Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart Tariff Unit Rates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

and for others, they didn't have a choice, ESB just came out and changed it when the old meter started running backwards due to solar pv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

For anyone looking to switch Bordgais lowered their elec only rate, used to be 36% at the start of August when I joined and feckers won't change me to 40% 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Spotted that yesterday - Will be signing up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That puts them at the top of my list also. They've edged out Electric Ireland now.

Im a rural nightsaver user so the top 3 for me right now are:

Bord Gais

16.02/7.92

SC: 337.39

Electric Ireland

16.32/8.06

SC: 324.79

Energia

17.34/8.32

SC: 329.94

EDIT: These are not smart tariffs so I suppose shouldnt be in this thread! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

It's a real shame the Smart Tarriffs are so uncompetitive. 1. It's better for the grid to use electricity at night 2. It's better for the customer to save with night rate.

I just don't get it. The normal day/night rates are quiet good.

I'd gladly sign up to a Smart Meter contract at say 16c Day 17C peak 8c Night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I think the real reason is that someone has to pay for all these new meters to be installed and indirectly that's Joe Public as per usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I think they do belong in this thread.

Even just to highlight the ripoff prices of smart meter tariffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

average cost per installation is just €100.

The savings are

Estimated reduced energy use due to consumer knowing usage times and loads - 5%

No physical meter readings required - saving €15/year

No more estimated bills and surprises.

Customer who have the various apps that are becoming available can closely monitor usage and change habits is necessary

Customers can gain from better off peak rates - this will have higher peak rates to push to to use in the off peak / free times

Customers can gain form having the most appropriate plan based on real time usage.

There was a comprehensive study in the UK and it said that the savings to both consumer and supplier means the costs of the meter installations are had within 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

There wont be any savings to the customer on the current ripoff smart meter tariffs.

Id like to see one that compares to the costs posted by KCross above.

And to the points above.

"Estimated reduced energy use due to consumer knowing usage times and loads - 5%"

Its making it more complicated for the user. What could be easier to know than the current daytime, nighttime times?

"No physical meter readings required - saving €15/year"

Fair enough, but I think the average smart meter bill is going to increase by more than that even in each month.

"No more estimated bills and surprises."

I think people who switched to smart metering are cuyrrently getting a very big surprise on their bills. How much they have suddenly increased by.

"Customer who have the various apps that are becoming available can closely monitor usage and change habits is necessary"

Who is paying for the development and maintenance of these apps? The customer.

"Customers can gain from better off peak rates - this will have higher peak rates to push to to use in the off peak / free times"

Again. What could be easier than the current day/night times and why are they not available on smart meters. Im sure they will be in time - at a higher price.

"Customers can gain form having the most appropriate plan based on real time usage."

Not really. But the provider will gain from having the most obscure billing system.

"There was a comprehensive study in the UK and it said that the savings to both consumer and supplier means the costs of the meter installations are had within 2 years."

You forget. This is Ireland. Im willing to bet my house that smart metering will not result in reduced electricity bills for the customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,440 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Some might be interested in this post on the availability (or more specifically, the unavailability) of 30 minute usage data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The megacorps using automation to screw the ordinary punter as usual. Send all the meter-readers home, pocket their wages for themselves & spend the rest of their days sunning themselves on a beach in the Carribean

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭pummice

Thats true, but who wants to shower and look at TV in the middle of the night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Not everything can moved to night rate but things like dishwashers, laundry and immersion can. And if you have an EV it's a no-brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No way I'm leaving appliances running at night while I'm asleep. Apart from the fire risk, living in a smallish bungalow and being a light sleeper, it'd wake me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭Cilar

Makes no sense to move to smart plans - day/nights plans are cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭jeffk

Have the Electric Ireland meter in a while (why stand in the way of progress, plus my father keeps moaning its sky high and using estimated as excuse) and just got the activation email

Im guessing Home Electric+ 24 hours is basically the same as what I am now?

Elderly parents and then the brother hardly leaves so not much use in trying to be clever with night plans etc

Post edited by jeffk on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

I would love to know the reasoning behind the smart meter rates being so high. The companies obviously don't want it to be successful otherwise they would have priced it in such a way to make it attractive.

There is zero incentive to select a smart tariff compared to standard rates(from Bord Gais).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,561 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is not a suppliers project, its a ESB-Networks project, as they still read the meters

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭paulbok

I would love to see the statistics as to how often appliances go on fire in Ireland and of those that do, what time it occurs and are they maintained correctly, esp with driers . Not knocking your fears, but I would suspect it is very low.

