Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

https://ecars-stats.com/ could of saved ya a couple of trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aigne

This is a very interesting chart. Would be interesting to see a histogram of sessions per location. I have heard statements like '10% of chargers on a network have 90% of the use', and wonder if it is true / applies to ecars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Buffman

Don't want to go too far off topic but I'd guess the 'Control Pilot' wire has a break somewhere. I got a failed cable from a Zappi recently and that was the issue. If you're going to dump the old one drop me a message.👍️

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Looking at Fast chargers only, over the last 24 hours here's some stats:

CCS: ~20835 minutes

CHAdeMO: ~9535 minutes

There's 142 units capable of fast charging (50kW or more), so you'd expect the 14 most used units to account for nearly 19000 minutes of CCS usage, and 8500 minutes of CHAdeMO usage.

Top 14 used CCS units = 7975 minutes or 38% (the top 40 units is only about 70% usage)

Top 14 used CHAdeMO units = 3540 or 37% (the top 40 units is only about 70% usage)

Looking at Fast chargers only, over the last 7 days here's some stats:

CCS: ~140680 minutes

CHAdeMO: ~64675 minutes

There's 142 units capable of fast charging (50kW or more), so you'd expect the 14 most used units to account for 126000 minutes of CCS usage, and 58000 minutes of CHAdeMO usage.

Top 14 used CCS units = 47800 minutes or 34% (the top 40 units is only about 63% usage)

Top 14 used CHAdeMO units = 19570 or 30% (the top 40 units is only about 61% usage)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭cannco253

ESB acquires UK green energy retailer So Energy

via The Irish Times

“ESB has operated in the UK for nearly 30 years, investing more than €2 billion in generation assets including wind and solar, while also providing electric vehicle charging infrastructure in London, Coventry and Birmingham.”

Anyone have any more details on this?

Just storing every units plug data every 5 minutes for the last 1-2 years is enough without inefficient data types. I might have to resize my instance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That's exactly what it is, I'll be taking a good look at the cable when I get the chance, won't be going in the bin for sure

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aigne

Thanks, that is interesting, so looking like usage is fairly well spread out across chargers on ecars network.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Anybody else get this email from Easygo, overstay on AC charging after 45 minutes WTF.

Where EasyGo customers charge at partner sites, we are obliged to apply the fee according to the access rules they apply on their chargers. The rates applicable at each charge-point location are clearly set out on the EasyGo app.

We have had questions recently in regard to ESB policy of applying an overstay fee (of €5 +VAT) where users continue charging on ANY eCars Charger (AC & DC) for more than 45 minutes and for every 45 minutes thereafter. This charger access rule and associated fee is decided upon and applied by ESB.

• Advertisement

Some joke. Why would anyone use Easygo to use AC units now. ESB don't have an overstay on AC

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yeah thats a bit of a silly move by easygo. ESB dont charge overstay on AC after 45 mins (!) but easygo do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This looks like a pure cock up and without checking properly they banged out an email to everyone, I'd imagine it will be retracted shortly

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

what do you want to know?

They've built carrignton CCCGT and tilbury Biomass power stations. they've bought several wind farms including a large part of the Neart Na Gaoithe wind farm

the Coventry project was a project for charging electric taxis.

the london one was a TFL tender they won.

ESB Energy | Public Electric Vehicle Charging Solutions

August Update

CCS/CHAdeMO split

My stats say, over the last 2 weeks:

CHAdeMO has been occupied 31.5% of the time. (12.53 weeks of use) (down 2.3%)

CCS the other 68.5% of the time (27.19 weeks of use)

Unit counts

3 Ultra fast chargers

139 Fast charge units installed (Down 1)

523 Slow charge AC units installed (Up 1)

283 of the newer 22kW AC units are now in place.

115 of the old units yet to be replaced, and 11 of those single socket AC units to be replaced too.

AC updates to the new Evolve Smart T unit

NW Transport Hub, Waterside Link, Derry, BT47 6AH X2 (possibly private)

Citywest Shopping Centre Car Park, Citywest Drive, Saggart, Dublin

St. Agnes Road, Crumlin, Dublin 12

Public Car Park, Flanagan's Wharf (Off Main Street), Courtown Harbour, Wrdexfo

O'Connell Square, Edenderry, Offaly

Off Seaview Terrace, Bettystown, Meath

Public Parking, Palace Demense Park (A3), Off Friary Road (A3), Armagh, Armagh

South Lotts Road, Dublin 4

AC units upgraded to DC - 38 of the 50 delivered Bit of a vague number, this is 38 of those units installed, but they're being installed at the "hubs" too.

