Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2021 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭compsys

Thanks as always. Follow you on Twitter also. Love your stats and info. So informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Oct 2018 for example was fairly frosty if I remember and I think Dublin Airport recorded its coldest oct night on record that yr. The following winter was very forgettable.

There was some harsh frosts at the end of Oct 08 and 10.

The main warm Septembers of the last 25yrs off the top of my head are 98,01 ,06,11 ,16 and of course now 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Yet another warm sunny start to the day here in my part of the world, probably the last one for some time unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pad199207

Bright breezy morning in Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A dart wet morning here in Castlebar with heavy squally rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭acequion

A horrible morning here in Tralee. Our lovely weather seems to be coming to an end 😔 But we really can't complain, it's been gorgeous. For me it was the perfect blend of summer and autumn. Mild and balmy. Perfect for my garden which is still full of life and colour, perfect for country walks and blackberry picking and perfect for us ladies to get a last wear out of the summer dresses and sandals.😀

We will miss you, lovely weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yes, none of the cold winters following the top 25 warmest Septembers occurred since 1990 or even those additional few with at least one notable colder than average month. All of them were before then. In fact, the years in the top 25 from this century are 2016, 2011, 2006, 2005, 2004 and 2003 (2014 in the top 30 as well). Mild winters followed all of them (2016-17, 2011-12 and 2006-07 all among mildest on record) except 2005 which was average but exceptionally dry.

Feels weird that the transition from summer to Autumn is effectively taking place this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pad199207

Increasingly windy now in Kildare but still waiting on the arrival of the rain

• Advertisement

The dividing line between summer and autumn......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Summer trying to hold on in Leinster -

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hello Autumn, over 5c drop now in South Laois. Currently 12.8c!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭The Silver Branch

I'm not sold on the warm September over the last 25 years meaning a mild winter.

For one main reason. Since winter 1990/91, 30 years ago, the vast majority of winters have been mild. I'm sure the same case could be made for a warm July, August, October being followed by a mild winter, we've had so many mild winters in that period.

As for today marking some sort of watershed, yes it's pretty certain we won't hit 22/23c again. However, having a few days in mid October being like a summers day at 17-20C, that's a 50/50 probability. We often get a few days or a week of days like that in October. Again if it turned to Spring on 26th March you wouldn't rule out snow in April. I think, sryan will confirm, April 1989 was colder than January 1989 in some Met Stations. To conclude, there's no reason we won't throw off our jumpers on a calm October 20c day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Suns out here in Castlebar behind the front. A bit cooler,nothing major. Not a bad evening now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Bye bye Summer 2021, you will be missed. Rain starting now in Dunshaughlin and temperature already down to 16C from 20C just 2 hours ago. Temperature will likely drop a few more degrees over next 1 to 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Correct, April 1989 was almost 2C colder than January 1989 at Moore Park.

The only thing predictable about our weather is it's unpredictability 🙂

Do ye remember pre Ophelia in mid October 2017 the Sunday evening before it was 20C until near midnight in a balmy southerly as the 'hurricane' approached.

Except i think it's becoming very clear we're recording new warm temperature records more frequently. Warming is taking place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

temperature now dropped to 12C here in Meath, a drop of 8C in a few hours. Still raining here but not as heavy as earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Certainly a fresher feel to the air after that cold front passed through today.

The clearing skies allowed for a nice splash of colour to show on this September evening in this part of Co. Mayo.

Pontoon, Co Mayo earlier this eve.

Below. River Moy, Foxford

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

12.1mm from yesterdays rain here in meath, nice morning today, breezy and very sunny, temperature a lot cooler to

A sunny morning here in Meath but noticeably cooler. Autumn is definitely here now and will make it's progress into much of northern and central Europe over the next few days. Tuesday night/Wednesday morning could see a touch of grass frost in places with temperatures possibly getting down to 2 or 3C in places if skies clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

This morning started much fresher and cooler, which was of course more pleasant for me. Just out at lunch there and it seems to have warmed up but there's definitely a freshness in the breeze which takes the heat out of the day. Finally, more pleasant temperatures signifying that autumn has joined us at last. Bar a few showers yesterday evening, there hasn't been any sign of rain. North Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Had an almighty hail shower in Cork City at lunchtime - had to seek shelter. In the sunshine then it was actually quite warm. However, can notice the difference in night time temperature since last night - had the heating on for a bit.

Got caught out in an intense shower and a few very loud rumbles of thunder and a flash of lightning with it. Lots of surface water on roads and footpaths.

I miss the summery weather. This is our usual cool, blustery, showery weather, I can't find anything remotely pleasant in it personally. Cool, showery, north Atlantic derived messiness. You take a jacket off for a few min working outside, in another few minutes you're running for a jacket for a shower. The shower turns into a deluge and you have to stop working. If it was warm summer rain it would be something but the temperature drops 4-5c in the showers.

The contrast from working in shorts and t-shirt at 21c on Saturday is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

First ping pong hail of the season here about 30 mins ago which started out as a pretty drenching but nice on the skin sun shower.

New Moon

Autumn had to arrive sooner or later. The summer lovers have little to be complaining about imo this year. Decent enough summer overall. Decent June, heatwave in July,poor August but September made up for it.

Only 5 months till the start of spring. .....

• Advertisement

Oh I know. But I'm making the point that in my opinion windy, cool, showery weather isn't as pleasant as warm, calm, dry weather and I wanted it to last as long as possible. Cool, dry autumn weather with frost is fine. When wind and rain enter the equation, I don't see much pleasure.

Good luck with spring starting in 5 months. 27th February is usually pretty unspring like, as is March more often than not.

Advertisement