Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Bout Dem Bears?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,861 ✭✭✭Christy42

Probably both. Offenses have a lot of advantages so taking yours off the field is always going to hurt you and there is little benefit to punting when just out of FG range while if you get it you have a new set of downs with good field position.

Even if field goal range people talk about taking the 3 as if it is automatic when it frequently isn't and there is a good chance of 4 points if you can make 2 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Nagy went for it on 4th and 15 when we were in the middle of nowhere, in a game where or QB had not at all threatened to pass beyond ten yards. He is probably the worst play caller in the NFL. As soon as I saw them out for that play I knew it was going to fail.

And this in a game where he actually called it pretty well at times, stuck with the run for a change. I didn't like all the gimmicky bullshit when he brought in fields, but there were signs of improvement. Then the real Nagy came back, looking to be "unexpected" by doing things nobody expects because they're stupid.

Defense was a complete shambles and an indictment of pace for getting rid of Fuller (to keep graham who they threw to once). Meanwhile Jackson was a disgrace but still found time to chew out alec ogletree. Mack was mostly anonymous. If hicks hadn't been there God knows how it would have gone.

Plus points were Montgomery was fantastic, the o line was way way better than I expected given the circumstances (and the opposition, I mean they basically kept Donald quiet, credit where it's due), kmet looked good, Robinson continues to be strong. Best of all fields looks great but I really hope he doesn't end up having Nagy or pace who both need to be gone. It was grim viewing even if we expected to lose.

Oh another good thing, we weren't the worst in our awful division...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

yeah the division is 0-1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I would comfortably let Fields start next week again if Dalton isn't ready. Had a rough INT and 2 false starts but there was plenty to like.

Robinson should have had the game wrapped up on that 40 yard pass for a TD but it went straight through his hands. Mooney also had a ball hit his hands earlier in the game. His stat line and highlight reel looks A LOT better if those balls are caught.

Fair play to the defense for stepping up this week too. There was still one or two blown coverages and Eddie Jackson refused to tackle again but overall they did well. They got pressure up front.

• Advertisement

fields was very unlucky not to get his first passing TD got a crucial 1st down with a great bit of hussle right at the end

defense getting 3 picks in a row was incredible

20-3 up and bit of better game management and it would have been more comfortable

felt a bit for dalton , he was actually having a decent game but running is not what he does

one worry is the amount of unforced penalties , false starts and a very stupid 'taunting'

Post edited by peteeeed on

Dalton likely out a couple of weeks, so Fields almost certain to be starting for the foreseeable.

Agree with you peteed, I Feel bad for Dalton, he was having a good game Sunday.

Nagy is officially out of excuses now. He refuses/cannot adapt to different talent, playstyles or deficiencies in his players. His way or the highway and his way is complete b*llocks. This is Mike Martz v New York levels of stubbornness today.

that was f***king horrible , the O line and the calls sucked . felt so sorry for fields

9 sacks ........NINE

HORRIBLE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I didn’t watch the game in full but watching it on redzone and I felt sorry for Justin fields and bears fans(those on boards are sound heads) because that was embarrassing and Justin fields didn’t deserve that crap. And while I loved Jason peters as a eagle, he’s not what he once was and I wouldn’t want him protecting a franchise QB.

Have they stopped sacking him yet?

More than done with Nagy at this point. Olsen on the commentary is clearly a bear at heart and he was done with this ****. As he pointed out, at no stage did Nagy do anything to even try to deal with Garrett, just kept putting peters out there on his own to deal with him. Total ineptitude. Many years, many quarterbacks, many assistants and coordinators, at what stage do they gave the fact Nagy was the wrong guy and fire him.

Even more depressing is Desai had the D pulling up trees again (despite Jackson) and saving our blushes, and probably nagys job in the bargain. The browns started their rebuild after we did and from a worse position by far. So pace can **** off and all.

imagine the defence in the dressing room after 5 sacks against a really good offence and a really good QB

massive conference game next weekend , goff is there to be got at but unfortunately fields is probably not going to get any protection anytime soon

Purchase agreement for Arlington Park has been signed and will be announced today according to The Athletic.

