Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remote working - the future?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A single one off test doesn't mean your broadband is good, for sure.

But in our senior managers eyes, a single bad measurement means "yours isn't good enough please work from the office".

I've been told that when the day comes, I'm expected to be pretty brutal about reporting failed transactions: people might get away with a one off failure once, but after that it's "please come in ".

There's a few fights coming, but permanent jobs are hard enough to get.

My own savings from not going to the office every day is significant.

• 100 euro monthly luas ticket no-longer needed
    • Between lunch in the subsidized canteen and the can of coke/bag of crisps you have in the afternoon(possibly just to take a break), conservatively is 5 euros a day. Multiplied by 20(4 working weeks in a month), equals another 100 euro.

So that alone is a 200 euro saving. Now, yes of course, I still need to have lunch every day, but I would struggle to spend 5 euros a day on Lunch at home. It would be closer to 2 euro. A six pack of pepsi from SuperValu, 4.50, so 75 cent each, versus 1.50 from the vending machine in work. So, 2.75 x 20. equals 55 euros a month on lunch. With these rough figures, I am 145 up. The extra heating, lighting and electricity, would make a very small dent in that saving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

You have hit on an important point that a lot of people i talk to seem to miss. Supply and demand dictates the market.

plus you can get tax relief on WFH expenses. Wonder how many people know that they can claim this, or whether employers have told them.

From revenue: Revenue's rate for the cost of running a home office is 10% of the cost of electricity and heating. This means that you can claim 10% of the total amount of allowable utility bills against your taxes. You can also claim 30% of broadband costs for the tax year 2020.

"running a home office" includes days that you are WFH (but does not include if you work on a holiday or any time that you work at home outside of hours after being in the office)

Everybody should be claiming this for the 2020 tax year, but I bet that most dont know about it

Is anyone concerned that those who return to office work might be more likely to be promoted as they are there daily with their managers/employers while those wfh are off site/out of mind?

There seems to be an expectation that as there are quite a lot of jobs available, those companies which refuse wfh will lose employees to those that do, but that will likely taper off after a while as a state of equilibrium is reached, and jobs that require office attendance will eventually employ those that are prepared to attend as it will be a condition of employment. Given that most employment contracts have a stated place of work, if employers decide to reinstate office attendance, as Leo said, there may not be a lot of negotiating to be done, unless of course the employee has some skills which are not replaceable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Selenophile

A colleague crunched some numbers and it turned out to be really small money, most of the people wouldn't even bother to workout their own expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,613 ✭✭✭caviardreams

It also doesn't include weekends, annual leave etc., so if your heating bill is 1,000 per year - the amount you can claim tax relief on is approx 1000*.1*(230/365)=63 - so at 20% tax relief you would get back €12.60 for the year. Not exactly great.

Sure, on a daily basis it looks small. But over a year it’s money I’d rather have than not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

How does the broadband speed cause the "transactions" to fail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Wondering the same thing.

One thing I'd love to know is how the levels of sick leave in employers that had their staff remote working compare to when they weren't. I would imagine that with almost nobody in the offices there were less infections and absences from everyday illnesses. However, it would be nice to know what way things actually panned out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭C3PO

But most employers are not looking at a full remote solution but rather a hybrid model. We are currently rolling out a solution which entails a high end laptop, docking stations, a pair or screens, keyboard, mouse and TP link for home use. This will be replicated in the office (excluding the laptop obviously). Multiplied by 350 - this is a major investment! And that is before possibly having to spend a further €1000 on a chair and desk. We have also been advised that we need to have an ergonomic assessment carried out for each employee that will be working from home even on a hybrid basis!

A break in connectivity at the moment when a key step is being carried out puts the client and server in inconsistent states. If inconsistency is detected, the default is to fail.

Software that was designed for networks that may have intermittent breaks would deal with this. Ours wasn't.

(I'm simplifying for anonymity purposes. But it's an issue I've heard about from several colleagues in other companies too. Some people's home broadband is shyte.)

A break in connectivity? In what way? What kind of connection is the application using? Which end notices the inconsistency?

Your colleagues work in other companies? So your kind of an IT Support company for other companies?

Would love to know more details but understand the desire for anonymity!

Probably some money to be made in fixing this rather than paying people to use a crap system and other people to check there broadband haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

what happens when your due to finish at 6 PM. But there is an issue in your department and your boss wants to troubleshoot and call you back at 7pm for an opinion.... you are on your way to meet friends to go see a band, after 6pm, your finish time you need to shower, cook dinner and change.. in an hour ie. in reality you have no time to afford him... his / her attitude is... “ home is now your workplace, you have a work PC, full connectivity to the systems soooo, ohhh being ‘flexible’ you should be accommodating....”

dont blur the lines :) because plenty of employers once they have an ‘in’ to your home and home life....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

And issues like ergonomic safety, confidentiality in shared accommodation, costs of heating, lighting broadband.

IT support costs won't change significantly - maybe some minor extra costs for remote access infrastructure and courier costs.

