Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Richard308

No legislation on knives I should clarify

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Richard308 - One supermarket took knives and scissors temporarily off the shelves afaik.

Reuters are reporting mulitple Supermarkets following suit of the Countdown Chain's actions, hence the reason I said so.

Richard308 - I think it’s opportunistic of the chain to get free publicity so your premise is flawed.

Not sure how the store chains attempts at free publicity have any bearing on the veracity of "my premise". An islamic terrorist goes on a stabbing rampage using a Supermarket knife, said knives are pulled from sale, people cannot currently buy knives from that chain, and according to reports so too are other store chains, so therefore the actions of one nutter has consequences for others. How is that flawed?

Richard308 - There is no legislation from what I’ve read. No legislation on knives I should clarify

I didn't say there was. I said legislation was being pushed to close a loophole that allowed an islamic terroist to stay in the country after repeatedly being jailed/arrested/followed/surveilled, and not deported:

Reuters - "Arden - I am committing, that as soon as Parliament resumes, we will complete that work – that means working to pass the law as soon as possible, and no later than by the end of this month".

The Counter Terror Legislation Bill criminalises planning and preparation that might lead to terror attack, closing what critics have said has been a loophole allowing plotters to stay free.

But Ardern said it would not be fair to assume that the tighter law would have made a difference in this case.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Jesus. Two "incidents" (as they're described in the news) in Cork and Kerry relating to bodies found and reports of "a firearm incident". The Cork incident was a single person event while three people were found in Kerry. In both instances An Gardaí are saying they are not looking for anyone else in connection to the incidents.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Whats your logic in favour not closing the loophole that allowed an convicted extremist to stay in the country?

Maybe I’m missing some of the subtle details of the loophole. But sounds like they were prevented from dealing with him. Whether it stops every possible attack is not the point. I don’t see how that a “kneejerk” reaction.

Knives in shops is a different matter obviously.

Mellor - Whats your logic in favour not closing the loophole that allowed an convicted extremist to stay in the country?

Not sure how you came to this conclusion. Nowhere in any of my posts above did I advocate for not closing such a loophole.

Mellor - Maybe I’m missing some of the subtle details of the loophole. But sounds like they were prevented from dealing with him.

They [NZ Government] were.

Mellor - Whether it stops every possible attack is not the point.

Kinda is. If legislation, according to the NZ PM, would not have prevented this attack then its not good legilsation. Dealing with those in a more severe manner AFTER the fact is a bonus, but any legislation should include more thorough details on how to prevent such attacks. You don't announce before legislation is passed that it won't work.

Mellor - I don’t see how that a “kneejerk” reaction.

I never called it kneejerk. You seem to be attributing words/statements not made by me, to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Maybe the Irish Govt could try this with our gangs in Dublin? Pay them 3 grand per month NOT to shoot at each other?🙄

https://trendingpolitics.com/san-francisco-will-now-pay-residents-each-month-to-not-shoot-eachother-crugg/

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

If it were three grand a month I'd imagine they'd have a huge influx of new gang members, but its three hundred per month and a utter failure according to most reports with members of the pilot scheme already being sentenced to life in prison for committing murders while in the program.

However why should they let common sense get in the way of simply throwing piles of money at something with a view that it'll solve all problems. Like gun buy back programs. Most data suggests they have little to no effect on gun violence (America data as other countries version of a gun buy back was to ban the types of guns and then buy them which is moot in America)..

................ and here it comes. Local TDs jumping on the band wagon, using the false and hugely outdated numbers from 2008 in their justification for tighter gun control. As its so tight already the only option is to ban more guns and make no mistake that is their agenda.

And the shtstorm is spreading with the wannabe Taosieach putting his oar into this.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40694411.html

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

"estimated 6% of adults in Irish households lived with a gun in 2015."

""If figures around gun ownership in Ireland are correct, it seems an extraordinarily high number," she said."

Is 6% considered high? It is 12% in Finland and they have a similar population number. The hyperbole from anti-gun people in this country is very tiresome.

• Advertisement

"he believed that there may need to be some examination of firearms laws."

What more can they do to restrict firearm ownership in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Break out the cheque book then Mehole...Because that WILL cost and there is no overreaching concern to do so on any type here.

Unless they want to legislate for people involved in land disputes, or were possibly terminally ill, or had severe depression...Which BTW is being sold to the public as "violence towards women" by Advic. There is very little else they can do,bar introducing something like "red flag laws " like in the US. Where anyone, anyplace, anytime can say you are unstable, violent or threatening, and sic the cops on you to remove them. You then need a court order to get them returned, and BTW the court issues this confiscation order, without you even being present to defend yourself.

They should have a look at the six counties then!! Think its 8% going by a The Gunard"[Gaurdian] newspaper in 2012. Plus they have...Shock ...Horror...Pearl clutching!!!... CONCEALED carry for "self-defence!"It's funny how it's always the "look at America" comparison here, when a "Look at NI,Czech Republic[The "Texas" of Europe], Poland" would be a much more realistic and rational comparison.

