Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Bout Dem Bears?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Zach Zaidman ✔@ZachZaidman
    Reporter to #Bears coach John Fox: What have you seen out of Jonathan Bostic? Fox: "Nothing." Bostic (back) has not practiced in offseason.

Not looking good for Bostic. Badly needs to practice to get better (and he needs to get a lot better).

This back injury has been ongoing for couple of seasons now. Really don't see him amounting to much now.

Yeah a real shame, I remember when he had that fantastic hit put in during a pre-season game (for which he was completely unfairly fined), and thinking this guy might just work out. Looking like another bust, and another hole to fill.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Anyone know when the Bears put their single game tickets on sale?

Website says mid-July but nothing more specific than that. Looking for tickets to the 49ers game in December!

http://www.chicagobears.com/tickets-and-stadium/single-game-tickets.html

Would I be better off just going ticket exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

This might be a useful read re going to Chicago (not sure how familiar you are with it).

Never been, hoped to do it for my 30th but our girls came along - my 40th it is so!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks, I'll have a read, never been before actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Training Camp!!!

Can't remember ever having this low expectations before. Probably not a bad thing. Floating around the net and all the forums are like morgues. Still can't wait for some football.

• Advertisement

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Training Camp!!!

Can't remember ever having this low expectations before. Probably not a bad thing. Floating around the net and all the forums are like morgues. Still can't wait for some football.
    Yeah low expectations are a good thing, maybe the notion that there's some quick fix that can be implemented that is standing between us and super bowls has been banished. And improving on last year, however we define it, can't be hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Yeah, seems to be all doom-and-gloom with most forecasters predicting the Bears finish bottom of the NFC North.

I'm a little more optimistic, just think you can't understate how bad the coaching and lack of discipline was last year. Personnel issues exist, particularly on the defensive side, but I think with the right attitude and cohesiveness, you can be competitive.

I was listening to some of the early reports from Zach Zaidman,

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/audio/670-the-score-interviews/zach-zaidman-on-the-mully-and-hanley-show/

seems like there's some kind of injury issue with Kevin White?

padraig_f wrote: »
    Yeah, seems to be all doom-and-gloom with most forecasters predicting the Bears finish bottom of the NFC North.

I'm a little more optimistic, just think you can't understate how bad the coaching and lack of discipline was last year. Personnel issues exist, particularly on the defensive side, but I think with the right attitude and cohesiveness, you can be competitive.

I was listening to some of the early reports from Zach Zaidman,

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/audio/670-the-score-interviews/zach-zaidman-on-the-mully-and-hanley-show/

seems like there's some kind of injury issue with Kevin White?

What I read was a shin injury but putting him on pup now is essentially to get him right for later on, rather than a real concern that he'll be able to play. Hopefully that's correct.

What I read was a shin injury but putting him on pup now is essentially to get him right for later on, rather than a real concern that he'll be able to play. Hopefully that's correct.

Yes - you can come off training PUP at any time - i.e he could come off tomorrow. Sound like they are being cautious.

It's still worrying that with a 6 week gap he isn't fit.

He is also raw as a player, given lack of collegiate experience so you'd be hoping he gets on the field asap.

Yes - you can come off training PUP at any time - i.e he could come off tomorrow. Sound like they are being cautious.

Cool. Yeah I heard he's a bit raw in terms of route running, so I guess will need the snaps.

• Advertisement

My favourite thing about training camp is possibly the photos, this looks like a well-organised warm-up:

CLQTK3pUwAAIAsH.jpg:large

via @DickersonESPN

Oh, so Willie Young is OLB:
    Willie Young faces steep learning curve at outside linebacker

Not really used to watching a 3-4 defense, so looking forward to that, even if it sounds like there may be some square pegs in round holes initially.

Post taken from one fo the halas hall regs. Interesting read.

Wilson really is the training camp king.

One-on-one pass rush vs. RBs, Matt Forte got crushed by Mason Foster. I mean absolutely blown up, and he wasn't happy about it. Was really happy to see that kind of pop out of Foster, keep an eye on him moving forward.

Shea McClellin had a couple of good rushes, used his speed/quickness to slip past a blocker and had another spin move that freed him right to the QB. Looking good, just wish I saw more aggression out of him. Wished him good luck as I was following the team out and toward the building -- seems like a genuinely nice guy.

Jaquizz Rogers looked fine in pass protection, Ka'Deem Carey stoned his guy so that was impressive to see.