Office space costs dwarf all the other costs, with direct space costs in the region of €2k-€3k per employee per annum. So if the employer can halve their space requirements, there are very substantial savings to be made there. Employees should be making sure they get the fair slice of those savings.

Why should there be any dent in that saving though? Why should you pay for light, heating and broadband when your employer is making savings on office costs?

That's a bit like your doctor putting you on blood pressure medication because they got one bad BP reading. There's a reason why docs do a 24 hour BP monitor before making any big decisions.

• Advertisement

Then the boss contacts someone else on the team to look at the issue. I assume in your scenario it is an emergency. The likelihood of the entire team being totally unavailable at exactly the same time is slim.

Then in case it happens again, there's every chance now you are available and you can step up to the mark.

The employer is saving you hours every week from not having to commute. What's a one-off emergency once or twice a year?

Or are you one of these people who would happily spend hours commuting but spit on your boss because it is 6.01 as you head for the door? That's just cutting of your nose to spite your face. Thankfully employees like you are rare, particularly in the private sector.

No he isn’t ‘saving’ anyone hours or a commute. The no commuting is simply a byproduct of wfh. It’s not done with the view of saving people time and petrol money. You’d be deluded to believe it was.

im glad you feel like you can speak for the entirety of the private sector.

i wouldn’t attempt to but every colleague I had on leaving the office work mobiles were turned off and if an employer had started calling my home number , which never happened regardless but it would have ended up with a little more formal feedback / action then... “I’d rather you didn’t”.

being contactable or not is in your own power, whether working at home or working in an office. Genuinely don’t see the problem here

so many people here trying to kill hybrid working. I don’t understand it. Jealousy perhaps? Wanting to drag people down? If flexibility works for people what’s the problem. It was a standard for many employers before the pandemic. Post pandemic it will have expanded. And that is only a good thing

in your own power ? what kind of mental gymnastics is that ? If your employer has your home phone number / personal mobile, you are contactable... the only means of becoming non contactable is to turn both phones off which isn’t practical... they would be both required here and indeed by everyone for family and friends, family life and enjoyment of personal / social life.

its good for employers, bad for employees... my phone rings I answer it, I don’t want to of an evening have to start screening calls and looking at caller ID.

if you WFH those lines are blurred, your employer has an ‘in’ to your home life as it now doubles as a workplace. You’ve knocked down the wall...almost literally.

you step out to do some shopping, is your boss expecting your OH or kids to take a message? :)

Depends on the company. Our work calls are done via online work systems. Not our personal phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I doubt anyone would want to work from home without those things.

My employer requires (not during the pandemic) that if you have children you have childcare for those who work fully or mostly from home. I don't think any of that is a big ask.

my phone rings I answer it, I don’t want to of an evening have to start screening calls and looking at caller ID.

Honestly, this sounds like a "you" problem. The way I see it, you have options, you are just choosing the worst one open to you

1. Look at the screen on your phone, see its the boss, don't answer. Problem solved
    2. Discuss getting on-call rates if your boss expects you to be on-call. A mate of mine did this, they declined, he never got a single call after 5pm after that. Problem solved. Alternatively, they agree on-call rates, and you get paid for each call you answer.
    3. Have an open discussion with your boss about work/life balance. Once you clock out, thats it until the next morning. Problem solved
    4. Find another job. Problem solved
    5. Keep answering the phone every time the boss calls, be pissed off about it, complain on an internet forum about it, make out like its a problem for everyone who does WFH (its not) and keep banging that drum....while taking those calls of course

There are solutions available to you that will solve this problem you seem to be having with your boss, its just a matter of standing up for yourself.

I should also note, that while you seem obsessed with making this a WFH issue, its not, except in your mind. This could be an issue for anyone working anywhere and I would still point out the same options above

I’m sorry, this is a problem of your own making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

Ops manager held a round table today to inform us WFH is there to stay until Mid January but new hires will be in the office from mid September.

I'm guessing they are trying to get as many new hires trained in the office as possible because if they put us back in full time there will be an exodus.

It’s not a ‘me’ problem whatever mental gymnastics made you believe that haha.. :) I don’t have the problem now and I’ll ensure that remains the case.. let google be your friend there are multiple conversations out there that people have noted from bosses / employers monitoring time away from PC’s via software, contacting you via home phone and connecting with a family member, the guy in question was on a scheduled work call but the boss forgot... nahhh grim dot com

I would suggest a small minority that failed to set boundaries

When you end up having to set boundaries for an employer, nahhhh

Well mate, I just turn off my phone. Button is top right

Really ? And become uncontactable for your friends, loved ones etc ?yeah not practical in the real world.

I have a work phone. But that irrelevant. You’re just full of excuses. I’m done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

hate to ask but why is that only being done now. We have all that since last year - but Im public sector. No need for desk though. Chairs were simply taken from the office if required. Safety assessment done for remote working at home aswell. Only issue we experienced was the delays in getting laptops and IT equipment at the time - hopefully this has improved.