That is because you do not hear of mass shootings in those Countries. If you want to manipulate the masses to your way of thinking, of course the Country with the most mass shootings will be held up as an example of what will happen here, and therefore the powers that be must be seen to take steps to prevent Carlow becoming the Texas of Ireland.

Probably, actually definitely, irrelevant point, but this:

solarwinds - of course the Country with the most mass shootings will be held up as an example of what will happen here

....... always means America yet nobody mentions Norway, France, Russia, SWitzerland, Finalnd, etc. all of which have more casualties per capita from mass shootings than America. America comes ot mind simply because they have more shootings, but in the above listed countries, and they're only a few of the many ahead of America, more people are killed in other countries than America.

As said its not exactly a bragging point and by no means mitigates the terrbile acts of violence commiitted by the sick individuals that carry out such attacks, but its "odd" that no one looks outside of America.

Would have thought Corrrrkkk with their FU attitude would have held that noble title in Ireland.🤣But maybe the good folks of Co Carlow have the most firearms in a county in Ireland?🤔

As said its not exactly a bragging point and by no means mitigate the terrible acts of violence commiitted by the sick individuals that carry out such attacks, but its "odd" that no one looks outside of America.

Plus, if you take out certain cities with a high gun violence problem like Chicago, NYC,LA, Detroit, Seattle,etc. The gun crime stats for the USA are nothing abnormal at all.

This is hillarious. Someone pranked a US school board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbZsracFBbs

• Registered Users Posts: 1 constantinepal

Howdy Folks,

I'm an American who came across a comment on Forgotten Weapons which led me here. I have heard that a 1906 Luger prototype rifle is currently on display at Irish Permanent Defence Force in the Curragh, Co. Kildare, Republic of Ireland. Have any of you seen this rifle? I am trying to gather as much information about it as I can. Thank you all!

-ConstantinePal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not sure how you came to this conclusion. Nowhere in any of my posts above did I advocate for not closing such a loophole. 

Really? Because that’s exactly how this came across;

“So in short we're going to legislate in reaction to this, but it won't actually solve anything.”

What exactly were you implying then? As I can see no other way of reading other than you describing the legislation as pointless. Open to correction of course.

Kinda is. If legislation, according to the NZ PM, would not have prevented this attack then its not good legilsation. Dealing with those in a more severe manner AFTER the fact is a bonus, but any legislation should include more thorough details on how to prevent such attacks. You don't announce before legislation is passed that it won't work.

It isn’t actually. Nothing kinda about it.

No single piece of legislation prevents every possible scenario. That’s pretty basic. That’s why there are dozens of rules of the road for example.

Also, in your first post you said the NZ PM admitted it wouldn’t prevent other similar attacks. Future. Not that it wouldn’t have prevented this one. You’ve moved the goal posts quite a bit there.

If they could have deported this fake refugee it would have of course prevented this incident. A bit silly to claim otherwise. The future acts it would fail to prevent would be carried out by others not in that refugee position.

I never called it kneejerk. You seem to be attributing words/statements not made by me, to me.

Never said you called it kneejerk. That was my own choice of words. Wasn’t trying to imply it was yours. Commonly used to describe reactionary laws. You implied it was pointless and described it “in reaction to”. That falls within kneejerk for me, but really getting into semantics on one.

Apologies for the delayed response. Really finding the new site awful.

Post edited by Mellor on

Mellor - As I can see no other way of reading other than you describing the legislation as pointless. Open to correction of course

I'm not the one that said it was "pointless", you used that word. She [Arden] said it would not prevent similar attacks.

Mellor - No single piece of legislation prevents every possible scenario.

Never said it would, could or did. I said "kinda is", IOW to some extent it should.

Mellor - Also, in your first post you said the NZ PM admitted it wouldn’t prevent other similar attacks. Future. Not that it wouldn’t have prevented this one. You’ve moved the goal posts quite a bit there.

Why do you always accuse me of something instead of asking? Weird that. I'm only repeating what she [Arden] said. I cannot move the goalposts on a narrative she created.

Mellor - If they could have deported this fake refugee it would have of course prevented this incident. A bit silly to claim otherwise. The future acts it would fail to prevent would be carried out by others not in that refugee position.

Once AGAIN. I did not make the claim it would not prevent this attack, SHE [ARDEN] DID.

Mellor - Never said you called it kneejerk.

You seemed to, as though you confused otmmyboy2's response with mine. Not important I suppose.

Hi ya.

Welcome to the Irish shooting world

I think you are on a bit of a wild goose chase. This "1906 prototype Luger carbine" is a myth !

