Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,905 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So difficult a call due to the punch power of Wilder....I am 0-3 with Fury in big fights, and 0-4 overall. I think Fury can negate Wilder and smother him for the stoppage...

But, something tells me that Wilder wants this so so so much, and this may mean we see a ridiculously committed and focused Wilder

There should be no surprise if Wilder KOs Fury. Dislike both them, but Fury a wee bit more!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,613 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I don't think Wilders chance of winning have changed since the last fight or even if he is focused or not for him its always going to be just about landing one big shot,

I think Fury has to do what he done last time and that's get on top of Wilder & tire him so that big shots not available after 3 rounds, One thng is Wilder knows what's coming now ,

Iv seen loads of clips of Wilder's camp & I'm convinced Scott is a con man ,

Everything time you hear him speak to Wilder everything is amazing you go , your the best, just gassing him up like he is talking to a kid trying a new sport for the first time, I also seen Wilder say Scott has thought me nothing he has just helped him remember things that's what your dealing with with Wilder an EGO out of control.

Scott been in his camp for years just can't see him changing things enough ,He probably just seen a chance to get paid & knew all he had to do was constantly stroke Wilder's ego to keep the job ,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Wilder is finished folks, his aura is gone,

Fury will walk through him this time around even more comprehensively.

As well as worrying about Furys speed and movement he now also has the added concern that Fury can and will hurt him, his only chance is a punchers chance and i dont see Fury giving him that chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the previous fight was so one-sided, so utterly dominated by Fury, it's really difficult to see a different result in the forthcoming fight. Sure Wilder has a puncher's chance but Fury didn't give him any opportunities to get a punch near him last time; it's only likely to be different this time if Fury isn't fully committed (which is always a possibility).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

well you say that but it hasnt been the case against fury, he caught him clean in the 12th in the first fight with another flush shot as he fell and he still got up.

He actually did, Wilder landed a huge right hand in the first or second i can't recall but Fury said it hurt like f*ck , he manged to just roll it enough ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Your analysis is spot on. Cannot for the life of me understand the mentality people have that Joshua "left that one behind". He was outclassed.

Like yourself, I actually posted on here that Usyk wins this convincingly. Joshua has not faced a peak elite fighter in order to gauge his level. He is a one dimensional HW, extremely vulnerable due to the worst combination of suspect chin and lack of a 12 round gas tank.

It was inevitable that Usyk was going to make him work for every minute of every round. Usyk and his team watched this guy and knew his weaknesses. He was more aggressive here than against Chisora so that is saying something.

So many people blinkered when it comes to Joshua it's unbelievable. He is what he is, top 3 HW from this generation but the fact he can be beaten multiple ways is a huge black mark against him.

Wlad had no chin but his IQ allowed him to have success fighting by protecting it. Joshua for me has no chin, no stamina and no ring IQ under pressure and those are some pretty key components to be lacking.

Some highlight reel KOs against Dillian Whyte, washed up Wlad, Povetkin, Pulev, Martin, Breazeale etc... Don't change my mind. If anything it's brilliant work by match room to generate that kind of hype, but it's a really crap talent pool when youre staying away from Fury and Wilder.

First serious world class name and he was outclassed.

Unfortunately he's just not that good.

I agree with you both that Usyk is a better fighter than AJ & he outclassed AJ

I also think its correct to say AJ went about the fight in the wrong manner & could do it differently to give himself a better chance of wining that not saying it works but at least he'd have a chance,

Every on here knows iv never been a fan of AJ but surely you can still see how he didn't fight to his own strengths ,Now it might not have mattered but it made no sense for him to fight the way he did,

I think most poster realise how good Usyk was & what happened but also where baffled at AJ's approach & how he just stuck with it, Go out on your shield trying to win

• Advertisement

Yes sure but what do you perceive his strengths to be? All well and good displaying aggression and "putting more spite/intent on your shots" But being able to do this is entirely dependent on your ability to do so and who you are fighting.

Its a bit like rueing the opportunity your mate (who scored 20 goals in division 2) had, when he played against Virgil Van Dijk and didn't get a kick. It's all about levels.

