Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Bout Dem Bears?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭davetherave

But if they make a covered stadium, we won't be able to prattle on about "Bear weather". Think of what a cultural loss that would be.

The whole "Let's make them come to Chi-Town and deal with the weather" spiel hasn't really stopped teams beating us at home though :pac:

It's a tough one, and obviously someone going to Soldier Field 10 or so times a year would have more of a knowledge base than me, who was there for a game once, 15 years ago. Beautiful stadium location, let down by an old, small stadium that is by all accounts a pain to get to either by train/metro or parking.

Is Arlington really that far "out" though, when you consider the size of the city. It's got a train station in the car park, it's one street off of a highway for car access, big site to get restaurants, bars, parking, maybe even bung a hotel in there.

The only thing I suppose is as the Chicago Mayor says, they have a lease/contract for another 12 years so this whole thing could come to nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The whole "Let's make them come to Chi-Town and deal with the weather" spiel hasn't really stopped teams beating us at home though :pac:

I should note I was being sarcastic. Most NFL teams play in **** weather of some kind!

Is Arlington really that far "out" though, when you consider the size of the city. It's got a train station in the car park, it's one street off of a highway for car access, big site to get restaurants, bars, parking, maybe even bung a hotel in there.

It's not that far out, no, as i said comparing to Boston or San Francisco it's not terrible. But I like the idea of a city center stadium, it's old fashioned but it just feels right to me. Selfishly (and I've only been to two games in soldier field but I recently have moved to Chicago and want to go more often) it will make going to a game a way bigger hassle from the south suburbs but I understand why they would want to move.

The only thing I suppose is as the Chicago Mayor says, they have a lease/contract for another 12 years so this whole thing could come to nothing.[/quote]

I didn't know about that, that probably does protect it for a while!

although the city is broke so I wonder if they could buy out of the lease. Would make a change from cities forking over money to these obscenely wealthy businesses just to keep them there while the city itself crumbles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

although the city is broke so I wonder if they could buy out of the lease. Would make a change from cities forking over money to these obscenely wealthy businesses just to keep them there while the city itself crumbles.

Let the bears pay the bear tax....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

peteeeed wrote: »

I think moving to a new stadium while keeping Ted and the McCaskeys around is the worst case scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Good news from training camp is Justin Fields is impressing people. Bad news is we have no offensive line. We were thin at tackle to begin with but with injuries (minor) Matt Nagy didn't even know who was going to play LT in practice today when asked at his presser this morning. We're f*cked unless Pace can sign someone. Russell Okung? Maybe they are waiting to see if anyone decent is cut from another team but can they afford to wait..

edit: The line today according to Kevin Fishbain

Bars, Whitehair, Mustipher, Hambright, Simmons

🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭davetherave

Do you remember that time when Cutler got sacked nine times in the first half? It would take a stark mad raving lunatic to send Fields out to get snaps with the situation the way it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,350 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So not in favour of sending him out under the big lights in LA on SNF on the opening weekend to get hit more times when a Frazier vs Ali fight then ?

That was mainly Mike Martz' fault to be fair. He kept calling 7 step drop plays. The Giants knew what was coming and blitzed like the 85 Bears.

• Advertisement

quite a few reports that mr fields was on fire today ...............just saying :)

Trying not to get too excited but it's hard. Every beat writer in Chicago knows a bad QB when they see one due to past experiences. Fields seems to be the complete opposite of anything they've seen before (since Cutler left anyway).

Dalton has been solid as well to be fair. Nagy said Fields will take over early in the 1Q on Saturday and play into the 2nd half. Looking forward to it.

Pace solving a problem and then causing a new one as always. The o line situation is unforgivable. He basically made a series of compounding gambles. If Tevan Jenkins injury isn't an issue, and if moving him to a new position works out even though he's a rookie, and if getting rid of leno and keeping Jimmy graham works out, and if no other problems arise on the o line, we'll be ok.

