Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yeah, given the fact that we're gazillions in hock after Covid, I can see it being a very hard sell to the general public shelling out hundreds of millions (150 up front costs was the last estimate I heard) on yotties, no matter what the payback might (or might not) be.

I just wonder, having struggled every 2 years to get accommodation for 12 crew for Cork Week, where they expect it all to spring from for the 10s of thousands of visitors and spectators? And if they do manage to produce that many bed spaces, what happens them after?

No idea about the LV Cup (although wasn't it Prada last time??) - haven't heard that mentioned at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Been following a thread over on sailing anarchy about it and some of the crap coming out from local vested interests and media is amazing regarding numbers of bed nights, visitors, superyachts and tourist euros. We dont have the facilities to host the AC boats never mind all these magical superyachts and visitors if they turn up. The organisers/defenders would also probably need to be looking at a new class of boat just to cope with the waters off cork which are not as protected as Auckland. Covney seems to be a big force pushing this aswell and after his recent behaviour I could see this being used as a political football by sections of the left

Another issue I have is that this event was about the prestige of winning the cup and bringing it home to the winners local port/city/club but its now like every other big sporting event and just goes to the highest bidder

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Nothing wrong with 12 metres....

Once they have manual coffee grinders and wire jib sheets why not

I know the AC75's are magnificent feats of modern design & engineering etc..., but looking at 8 lads riding exercise bikes, while another 2-3 lads steer and trim the wing/jib wasn't exactly appealing to the inner sailor in me...

There's little excitement in watching 2 boats creaming along at 30+ knots.... with no drama going around the windward mark and hoisting kites....

The best you could hope for at the recent AC was in light winds and the boats maybe came off the foils.....

• Advertisement

Agree 100%.

Either falling off the foils, or capsizing, was the height of the excitement to be hoped for.

After the first couple of races, literally the first boat across the start line was almost guaranteed the win. Drag racing is all it was.

1 mistake and you lose the race, because by the time you rectify the mistake (get foiling again) the other boat is 3 miles up the course and can ease off because there's no way you're catching them.....

Remember on the 12 meters and the AC Class boats, and sometimes arriving a close 2nd at the leeward mark was actually an advantage as you could cover the lead boat and kill their wind.... it was just so much more tactical. Now it's basically the helmsman and the guy telling him where to steer. They might as well contest the next AC in Flying Fifteens or Squibs..

Flying Fifteens or squibs are probably closer to 12M sailing then the foilers but would be just as boring to watch ploding around the course

At least there would be a bit of sailcraft involved......

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

• Advertisement

Not quite the end.....

Reading between the lines today, I got the distinct impression that our lot looked for the extension, knowing full well it would probably be refused - and then it would be all AC's fault, they wouldn't have had to actually say "no, we don't want to do it".

If so - well, that's backfired on them!!

But I see now NZ are in with a last minute bid of some sort...... that would surely have to be the favourite if it's any way realistic.....

It almost half looks like the AC are giving the extension to allow us to get our sh1t in order to decide if we want to do it or not…

you’d imagine a Europe based AC would be the best option for maximum TV audiences = ad revenue etc….

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Now all Coveney has to do is not get fired from his job in government and demoted to the backbenches.

Podium finish for Tom Dolan in the last leg of the Figaro, and 15th overall - great result for him! Nice interview with him on Seascapes this evening.

That solo offshore stuff is kind of mad, can't really get my head around it at all - absolute hats off to them!!

Wexford RNLI crews and R117 are featuring tonight on Saving Lives At Sea on BBC, 8pm.

And I think Dun Laoghaire are on next week's one.

Haven't been watching this current series, though they are all recording on series link, so I love to binge watch a few of them in 1 go...

Rosslare featured in one of my favourite episodes though a few years ago, the Storm Ophelia episode, when they had to rescue the lads delivering the Dehler 34 to Ireland...

Dun Laoghaire are on it next week I think

The Middle Sea Race got off today - and it's looking like a verrrrry windy one! All sorts of records up for the taking/breaking.

There's more Irish interest than I thought - Pata Negra is out there flying a notional ISORA flag, Sailplane has two Irish on board, Freya is there, and another Irish sailor is on board some boat whose name I missed, but I presume is Otra Vez.

And probably more that I've missed.

More happy days to be spent tracking dots around a screen!!

Post edited by HeidiHeidi on

Just got sent these!!!

Jelly Baby on the rocks in Cork.

• Advertisement

Raced against them at few irc & j109 events and was a good boat with a good young crew. Sorry to see that but glad everyone's OK. Boats can be replaced

I’ve seen the video, she broached under main & Genoa only!!!, and broached into the rocks!!

and just saw the video of her being re-floated….. so hopefully minor damage only…

Rudders banjaxed and bouncing on the keel can't have been good internally. Looks from the boatyard video like a good bit of water got inside too

I'd say there's a very pissed off Russian billionaire who's had his brand new 125 footer beaten by a old 100 footer over the course

That was a bit of a surprise alright.

Although at one stage Skorpios was doing 5kts in a very odd direction coming down the westerly side of the course, I wonder did they have a problem of some sort?

But Comanche led most of the way on the water - great race by them.

He should have never fitted the his and hers heads…….. too much weight!!

none of that nonsense on Comanche…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Judging by the rust mark on the keel I'd say it isn't the first time she's taken a knock. Hopefully its fully restored

https://m.psecn.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000Bm4ZM8T5NE0/s/767/I0000Bm4ZM8T5NE0.jpg

Advertisement