Joshua should have dropped the belt, told everyone he has no interest in cruiserweights and hung on for Fury payday if he was smart. There us no way for him to beat Usyk. Some folks seem to think with his lack of stamina he should train for 3 rounds in the hope of taking Usyk out early.

Usyk isn't getting KO'd he is too smart. The complete lack of fear Usyk had when bell went should be the thing that psyches AJ out the most, they have his number.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Saw a video of Fury in training just now on twitter and he looks in terrible shape. Easily 20+ Stone if not closer to 300lbs.

But is his punch power gone? That is the key.....likely not. And for this reason, he is considered a live underdog.

Firstly his mind set , He was no where near intense or aggressive enough because his plan was to box & move, he needed to us his size & strength & to throw that 1,2 down the pipe more often , He actually landed on Usyk quite a bit & stung him on more than a couple of occasions but he never once followed up ,Usyk even stood still a few times after the right hand landed ,So instead of putting more spite in his shots the problem was being happy with landing one & getting out he needed to follow up more

Yes of course he would have got hit with a few shots but he is the heavy weight champion he needs to go into the fire to remain there, Usyk fought very well but just look at his face he was also taking shots something AJ was afraid to do,

Your right there is no guarantee he would have beat Usyk but it would have given him a better chance , Even late on he just accepted what was happing, He can't outbox Usyk so he has to have the balls to go out there & try to put him away & not just accept losing on points,

Put aside weather he can win the rematch for a second , Do you honestly believe AJ performed as well as he could on Saturday & with the right game plan & mindset ?

Yep it’s from training in Vegas in the last few days. He only got out there late last week.

Chap doesn't give a fook......has to be admired

Sugar Hill beside him is only what 5'9 so Fury looks massive compared to him,

I reckon he'll come in about 273-275

• Registered Users Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

You may have a point, while a lot of it was down to Usyk's sheer skill, we maybe overlooking a hangup Joshua has from the first Ruiz fight. Maybe he is reluctant to commit too much after what happened in the first fight against Ruiz. We saw how reluctant he was to engage in the rematch. The punch he took in the third round might have reinforced that.

If there are issues from the Ruiz fight, he's going to have to overcome them for the rematch to have any chance- even then i think Usyk will actually end up stopping him next time.

If i was his trainer i would drill it into him to target Usyk's midriff from the get go in the rematch to try and slow him down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Looks like fury's fighting shape to me, normally has shorts pulled high on fight night so dont see the blubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

How do we know that was a recent video though? Furey loves giving his opponents the impression he's well out of shape, he'll turn up in good condition no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dunston

Joshua was overhyped by Sky and Eddie Hearn from the start, much like they are doing with Conor Benn now who will be schooled by the first world class opponent he faces. Very irritating seeing someone who isn't that talented being marketed as the face of boxing and armchair fans lapping it up and believing in the hype.

Saturday was one of the most gratifying fights to watch in a long time and it has put some of that nonsense to bed. Rematch will only go the same way.

Fury terrible match up for Usyk - hopefully we get to see it end of next year. Neither fighter will be beaten until they meet each other.

Just on the Fury video. He looks his normal in shape self. I’d say 260-270

• Registered Users Posts: 37,747 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I can't imagine Fury would be too keen on taking on Usyk.

I don't think many will like the idea of taking in somebody who makes you work the whole fight. He's now taken out somebody with a big shot and he's still unbeaten.

You'll see a few avoiding him and then the different organisations making ridiculous demands to defend the belts because they don't want a guy like Usyk holding them all.

how in god’s name do you delete a post on this site?

Anyone see Bellew nearly crying after it?

2 different vids of himself and Dillian Whyte trying to approach the ring after the verdict in order to console him.

Like he wanted to see either of those goons at that moment.

Particularly cringe seeing Bellew then try and get Usyks teams attention from the front row much to their bemusement, like they were his best mates

Bellew secretly delighted Usyk won. Kind of lessens the KO he suffered..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Didn't know they hated each other, from what I've seen of Joshua in his last few fights he never stops talking between rounds when he should be listening. He probably wouldn't listen to anybody at this stage.

With the money he has, I think he should retire.

Advertisement