Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Rogan downplays the need for a vaccination and gets covid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

I dunno, there have been 1 or 2 Invermectin stories popping up on the Herman Cain Awards twitter.

worth a browse if you dont mind going to hell for laughing.

If you have been vaccinated for mmr then you too are a normie.

Ps: you have been. Now toe this line with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

oops ... I think I am actually mistaking you for someone else.

Seriously apologies ... :S ... I'm embarrassed...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

His stance is he is sceptical of covid vaccines , he won't say if he got vaccinatted, he gave a long list of various medications he says he took after he got covid 19 . The problem is he has millions of fans who listen to his podcast and young people listen to what he says.

If 99 per cent of the population got the jab covid 19 might dissappear as we would have general immunity from infection the problem with America is 30 to 40 per cent of the population are unvaccinatted so the delta variant is spreading and hospitals are almost overwhelmed

Eg ordinary persons can't get treated for basic common illness as the wards are full of covid patients

I just read today a famous rap star says she could not go to the met gala as she did not get the vaccine there seems to be alot of stupid people in America who

Cannot even understand the vaccine protects you eg even if you get covid 19 you will probably not experience serious side effects or end up in a hospital icu unit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,177 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It's pretty clear he didn't take a vaccine as he was doesn't trust them, but then took unproven medicines...

I see Stern has called him out.

"I heard Joe Rogan was saying 'What are you busting my balls [for]? I took horse de-wormer and a doctor gave it to me,'" he said on The Howard Stern Show. "Well, a doctor would also give you a vaccine, so why take horse-dewormer?"

Rogan took "all kinds of meds" after he was diagnosed with COVID-19 including ivermectin, a drug typically used in the U.S. to treat or prevent parasitic worms in animals. (The FDA has not approved ivermectin for use in treating or preventing COVID-19 in humans. Still, Rogan slammed the media's coverage of his admission.)

Stern went on to address the blowback he received over vaccine comments on last Tuesday's show.

"All I said was everyone should get the vaccine, it should be mandatory. This brought down a slew of publicity like I haven't seen ever, it was mind-blowing. I was trying to figure it out, 'Why am I getting so much press for saying this? Is it really so wild?' All I'm doing is speaking common sense," he said. "We have a cure for this dreaded COVID and we're not taking it — take it. Make people take it the same way we take polio vaccines and every other vaccine."

Stern said "we have it so good in this country, people forgot about disease" and that there are "cures."

"It always wasn't like this. You don't get to live to 80 years old automatically. It's done with science," he added. "The reason we live longer is because of science."

The radio host doubled down on his stance that unvaccinated people should be refused treatment at hospitals.

"We're trapped in a country with imbeciles," he added. "Guess what? When we get COVID, we don't end up in the hospitals so we don't overload the hospitals. So what did I say? We have no time for idiots in this country anymore. We don't want you. We want you to all, either go to the hospital and stay home, die there with your COVID. Don't take the cure, but don't clog up our hospitals with your covid when you finally get it. Stay home, don't bother with science, it's too late. Go f**** yourself, we just don't have time for you."

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ohnohedidnt

If 99% of the population got the vaccine, deaths would drop dramatically. But the virus would continue to circulate, and eventually mutate to bypass the vaccine. The vaccine effectiveness against high viral load infections drops off dramatically over time, so vaccinated can and will spread the virus. It's not even going to be that difficult to bypass the vaccine because the vaccine only defends against 1 protein, if that one protein changes enough the vaccine doesn't work. The vaccine may not even protect against the current Mu variant.

Yes the vaccine protects you from serious side effects and if you take it you probably won't experience serious side effects. Also if you don't take the vaccine, you probably won't experience serious side effects and probably won't end up in hospital. If the same pressure was being applied to obese people to get in shape that's being applied to unvaccinated to get vaccinated, it would leave the population better prepared for the next variants and future pandemics, and make for a generally healthier population, but the solution to every problem these days has to be a drug.

Almost all deaths were old people, obese people and people with co-morbidities, 78% of hospital admissions are obese. If people were just healthy the impact of this would have been much smaller. Old people can't help being old, and cancer patients cant help having cancer, they'd have to be nuts not to take the vaccine, the vaccine is great for protecting them. But aside form old people and sick people, have you seen the list of co-morbidities that factor into deaths?, hypertension, diabetes, heart disease and what's a major cause of all of those? Obesity.

Covid-19 death rates are 10 times higher in countries where more than half of the adult population is classified as overweight.

I may well end up taking the vaccine soon, but I feel that it absolutely should not be mandatory. And if unvaccinated people are going to be denied entry into a restaurant based on personal health choices, maybe there's some other people that need to be excluded from restaurants based on their health choices too. Some people have made heathy life choices and have enough faith in their bodies ability to fight off a virus with almost statistically insignificant mortality rate in some age groups. I feel like they have earned the right to not take a drug that they don't need or want, that doesn't prevent the spread of the virus, all it does it further reduces the their already tiny chances of serious illness., we call those people stupid and covidiots.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Both Rogan and Stern are attention seekers and both aren't exactly speaking truths, though Stern is far closer to it(though describing vaccines as a "cure" is wildly inaccurate). Even if 100% of people were vaccinated against covid there is zero chance it would disappear(never mind that you'd have to vaccinate the entire world). The covid vaccines are a fantastic example of science and technology responding to a threat, especially a type of virus that had never had a successful vaccine against it, and in such a short time with it.