Going by the best Luger heads in the US and Germany no such animal ever existed or was ever conceived by Georg Luger in that timeframe. The "Luger Carbine " was already there in 1901, and was a special order presentation grade firearm from the factory.

It is from a misconstrued posting from way back when in the 00's on a webpage based here in Ireland or the UK, based off an article from a German gun magazine, on the Luger pistols and their Irish connection, from keepsakes being used in the war of independence to them being used as second issue sidearms to the Irish army officer corps in ww2, or as we call it "the emergency" that has spread into something wonderful and unique across the internet.

What itis an Artillery model Luger carbine, that has a select fire conversion done to it. Possibly by the same gunsmith Hyram Lebman from Texas that made John Dillengers select-fire 1911 A1 back in the 1920s. He was famous for converting post ww1 guns for customers, well pre the NFA act[That's BTW my speculation and research on this ] How it got to Ireland or who owned it or its history is utterly unknown. It's not on display either far as I know.

Basically, it's an Arty Luger, with the complete kit, snail drum mag in 9mm, shoulder board, leatherworks and a vertical folding wooden foregrip reminiscent of one found on the Serbu 12 ga shot pistols. The full auto is done by a vertical plate being pushed down on the Lugers exposed outside sear bar

Still have the mag article somewhere, I'll email you a copy of it if you want to PM me an email.

Hope this helps

Newstalk will be discussing whether gun laws are too lenient in this country. On the Pat Kenny show this morning.

Starting now.

Woman, Mother of someone that was a victim of gun crime, said that gun licensing is very strict and very stringent but more needs done like a re-statement of the legislation. Not sure how a restatement of the legislation would stop criminals.

Dan Curly from NARGC on now.

Christy Galligan, retired Garda. Starts with the usual "they're lethal weapons" rethoric and continues to use it throughout. Goes on to detail the 9 page FCA1 application.

Using completely outdated data saying over quarter million firearms licensed and it could be more since he retired. Then the reporter cites gunpolicy and the bastardised 150,000 illegal gun number, AGAIN.

Here it comes.

The retired Garda saying once you get your license anything can happen between then and renewal and how Gardaí are not psychologist.

The idea of mental checks before licensing was raised by a couple of Doctors some years back (2012 I believe) and it was dismissed even by his own piers as unworkable and still not helping to prevent the unpredictable.

Its over now.

It was a short segment. Good to hear someone from the shooting side actual talk (although none of it was live) but I still don't understand why the shooting groups here are not more protective. By that I mean we get lumped in with criminals and that lie of a number about illegal guns so why not hit back saying we are not criminals, have no connection to criminality and attacks on gun owners is a result of the impotence of the Government and its bodies to adequately deal with gun violence.

We were talking about electric cars (some 2+ years ago) and the Governments' plan to reduce petrol/Diesel by 2030 and eliminate them by, iirc, 2040. In the discussion I wondered/asked about the lost revenue from fuel sales, road tax, etc. from Petrol/Diesel vehicles and said that a time will come when electric cars will start to become popular enough that revenue will drop and the exemptions given, and taxes lost would be recouped in other ways.

The Irish Times this morning have reported that based on figures they have seen for the upcoming budget that the VRT exemption on electric cars will be reduced resulting in the price of electric cars rising by over (avg) €4,000+.

The motoring industry is worth over €5,000,000,000 per annum to the Irish exchequer. Other than a rise in cost to buy I wonder how long it'll be before other charges, designed to offset the loss in revenue form Petrol/Diesel vehicles, will be brought in. As electric vehicle are road tax free, as its based on emissions, will they introduce a road "usage" tax?

• Advertisement

Beats me how they intend to power all this, solar panels and windmills on every hill and rooftop and a literal barrier of these expensive bird mincers around our coast still won't cut it. Denmark has given up on these in the seas around their coast. Germany is by far the most advanced in Europe on alt energy, cant even on the most prime optimal days produce 50% of its daily power demand. In fact in reality despite all the propaganda surrounding it. It is an economic and energy policy disaster over there. They still have to fire up three coal-fired 1960s era plants to cover demand, since Merkel shut down 3 perfectly safe nuke plants with exemplary safety records post-Fukishma

Good job we are building that interconnector to France, who produce over 60+% of their power by nuke! Power can flow both ways down a line, if you think Eamo Ryan and his stories about Ireland becoming a green energy source supplying power to the EU is the reason for this interconnector...I have a nice, very tall monument in O Connell St Dublin for sale.

PS its 2030 that they want to ban the import of all new petrol and diesel-engined cars and SUVs into Ireland. So if you want that H1 Hummer for the deer stalking or that Bugatti Veryon, you got 9 years...

Just to belabour the point of Govt bans of things like internal combustion engines and semi-auto rifles post-2015. Strange that they could give everyone this timely decade long warning of a plan that affects 99.9% of us But couldn't say when they propose to deprive40 plus people of their property without recompense?

Advertisement