Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2021 - General Discussion

Options
1272829303133»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yeah but there's no getting away that this autumn has been a very mild one. Was almost in record territory had November not cooled down a fair bit in the past week whilst still being up there with the warmest I'm sure. Stats to come in probably by Thursday.

Rain this evening ensured Dublin Apt hasn't set a new November record, neither has Cork Apt by the looks of things on the observations. November 2021 likely second driest though and in Dublin's case, comparable to how dry April and June were. 3 exceptionally dry months in one year is quite something. It's also Dublin's driest autumn since 2007, no idea about other locations yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Can't recall anything remotely interesting about this autumn, other than the constant humid heat which did bring a bit of thunder in early September, which itself brought no relief afterwards.

0.01/10.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Haven't hated the autumn but it has definitely been very boring with little variation and interest to speak of. Dry weather was appreciative for usual commuting and colours were great by late October and November though took a long while to get there compared to most years. Not an autumn I will be telling my grandchildren about.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Loved this autumn, way below average rain and not much wind. Lovely to see the Autumn colour changes on the tress for the whole season. Endless beautiful weekend mornings as well for activities with the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Overall, I liked this autumn despite how boring it was. I enjoyed September because of how usable it was but the persistent warmth became tedious by October, which is mainly why I didn't particularly like October. I liked November and thought it was one of the better ones, far better than the last 3 disastrous Novembers. Even though it was a mild month, it did not feel as unseasonable as October and there were some chilly, sunnier periods thrown in too. November 22nd was particularly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Some autumn 2021 stats (based on the national mean)

Warmest day: Sept 7th. 24.5c

Warmest night: Sept 9th. 15.6c

Coolest day: November 27th. 5.9c

Coolest night. Also November 27th. 1.1c.

Wettest day: October 27th. 19.1mm

Driest days (nationally speaking) occurred on both Sept 1st and 3rd.

data: Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dunsany finished up November with a mean temperature of 7.6C (+0.6) with a collapse in the mean temperature during the final week of November. This time last week the mean temperature was around 9.2C.

Rainfall finished on 30.2mm, incredibly dry for November which is regularly one of our wettest months of the year. The 2021 total is standing at 701.2mm which is about 200mm off what we see most years. Unlikely to see 200mm of rain during December so this year will most likely finish up drier than average.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

I find the Autumn of 2021 a bit of a strange one to sum up but personally I do not see it lasting too long in my own memory.

It had a few interesting points alright but for the most part here in this part of the west, the last three months certainly had a lot of bland and fairly benign weather.

Some personal highlights: Some really nice autumn colour on trees and shrubs that lingered on a good bit longer than normal. No doubt the seemingly endless mild weather combined with a lack of autumnal gales and strong winds probably helped the leaves to stay on the trees for a couple of weeks longer than usual. I actually had a bit of a leaf fall in the garden this autumn that was very picturesque because in other years, the gales would normally have the leaves well scattered.

Some good days in early September. Some interesting lenticular clouds here in Mayo on the 23rd of the same month were also a nice highlight.

Dislikes: There certainly seemed to be a lot of bland grey murky weather about over the past couple of months. Plenty of anticyclonic gloom and plenty of days where weak fronts seemed to fizzle out or stall over us with spits and spots of mist and drizzle and a general dampness about the place.

Having to cut grass in November was also a first for me here. I noted a few other posters commentating on having to do likewise.

It felt that clear, bright sunny days were at a premium in recent months and days that often seemed to start out brightly, usually succumbed at some stage to an enveloping grey blanket.

Finally though, it ended on a little bit of a high note. I liked waking up and seeing a bit of a white dusting on the Mayo mountains last Saturday morning that arrived courtesy of that plunge of Arctic air. A little bit of white gold in November is always a bonus in my eyes. Here's hoping for something a bit more substantial over the next couple of months!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I made a big mistake going out in a hat, jumper and jacket this morning for a walk. It's warm out; would barely need the jacket. Is this our penance for a mere week or two of colder weather? Back to this warmth that's been with us the last 8 months. I really thought we were moving to winter weather the last two weeks. This just feels wrong in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

it should be getting more seasonal in a weeks time as high pressure takes control

Advertisement