Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2021 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Another lovely warm sunny start to day here in South West Dublin 😎,cracking conditions for late September

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭boetstark

Brilliant news, thank you so so much. Best post from you in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Was a gorgeous balmy morning here in Dublin, went for a jog on Clontarf promenade and there wasn't a hint of wind. Feels like being in a different country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another beautiful warm September day. Make the most of it today is the last of the 'summer warmth'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Best Post from him in a long time why? Because it tells you what you want to hear?

Doesn't mean there will be more warmth anyway, though i wouldn't be surprised if there was.

We have had effectively nearly an extra month of summer this year,what more do people want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Hairypoppins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Another beautiful day in Dublin. September has been superb, warm and dry nearly the whole month. It has felt like summer to be honest, even heading out on evening stroll this week you would have gotten away with a tshirt

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭alentejo

Unusual to see burnt grass in late September. Today Could be like a July day during a drought.

I don't particularly want that either (though i don't mind the odd day like that every now and then) but I do like the seasons to feel seasonal at least

Sometimes it feels like the seasons are becoming more homogeneous to an extent anyway and I certainly don't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Meanwhile despite being an anomalously dry and warm month to average, it has also been an often cloudy month (which is part of, not the only reason, why I express hatred for it). The limited stations' sun data I have are only around 40-60% of their average September sunshine with Cork Airport at only 58.7 hrs which is currently below its cloudiest Sep on record (2016, 68.4 hrs) but I expect it to go above that. Dublin was less than 50 hours before last Sunday, fortunately this past week has had some reasonable days with sunny spells and now almost 80 hrs which is still some way below average but an improvement at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭The Silver Branch

Personally I'd like 2 main seasons. Summer and Winter. Two short transitionary seasons of spring and autumn.

Spring April and May, Autumn October and November. Four months summer with a September like this. Four months winter with March like 2013 and 2018.

I'm sure there are places in the world with that climate, some mid lattitude continental areas?

Well we won't have much of a winter this year. This very warm September has effectively aborted it while its still in the womb imo. Autumn this year oct 2021- March/April 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I'm not sure why you are ignoring all the favourable signals that Sryan outlined in the winter thread but are instead running with the idea that a warm September = mild winter. The temperature of a month three months before winter has no bearing on what winter will be like! A dry April supposedly means a poor summer is coming, obviously that's not what happened this summer. There is no point focusing on one detail (which is in fact a coincidence rather than an actual signal) but ignoring every other factor. If winter does turn out to be a disaster, it will have nothing to do with how warm September was.

I'm not ignoring those signals. They are good signals for a cold winter. But the warmth now could be setting the tone for the coming months. That overall tone will imo override any cold winter signal.

We've been here many times before regarding warm Septembers in recent times and in each of those I thought we would have a mild winter. I see no reason why this year will be different.

If we are to get anything in the way of cold this winter, December imo is our best hope. But overall a mild one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think overall people are over reacting and already cancelling winter based on a warmer than average September. It is true that winter is often favoured by an average September (can be dry or wet) and a dryish October (temperature doesn't matter) and a very wet November. Of course there is far more to it than this and I think basing everything on the September we've just experienced is like basing an entire Summer on the weather we have in March or April.

Even if we end up with an overall mild winter, that doesn't mean snow is not possible. You could have 1 really cold week in an overall mild winter and the winter would still be milder than average despite a week of cold and snowy weather. The time to worry about winter is heading into February when we are still chasing the cold 10 days away etc.

From September 10th. Last paragraph, the tone,its about the tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just looking at Claremorris data, and the current September mean value is standing at 15.1c, which is 0.7c above the highest full September mean (14.4c in 2006) on record. The average absolute low minima for this station is 2.1c for the month of Sept; so far, the low this year is 7.1c. Even in 2006 a low of 3.1c was achieved, which occurred of the 15th of that month.

New Moon

I thought back in September 2006 that we were being set up for a mild winter. Lo and behold thats what happened.

I'll be honest, I echo the concerns you have and it does seem we just get incredibly unlucky time and time again. Last year was the epitome of that with some very good synoptics if it's cold weather you seek but the air just was not cold enough to produce widespread snow events, it was combined with a record warm Siberia which is not the case in 2021. If the air was cold enough, just imagine how much difference that would have made last year with so much blocking.