Marquess Wilson is making sure that Gase takes notice of him. Cutler found him multiple times across the middle and hit him in stride, had another beautiful throw on a corner route where Wilson was covered but put it in a place where Wilson's outstreched hands were the only ones that would catch the ball (which they did for a TD). Don't sleep on him, will be our #4 at worst. He had a solid one-handed catch on an out route that Cutler overthrew.

Offense is looking pretty crisp, and the defense did a solid job in run defense (but not so much in coverage, I hope that isn't an issue that lingers).

Seems like the O is focusing on running the ball, heavy emphasis placed on it today. Gase sprinkled in a flea-flicker that the defense COMPLETELY bit on, Alshon was running wide open down field with nobody within 15-20 yards of him. Cutler, God damnit, overthrew him by about 5 yards much to the dismay of everyone in the stands. Speaking of Cutler, he was glued to Gase's hip any time he wasn't taking reps and they had more than their share of discussions on what seemed to be route concepts in various plays. I don't think he'll ever be an elite passer in terms of accuracy, which is unfortunate. His arm is clearly night-and-day above anyone else on our roster, especially Shane Carden who has zero chance of making our team/practice squad.

Martellus Bennett is going to have our front office by the short hairs next season... our TE depth is awful, and I mean AWFUL. Aside from Bennett and Miller, we have no other TE that can catch the ball. Blake Annen (#84) had 4 drops by my count, two of which were wide open. Zero chance this kid makes the 53, IMO. Lumbers as he runs his routes as well. Bennett looked smooth in the passing game, didn't drop anything, and more than held his own while blocking. I think he's primed to have a big season if he gets featured in this offense.

Pernell McPhee is going to have a big year. He's massive and very, very fluid for his size. Counted a handful of times that he got into the backfield and would have blown up runs if he so chose.

Was sitting by Greg Gabriel at the end of camp and a few of us were shooting the **** with him. He talked about how Phil Emery was telling him last season that the light was starting to come on for Cornelius Washington. Said the kid put on weight (which I mentioned previously) and that you could easily get him up to 300 lbs if you wanted. Thinks that he doesn't have very good football instincts, but that if he develops he could be a decent player. Mentioned that Jared Allen is going to be a de-facto defensive end in our defense. Anytime we are in nickel he said Allen will be at end and doing what he has been doing his entire career.

Starters at OLB were McPhee and Houston. Houston looked fluid out at LB, made a nice downhill stop of a RB and didn't seem to have any hesitation in his movements. If he stays healthy I think he can have a decent season.

Tackle is a huge problem this year. I’d put our guard tandem up with the best in the league but Mills is an atrocity (and is struggling in TC yet again) and Bushrod has a back problem that is persisting.

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Post taken from one fo the halas hall regs. Interesting read.

Good detail.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/bears/

Reports on every day of TC

Bit of reassuring news on the Kevin White thing:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/CHIBears/comments/3gcu6s/kevin_white_injury_information_from_personal/

Seems like a pretty good training camp apart from that. The two big free agent signings, McPhee and Eddie Royal have been reportedly going very well. Cutler supposedly going well too, and some cautious optimism that he's forming a good relationship with Adam Gase. This season is probably make-or-break for Cutler with the Bears, I'm rooting for him. He has the arm talent, and if we have to go looking for a new QB, it could put us back years.

Impression I get is training camp is a bit tougher, and there's more of an edge compared to previous years.

Also hearing Fox is a delegator on the training ground, which I like the sound of, giving authority to his assistant coaches. Bit of a contrast to Trestman, who apparently was more of a micro-manager. And the more I think about it, the more I think it's probably a bad idea for your head-coach to be also co-ordinator & play-caller.

I think the big problem is the oline. We've a turnstile a RT, Bushrod is aging and average on a good day at this stage. Long is very good but still not making massive holes in the run game. Slauson is a beast. We're average at centre. Overall we've no real depth at the position.

Cutler looks good every training camp as he's not being hit. Once he's hit his footwork goes to s'hit and he starts throwing off the back foot.

We aren't going anywhere with him.

There'll be large roster turnover before we are in a position to compete again. Therefore I'm really looking to the yonger players - Jones, Fuller & the draft picks of the last couple of years (but esp Pace's).

