Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do teachers dispute the two-tier pay scale?

Options
  • 29-09-2021 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

In my company there are roughly 3 tiers of employees.

Those that started several years ago. They are earning a serious mint, they have 30 days holidays, health insurance, 15% employer pension contribution.

Those that started roughly 6-7 years ago. I am in this bracket. I earn less than the above, but still a good wage. I get 25 days AL, 10% employer pension contribution and health insurance.

The third tier are those that started more recently. They earn only early 30's, considerably and I mean considerably less starting salary than the previous two tiers. 5% employer pension contribution and VHI only for the employee (the previous two bands of which I am part pay for partners and kids too).

I accepted the conditions of my contract and it'd be nice to be on the gold plated contract that legacy staff are on ... but I'm not. I accept that. Similarly, the newer staff might grovel the odd time, but they too accepted their conditions and they have no reason to complain.

I'm private sector BTW.

Why do teachers, who KNOWINGLY signed their conditions and pay agreements grovel about it afterwards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Because they got fcuked over by the unions. But they were then stupid enough to join the same unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I don't think you know what "grovel" means

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

No they didn’t. It was introduced by the government of the day through emergency legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭blue note

And the union didn't do anything about it. Because they knew they could deal with the problem years down the line. In fairness, I imagine the government knew they were kicking the can down the road too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

By the way, AFAIK, the 10% lower starting salary applies to all new public servants, not just teachers.

They are opposed to it and favour restoration. You can argue that they haven’t done enough in that respect. Would you favour strike action?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,152 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ahh the teachers and their unions.

Ever notice another sector of society is doing well and about to get something and they immediately demand they get something similar.

Years ago during the real celtic tiger economy, the tech and dot com bubble oneupto 2001, they saw engineers, computer science graduates, etc doing well they immediately wanted to be benchmarked against them.

Of course they didn't notice fact that these graduates were often working twice or three times their hours, especially when they factored in their very generous holiday time. Nor they didn't notice these graduates were not entitled to lump sums on retirement or for the most part huge non contributory pensions upon retirement.

Then they wanted to benchmarked against builders who happened to be busting their guts during the building boom.

And when said graduates and builders lost their jobs or got paycuts when the bubbles burst, the old teachers seemed to forget about benchmarking altogether.

Now when someone in government flies the idea that public sector front line workers that worked through the pandemic are going to get something, hey presto the teachers unions suddenly are front line workers also.

Funny I don't remember them in hospital wards where there might be covid patients, working in A&E with possible covid cases, transporting covid patients in ambulances, working in nursing homes riddled with covid patients or out manning checkpoints?

Hell I don't remember them working all hours like some delivery drivers delivering groceries to house bound at risk people.

I do remember them working on full pay and doing a few hours on zoom or some such.

Hell they didn't have the hassel of looking after a room full of kids for 6 months or so.

So fook them.

Back when the two tier system was brought in the existing teachers would not take a pay cut so the unions did a deal where they shafted new entrants or more correctly didn't get the often overly generous terms and conditions of the existing teachers.

They didn't care about recent or future members.

Now though there are a lot of newer members who are looking at the unions and wondering why the fook they should be a member since they have done fook all to get them terms and conditions of employment like some of their lazy less educated older colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The pay scale is unfair to younger teachers and they are right to grumble.

The honest thing for them to do would have been to negotiate that saving to the state to be spread more evenly over all of their members. Instead they let the young teachers take the full brunt of it and are now blaming the government for the fact that they didn't stand up for them back then.

Threatening to strike is normal for them. No they shouldn't do it as often as they do, but that's what they do. In this case the younger teachers were doing the same job as the older ones but for about half the wages. And the union were happy for the saving to be borne by those younger teachers.

• Advertisement

You want a trade union to capitulate and agree to paycuts because the government unilaterally introduced a lower paid tier through emergency legislation?

Look, I understand some people have a problem with whole notion of organized labour, but the idea that the unions “pulled up the ladder behind them” is risible nonsense. This wasn’t the unions’ idea, they didn’t want it, and they want it reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

OP will those newer guys or yourself ever get the opportunity to make it to that top tier contract?

Beverly Hills, California

For a '28 year old Swedish woman' who never went to school here, you sure do start a lot of threads about teachers...........

🤔🤔

Costs had to be cut. Their options were to work with the government on a way to share the cost savings amongst their members or to not contest the younger (future) members taking the burden of the cost saving, with a view to contesting this in the future.

