Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,082 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes, but I was more thinking that he would get clipped himself if he plays it too clever and tries to box....

I can see Wilder finding him without too much difficulty....so therefore I was thinking best to take out the puncher before he takes you out....and I would be fairly confident that AJ could find Wilder's chin, as well as confident that AJ has enough power to really dent/wobble/KO Wilder...a real shootout for me.....who lands clean first likely closes the show.

AJ reminds me a lot of our very own McGregor. Both very talented and successful but also limited.

The Diaz and Ruiz avenged defeats are similar. Fighters realised that night how bad Conors gas tank and ground game were. Fighters realised after Ruiz that AJ has a glass chin and is mentally fragile.

Khabib and Usyk defeats are similar in that both were soundly beaten by a better man.

I fully expect the next phase of AJs career to pan out similar as well. I think he’ll struggle against Fury, Wilder or even Whyte.

Guess the moral of the story is that plan A can only get you so far. One day you’ll need plan B and C.

If he struggles against Whyte, he needs to take up gardening or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Josephfromdowntheroad

AJ don't want that smoke anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,863 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's quite possible that Usyk is the best out there. Unless somebody can stop him I find it hard to see them beating him.

McGregor was beaten by the best in Khabib and since then he's been beaten again, twice, by the best in Poirier.

Joshua was beaten by Ruiz, that was a really bad loss for him.

There isn't a heavyweight who isn't limited. Usyk and Furey don't have the ko power, Joshua and Wilder don't have the boxing skills or smarts.

You are way overrating Whyte, he is not in the same hemisphere as those four. There is nobody close to the top four at this moment. One of Yoka, Hrgovic and the Cuban Flash and Ajagbe who meet on the Furey/Wilder card might break through and become a serious contender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It's quite possible that Usyk is the best out there. Unless somebody can stop him I find it hard to see them beating him.

Fury would surely be favourite against Usyk on the whole "good big guy beats a good small guy" maxim.

Whose the better boxer? Whose willing to go toe to toe for 12 rounds with no time off?

We know Usyk doesn't really gas badly, will Furey?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

You are not a mod so stop behaving like one. Point to where i abused somebody like a good boy? Dont think Walshb took what i said as abuse, if he did, bless him.

I didn't take it as abuse.....but it was kind of badgering. Anyway, let's move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Manages to drop in 2 instances of petulance in one post, whilst defending his record on abusing other posters. Jaysus!

• Advertisement

knew you didnt take it as abuse, yes your post could be interpreted either way, we both agreed on that, but yes lts move on.

Yes petulance when a poster is acting as a backseat mod. WAlshb already said he didn't take it as abuse so don't know why other posters are on his behalf.

I'm not a mod, I'm just giving my opinion on your behaviour.

Grow up and you'll get respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dunston

Joe Joyce beats Joshua

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dunston

Teddy Atlas and Porky’s Corner nailed the Usyk Joshua predictions. My go to sources for boxing media. Both unaffiliated with Sky, Matchroom, IFLtv so they say it how it is.

Porky's Corner is majestic. Exposed Dave Coldwell recently for having 12 year olds staying over at his place and wrestling them in their underwear 🙈. Coldwell is a piece of work. Porky is a man on a mission to clean up boxing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If a rematch goes ahead is it likely to be in Kiev?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Reckon it'll go to Saudi or somewhere like that. Wherever the money is. Would have to be Cardiff if in the UK anyway if it's going to be in February as planned. I'd say it's definitely more likely to be abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭squinn2912

That;s a good point. I was supporting Fury against Wilder but I did notice how out of breath he was coming towards the end of rounds 4 on. At the time I was worried about him gassing and walking onto a Hail Mary. I could easily see that happening next week. Wilder’s nonsense (IF it wasn’t planned between the two of them) might serve to refocus Fury and make him mean and hungry on the night. If the Fury who fought Wallin shows up then I can see him in a world of trouble. I don’t think Wilder will allow himself to go out tamely again I can see him swinging big at least (kinda what I think Joshua should have done rather than just allow the last four rounds to get away from him).

I’m less confident in Fury this time and in sports very often upsets come in 2s. Really looking forward to next week now as well.

On the whereabouts of the rematch with Usyk and Joshua I’d be amazed if it’s in Kiev I think that’s a bit of a ploy to get the right percentage from Team Usyk. London, Cardiff or East. Joshua won’t go next nor near USA

Keep out of other peoples interactions, we were quoting one another. Too early to be arguing so im leaving it at that.

Surely Eddie can have the rematch in England? I am assuming Usyk earned his biggest payday last week, and in a rematch he likely tops last week’s pay.

Circa 3-4 million pounds Usyk earned, and unless I’m mistaken, I don’t believe he has earned that much previously. His highest previous was vs. Chisora at around 2.5 million pounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Surely he could sellout a stadium in the Ukraine?

He's now the champion, bringing it to the Ukraine would increase his chances or winning the rematch.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yes, but Eddie is the one with the power. And you can bet he and team AJ will want this rematch to be as favourable and comfortable as possible for AJ. Not to make it at all easy for Usyk. Home advantage with no travelling, and all that comes with travelling!

Jeez thought he would get more than that, would it be in contract that he gets 50% if hes champion, surely deserves that.

Be no surprise if AJ earns more than Usyk in rematch.

My point was that Usyk likely earns more in the rematch. He got circa 3-4 million pounds last week. AJ got close on 15 million.

ah yeah he will have to earn more but should be getting 50%purse if right was right but knowing Hearn not a hope, why fury was driving him mad demanding 50% and he would have had to concede.

Agreed..

Just to be clearer on my point. I was meaning Usyk likely earns more in the rematch than he earned last week, not more than AJ will earn in the rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,641 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I agree with Hearn that AJ needs to come forward in the rematch & be far more aggressive like the Aj of "OLD" ,

But Hearn seems to have missed the part where AJ sh*ts himself whenever he is hit since the Ruiz fight ,Also in the early rounds AJ legs buckled at least 2 time & one was from a jab,

I don't think he has a bad chin i think its because he is absolutely terrified of being dropped, He hit Usyk with far more big shots but Usyk was happy to take them & stay composed, Ruiz done a number on AJ mentality

You can bet yourself we will never se AJ v Wilder he would absolute cack himself every time a punch is thrown

Now im NOT calling him a coward but he just loses composure under heavy fire ,

Ah yeah got that. Just think he should earn equal to aj this time but we know he wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I dont think Usyk will really care where the fight is. Loads of previous in fighting in his opponents back yard and it not causing him any bother. Fight will be where the most Money is, Be it Saudi/London or Ukraine. May depend on whats left of AJs drawing power in UK. Not sure he sells out stadiums anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I will watch it again but I can see how many would get a bit take it or leave it. Joshua has been damaged by this and his die hard fans can’t call it a blip or a lucky shot. They didn’t even bother with the conspiracy theories of him being poisoned or concussed three weeks prior. He was soundly beaten. Some alluded to his behaviour (I suppose you could call it) when the last bell rang. I wouldn’t criticise him for this he was out on his feet and particularly the 11th and 12th he took a pummelling he did well not to succumb.

Did anyone actually time the last round? I don’t think there was an early bell at all. At most from what I saw 3-4 seconds. Usyk had kinda given up on the KO by then and they were both waiting on the bell I think that’s a non story.

Bit of a disgrace that rematches mean a guy doesn’t get even 50% after dethroning a champion. Hard work having to win twice to get the shackles off.

Advertisement