However while they are a great success at reducing deaths and hospitalisations, they're also "leaky" as they reduce but don't stop transmission and it seems efficacy drops pretty rapidly and they don't protect as much as catching and fighting off infection(the current sweet spot seems to be catch and get over covid and then get a vaccine, or be a rare example of someone who caught SARS and got a Covid vaccine. They're pretty much immune to all viruses in that class).

The other issue is that the vaccines produce a response to a very narrow part of the genetics of the virus, a particular spike protein, which massively increases selective pressure on the virus to evolve around that. Add in the leaks and continued transmission and that's a recipe for a new variant that bypasses the current vaccines. Add in a mix of unvaccinated and vaccinated in the mix and it's almost inevitable we'll have another variant of concern in short order.

TL;DR? we need to vaccinate, but it's no magic bullet and we need a better vaccine. Which no doubt we'll get.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Is anyone else seeing this sentence at the bottom of users posts? I'm only seeing them on the desktop but not on the phone. Weird.

Irish contender for a herman cain award in here.

Sure I suppose its good to see the country represented.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

It's quite long, it'd be quite difficult to fit on a number of forms.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Poor old Sanjay doesn't know what to say 😅

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

.oo

Disagreed with a lot the Dr had to say in the podcast myself so I am not out to defend him or anything but - not so sure it is entirely fair to say "he did not know what to say".

Two issues there.

The first is he is a representative of CNN so he would be under pressure not to say anything too bad about them. So his hands were a little tied there. So rather than not knowing what to say - he was being guarded.

The other issue is that Rogan in that clip talked over him, interrupted him, and shouted him down a lot more than he usually does with guests. In fact a few times Rogan specifically says in other podcasts that the reason he insists on headphones is it levels the voices and strongly inhibits people from talking over each other. So it is not normal to see him do that to a guest. So rather than not knowing what to say - he wasn't really let say anything in that clip.

But yea what !can! you say in that situation? I did not follow the story but if Rogan's description of it is true - CNN acted like ass hats and it's not all that defensible.

Generally though - Rogan pushed back on him a lot more than he usually does with his guests. He often says himself that he likes to have guests on he even totally disagrees with - even platforming people some people think he should not - because he just wants to hear how they think. So he can often seem to go "easy" on his guests. Even the nutjobs sometimes. In fact it was only a few posts back on this very thread someone complained that this is why they generally don't listen to his show. It is in fact why I do. So different reactions to his approach there.

But that podcast above he really did seem to push hard on the guy. Especially during the discussion about vaccines in 12 to 15 year old boys.

One thing that did come across in the podcast - which I have noticed more and more when I listen to Rogan - is how moved by single anecdotes he is. A guest might say - and it happened multiple times in the podcast above - X is more likely than Y to happen and here is the data. And Rogan will say "But I know this guy who - ".

One specific example about 1 hour 10 minutes into the podcast the doctor said something like "We know people who get significant breakthrough infections and get really sick are most likely vulnerable and elderly" and Rogan talked right over him and said "That's not true - that guy I said was 53 and he is dead!". Unfair. His single anecdote does not make what the guest said "not true". Even a little. So why shout over him that it is not true?

But on quite a lot of topics over recent episodes - from covid to health regimes to supplements to all sorts - I notice quite often that Rogan will be less moved by data than he would be by "This mate of mine tried this - and look how well he is doing on it!".

I like Rogan generally and listen to many of his shows (generally the ones without another stand up comedian or fighter on) - and he is not a bad thinker and he certainly not the idiot or dumb ass he himself tries to make himself out to be. He is clever and informed on many things. Quick witted - and cogent. But his achilles heel for me really is this ongoing tendency to be so powerfully swayed by isolated anecdote.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭ElitesTeam

Joe should have sued CNN for the fake reporting on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Its interesting that the mainstream media like CNN are becoming viewed in the same way that state media were in totalitarian regimes like the eastern bloc, people just assume they're lying and ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Indeed. I lived in America and some of them are more likely to believe that CNN is telling lies than Fox news. It has nothing to do with the source but everything to do with political outlook.

Post edited by steddyeddy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

If it's like fox he won't win, think Tucker Carlson was telling people not to get vaccinated ( and he is ) think someone tried to sue him because that person's family died from covid and didn't get vaccinated, think fox said they are not a news channel rather an entertainment channel so you shouldn't take what he says seriously, which is such a cop out

• Registered Users Posts: 45,177 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Fox and CNN are the same thing, just on different sides. Thank **** we don't have that type of garbage over here.

I complain about RTE like the next man, but I'm grateful for it when I look at those two stations.

At least the yanks have a channel for each side of their political divide

We have RTE which is just Pravda for whoever is in government and writing the cheques that keeps Montrose afloat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yeah but that's Trumps toxic base of cultural tumours though who deride anything to the left of them as far left. I don't watch CNN but when I see the both sides trope being employed yet again, my bullsh*t sensor goes off.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Course you do, you still modding whatevers left of the politics forum? Your bullshit sensor must be very situational. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Both CNN and Fox are toxic propaganda rubbish that is damaging the very fabric of American society. Having no balance in the media is also toxic as we see here with RTE/Newstalk/The Journal etc.. all pretty much signing off the hymn sheet. Not sure where the middle ground or sweet spot is but neither Ireland or America has that. Is podcasts like Rogan's the answer, probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,368 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Oh your back on this thread! So I can now repeat Hector Savage's question to you "will you be retracting your posts that Joe Rogan took Horse de-worming drugs?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭archfi

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

That is perfect. Really sums up the subtle lying that people who are not paying attention will be suckers for .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Advertisement