Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do teachers dispute the two-tier pay scale?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,716 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Wages are not going to be cut, that suggestion is completely unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

They should be.

For all, both new and old. A cut of at least €10,000 per anum should be made to all tiers.

The current rate of €37,000 up to €70,000 is exorbitant. It should be €27,000 to €50,000.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Well they won't be. With wage increases running at over 5% in the private sector in 2021, substantial wage increases for State employees is on the card from next year. That's the reality of things. Private sector wage increases are currently two times those of the public sector according to the CSO. Unions accepted much reduced pay increases during the onset of the pandemic in the belief that wage deflation would set in across the labour market, whereas the exact opposite has occurred.

You can't compare wage growth between public and private sectors like that.

Increments are not a thing in the private sector but where they are, it's included in that 5%.

But increments are available in the public sector but are never included as part of wage growth. So the 1.5% public sector increase is actually more for the majority when increments are included.

That suggestion is so unrealistic as to be not worthy of debate.

The PS pay deal, called Building Momentum, to replace the PSSA will deliver the following pay increases.

It runs from 01.01.2021 to 31.12.2022

Oct 2021 = 1% or 500 euro pa

Feb 2022 = the equivalent of a 1% increase in annualised basic salaries through a ‘sectoral bargaining fund’ (see below).

Oct 2022 = 1% or 500 euro pa

You will note that 2% or 3% over two years is below inflation, and below wage growth outside the PS.

• Advertisement

Did you not see the comment I just made. It is not 2‰ or 3‰, it is more when you include two years of increments as well.

Still lower than growth outside the PS granted, but please don't throw around tiny single digit percentages as if that's all they are getting.

Yes, many PS will get an increment, yes.

But of course, many PS are at the top of their scale, so no increments for them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

How do you choose to measure ability? Exactly , please, not some vague suggestion? How do you plan to test things like PE, SPHE? Drama?Music? Or do you just plan to test the 3 Rs And if a child hasn't been at school for over half the year, is that the fault of the teacher? What about the child who has suffered a traumatic event during the year or the one who is a nervous tester?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

To those who think that a car park being full is a measure of after-hours work by teachers don't seem to realize that we usually choose to bring our work home, for various reasons. I do all my notes online, so can access them from anywhere.

The heating budget means heat is only on for a small portion of the day , when it does go on and certainly not after hours. At present, with windows open, the rooms are already cold.

In certain cases,it has happened that some parents , knowing the teacher is on site, don't collect their children on time, meaning the teacher is, in effect, child care and can't get on with their own work. My record was having to remain with a child two hours after a match (already played out of school hours)because the parent was shopping in Dublin. The parent pulled up down from the school gate , beeped the horn and shouted at the child to run down to them, to avoid talking to me.)

Security may be an issue in the evenings.

Teachers have their own families and choose to go home to look after them , then do their school work later in the evening.

Pension wise, I have been paying into mine since I was 20. I haven't had a choice.

• Advertisement

You don't have a choice in the type of pension you get either. You know the type, the type private sector workers don't get to choose.

And yet, many private sector people refuse to start a pension, citing that they can’t afford it !

I didn’t have any choice and literally ( in the proper meaning of the word ) had to live on beans on toast in a crappy “ flat “ in a dreadful midlands town for a number of years while private sector friends enjoyed a far greater standard of living AND saved towards mortgages..

Don’t tell me about how I’m getting a “ gold plated “ pension , as if it’s totally paid from the public purse and my sacrifices from more than 40 years .Let’s ensure everyone has to pay into their pension from day 1.

their em

Advertisement