I do get the noise factor entirely and not every appliance can be scheduled for night time running so you would have to be still up at 11pm (or whatever time is switches over) to physically start them. Never mind a 4am off-off peak rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, that comment about "I'd never leave on stuff at night due to fires" sparked my interest back then as I do it all the time to utilize the night rate. To be fair, both my washing machine and dish washer have a "Delay" , and i set that so that it fires off at 11pm (in winter) and I'm usually up until 1am anyway, so with 2 hrs to run ....the washing machine/disk wash has mostly finished it's cycle before I go to sleep anyway. Tumble dryer I tend to not use at night rate.

Apparently when I looked into it, fires do happen. But to me, it's like knowing that people get killed walking across the street, doesn't stop me from walking across the street. Same thing here. People of course will have different personal risk/reward equations, but if your appliances are relatively new and haven't been mistreated, I'd say you are safe enough. That's not to say that your "wrong" to not use stuff, only that for me the risk is so low that it doesn't concern me. Everyone should do your own evaluation :-)

Ironically one of the top appliances which catches fires a lot is fridges. Yup fridges. The compressor at the back generates heat and they do catch fire. In context, if your worried about a fire you should unplug your fridge. Since most people don't do that.....perhaps we are overtly cautious here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Plug everything out at night, dishwasher, fridge, TV, freezer, kettle, microwave, bedside alarm etc, in fact you should do so whenever you are not in the house too, don't leave any chargers of any description on unattended because those batteries explode.

If you have PV better pull the Fireman switch whenever you are not in the house or decide to go for a nap during sunlight hours.

There are moving vehicles on the road now, be careful of them, never leave a footpath, if you do need to cross the road then immediately return to your house and turn back on electrical devices, but only if you're in that room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭jeffk

Is anyone else getting We cannot display your Insights at the moment. Please try again later. message in all of the my electric Ireland page?

Curious if even one person has found a Smart tariff which has a decent night rate and "peak" rate?

Decent would mean better than 24 hr standard tariff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭beachhead

My understanding from ESB networks is that if I opt for a Smart Plan I cannot revert back to a Standard Plan.It is not possible.I am still trying to out what the so called smart plans actually are.The ESB do not reply and no one here seems to know either apart smarty replies.

Not sure what exactly your question here here beachhead? Smart meters are well explained here

Smart Metering (sseairtricity.com)

and on all the other providers websites. The rates that you pay are also readily available on the sites , for example.....

Compare our plans | Bord Gáis Energy (bordgaisenergy.ie)

Our tariffs (sseairtricity.com)

but bonkers.ie is the way to check (easily) across providers.

Ultimately, people have checked all of them. The smart meter tariffis at the moment are an oxymoron. Anyone who swaps to them will (invariably) end up having an increased bill - hence why they aren't that "smart".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭beachhead

I am with Electric Ireland.Not SSE or Bord Gais.Therefore I want info from the horses' mouth i.e.Electric Ireland.All I can find on EI site are references to how good they are but no facts.I would not trust bonkers.ie for up to date info.I want a reply from EI that I can quote back to them. But,thanks I'll look at SSE and BG details

Well, I only gave you those because I didn't know who you were with, but it's all up there somewhere on the web.....You just have to search man.

Electric Ireland: Compare Electricity & Gas Rates (selectra.ie)

Compared that to the day/night......you'll lose money (assuming your on day/night)

• Advertisement

Those are insane prices. Switched to EI yesterday for day/night rates and they are 16/08c give or take a fraction of a cent.

Not just there's no incentive at all to change, it massively punative to go on those rates.

Yup. And that's why people are posting smart assed replies. There simply isn't (as far as I'm aware) any provider out there who has a half decent smart tariff which is worth considering. Why would anyone willingly increase your leccie bill? That's not smart.....excuse the pun

Pretty sure it's deliberate though as I mentioned previously in the thread. If there was a provider out there offering a good deal which requires a smart meter, then you'd have Joe Duffy on day-time TV telling everyone to "go get one" and save a tenner a month. You can imagine the fiasco of the the old age pensioners out there writing in on how they've been waiting months to get one. Since ESB networks have some 2.4 million homes to have smart meters fitted before 2024, I reckon they have deliberately done this with the electric providers to curb demand.

They could offer the same day/night rates as the old meters and it wouldn't impact like that.

But you are right, there has to be a reason they are making the rates so bad. Unless they simply reckon enough people will blindly sign up without realising and cream the easy profits.

I haven't done this myself (as it's not come my way yet) but I believe that you can remain on your existing day/night tarrif when you get in a smart meter. You don't have to immediately swap over to a smart tarrif because you have a smart meter. Naturally the meter itself can slice the raw data into a day/night tarffit just as easily as another time slice. But yeah, if they offer you to move to a smart tarrif when installing - unless something changes, decline. Stick with your day/night tariff as long as you can.

