Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote working - the future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ghoulfinger

Regretted post unable to delete

Regretted post unable to delete

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭CalisGirl

Not sure your point is clear. I'm sure if people were able to commute to a role pre-pandemic, they can physically commute to the role post-pandemic. The issue is should they commute at all and if so, how much.

Also, a bank won't give you a mortgage for a property that's not within commutting distance of your job unless you have a letter from the employer explicitly giving permission to WFH long-term so it's unlikely anyone has stuck themselves up a mountain.

As to hybrid working being an easy solution, I'd say it's more a pragmatic solution for a lot of people. Most office jobs only need face to face contact at most 3 days/week, so why not cut down on commuting, office space and emissions while allowing employees the flexibility desired.

The other day I heard somebody on the radio speak of how they had relocated to a remote area of Donegal, because of lifestyle, the children, “scenery” etc. Working remotely, and it was mentioned that he wouldn’t be in a position to do hybrid working if asked, eg one day a week in the capital. The discussion referred to people’s availability to work in the hybrid model, and how workable or not it is becoming. There was no mention of mortgage or anything, maybe he’s continuing to rent or maybe he’s living in a family home that maybe had been the summer home, who knows.

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out in a broader sense. Employers’ buildings and infrastructure will be under-utilised and there could be a lot of degenerating empty buildings in the cities. There’s broader implications re strategic planning, insurance, and awful lot for companies to consider for the future. Their decision making re facilitating WFH may be informed by such implications.

Post edited by ghoulfinger on

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out in a broader sense. Employers’ buildings and infrastructure will be under-utilised and there could be a lot of degenerating empty buildings in the cities. There’s broader implications re strategic planning, insurance, and awful lot for companies to consider for the future. Their decision making re facilitating WFH may be informed by such implications.

"Infrastructure will be under-utilsed". Last time I was on Public Transport in Dublin was in March 2020, and it was bursting at the seams. A few less people in the capital would do it some good while the capacity issues get improved. Looking at daft.ie this morning, in all of Dublin there are currently 635 properties for rent with a rent of 2000 or less. Thats ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Transport in the capital has always been grossly under-resourced. There ought to have been an underground metro in place in the capital at least by the time I started working. It’s more about the buildings where companies have located themselves and the money invested in them. Maybe some of that could be converted into housing, but I think an architect might have nightmares at this suggestion. The housing situation is farcical and tenants are being exploited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Some interesting reading in today's BBC article - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58574621

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭irelandrover

You have 2 scenarios:

WFO:

at 6pm you turn off your phone

when boss calls your home phone you tell him not to

you go meet your friends at 7

Wfh:

at 6pm you turn off your phone

when boss calls your home phone you tell him not to

you go meet your friends at 7

the only difference is that in WFH there is no chance your boss calls by your desk to ask you to do something.

I really don't see the difficulty here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭oceanman

judging by the amount of rush hour traffic on the roads now i would say few enough are still working from home..

Yes, I don’t understand the traffic situation. My office and most of the MNCs that I know are not in yet. Still a lot of people WFH. When they all go back the roads will be nightmarish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lots are now using private vehicles instead of public transport, due to disease fears.

I know if one company that still has the "no shared transport outside of your household " policy that they introduced last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Even before the pandemic I was all for hybrid working. It just suits me.

Makes no difference to the company. They aren't doing anything different, in terms, of communication, meetings, planning, project management. We are literally doing the exact same work, we always did just in a different location.

Yep, as I said before, when I was in the office I'd message a colleague on MS Teams or Slack or whatever even if they were 6 feet away. It's common courtesy. As you say, we're not doing anything differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,694 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The difference is when your home is your office your employer has the mindset as a lot will that if a tricky problem or question is requiring your assistance they already as part of their mindset... of your home = your workplace that they can attempt to contact you..getting the kids ready for bed, taxi just pulled up to take you to a gig say or other social event ..

when home is work it’s different, the lines have been blurred, you don’t get that with office work.

my personal phone I don’t want to have to turn off, mobile or house phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Why would you answer the phone to your boss as you are putting your kids to bed? Maybe for you it blurs the lines, for most people if they turned off the phone leaving the office, then they turn off their phone when they shut off their laptop and leave their home office.

If your boss now thinks your available 24 hours because you work from home, and you don't tell them that isn't true, then that's completely on you. My boss has my work number and no other way to contact me.

This is not an actual problem for @Strumms , its just something he made up to stir controversy, see here

Well its a forum. Its reason to exist is for discussion. It doesn't have to be from personal experience.

But if its complete nonsense, expect to be called out on it.

We've all been working from home for the past 18 months. Has this theoretical situation actually arisen for anyone?

It hasn't for me. If anything, the two bosses I've had while working from home, have been more flexible, not more rigid.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this to make sense of it but I can't.

If your boss tried to ring you at 9PM or 2AM why would it matter if you were working from home or in the office?

Why would you also give the company your working for your house phone number or your personal mobile phone number?

That is none of their business.

I don't have a house phone but if I did and if anyone got hold of my personal mobile number they would instantly be blocked.

I I'm on a on call rota where I get paid an extra 25% for the week and only have to do it one week every two months.

If the week doesn't suit I just swap with someone else .

Its just a job folks, stop taking it so seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,983 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

Not everyone is afforded a separate mobile phone for their work, even in the private sector. I can tell you as a public servant your private phone is the phone you are contacted by for your work but during agreed times and on agreed terms which the unions duly keep an eye on. Yes I have known it to happen for individual bosses to inappropriately intrude immensely into private lives, up to and including one manager turning up to spy on someone who was on certified sick leave and whose husband had to show the door.

Post edited by recode the site on

Every bully post gets reported. If personal bullying is the best way you can feel good about yourself, then your self-loathing is your own loss.

• Advertisement

How many chats like this are happening across Ireland these days. Quite a few I'd imagine, with a lot more to come

The more I see you post, the more it becomes clear to me you've 0 control over your work/life situation. I don't know if you've a fear of losing your job or what but you need to nip this way of thinking in the bud. Who the **** has a house phone? And what sort of company do you work for where your boss rings your personal phone?

Great cartoon and all.

In real life, how many people do you know who have been offered a new job in the last three months which has 100% work from home as the plan going forward?

I know a few actually.

Me and my wife for a start, 2 different companies.

As for everyone else, its none of my business.

I will say though, that there are a boatload of WFH roles out there

Granted there's likely to be some overlap between those sites, but the roles are there for anyone interested in WFH and there is a lot of variety in the levels and sectors too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Out of interest, how does that compare to the total number of office jobs that could be done wfh? It seems a minute number.

The boat has holes in it.

It took me 5 mins eyeballing the Jobs.ie list to see that a number which are flagged WFH also have "Work from home until current restrictions are lifted" in the comments. One is even a field service engineer which says that 60% of the time will be traveling or on site at clients premises.

Yup, there's a few like that there, but the majority are remote roles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

• Advertisement
Advertisement