I'm all in favour of drafting Jenkins, it was a great move. But Jesus there's so much wishful thinking involved in what we are at now. I really don't want to see fields for a while, until all the ifs above start getting answered.

gamepass paid up, LETS DO THIS

the Bears game is on at 6pm here which means we all get to see it.

edit: which may not be a good thing.

Post edited by Itssoeasy on

looks like we got ourselves a very mobile QB , shaky start but he really went through the gears , quick & calm

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭Christy42

Today seems like a wake up call for him but he showed he could adjust pretty quickly. It was only preseason though so I would not be surprised if he starts off shaky in a real game as well. However I have no doubt he will be able to go through a few new gears then as well.

It's such a weird feeling to have a QB that not only every Bears fan is 100% behind but so many neutral fans/other sports people want to see succeed. I've never seen it over the past 20 years and it has probably never happened.

The NFL subreddit for example is full of non Bears fans that want to see him succeed. On twitter you have ex Bears like Taylor Gabriel and Cutty tweeting support. Pretty much every NFL/NCAA related handle too. Then LeBron and DWade, although the former is a Buckeye fan and the latter is a Bears fan so those make sense I suppose.

It's usually an equal mix of support, indifference and disdain for whoever is under center for us so this will take some getting used to.

I thought he was solid after a rocky start. Khalil Herbert carried his camp form into the first game and was impressive too.

The bears have signed OL Jason Peters formally of the eagles to a contract. 😐️

Teven Jenkins had back surgery today and although the Bears hope he'll be back mid-season I doubt it. I don't know why this team cannot be honest with fans/media about anything. It really makes you doubt everything anyone in the organisation says. How do they benefit from lying about the severity of a rookie's injury in pre-season?

For 2+ weeks it has been "back tightness, we're not concerned" even though literally everyone else has been concerned. Signing Jason Peters "has nothing to do with the status of Teven" Nagy said on Saturday. B*llocks to that.

The lies. The North Korean-esque secrecy about everything. Limiting what the beat writers can/cannot talk about as a condition for them being allowed to attend camp. Video clips from camp expressly forbidden. It's a joke.

• Advertisement

dalton 3 and done , 3 & done first 2 drives

trubisky first drive - TD

and the 2nd drive ...ffs

Not a bad return for Mitch to Chicago. A TD and over a hundred yards. And three more quarters to go. I don’t know how long he’ll get but it’s a nice return.

He's still Mitch. Doing well today with short completions against a soft D and plenty of PSM mixed in to help him. I don't have anything against him and wish him well but in 4 years he never learned how to read a defense and that isn't going to change, therefore he'll never be an NFL QB.

Bears fans booing.

3rd down & 17 and dalton throws a short lob pass thats goes about 2 yrds ......and the boos rings out . this is horrible

TD bills so 28-0 but as an eagles fan if I put that much weight into a pre season game score I’d have been in an awful mood since Friday morning.

great throw and catch by adams , much better

in preseason , booing is really bad , especially booing dalton taking the field for the last drive

• Advertisement

fields ability to run the ball and get 1st downs , he has to start

Wrecking Nall lives on for another year!

optimism is not high , on the road against a team that misfired with goff last year , good defence and now have stafford . opening weekend you never know . dalton has a good game in him , naggy calling the plays again which i was never a big fan of

As pessimistic as I've been going into a season, and that's saying something. Corners and o line are disasters by all accounts, and as you say, Nagy has decided the success from giving up play calling was too painful to his ego. It bodes very poorly.

A lot of excitement around fields obviously but I'd hate for him to 1) get buckled behind a terrible o line or 2) do just enough to save Nagy.

The main cause of optimism is that I'm always wrong.

No faith in Nagy as a playcaller. He doesn't deserve any.

If we score more than 10 points I'll be pleasantly surprised.

It's unbelievable how much Eddie Jackson has regressed. He was an all-pro then got paid and checked out. Refuses to tackle and been torched in coverage multiple times tonight.