Still don't believe anything will come of it, but as a long time Park District hater I would love to see the McCaskeys tell them to get stuffed and build a modern stadium in Arlington Heights. SF is easily the worst stadium in the league, and despite the Bears being pathetic at football for most of the past 30 years the team is still one of the biggest in the league and needs a better stadium. They should have done this years ago after the botched renovations.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/bears-sign-agreement-purchase-arlington-park-report?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Nagy has moved up a press conference to today. Speculation that he is either going to hand over playcalling or that he is benching Fields. I definitely hope it's the former, but if it isn't, then in the long term it's for the best if it's the latter. Nagy will destroy Fields if he is let.

Nah the speculation on Twitter is wide of the mark. Hoge & Jahns talked about it on their "emergency" stadium podcast earlier. The media requested his Thursday presser be moved to Wednesday going forward, but lots of people on Twitter think Nagy brought it forward to release some info.

He's talking now but QB situation hasn't changed and he refused to answer the question about playcalling.

Yup, this bullshit of dodging questions is getting seriously **** old. Don't worry Matt, we'll know in the opening three minutes whether you're play calling or not you absolute hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭davetherave

He'd make a great politician. Talking so much about so little.

• Advertisement

Nagy will have a tough time justifying going back to Dalton after today if he decides to do that. Yeah it's the Lions but Fields made some nice plays. He'll make mistakes too but let him learn on the job like most of the other rookie QBs are allowed to.

Lazor clearly called the plays today so that probably also contributed to the success. I don't think the offense plays that well, even against the Lions, if Nagy was calling them.

what a difference a week makes , fields was excellent , some great throws , it was just exciting to a QB go for big plays .

hope Montgomery is ok , he had another big game

Fields just named the starter going forward by Nagy. They've made the correct decision there at least. There's no benfit to starting Dalton.

when i looked at the fixture list the lions was one of the games i thought fields had a chance of starting . delighted his getting the starter position , its well deserved

Between that and the playcalling that's two climbdowns in just over a week from Nagy. I would think this indicates a growing sense of humility, but his refusal to just come out and say Lazor did the playcalls last week makes me think otherwise.

What I don't get is why he can't just do that: heap loads of credit on his OC, the same way he had such credit heaped on him when he was in Kansas. Can't tell if it's insecurity, that he knows his job is under threat, or arrogance, that he can't admit playcalling is not his strength. But either way it's a terrible look. You don't have to be everything: delegate the things you're not good at, if the team is winning, you'll still be credited with that fact.

Normally I'm not big on the psychoanalysis stuff but it does seem like it plays a huge role in his failings as a HC.

With Fields in and continuing to develop, with more improvement from the O line, and hopefully the D getting back to their level of a week earlier (they were OK Sunday but they were more lucky than good), I actually would give us a chance against the Raiders, they looked dodgy on Monday albeit against a better team than us.

But two things bothering me at the moment: firstly our tight ends have been very bad, Kmet has underperformed and I am largely unaware of Graham from one end of a game to the other. With Fields needing options under pressure, this makes his job way harder. And secondly, a related point: Robinson has not been up to scratch yet either. He has had a few good catches but he is supposed to be our WR1.

On the other side of the ball I'm having a great time watching Robert Quinn though, he's silenced a lot of us!

I pray that Pace does the right thing and trades away whoever he can for picks before the deadline but I'm not confident.

Pace has said he'll be "aggressive" at the deadline which means on all known form he intends trading AWAY picks to acquire more players.

fields scoring an incredible running TD last night with no protection . i thought it would spur the team on ........boy was i wrong , the defence was terrible

no confidence in the mgmt to do anything good

• Advertisement
Advertisement