Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Something for eCars to take note of at the new high power units next to 50 units like Athlone

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

We even install steel bollards to protect steel poles!

From the bad parking thread here......

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Looks like a nice long cable though, and 1 unit (2 plugs) per bay, so no ninja parking required. Well done EasyGo I say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I've done searches of ev chargers in UK, France, Germany and Norway and there's loads of examples of bollards. Usually where the unit is right in front of the space rather than between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭McGiver

What a relief! So it CAN be done. Where is it?

Random selection of FCPs with frontal access (side access rarely has bollards anywhere).

Paris area

https://photos.plugshare.com/photos/518686.png - bollards on steroids

https://photos.plugshare.com/photos/599659.jpg - bollards on steroids including a broken one lol

Amsterdam area

https://photos.plugshare.com/photos/673588.jpg - no bollards, no chocks

https://photos.plugshare.com/photos/535282.jpg - bollards, but not obstructive and no waste of space

Utrecht-Amsterdam motorway

https://photos.plugshare.com/photos/385817.jpg - no bollards, no chocks

Berlin area

https://photos.plugshare.com/photos/283966.jpg - bollards

https://photos.plugshare.com/photos/149649.jpg - chocks

https://photos.plugshare.com/photos/117369.jpg - no bollards, no chocks

Hamburg-Berlin motorway

https://photos.plugshare.com/photos/769751.jpg - bollards, but no waste of space

Prague area

https://photos.plugshare.com/photos/517049.jpg - bollards

https://photos.plugshare.com/photos/467528.jpg - no bollards

https://photos.plugshare.com/photos/609867.jpg - no bollards

I could go on checking all countries, but from my travails around the EU I remember much less bollards overall...

Seems there's so many approaches to this alright and maybe a cultural issues. The Dutch are probably good at parking and the French are crazy😀

But I've also observed that the chargers with bollards (especially badly placed) seem all to be installed by electricity providers' chargers (EON, CEZ, EDF, ESB here), whereas chargers installed by 3rd party providers, Petrol station companies, local authorities, shopping centres (Lidl etc) tend to have no bollards or chocks. Absolutely some pattern there, semi-state electricity companies may be copying each other across the EU or something like that...

I'd say chocks and long cables are the best solution if someone is afraid of stupid drivers.

Anyway, ESB gets it wrong consistently 😁

1. Wrong charger layout - should prefer side access to frontal access
    2. Wrong parking bay allocation - wrong number of parking spaces (must be 2 bays per charger in multi-charger locations)
    3. Wrong cable length - exacerbates the issue with #2
    4. Wrong placement of bollards - wasting space, exacerbates the issue with #3

IEVOA hello - feedback from us!

It makes perfect sense to have it to protect your asset. No need for it to be 3 feet away from the charger though making it even harder for the cable to reach your car!

Yeah exactly, this is the issue with EBS and looks like all semi-state electricity companies who run chargers, they all seem to be putting bollards in but in a stupid way, wasting space...I think they assume the bollard to BE rammed into and bent and that's why they leave a larger gap, but that's stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

If you remember that ecars started off installing chargers primarily for Leafs, everything about their installation makes sense. It’s just a pity that people are sullying their pristine network with non-Leaf EVs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Currently sullying the Leaf network at a rate of about 6/1 these days……. And of every new site they’ve opened, ever….., only 1 of them (J14/Mayfiend) has not been 50/50 CCS/CHAdeMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Do the ESB look at the new car stats? Surely at this stage it's a waste of money putting in an equal ratio of CCS to Chademo heads on units?

I get the CCS & CHAdeMO on the AC-DC upgrades where there is only 1 DC charger on-site..

but at sites like Galway Plaza, Athlone, Kilcullen, Kells etc….. it’s absolute fcuking madness installing only 1 CCS on the 150kW units, and having a CHAdeMO on the other side of it…….

we’re at the stage now where there’s always a higher chance that more CCS cars will arrive as a site than Nissan Leaf’s….. (case in point was last week at Galway Plaza where 4 Tesla’s were there, 2 charging on CCS and 2 waiting to charge on CCS (both new Model S’s and they didn’t have a CHAdeMO adapter). So I was pulling about 60kW from the 150kW unit and the other side of it was idle because there wasn’t a Leaf there…. So 90kW of potential not being used…… a fcuking waste)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I notice from the ecars online map they are suggesting that CHAdeMO at J14 are free of charge to use... Can anybody confirm or deny that this is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The J14 HPC are free to use

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It will be priced like that once it's fully operational and released. Currently the 50kW is pay to use but the HPCs are free.