You only have a work phone if you are provided with one.. if it’s irrelevant why mention that fact ? :)

how am I full of excuses ? I haven’t tried to excuse anything, simply offering an opinion on the topic at hand :) some mind gymnastics again, done ? Quite ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Half that for a couple both WFH.

I will get about €30 back of the taxman myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I have 2 sim cards in my phone.

One is work. That switches off automatically at knock off time.

Strumms logic - "Yeah well what about carrier pigeons, pfft gymnast"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

You can actually set your phone to only accept calls from close contacts.

Really, you're making a mountain out of a molehill here. There are so many proactive ways of dealing with any of the issues.

I’m not sure I really understand your question! Why did our company take their time when considering a €1m+ plus IT investment?

yes shouldnt it have been done last year - what have staff been using if WFH for the majority of last year. The priority for us (and yes Im public sector) was everyone had the appropriate IT equipment to work from home. It took some time due to the impact of covid on delivery and the huge demand but yeah everyone was provided with apppriate IT equipment first and safety assessments were done aswelll - for everyone working from home. I work in third level and we also provided IT equipment for our students where necessary. All the equipment you mentioned we received last year except desks

Waiting until Sept 2021 to invest in equipment for staff is a little more than taking your time though.

I’m delighted that the 3rd level sector is so well funded! In the private sector there are very few companies that can spend €1m+ that has not been budgeted! And I can assure you that most companies have got by as best they can for the last 18 months!

• Advertisement

yeah it wasnt by choice trust me. Education is an essential service (which it is) and we werent permitted to return to campuses for months on end - again not by choice. Students also didnt have a choice on how they attended college. We (along with public and private companies) deal with highly confidential and sensitive material and educational delivery never stopped.

Im sure you have got by as best you can - I definitely have sympathy for anyone who struggled WFH without the proper IT equipment which should have been supplied last year by their company. I appreciate the costs but security and health and safety are also significant issues. It sounds like your company is only doing health and safety assessments now - but I could be wrong.

Anyway best of luck procuring it - it does take a while to come through is our own experience but again that was last year during peak demand. Being provided that equipment is hugely beneficial to staff.

I've been working from home for the past 18 months. I've not had any of the issues being theorized here. If anything, the opposite occurred.

I think some people on this thread work in really lousy workplaces, and they are projecting that onto this thread.

All this talk of a home phone etc, who has one in 2021? Anyway...I'd agree with the previous poster Denartha, seems to be a lot of really lousy employers out there! Whether anyone here likes it or not, hybrid/remote is not the future. It's here and it's staying so adapt, make it work for you and if your employer isn't playing ball, then do something about it.

PS: Strumms, what planet are you on? Like, seriously?

There are plenty of poor employers in the country.

There are also vastly different types if workplaces and jobs: some workers can be very independent and work on assigned tasks at hours which suit them. While others need to do serious amounts of collaboration, serve customers who need them to be available at fixed times, and have managers who got their personal phone numbers during the hiring process and are happy to use them.

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

Google "Code of Practice on the Right to Disconnect" which came into force on 1st April 2021.

That should answer all your questions.

I do loads of collaboration in my job. I'd say about 60-70% is collaborative. It has never been easier to collaborate remotely, whether that person is 6 feet away or 6000 miles away. All my bosses in the past have had my mobile number. I've been called out of hours once in the past 10 years - and that was to tell me I was getting on a flight the next day.

Yes, there are bad bosses out there, and bad employers, So move to a good employer.

• Advertisement

Had an interview for a job today. I asked about the work from home policy. The interviewer replied, "Well we've been WFH since last March, and will continue to do so until after Christmas anyway, after that, we might adopt a one day a week or fortnight in the office, but, personally, I think if you want to stay working from home you can. I've got a programmer in Bulgaria I've never met in the flesh, but he keeps turning out great code so I've no reason to complain".

He went on "Yesterday afternoon, it was glorious, so I rang up my boss and said, it's gorgeous out there, winter will soon fall upon us, Can I take the afternoon off and go enjoy the sunshine. He replied, Yep! Just bring your phone."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I had to have a conversation with some HR bot about our return to office and asked for the concrete benefits of being in an office, I was told knowledge transfer, team building and easier to get things done in by approaching people in person (I pointed out that HR have a policy that ad hoc desk meetings and desk ambushes are not encouraged lol)

The other thing is that over the pandemic our depts resources are now expanded out to contractors in the US, India and europe so I asked if they were being shipped into the office every week. Apparently our dept are the exception but they still want us in the office lol

Most professional services firms in Ireland, including KPMG, were doing this already, but without the formality and consistency across teams that will now be introduced. What had become accepted informal practice over many years will now be written into policy. It's the public sector, or smaller domestic forms with poor management and HR structures that will be left behind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

I started a new job recently and the online induction and KT I got is being used as an example of why WFH (in our teams case) is better than being in office. The ability for other team members to share their screen while on a call was how the majority of the KT went, had we been in the office it would have been more difficult, cannot stand over someone's shoulder and being on a teams call with multiple people in the same room is much more distracting (hear them in the office and through the phone at the same time).

• Advertisement
Advertisement