New FCP

Rochestown in Cork was replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

@Black_Knight regarding the drop in Chademo percentage, is that down to an increase in CSS usage or was the total Chademo hours down?

It'll be interesting if the Chademo usage starts dropping, indicates the Leafs are being relagated to short trips only

In my own case, it's unlikely our Leaf is ever going to see a DC charger again since we'll just use the ID.4 for long journeys

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

You can check back through the posts (I quote the last month's every month I post new stats). This month, CHAdeMO was slightly down on the previous. CCS is up month on month, so the % CHAdeMO going down is due to more CCS usage month on month. Typically both CHAdeMO and CCS usage has been going up month on month. Restrictions ending has certainly added towards the increased usage. Think of all those cars bought during the pandemic slowly starting to get out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭zg3409

I believe it is an esb roaming problem or policy, not necessarily an easygo thing. I mention it in the easygo thread.

I believe the same fee is passed on to other providers roaming to esb. I am not sure if this was done by mistake or not, but either way it makes no sense to use any roaming cards on esb AC chargers and stay for more than 45 minutes.

Have we gone nearly a week without anyone complaining about the state of ESB eCars?

I know schools are back but this is no excuse for people slacking off 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Leaf is 3rd best selling EV this year so still life in Chademo yet.

• Advertisement

True, but my point wasn't so much about sales as usage patterns

A few years back if you wanted a reasonably priced EV that could conceivably go long ranges you basically had few choices

1. Tesla Model 3
    2. Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh
    3. Nissan Leaf 40kWh

So I think there were people who bought Leafs intending them to use for long journeys and were willing to put up with the rapid charging

Now there are cars which are objectively better for long journeys, they have bigger batteries, charge faster and have battery cooling to prevent rapidgating. On top of that, the Leaf's battery heating problems are pretty well known at this point

So my theory was that if we see a drop in Chademo usage isn't that doesn't mean the Leafs are dying and getting scrapped. It just means that they aren't being used for as many long journeys because their owners have another car more suited to long journeys (hopefully another EV).

Anyway, @Black_Knight corrected me by showing Chademo usage is still going up generally, but CCS usage is going up faster, hence the percantage is leaning toward CCS

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I did 1k km in herselfs Ioniq28 over the last 3 days, using a lot of public charging. Mostly on the M3/M50/M11 corridor. No broken chargers, one queue (SPOF - coynes cross) but otherwise all good.

The situation is a lot better than a couple of years ago.

Coynes Cross charger seems to get a lot of traffic, I guess it's kind of a logical stopping point on the M11, the other stops are either in towns or really expensive (Ionity Gorey)

It's a pretty badly designed charging spot as well, the Chademo cable doesn't reach the right hand space, so if you've two Leafs you can't just swap the cable when you're finished, you have to actually move both cars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭innrain

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

It's just not as much fun without an esteemed moderator playing devil's advocate, dare I say panto villain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Jesus I pulled up to circle k in templeogue for a charge. Nissan leaf charging here so I can't use the CCS.

For the love of all that's holy....how in the name of jesus can 2 cars not charge at the same time?

What are the ESB at? Complete balls of an operation. Not a single rapid charger in Dublin. Not one. Found out my brother in law's neighbour is in charge of the electric charging department in the ESB.

I've asked for an introduction.

Betcha he drives a diesel, you should give him the keys to your EV and challenge him to survive a month on ESB chargers alone 😁

I thought 2 cars can charge at some of the triple head units? The problem is the Chademo has priority, so if you're on CCS then the Chademo will either knock you off or take half your power. But if there's a car already on Chademo (like your situation) then the CCS plug won't start until they unplug?

Or do I have that completely arseways? 😅

8 car hub is apparently definied as 8 parking spaces 🙄

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

8 car hub as long as one of them is using the AC.....

and yes, 2 cars can charge on a triple head at once, but again, one of them needs to be on AC!!!

I plugged into an AC43 a few weeks ago while an MG taxi was finishing up on the CCS.. I was time constrained so figured I'd pull something at 11kW while waiting to pull at a gloriously faster 44kW from the CCS plug!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yep he was there first so I can't "fast" charge. Fast is laughable because even our nearest neighbours across the pond don't even refer to 50kwh chargers as fast.

And my brother in law's neighbour is a she 😉😉. I must ask him if she drives a diesel!!

Advertisement