students go home and starts before they arrive.

It would be basically the same as any professional job. I mean my hours are 9-6 in my contract, I don't think I have ever done that, it is normally 7-6. There is not a chance that say secondary school teachers are doing courses for the entire summer. I mean lets be realistic. I remember you in a thread at the beginning of the pandemic claiming you were working from 4am until 11 at night. From my experience with own primary school age children, they got half an hour zoom a week (a teacher led chat with each other) and a few exercises off twinkl.

Not claiming, I was working those hours to accomodate the kids I had kids getting up early to use laptop before parents were working from home so I was there if they needed me and had kids doing ramadan. Dont see why you have an issue with it tbh. I had issues with internet too. Wonderful. lets be realistic no matter what a teacher says there are people who constantly take issue with it.

Eh you do know that unions propose something and then there's a period of time before the teachers actually vote on it? So while the union might propose something it can be a long period before teachers get a chance to vote and reject it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Those pension arrangements apply to teacher also.

Post edited by History Queen on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

More disingenuous information from teachers. Pity I wasn't paid for correcting teachers' claims all over these boards!

Doing courses entitles you to personal days that you can use to take time off during the school year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You lost me after the very first sentence. Lol

Not sure what is ingenuous, but your comment just confirms my point about teachers posting here. I pay for those days off and study on those courses, it is CPD. But there are certain people who no matter what have an issue with teachers, jealousy really. I feel sorry for them

I'm glad I was able to glean from you that additional info you omitted originally, not mentioning any holidays lost by courses is in fact made up during the year.

Hope this helps everyone.

Youre hilarious hope the chip isnt weighing you down too much, I still didnt say anything ingenuous, just something you dont like. You seem to want to make a big deal out of a teacher doing CPD that makes them a better teacher because of some weird obsession you have. So far this evening, people have tried to make the fact that a teacher was there for their students and does CPD during their holidays out as a bad thing, very strange reaction, also taking thread off topic but sure it is what it is.

Lots of professions have CPD that is completed outside of working hours, nothing special there

As expected. Any correcting and challenging of teachers is met with personal digs.

I did not give any opinion on holidays, Cpd, pay, standard of teachers work or anything of that nature.

Just pointed out a fact.

Somehow you manage to equate providing facts as jealousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Luxemburgo

Ah most do not work consistently longer hours in the evening, my wife is one as are many of my friends (primary).

Also those courses, which mostly consists clicking buttons on a laptop and letting things run while doing other things give them up to additional 5 days off a year.

Peronal digs, i do believe you called me a liar by using term ingenuous

It is interesting the amount of people whose knickers get in a twist over someone doing a job in a way that does not suit their idea of how they believe it works.

Those courses when done properly are not just pushing buttones but sure anyways congrats on finding a teacher who never does work outside of school and belittilng your wife's jobs and CPD to just pushing buttons, she must be so proud

• Advertisement

Oh tell salon fire and luxo they seem to have issue with it

Advertisement