Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smart Tariff Unit Rates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

and for others, they didn't have a choice, ESB just came out and changed it when the old meter started running backwards due to solar pv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

For anyone looking to switch Bordgais lowered their elec only rate, used to be 36% at the start of August when I joined and feckers won't change me to 40% 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Spotted that yesterday - Will be signing up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That puts them at the top of my list also. They've edged out Electric Ireland now.

Im a rural nightsaver user so the top 3 for me right now are:

Bord Gais

16.02/7.92

SC: 337.39

Electric Ireland

16.32/8.06

SC: 324.79

Energia

17.34/8.32

SC: 329.94

EDIT: These are not smart tariffs so I suppose shouldnt be in this thread! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

It's a real shame the Smart Tarriffs are so uncompetitive. 1. It's better for the grid to use electricity at night 2. It's better for the customer to save with night rate.

I just don't get it. The normal day/night rates are quiet good.

I'd gladly sign up to a Smart Meter contract at say 16c Day 17C peak 8c Night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I think the real reason is that someone has to pay for all these new meters to be installed and indirectly that's Joe Public as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I think they do belong in this thread.

Even just to highlight the ripoff prices of smart meter tariffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

average cost per installation is just €100.

The savings are

Estimated reduced energy use due to consumer knowing usage times and loads - 5%

No physical meter readings required - saving €15/year

No more estimated bills and surprises.

Customer who have the various apps that are becoming available can closely monitor usage and change habits is necessary

Customers can gain from better off peak rates - this will have higher peak rates to push to to use in the off peak / free times

Customers can gain form having the most appropriate plan based on real time usage.

There was a comprehensive study in the UK and it said that the savings to both consumer and supplier means the costs of the meter installations are had within 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

There wont be any savings to the customer on the current ripoff smart meter tariffs.

Id like to see one that compares to the costs posted by KCross above.

And to the points above.

"Estimated reduced energy use due to consumer knowing usage times and loads - 5%"

Its making it more complicated for the user. What could be easier to know than the current daytime, nighttime times?

"No physical meter readings required - saving €15/year"

Fair enough, but I think the average smart meter bill is going to increase by more than that even in each month.

"No more estimated bills and surprises."

I think people who switched to smart metering are cuyrrently getting a very big surprise on their bills. How much they have suddenly increased by.

"Customer who have the various apps that are becoming available can closely monitor usage and change habits is necessary"

Who is paying for the development and maintenance of these apps? The customer.

"Customers can gain from better off peak rates - this will have higher peak rates to push to to use in the off peak / free times"

Again. What could be easier than the current day/night times and why are they not available on smart meters. Im sure they will be in time - at a higher price.

"Customers can gain form having the most appropriate plan based on real time usage."

Not really. But the provider will gain from having the most obscure billing system.

"There was a comprehensive study in the UK and it said that the savings to both consumer and supplier means the costs of the meter installations are had within 2 years."

You forget. This is Ireland. Im willing to bet my house that smart metering will not result in reduced electricity bills for the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Some might be interested in this post on the availability (or more specifically, the unavailability) of 30 minute usage data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The megacorps using automation to screw the ordinary punter as usual. Send all the meter-readers home, pocket their wages for themselves & spend the rest of their days sunning themselves on a beach in the Carribean

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭pummice

Thats true, but who wants to shower and look at TV in the middle of the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Not everything can moved to night rate but things like dishwashers, laundry and immersion can. And if you have an EV it's a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No way I'm leaving appliances running at night while I'm asleep. Apart from the fire risk, living in a smallish bungalow and being a light sleeper, it'd wake me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

Makes no sense to move to smart plans - day/nights plans are cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Have the Electric Ireland meter in a while (why stand in the way of progress, plus my father keeps moaning its sky high and using estimated as excuse) and just got the activation email

Im guessing Home Electric+ 24 hours is basically the same as what I am now?

Elderly parents and then the brother hardly leaves so not much use in trying to be clever with night plans etc

Post edited by jeffk on

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

I would love to know the reasoning behind the smart meter rates being so high. The companies obviously don't want it to be successful otherwise they would have priced it in such a way to make it attractive.