Game day! (sort of)

Not staying up, I'll watch a bit tomorrow morning. Interested to see how the front 7 goes. Didn't think they'd show anything at all ahead of Green Bay in week 1, but Brad Biggs was on the radio the other day, and thinks they'll have to show something just because they need the practice in a game situation, which seems a fair point. Also guys will be fighting for starting positions, with not much locked down. Heard positive noises about McLellin at ILB, will be interesting to see if that shows up.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Game day! (sort of)

Not staying up, I'll watch a bit tomorrow morning. Interested to see how the front 7 goes. Didn't think they'd show anything at all ahead of Green Bay in week 1, but Brad Biggs was on the radio the other day, and thinks they'll have to show something just because they need the practice in a game situation, which seems a fair point. Also guys will be fighting for starting positions, with not much locked down. Heard positive noises about McLellin at ILB, will be interesting to see if that shows up.

Meh I'm awake so I'll watch a while. At the very worst it'll put an end to the never ending "positive vibes coming out of camp" stuff you hear every year. Cutler hasn't thrown an int, and mcclellin is the new urlacher, so far. Today might tell another story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,180 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

https://twitter.com/Rich_Campbell/status/632585873087971329

Out the first 6 weeks of the season at least. Could miss the whole year.

So frustrating that we've been fed bullsh*t for weeks about this.

Oat23 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Rich_Campbell/status/632585873087971329

Out the first 6 weeks of the season at least. Could miss the whole year.

So frustrating that we've been fed bullsh*t for weeks about this.
    Yeah, it doesn't bode well for alshon's similarly "not serious, precautionary" walking boot, does it? This could be very ugly very quickly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Never realised how brutal the Bears' schedule is this year too. This could be a very bad year for you guys.

Never realised how brutal the Bears' schedule is this year too. This could be a very bad year for you guys.

It's alright, we're used to it.

The White news and that first Miami drive have my hopes at an all time low. Things not pretty.

I think the biggest reason to be depressed right now is Kyle fuller.

He's apparently looked distinctly average in training camp etc., with McManis looking the best CB which tells a lot. I'd hoped we d one young defensive piece to build on but his confidence appears shot and he seems lost after the tucker affect.

His play really fell off a cliff late last season. He looked potentially really good early even ignoring the interceptions and his college tape was super.

Hopefully he can turn it around slowly and get himself together.

I think the biggest reason to be depressed right now is Kyle fuller.

He's apparently looked distinctly average in training camp etc., with McManis looking the best CB which tells a lot. I'd hoped we d one young defensive piece to build on but his confidence appears shot and he seems lost after the tucker affect.

His play really fell off a cliff late last season. He looked potentially really good early even ignoring the interceptions and his college tape was super.

Hopefully he can turn it around slowly and get himself together.
    Yeah, he must be going badly, given that all you ever hear about anyone is how they're having an amazing camp, and how promising the whole thing looks etc. It's disappointing, after the first four games or so of his first season he was being touted as an early candidate for DROTY, by plenty even on this site who wouldn't be Bears fans at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Yeah, he must be going badly, given that all you ever hear about anyone is how they're having an amazing camp, and how promising the whole thing looks etc. It's disappointing, after the first four games or so of his first season he was being touted as an early candidate for DROTY, by plenty even on this site who wouldn't be Bears fans at all.

Stop - I really had him penned in as a stud - great pickup... I was hoping with the new defense - especially the front, if we managed to get more QB pressure it makes everyone else look better, hence Kyle would really stand out...

I'm going with the silent but deadly option for him...

Hoping the defensive performance improves from the starters tonight. Bit of an inauspicious start, allowing an 80-yard driver against the Dolphins. No need to panic after 1 quarter of pre-season football, but would like to see some improvements over the next 2 games. Good test tonight against Andrew Luck & company.

I liked what I saw on the offfensive side against the Dolphins. Just liked the variation....inside-zone running (Jacquizz Rodgers did well), bit of no-huddle, a shotgun play with an option to a run, some deep shots. It was great to see after the one-dimensional short-passing stuff we saw last season.

• Advertisement

My usual attitude to schedule is: it's virtually the same for everyone in the division, so don't complain. But on top of the NFC North's tough schedule, the NFC North itself is close to the toughest division in the NFL (now SF have self-destructed in the NFC West).

Plus, the schedule makers put the most important game of the season in week 1 (home vs. GB....thanks a lot guys!). At least if it was the road game, you could afford to lose it. So yeah it is a brutal schedule, but most people expect it to be a transition year, so maybe not a huge deal.

Also, the plus side of a tough schedule is you test yourself against the good teams, which may be useful to the Bears this year.

Advertisement