Ultimately (and I could be wrong) once the market has been saturated with meters, I suspect both ESB networks along with the providers to start offering competitive rates to move. With smart meters, they can create fiscal imperatives to shift loads to say 2am and that helps them. In their last annual report they reckoned smart meters would reduce the high peak loads by 4%, and that could mean less power stations they have to build, better use of renewables at nighttime, etc

They ain't stupid - they KNOW that people won't swap to smart tarrifs en masse if it's more expensive. There's an angle there.....in the short term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Has anyone contacted their politicians about this, namely the greens? I was going to pen something today because of how absurd it is but time got away from me so I thought I'd check whether anyone had some text I could copy in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 fluffykre

I know its a bit off topic however we are going that direction on this thread as we are talking day/night meters. If someone has not accepted the smart meter yet would it make sense to switch to to a standard day/night meter. I just ran my usage through bonkers and there only 2 cent in the different between the EI 24 rate and day rate on day/night meter.

2 cent extra during the day and discount night sounds like a good deal if not comparable to 24 hour over the long run. I have solar installed so only consume arounf 1500 kWh a year.

• Advertisement

Don't forget though, that it's not just the unit price to consider.. Your standing charge is higher (a good bit) on day/night rate. I think I worked it out and if you are doing approx 30% of your load at night time, it's definitely worthwhile. I reckon I was saving €20-30 quid every 2 months by being on a day/night over standard. If you don't shift your loads though.....it's more expensive.

You may already know this, but if not most washing machines and dishwashers have a "Delay" function, so while it might be say 7pm I'd load up the machine and delay the start for 4 hrs and it would kick off at 11pm when the night rate comes in (in Winter) and 1/2 price. Easy-peasy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭irishchris

Jeez they sound high day night rates but I suppose that is the way all rates are going at the minute. I'm on the smart plan with bord gais and paying 5c less than that for day rate but 2c more for night rate but they do add in Sunday free Electricity with that too. If on day night shop around as smart plans getting terrible press but that electric Ireland one including higher standing charge too seems shocking!

But with the EI bill its nice seeing -€210. €210 credit dose help. Even the low usage charge doesn't feel so bad. That being said I haven't got my first bill yet. Time will tell.

Im not on a smart meter, day/night.

No you are incorrect. Smart meters are currently unable to support a day/night tarrif This is not a limitation of the meters themselves but ESB Networks not supporting it.

True but at those rates you wouldn't be long flying through it. I was tempted by their 300 EUR switching smart plan they had over summer as with their night rate at 11c and partial night at only 6c my idea was to charge up batteries in that and use during the day. In end went with the bord gais deal as Sundays are busiest in this house at minute and charge up for Sunday night/Monday half day with the free part whilst getting all heavy load washing etc done then too.

• Advertisement

Good to know - as I said, it's not come my way yet so that was only what I believed. Good to know the story. Only thing I knew for sure, is once you move off, you can't move back.

Interesting.....I wonder legally though where would that would stand? I mean, for the sake of argument say you have a 12 month contract with provider "x" to supply leccie at Day/night rates, then they come along and swap out the meter and no longer give you that rate.... Not that I'm planning on going off to court or anything, but just curious.

If you consent to the swapping of the meter you lose the day/night rate. They can offer to switch you back to the normal 24 hour rate but that's about it. I think the rate you get is tied to whether you have a D/N meter or not and contract has wording to include that possibility.

Watch out for the T&Cs on the free Sunday, fair usage and all that shxte

Yep cheers, found that out after signing up that it's restricted to 100kwh a month so essentially 25kwh each Sunday. Fine for me as no ev and max I have been able to push it to do far is 23kwh last Sunday but for someone with an ev planning to charge it would be of no use I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

they can support it, they log in 1/2 blocks which are timestamped and dated , this gets uploaded to the utility who can bill in ant TOUS tariff they want.

what they don't have is an output for older storage heaters.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

They can technically support it, but they don't support the traditional day night tariffs only the "smart" tariffs and the 24 hr one. Eg you can't get Energia's ev tariff on a smart meter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Not that they support it, they just don’t offer that as a product.

Yes I actually phoned them and asked wtf do you mean you can't do day/night on smart meter you have all the data there. They mumbled some incoherent reason why they can't (i.e. they won't) and said smart tariffs only blah blah blah and they even told me to avoid them which is laughable tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Smart meter due to be installed shortly, thought I was being stupid looking at the smart plans and thinking they will cost a lot more money

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

I had a smart meter installed right at the start of their rollout - didn’t ask for it just coincidence but didn’t decline either - when renewing utilities this year I wanted a day/night tariff but couldn’t get one…

• Advertisement
Advertisement