Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

1. What's ungodly about 8:30 pm? 😁 Most GAA teams are just finishing their warm ups.

and 2. How does one track the aforementioned gentlemen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Well you are the absolute outlier on my Strava feed regarding timing of runs 😂 Running at that hour just feels.....wrong 😉 Although I did do a LR at 3:30am on one occasion. It even prompted TbL to post on this log for the first time 😁

Regarding Berlin, there's usually an app, but I don't see it on Google Play so not sure about that...is it on TV I wonder?

Manchester Marathon Week 12 of 14

Getting close now.

Mon: 11.4k Easy: 57:25 @5:03/km

Legs felt fresher after the easier LR the day before.

Tue: 11.4k Easy: 55:19 @4:50/km

Same route as day before, let legs decide the pace. Feeling great on this one.

Wed: 10.2k Easy: 51:22 @5:01/km

Laps of Sarsfields whilst eldest fella was training. Handy enough set up. He hadn't came back after Covid-19, but decided to make his triumphant return this week.

Thu: 10 Mile Tempo: 59:30 @3:42/km

Wasn't overly enamoured when I saw this on the plan. I knew I'd have to head out straight after school and that's just not ideal for a multitude of reasons 🤪 Tried to suggest doing a 10k race in Naas on Sunday instead but I was dismissed pretty rapid. 'You know what race effort feels like and you know what tempo effort feels like. Don't race it' was the short and sweet description that was given....

...and I didn't. First mile did come in at 5:53 and I sort of had to check myself a little, rest of the miles were all 5:55-5:58 and apart from a little slip whilst going into the side of the road to pick up a water bottle, it was without drama. Debuted the socks, shoes and shorts I'm gonna wear for Manchester and they were all good. Had a chuckle that the final time was 5 seconds faster than Kilbeggan a few weeks back.

2 and a bit weeks out and I'm in a good spot. Really feel like the fitness is there. I'm sure I'll be on here expressing some doubts over the next couple of weeks, but that's just part and parcel of the whole experience isn't it 😁

Little over 20k for the day. 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Monster session.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Second that, all the omens are good 👍

TbL

• Advertisement

In the final throws of this block here...

Fri: 7 Miles Easy: 59:10 @5:14/km

Bit of craic in the school, ran a mile with each class in the morning. Kids are hilarious.

Sat: 5 Miles Easy: 39:26 @4:54/km

Sarsfields GAA laps.

Sun: 20.2k Easy: 1:36:27@4:47/km

Met a mate over in Naas for this one in the afternoon. He's running Manchester too and chasing a slightly faster target than myself, so we had a good chat about all things MCR and the morning's goings-on in Berlin. Berlin was great to watch. I've a real affinity with that race, even though my own edition in 2017 was a disaster. Maybe it's the fact that once upon a time I lived and studied in Germany for a year as part of my initial degree or maybe it's just the whole spectacle around that race, but whatever it is, I desperately want to run it again (Have you not noticed the title of this log?).

The weather conditions meant it was with a sense of foreboding that I watched events unfold, as I knew from painful experience that once temperatures push past 20 degrees then things are going to come to a head late on. I followed a good few people and, Jebuz's blister disaster aside, everyone of them positive splitted, and not all of those stemmed the bleeding as brilliantly as Djemba Djemba. I was chatting to AMK and he talked about being unsure about targeting Berlin in the future because of the chances of a scorcher and I can see why. Nobody that I knew who ran the race actually adjusted their targets due to the heat. It's a real dilemma for people standing on startline, particularly, let's say, if you have say a specific target that you've named a log after :). I don't know what I'd do. I've blown up in 20+ degree heat in Rotterdam and I've made my big breakthrough on a 20+ day in Limerick 4 weeks after. It's a difficult one. Anyway, I won't have 24 degree heat to worry about Sunday week, but wind might play a factor, so I may have to make a couple of adjustments.

Mon: Rest

Tue: 11k Easy: 56:02 @5:05/km

This was not great. I'd jarred my hip getting out of my little lady's bed after reading a bedtime story the night before and it was at me all through the run. Add to this a really tender left hamstring and suddenly I'm in a world of worry. Probably nothing, but I'd prefer not to have to deal with such niggles. Had an Epsom bath and offered some prayers to the marathon gods.

Wed: 14 Miles Relaxed: 1:33:56 @4:10/km

Okay, so I might have been a little over dramatic the night before. I was still feeling the hip and hamstring a little on this one, but not to the point where they affected the run at all. Was bouncing off the road for this one. Had 6:50's in my head going out but once I ran up to the Curragh and started on the loop, I found it impossible not to fall into fairly effortless 6:40's.

Will be spending the next few days trying not to get sick.

I am 100% ready and all-in for October 10th.

Post edited by healy1835 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

would you not get a massage to iron out any remaining kinks?

TbL

You're doing some job of keeping the powder dry..those sessions have you straining at the leash which is a good sign..

Ah yeah I will aright. My significant other is actually a physioterrorist...but I might get another one of her kind to give me the once over. It's never really worked out great in the past, apparently I complain too much and am a massive wimp during these rubs 🤣 both pretty accurate to be fair

I don't know if you think I'm using up some of my powder or not...😛

No not atall. Genuinely there's a good few sessions now where you've ran very comfortably and resisting the urge to go faster...to me that's keeping the powder dry...

• Advertisement

Thu: 8 Miles Easy: 1:06:05 @5:08/km

Shuffle around the camp after a long day in work.

