Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2021 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Cool dry weather with frost at night is my favourite weather type during autumn and winter (snow in winter these days i see as a bonus ). Dont mind days like this if they aren't too ,too plentiful.

Spring in 5 months time is more of a mental thing then anything else really. Spring doesn't really get going till April most yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭The Silver Branch

Each to their own.

There's the daylight thing with Spring too Bill. Like SAD sufferers generally find symptoms easing after Valentine's Day.

The forum goes to show the many and varied tastes in weather conditions! We're all passionate enough about weather or we wouldn't be here!

I don't mind the wind and rain so much once November arrives. Like a good storm. And snowfall. Just got so used to our long summer this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I miss the dry, warm, sunny and humid weather too. I'm already sick of this Atlantic weather and it's barely here 24 hours! Looks very unsettled over the next 7 to 10 days but hopefully we can get a ridge of high pressure back in October to settle things down again with some hopefully frosty nights and crisp sunny days.

I like the fact that we do get different types of weather in this country ( even if overall we are dominated by the Atlantic ). If I lived in a country say near the equater for example with little variation in the seasons apart from dry or wet seasons i would have little interest in the weather .

I love the fact we have seasons and am probably a bit ocd in wanting seasonal weather lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭sudocremegg

Very changeable today. Cool in the shade, light but fresh breeze, warm out in the open at times. Leaves are starting to fall this past week too.

It's an interesting time of the year being able to observe the weather change. Won't be long now and the storms will be arriving 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The reason I love Autumn (usually... this September aside) is that it is rarely ever too warm or too cold. The nights are drawing in and Atlantic fronts start to get... or should get at least.. more active. I will often look forward to summer, particularly if the late winter & early spring( a period of the year I most hate) is cold and drab, as it often is, but too much heat and esp too much humidity begins to wear me down as the season progresses. The period between the autumn equinox and winter solstice is probably for me the most interesting (for me) of the year for both temperature and daylight length wise.

New Moon

The ber months have always been my favourite time of the year . At least when they are in the mood anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Took me a few seconds to twig what the 'ber months' were!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pad199207

Torrential squally showers in Kildare. 24mm last 24 hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Dazler97

My step dad in Anglesey is getting blasted out of it with thunderstorms ⚡⚡

• Advertisement

A look north towards Kilkenny from Waterford about 30 minutes ago. Weather systems are moving through fast today.

Forgot to attach file.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I could see that from Greystones earlier! Impressive CB. Didn't take a picture.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Fire lit for the first time in a long time. Temperature outside only 9C and feeling very cool.

I try to not put the heating on till around Halloween if I can.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Numerous showers in Kerry today, 4.2mm recorded at my site but there was some huge showers in Tralee , one about 15.00 where I couldn't get out of the car for a few minutes. Good sunny spells also. Got up to 15.4C so still warm in the car in the sunshine, feeling cool tonight at 11C, house although heated up nicely today is cooling down now, probably need a bit of heat for an hour tomorrow night, a small fire should do it.

NASA EOSDIS from earlier today, some nice convection showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Charts for this weekend are looking pretty ferocious in N Ireland especially, wondering if/when the first warnings will start rolling out. Really hope the storms hold off until Monday! (Belfast marathon on Sunday morning, might be cowering under my bedsheets if this mornings charts play out)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Are thunderstorms viable from you now? Some sparks off the east coast again

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Visible I assume? They would be if I was looking out! 😃 A lot of dark clouds out to sea but busy working without the sea view at the moment.

• Advertisement

Yes sorry visable sorry stupid autocorrect lol I would have loved to see some flashes today but sadly I didn't here in Carrick on Shannon

I know this is out of place, but in anticipation of the coming winter😉

I was looking up the historic data sets on the Met Eireann Website. I was looking at one for Birr from 9th January until 26th January 1881 inclusive. It's a period of 18 days, it must be one of the coldest 18 days ever recorded in Ireland, it includes the 16th January, when -19.1C was recorded in Markree Castle, Sligo. We have a mean temperature of -4.8C for the period at Birr! The end and beginning of January were relatively mild. The month as a whole averaged -1.06C. But those 18 days... They included 10 ice days and a few very near misses.

I know it's too early to call but I think hurricane sam could hit us next week depending on the jetstream and the azores high

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

What is typical October weather for Ireland ? Also has MT made his winter forecast yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭pauldry

Definitely chance of a storm in the next week to 10 days

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I'm back. Hope everyone is well. An interesting summer here in Donegal. Those 10 days in July were just out of this world. Gave us all such a lift.

Looking forward to what I hope will be a busy winter. Wouldn't mind a good autumn storm in the meantime....

GFS 12z going for an Indian summer from 7th October. The operational run is on the warmer side of the ensemble but there are several other members also going for just as warm or warmer. Unlikely to verify but if we did temperatures up to 22C could be expected.

Even if we don't get the very warm operational run verify there is definitely a notable warming trend into the second week of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

22 degrees in mid-October!? Please no.

When you can get 20c on 1st November, in sunshine, in Dooks Kerry, in 2015, 22c 3 weeks earlier is possible in favourable conditions. I remember many a 21C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Looks like the final Sep total for Dublin Airport will be 103.9 hours or thereabouts as little to no sunshine expected here today so the cloudiest September in Dublin since 1993! Cork Airport as I expected has surpassed its 2016 total with 76.0 hours now to 28th.

Wonder how the mean temperatures will be. Phoenix Park is currently around 15.7C to 28th Sep (albeit this is a midnight to midnight estimation rather than the climatological 09-09) which is on par with 2006 its warmest on record. I anticipate it has dropped below 2006 after yesterday.

Advertisement