There is zero incentive to select a smart tariff compared to standard rates(from Bord Gais).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,191 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is not a suppliers project, its a ESB-Networks project, as they still read the meters

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

I would love to see the statistics as to how often appliances go on fire in Ireland and of those that do, what time it occurs and are they maintained correctly, esp with driers . Not knocking your fears, but I would suspect it is very low.

I do get the noise factor entirely and not every appliance can be scheduled for night time running so you would have to be still up at 11pm (or whatever time is switches over) to physically start them. Never mind a 4am off-off peak rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, that comment about "I'd never leave on stuff at night due to fires" sparked my interest back then as I do it all the time to utilize the night rate. To be fair, both my washing machine and dish washer have a "Delay" , and i set that so that it fires off at 11pm (in winter) and I'm usually up until 1am anyway, so with 2 hrs to run ....the washing machine/disk wash has mostly finished it's cycle before I go to sleep anyway. Tumble dryer I tend to not use at night rate.

Apparently when I looked into it, fires do happen. But to me, it's like knowing that people get killed walking across the street, doesn't stop me from walking across the street. Same thing here. People of course will have different personal risk/reward equations, but if your appliances are relatively new and haven't been mistreated, I'd say you are safe enough. That's not to say that your "wrong" to not use stuff, only that for me the risk is so low that it doesn't concern me. Everyone should do your own evaluation :-)

Ironically one of the top appliances which catches fires a lot is fridges. Yup fridges. The compressor at the back generates heat and they do catch fire. In context, if your worried about a fire you should unplug your fridge. Since most people don't do that.....perhaps we are overtly cautious here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Plug everything out at night, dishwasher, fridge, TV, freezer, kettle, microwave, bedside alarm etc, in fact you should do so whenever you are not in the house too, don't leave any chargers of any description on unattended because those batteries explode.

If you have PV better pull the Fireman switch whenever you are not in the house or decide to go for a nap during sunlight hours.

There are moving vehicles on the road now, be careful of them, never leave a footpath, if you do need to cross the road then immediately return to your house and turn back on electrical devices, but only if you're in that room

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Is anyone else getting We cannot display your Insights at the moment. Please try again later. message in all of the my electric Ireland page?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Curious if even one person has found a Smart tariff which has a decent night rate and "peak" rate?

Decent would mean better than 24 hr standard tariff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭beachhead

My understanding from ESB networks is that if I opt for a Smart Plan I cannot revert back to a Standard Plan.It is not possible.I am still trying to out what the so called smart plans actually are.The ESB do not reply and no one here seems to know either apart smarty replies.

Not sure what exactly your question here here beachhead? Smart meters are well explained here

Smart Metering (sseairtricity.com)

and on all the other providers websites. The rates that you pay are also readily available on the sites , for example.....

Compare our plans | Bord Gáis Energy (bordgaisenergy.ie)

Our tariffs (sseairtricity.com)

but bonkers.ie is the way to check (easily) across providers.

Ultimately, people have checked all of them. The smart meter tariffis at the moment are an oxymoron. Anyone who swaps to them will (invariably) end up having an increased bill - hence why they aren't that "smart".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭beachhead

I am with Electric Ireland.Not SSE or Bord Gais.Therefore I want info from the horses' mouth i.e.Electric Ireland.All I can find on EI site are references to how good they are but no facts.I would not trust bonkers.ie for up to date info.I want a reply from EI that I can quote back to them. But,thanks I'll look at SSE and BG details

Well, I only gave you those because I didn't know who you were with, but it's all up there somewhere on the web.....You just have to search man.

Electric Ireland: Compare Electricity & Gas Rates (selectra.ie)

Compared that to the day/night......you'll lose money (assuming your on day/night)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

Those are insane prices. Switched to EI yesterday for day/night rates and they are 16/08c give or take a fraction of a cent.

Not just there's no incentive at all to change, it massively punative to go on those rates.

Advertisement