Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joe Rogan downplays the need for a vaccination and gets covid

12346»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

It's quite long, it'd be quite difficult to fit on a number of forms.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Poor old Sanjay doesn't know what to say 😅

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

.oo

Disagreed with a lot the Dr had to say in the podcast myself so I am not out to defend him or anything but - not so sure it is entirely fair to say "he did not know what to say".

Two issues there.

The first is he is a representative of CNN so he would be under pressure not to say anything too bad about them. So his hands were a little tied there. So rather than not knowing what to say - he was being guarded.

The other issue is that Rogan in that clip talked over him, interrupted him, and shouted him down a lot more than he usually does with guests. In fact a few times Rogan specifically says in other podcasts that the reason he insists on headphones is it levels the voices and strongly inhibits people from talking over each other. So it is not normal to see him do that to a guest. So rather than not knowing what to say - he wasn't really let say anything in that clip.

But yea what !can! you say in that situation? I did not follow the story but if Rogan's description of it is true - CNN acted like ass hats and it's not all that defensible.

Generally though - Rogan pushed back on him a lot more than he usually does with his guests. He often says himself that he likes to have guests on he even totally disagrees with - even platforming people some people think he should not - because he just wants to hear how they think. So he can often seem to go "easy" on his guests. Even the nutjobs sometimes. In fact it was only a few posts back on this very thread someone complained that this is why they generally don't listen to his show. It is in fact why I do. So different reactions to his approach there.

But that podcast above he really did seem to push hard on the guy. Especially during the discussion about vaccines in 12 to 15 year old boys.

One thing that did come across in the podcast - which I have noticed more and more when I listen to Rogan - is how moved by single anecdotes he is. A guest might say - and it happened multiple times in the podcast above - X is more likely than Y to happen and here is the data. And Rogan will say "But I know this guy who - ".

One specific example about 1 hour 10 minutes into the podcast the doctor said something like "We know people who get significant breakthrough infections and get really sick are most likely vulnerable and elderly" and Rogan talked right over him and said "That's not true - that guy I said was 53 and he is dead!". Unfair. His single anecdote does not make what the guest said "not true". Even a little. So why shout over him that it is not true?

But on quite a lot of topics over recent episodes - from covid to health regimes to supplements to all sorts - I notice quite often that Rogan will be less moved by data than he would be by "This mate of mine tried this - and look how well he is doing on it!".

I like Rogan generally and listen to many of his shows (generally the ones without another stand up comedian or fighter on) - and he is not a bad thinker and he certainly not the idiot or dumb ass he himself tries to make himself out to be. He is clever and informed on many things. Quick witted - and cogent. But his achilles heel for me really is this ongoing tendency to be so powerfully swayed by isolated anecdote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭ElitesTeam

Joe should have sued CNN for the fake reporting on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Its interesting that the mainstream media like CNN are becoming viewed in the same way that state media were in totalitarian regimes like the eastern bloc, people just assume they're lying and ignore them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Indeed. I lived in America and some of them are more likely to believe that CNN is telling lies than Fox news. It has nothing to do with the source but everything to do with political outlook.

Post edited by steddyeddy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

If it's like fox he won't win, think Tucker Carlson was telling people not to get vaccinated ( and he is ) think someone tried to sue him because that person's family died from covid and didn't get vaccinated, think fox said they are not a news channel rather an entertainment channel so you shouldn't take what he says seriously, which is such a cop out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Fox and CNN are the same thing, just on different sides. Thank **** we don't have that type of garbage over here.

I complain about RTE like the next man, but I'm grateful for it when I look at those two stations.

At least the yanks have a channel for each side of their political divide

We have RTE which is just Pravda for whoever is in government and writing the cheques that keeps Montrose afloat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yeah but that's Trumps toxic base of cultural tumours though who deride anything to the left of them as far left. I don't watch CNN but when I see the both sides trope being employed yet again, my bullsh*t sensor goes off.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Course you do, you still modding whatevers left of the politics forum? Your bullshit sensor must be very situational. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Both CNN and Fox are toxic propaganda rubbish that is damaging the very fabric of American society. Having no balance in the media is also toxic as we see here with RTE/Newstalk/The Journal etc.. all pretty much signing off the hymn sheet. Not sure where the middle ground or sweet spot is but neither Ireland or America has that. Is podcasts like Rogan's the answer, probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Oh your back on this thread! So I can now repeat Hector Savage's question to you "will you be retracting your posts that Joe Rogan took Horse de-worming drugs?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭archfi

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

That is perfect. Really sums up the subtle lying that people who are not paying attention will be suckers for .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Advertisement