Fri: 8.4k Easy: 42:15 @5:00/km

Was gonna go a little further, but felt tired enough out on this one so cut route short.

Sat: 10k Easy: 51:16 @5:08/km

Estate laps. Felt a lot fresher.

Sun: 15.2k: 1:02:24 @4:06/km

Inc 3x2miles @MP or slightly faster

12:20, 12:16, watched died about half a mile in but I'm pretty sure that they were at least as fast as the 2nd rep as they were downwind.

50 Miles for the week.

Everyone I know seems to have run a marathon in the last couple of weeks. Some good (Clash City Rocker from these parts with an amazing run in London this morning) , some not so good. Honestly, I thought that having these marathons on before Manchester would have me buzzing, but it's sort of just made me more nervous and anxious.

I just need to get out of my own way this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Yeah I feel the exact same after all the different Marathon runs over the last couple of weeks!

It's gonna be a long week for everyone around me😳😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great work, J, all the best for the coming week and the big day. Looking forward to hearing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Both of you have put in excellent blocks of training. Some of the not so good performances could not say the same,I guess 😳. Enjoy the rest of the taper and you both deserve a good race.

Thanks a mill D, we live & learn. But even with good blocks of training sometimes race day just doesn't go our way. Here's hoping that doesn't happen & we are both happy campers next week😁

🤣 You really weren't in my thoughts when I made that comment! Seeing as you stealthily snuck that PB attempt in nicely under the radar. Like I said to you, it really was a free hit and fair play for making it to 20 miles. Hopefully your foot will keep playing ball and you can have a right rattle at one in the New Year. The week of a marathon can really drag sometimes, let's hope this one passes quickly! He says at 8:38am on Monday...anyway, off to check the weather forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Morning,

All the very best. Fantastic training as always.

Now don't forget to pack charger and CHARGE WATCH!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

I just checked the weather on your behalf on yr.no! Carlsberg don't do marathon weather forecasts, but if they did..... 🤣🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Might not get a chance to pop back in in the next few days so I'll say best of luck with the rest of the week and the race.

Charge your watch.

Charge you watch.

Watch your charge.

Anyone flown out of Dublin Airport lately? Haven't been on a plane since the before times. If one had a 6:30am flight of a Saturday morning, what might be a sufficient arrival time to get through security these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

We did it recently. Got to the airport two plus hours early. We had a bag drop so had a queue but assume you won't. Would book fast-track Security for yourselves to ensure less stress. Breakfast on the other side was on our laps as restaurant full. Think we arrived at 5am for a 7:50 flight so had time to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Haven't flown out of it but I work in it 🤣 Are you flying from T1 or T2? I won't be back in work until Saturday night but if you're going out through T2 I will stick your name on Fastrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

I arrived at 7.40 for a 9.05 flight on Saturday. Around a 10 minute queue for security so was in plenty of time.

Thank you all kindly. @skyblue46 no, T1 on Michael O'Leary's finest for me. Next time maybe 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

All the best Johnny, you have some fantastic training behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Best of luck at the weekend. You have some serious training done and I hope you are justly rewarded for it in Manchester.

Mon: Rest

Tue: 8.7k Easy: 44:15 @5:04/km

Shuffle around the plains.

Wed: 5 Miles inc 2MP + 2x75secs: 32:32 @4:02/km

Last little blow out. Warmed up for a mile, was tipping along nicely, straight into 2 miles in or around MP. It was one of those runs where you wanted to feel good and I did to be fair. 12:23 for the 2 miles and close to 400m for both the 75 secs.

Thu: Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

Have the makings of a cold here. Trying not to go down the road of panicking here. Taking all the stuff I need to and hoping it just stays as a little sniffle. Doesn't help the paranoia obviously, but it is what it is. I presume I'll be fine 😬

Thanks to all for the good luck messages, here and off line 👍 final pep talk and instructions with the boss tonight.

Nerves increasing...

Very best of luck, you have all the hard work done...now go & enjoy it😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Best of luck J. Go and smash it. The work is done, Sunday is for putting it all on show.

You feel a cold...thats the taper madness. Nothing to worry about.

For Dublin airport, if you are parked in the blue car park give yourself a bit more time to get to the airport. The Blue car park feels close to Tayto park than the Airport. Also if you are in the Blue car park, take exit 4 off the M50. I am only telling you about the Blue car park because the red was full when I went. It might not be this weekend.

As for security I went at lunch time Friday and I think it was the quickest I have ever got through it all. On the way back remember to have filled in your passenger locator form. The Ryanair crew were checking for that.

Best of luck again and just bring it on.

• Advertisement

Right so, turns out that I'm not on the way out and whatever was hanging around yesterday in the system doesn't look like it will impact Sunday. It's times like this that the log does come in handy for just looking back over a training block. Whilst things were a little hectic, overall I've gotten all the quality runs in that I wanted to get in and I feel like I've given myself the best chance I could have of performing well on Sunday.

As regards my plans for the race...well with the title of the log being what it is, I could hardly target 4min kms on Sunday could I? 🤣 But in all seriousness, sub 2:45 is the A goal and I won't be shying away from that pace. But I have B & C goals that can be targeted if necessary. No tracker app for this one but you can track people on the official website. How well that might work is unknown, but the timing splits are 10k, 21k, 30k.

Will hopefully have a good report for ye after weekend.

Johnny

Advertisement