Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2021 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just for this stage of the month, 2006 is running about 0.1c behind this September's exhibit. I think Syran mentioned that 2006 cooled down at the end of the month. Hopefully, something similar will happen this time around:

but unlikely to impact on a potential record breaker.

Edit, just read back on Syran's post. 2006 stayed warm throughout.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hopefully this weather pattern continues well into October, I'm thoroughly enjoying the mild and at times sunny weather, but especially the calmness of it all. Let it howl wind and lash rain all it likes when the clocks go back - time enough then.

Getting opportunities to be outdoors practically every evening till 8.30pm is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Fax charts look very zonal for early next week, some could have their wishes.

As a runner its been glorious not having to contend with lashing rain and particularily winds for months now. Wouldnt mind if it kept up like this for another while though (until after October 3rd when i'm running Belfast marathon would be fine!), it always balances itself out eventually. We will probably pay for this prolonged settled spell at some point.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭White Clover

Maybe we're only getting back what we are owed? As farmers, April and May were a disaster. This weather is now making up for them 2 months, hopefully it continues through October too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just one poster. Only one. He can do whatever he likes. Time after time after time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭lolie

Personally i dont mind this weather, bit bland some days but you'd think we were in the middle of December not September the way some are giving out about the warm weather.

We'll have several months of dark dreary crap ahead so i dont mind if its October before we get a storm or nice nights frost.

Nice morning to view the sunrise on the top of Loughcrew.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭The Silver Branch

Yes the idea that September is a rain and storm fest doesn't ring true from memory here.

I do remember the weather becoming stormy around the equinox on occasion. And of course Hurricane Debbie 1961.

But September has often been a calm month, often more summery in nature than autumnal, in terms of temperature. In the same way March can be wintry.

There's months of dark, with wind and rain ahead and September will be a distant memory.

Much like the the hot 10 days in July seemed ages ago after the first 3 weeks of August rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

There certainly was a touch of Autumn here this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

So why not just put someone on ignore if you really don't like their posting? The only solution really. Responding to someone only starts the back and forth then, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

For me Irish weather is simple

No rain, calm = a good day

No rain, calm with sun out = a Beautiful day

No rain, calm with sun out and above 19 C = an exceptional day.

Snow, windstorms, Thunder and lightning would also come under the exceptional bucket for me and are most welcome in moderation.

by that criteria this summer and September have been brilliant for me personally about 1 mile as the crow flies from Casement and I personally won't hear of anybody complain about "bad weather" to me. I am pretty sure a lot of people out west and north must really feel it sticking in their craw when people moan about the current weather.

Would it be a stretch to assume about 99% of Irish people would have somewhat of the same criteria as mine? There may be the 1% who don't ,and they are well entitled to their opinion but as I said before about rubbing it in, telling a Donegal man that Ireland is Equatorial in its climate and that this summer/sept we had on the east coast and many midland and SE stations was ****, well I will just leave it at that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Yet another stunning warm sunny September day here in South West Dublin,love it 😎

The north of Scotland temps are really above normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭pauldry

While it gets cool from Sunday evening it may not last. Even the cold of Sunday will be around 14c days and 9c nights. By Wednesday it could get mild again. Think October will continue the warm trend but probably 18c on the warm days but there will likely be more of these than not. Bar the odd storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

September is not a wet and stormy month but this one has been more calm than usual. The national mean wind speed for this September is currently running at 6.5 knots which is actually record calm (since 1981 at least)! The current calmest September is September 2014 which had a national mean of 6.8 knots.

The recent days have tended to be windier however and the national mean is steadily rising. Yesterday was the windiest day since August 13th nationally speaking.

Here's how 2021 compares on a daily basis to 2010 (a record calm year for many) as of 22 September.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Consistent signals that warm temps will become a feature as we get deeper into October (after an average start)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

We may get a great 'Fall' season of colours if the calm settled weather was to continue into October. Always a good added bonus.

Good point @Squeaksoutloud. I had forgotten about them somehow. 2013 was probably the last spectacular season for them and this year has had some similarities with that in terms of how the weather has gone.

Typically, the leaves of deciduous trees have around a 6 month life expectancy. Many trees here remained bare up to early to mid-May this year which was similar to 2013. So the leaves could stay on trees later than usual into the autumn lasting through November if winds remain generally calm.

Drought or prolonged dry weather can be as much as a negative impact however as strong winds so some rainfall at times would be good for the leaves.

2010 had leaves changing colour in late August. Some said it was drought. But the same didn't happen in 1995 which had far higher soil moisture deficits.

I believe in 2010 that was partially the result of some unusually cool nights through late August and grass mins were around freezing - which can destroy the chlorophyll in the leaves quicker. That was the other thing about 2013, there was little cool weather to be had through September and October 2013 and any frosts or cold nights that did occur in November weren't severe or notable like in 2010. Balance is key!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I can’t get over how consistently mild the nights have been all summer and early autumn. Still 16 degrees in the west in plenty of stations at midnight.

• Advertisement

I long for cold crisp days and jumping in puddles. Each morning I read MT's forecast with hope only to be disappointed. I'm not a mild weather lover and it feels like it has been this way for an eternity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A big change is finally on the way from Sunday evening to unsettled and chilly. The drop in temperature could be a shock to the system as we haven't had many days cooler than high teens/low twenties over the past 3 to 4 months. But it had to happen soon as summer style temperatures can't go on indefinitely away from southern Spain during the autumn and winter.

Hopefully it'll come back for some of October. A few weeks of 15-18c.

Amazing. Some Met Stations above the July average up to 23 September.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dunsany is sitting at 15.3C for September, that's 2.3C above average for the time of year. August finished on 14.9C so with the cooler conditions over the next few days I suspect the mean temperature will fall back into the 14s. As for the CET it's going to be tough to get that under 16 as it is currently at 16.8C and only a week of cooling left on the table.

Rainfall for September is currently very light at only 8mm for Dunsany but I suspect that will get a big boost from Sunday and into next week.

Oak Park Carlow at 15.8c. The cooler air will only hit midnight Monday 27 September. You have 27, 28, 29, 30 to bring down that average. It'll be 15.1 or 15.2c. Record stuff. We're just getting some north Atlantic air too. Probably slightly below normal. We're not getting a northerly blast, so not going to make a huge difference to the mean.

Also late in the month. You'll have 26 days by 15.8. And maybe only 4 days with 11c mean to lower it.

Post edited by The Silver Branch on

the incoming colder weather also may not last that long, temperature anomalies look like going above average again later next week. The models for October look fairly mild overall with high pressure possibly coming back in about a week to 10 days time.

My station at Arklow has reached 22c today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭compsys

The temp has reached 20º or more on nine days so far this September, which beats the number of 'warm' days in August.

Looks like September could end up (ever so slightly) warmer than August in Dublin (after April was colder than March).

Surely that hasn't happened before?

At the Airport, September bet the preceding August in terms of mean temperature in 1985 and by a full degree (13.5 Aug vs 14.5 Sep). It also occurred in 2011 (13.5 Aug vs 14.0 Sep).

At Phoenix Park, this occurred in 2011 (14.2 Aug vs 14.4 Sep). I currently don't have PP monthly data before 2003.

At Casement, this occurred in 1985 (13.4 Aug vs 14.2 Sep), 2006 (15.4 Aug vs 15.5 Sep) and 2011 (13.6 Aug vs 14.0 Sep).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pad199207

Beautiful balmy morning. Can we keep this going into October please!

Advertisement