I obviously have problems with unions, I think you'd need to have your head buried in the sand not to see problems with them. And I think you'd have to have your head buried in the sand not to see problems of not having them. The teachers union are particularly dislikeable though. It feels like they threaten strike action a few times a year. During the pandemic we had heaps of people continue to work throughout it and no-one had adequate PPE from the start. But the teachers threaten strike if adequate measures aren't put in place. Their stance on getting priority on the vaccines was particularly bad - I never heard a justification for why a 30 year old teacher would be vaccinated before a 30 year old meat factory worker.

In this case, I criticised them at the time for selling out the incoming teachers and said that this would happen. And surprise surprise, here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Lots of reasons but the main one is a lot of our politicians were once teachers. It is easier for them to go into politics and they get to keep their jobs. To an extent they are a political class and are probably overly respected by the older generation as are priests.

And what exactly does that have to do with the OP, a 28 year old Swedish woman, who never went to school here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

To answer the original question.....Because many of us believe that asking people to do the same job, with the same (and sometimes superior) qualifications and same experience, for less money, is inherently unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

They don't get to keep their jobs. Anyone who is a teacher can take a career break and go and work at something else, go travelling etc. It's not an indefinite career break. That loophole for politicians was closed years ago. Max career break is 5 years which has to be applied for on an annual basis. They don't get paid while on career break and after five years they either have to return to teaching or resign.

You forgot to mention not being qualified to be a teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

No, existing members had commitments, families etc and the union should not have sacrificed them more than was the case already, especially at time when most workers did not have a pay cut. Some people lost their jobs then because their services were not in demand, but demand for teachers rose.

A lower scale was appropriate during the recession, rents etc were lower then. However, when the economy recovered 5 or 6 years ago the new people should have been put on the same scale as everyone else over a period of a few years. The government are quite shameless in their attitude,

• Advertisement

You seem to have a very short memory. The government needed to claw back the stupid commitments they had made during the false property economic boom as the country could no longer (never!) afford them. Unions refused and the compromise was existing staff would get pay freeze, there would be a huge hiring embargo for years, screwing over a lot of young people trying to start a career and impacting public services (but when have the unions ever cared about that) and that all new hires after the embargo would be on less so it would average out over time.

I don't think you understand how unions work in Ireland. That is exactly what they do. Look at any industry (public or private where unions exist) and you find a whole load of "employees who joined before such-and-such-a-date are entitled to x, employees who joined before a-more-recent-date are entitled x/2 and employees who started after-the-most-recent-date get sfa.

This is very common practice. The unions get to tell their existing members that they fought the good fight and preserved their benefits. And in the years to come they get the new members to join by pointing at the mean employer/government who "screwed them" and they need to join the union to prevent it from happening again.

the only wanted it reversed after they had agreed to it (and preserved the payrises for the existing members).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Salary increases demanded by the PS unions during the bubble were funded with one off taxation from the housing market. When the housing market collapsed so did the money to pay them. If the government of the day hadn't capitulated to unions we could have had a large surplus built up to cushion the inevitable end to the bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

As someone who has never worked in the public sector i can never get my head around the fact that people get the ame pay regardless of performance / ability etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭cms88

But they went to college for so long or at least that's how they try to justify it anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

And never can get sacked unless they murder someone in the office and even then...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Not a member of a union myself where i work. Id be (creatively) fired if I was.

Personally I like when a union tries to ask for the ones on the lower tier to be brought up to the same as the higher tier.

Too often the attitude in Ireland is to try and pull others down rather than try to help others up.

Im sick of readin about people moaning what someone else gets and asking for it to be removed rather than ask how can i get that too instead.

You would have a point if we weren't all paying for it. You might also reflect on the fact that taxes are high for high earners here and services are basically awful. Not exactly value for money is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Well even though I know one or two teachers and believe their job is much harder than mine, I actually do not know the value of their skills myself, so i couldnt possibly comment. I do know I get paid far more for a much easier job though.

• Advertisement

Could they maybe move into your area then if they are unhappy with what they are earning? It is also important to remember that teachers are not paid for the summer holidays. So they are really paid for 8 months work as opposed the 11 months that a normal job would have. So point 14 (mid) on the new scale is €57546 (7193 month), which would be equivalent to ~€79k if working the 11 months in a normal job.

Advertisement