Absolutely pathetic.

some things to like about that game but it came to a QB throwing 2 bombs to receivers who had the freedom of california and how do 2 bears not cream the guy who has caught the ball and is on the ground gets up and runs

dalton just doesn't excite , all short passes , the O line looked like he was going to crumble at anytime , running 4th downs in the 1st quarter ?? nagys calls suck , bringing in fields for 1 play at a time and one was a shovel pass?

we saw how good fields is with his TD . nagy should have let him in for the last plays of the 4th quarter

Montgomery was great , hope his hand is ok

#freejustin

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Not a Nagy fan but in the little bit of coverage I watched over the weekend it seemed like a lot of teams are now going for it on 4th down??? Is that the case or was I just thrown by a small sample size & the fact the red-zone coverage just jumps in for those moments???

• Advertisement

i think kansas city have had a lot of success with it , we went for 4th downs in the first quarter in field goal range at 7-0 down didn't make much sense to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭Christy42

Probably both. Offenses have a lot of advantages so taking yours off the field is always going to hurt you and there is little benefit to punting when just out of FG range while if you get it you have a new set of downs with good field position.

Even if field goal range people talk about taking the 3 as if it is automatic when it frequently isn't and there is a good chance of 4 points if you can make 2 yards.

Nagy went for it on 4th and 15 when we were in the middle of nowhere, in a game where or QB had not at all threatened to pass beyond ten yards. He is probably the worst play caller in the NFL. As soon as I saw them out for that play I knew it was going to fail.

And this in a game where he actually called it pretty well at times, stuck with the run for a change. I didn't like all the gimmicky bullshit when he brought in fields, but there were signs of improvement. Then the real Nagy came back, looking to be "unexpected" by doing things nobody expects because they're stupid.

Defense was a complete shambles and an indictment of pace for getting rid of Fuller (to keep graham who they threw to once). Meanwhile Jackson was a disgrace but still found time to chew out alec ogletree. Mack was mostly anonymous. If hicks hadn't been there God knows how it would have gone.

Plus points were Montgomery was fantastic, the o line was way way better than I expected given the circumstances (and the opposition, I mean they basically kept Donald quiet, credit where it's due), kmet looked good, Robinson continues to be strong. Best of all fields looks great but I really hope he doesn't end up having Nagy or pace who both need to be gone. It was grim viewing even if we expected to lose.

Oh another good thing, we weren't the worst in our awful division...

yeah the division is 0-1 :)

I would comfortably let Fields start next week again if Dalton isn't ready. Had a rough INT and 2 false starts but there was plenty to like.

Robinson should have had the game wrapped up on that 40 yard pass for a TD but it went straight through his hands. Mooney also had a ball hit his hands earlier in the game. His stat line and highlight reel looks A LOT better if those balls are caught.

Fair play to the defense for stepping up this week too. There was still one or two blown coverages and Eddie Jackson refused to tackle again but overall they did well. They got pressure up front.

• Advertisement

fields was very unlucky not to get his first passing TD got a crucial 1st down with a great bit of hussle right at the end

defense getting 3 picks in a row was incredible

20-3 up and bit of better game management and it would have been more comfortable

felt a bit for dalton , he was actually having a decent game but running is not what he does

one worry is the amount of unforced penalties , false starts and a very stupid 'taunting'

Post edited by peteeeed on

Dalton likely out a couple of weeks, so Fields almost certain to be starting for the foreseeable.

Agree with you peteed, I Feel bad for Dalton, he was having a good game Sunday.

Nagy is officially out of excuses now. He refuses/cannot adapt to different talent, playstyles or deficiencies in his players. His way or the highway and his way is complete b*llocks. This is Mike Martz v New York levels of stubbornness today.

that was f***king horrible , the O line and the calls sucked . felt so sorry for fields

9 sacks ........NINE

HORRIBLE

• Advertisement
Advertisement