However, if you know me, I don't believe in the temperature or precipitation of a particular month affecting a succeeding season and it's all coincidental. It is the patterns, drivers or teleconnections surrounding those that matter such as ENSO, MJO progression, state of the stratosphere (everybody's favourite 😂) etc.

I barely remember the winter's of the mid 'noughties' tbh because they were, by and large, largely forgettable.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Turning colder from tomorrow evening and may be the first time your heating will be on, I know it will be my first time, temperatures Monday morning could be 6 or 7c in spots

You like wet stormy winters. I'm surprised you don't remember winter 06/07.

22C here at Dunshaughlin and warm sunshine. We will be lucky to scrape 10C on Monday. Tomorrow will still be mild but it will be a transitional day from mild in the morning to cold and wet by the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yep looks like we are on the brink of kissing summers last vestiges goodbye for another year. Another lovely day today though clouded over a bit for now here, still warm for the time of year @ 19.2C

Please jebus hold off the rain at least next Sunday week morning (marathon in Belfast).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

While teleconnections play their part i believe in trends and patterns. I kept banging on last winter that we haven't had a proper cold spell in the second half of Jan in decades . Is that coincidence or a trend? A trend imo. Of course it could be said our climate is warming anyway and that's the bigger trend overall of course.

I looked through the Phoenix Park data since 1855-56 and analysed Winter mean temperatures along with the Septembers that preceded those and this is what I found. Firstly, here's the graph of all the data although admittedly it is a bit messy and all over the place so hardly that helpful! Apologies again if quality is poor too, not sure what is with new Boards and posting graphs for me! The years 1959-60 and 1960-61 are not available.

Secondly, the average temperatures to keep in mind for September and Winter (DJF) are 13.4C and 5.1C respectively - these are 1981-2010 averages. When I combine the top 25 warmest Septembers at Phoenix Park, I get a following winter mean temperature of 5.4C which is slightly above the modern average. Out of those, there were 5 winters that had 4.1C or lower (at least -1C below 81-10 average). Another 2 contained at least one notable colder than average month but the winter as a whole was masked by the other month(s) being greatly milder.

Conversely, if I combine the top 25 coolest Septembers at Phoenix Park, I get a following winter mean temperature of 4.8C which is slightly below the modern average to the same extent as winters following the warmest Septembers are slightly above the modern average. Using older averages, this 4.8C mean temperature would be around average whilst the 5.4C would be even more greatly above average. Out of the winters following the coolest Septembers, there were 5 winters that had 4.1C or lower just like those following the warmest Septembers. However, there were no additional winters that contained at least one notable colder than average month whilst the winter as a whole was masked by other periods being greatly milder.

One last thing I tried was all the 'close to average Septembers' where the mean temperature is within half a degree (-0.5/0.5) of average whether below or above. The mean temperature for the winters following these Septembers I get is 5.0C which is basically average for a modern winter, slightly above for older averages. So 'close to average Septembers' are not biased to mild or cold winters following them. There are some notably very cold winters in this sample space such as 2009-10 and 1946-47 but equally there are some exceptional mild ones too such as 1997-98 and 1989-90.

I had decided on Phoenix Park for this analysis as whilst it does have UHI, its long-term record cannot be understated and can be useful for analysis such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭compsys

Thanks as always sryanbruen.

But I was wondering if we've ever had places that had a colder April than March AND a warmer September than August in the same year?

Apologies, had a feeling you were referring to that but wasn't sure. Out of the years named with September being warmer than the preceding August, no it has not happened before combined with April being colder than the preceding March. 2021 is pretty unique in that regard.

EDIT: However, for the Central England region, if that were to happen, it would join 1750 which also had this unusual occurrence of events but March 1750 was exceptionally mild rather than April being particularly cold.

Very interesting Syran! I suppose when we see slight correlations either way we also have to consider that much of this could be just noise as well.

One pet theory I have (and I have never actually looked into it with the stats) is that if we see a good amount of frost in October that the following winter will be largely frost free. I don't know why I hold that view but it seems more instinctive than learned. Might actually take a look at the stats on this sometime and maybe prove myself wrong!

New Moon

• Advertisement

Good work sryan. Perhaps there is some correlation regarding warm Septembers taking the years altogether not much but some. My main thinking on it is more along the lines of Septembers in the last 25 yrs or so.

Advertisement