22kW I assume you mean? CHAdeMO is only 44kW, sometimes advertised as 50kW

There are 4 units at J14, 3 of them are the 350kW High Powered units, and one of the units is a bog standard 50kW unit.

The HPC's are currently free to use, but the 50kW unit (with CCS/CHAdeMO & AC) is pay to use, like any other 50kW unit.

So it's an '8 car hub' as long as one of those 8 cars is using the AC on the 50kW unit..... The AC is merely a token gesture if you will for the non CCS Zoe's of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭innrain

The confusion comes from the fact that the CHAdeMO is 50kW for most of the folks anyway. Saying HPC does not make any difference to them. The CHadeMO on the first unit as you drive in (old style and has the AC socket) is paid the one in the middle is free. :)

• Advertisement

That matches up with what the ecars map says, 2 units with 2 CCS each, free, CHAdeMO and CCS on another unit also free and finally a unit with CHAdeMO/CCS/Type 2 with prices showing

What's also showing is the CCS and CHAdeMO units on the "pay for" unit are being used (presume it's just one of them that knocks the other one out)

There's some roughness in my numbers the older they are, and in general the numbers are subject to some rounding error, but the trend exists. For ESB units their fast charging usage has tripled in 2021. Covid probably hid some of their early 2021 potential, but it's stark.

Wow!! One can only imaging the data that eCars are looking at.. (I say eCars, but it reality its probably just a data analyst, who tries to flag this sort of data to the higher ups, but they don't want to know as its almost Christmas, and most of them still aren't back from their summer holidays).

Meanwhile we've been given a half working 8* car hub...

*8 if one of the cars is charging on AC....

@Black_Knight Does your data show the times each fast charge was started/stopped? as I'm wondering if it did, and lets say a charge was started within 1-2-3 minutes of the previous charge ending on a particular unit, that would give a good indication of whether queuing for use of that charger had taken place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

More likely it's a poor unpaid data scientist intern who thinks they're going to shake up the company and are politely being ignored by management

Too much like hard work, as you say

Maybe we should email some of these stats to charging networks in other countries to make the case for setting up here 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

It could, but the reward for the effort involved in getting that data is pretty much zero. Ecars should know this stuff if they cared, and either they do know and they're doing seemingly nothing, or they don't care enough to find it out. I'm no data analyst. Just an EV driver who, originally, wanted to know how many of each type of charger ECars had out in the wild. It's grown significantly from there. Just had a look at the database size too. 6GB 😳😂

I try to focus my efforts on providing data to the end users of the ecars network. ESB should have all the data they need to guide them, so I don't see the value in giving the public more reason to roll their eyes at ecars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭cannco253

Having a browse through the latest ESB financial statements to see if I could find anything eCars related. Didn't realise ESB is 96% owned by the Government

The only relevant info I could find was on pages 64 and 65.

2020 Priority

Deliver for customers a range of innovation products and services Deliver the roll-out of high-power charging hubs and replacement of standard chargers in line with the Climate Action Plan. This will transform the driver experience for EV owners across ROI

2020 Progress

• Ethernet Tails Extension Service providing end to end high speed business connectivity for Irish telecommunication customers • Over 150 22 kW and 50 kW chargers in ROI replaced and upgraded, partially funded by the Climate Action Plan • eCars have also provided an additional 14 rapid (50kW)and 4 ultra-rapid (150kW) chargers to provide a faster charging service for our customers • Over 95% reliability achieved in the public charging infrastructure

2021 Priority

• Deliver the roll out of high-power charging hubs and replacement of standard chargers. This will transform the driver experience for EV owners across ROI • Deliver a range of solutions for customer’s needs through delivery of new services and products 

I can’t believe they wouldn’t know about usage given the work put into the very expansive FS (even though they would have been audited).

The experience of driving an EV in Ireland has certainly been transformed alright.... just 2 weeks ago I had my first ever experience of queuing to use a DC charger, as well as seeing for the 1st time, cars queuing up to use a DC charger that I was currently using.....

Transformed indeed.

Next 8 car hub. When & Where??

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aigne

Fascinating map from 1916

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

50kw = Rapid 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So my Zappi2 failed to charge when I plugged it in this afternoon, said "EV not connected" to eliminate the car I said I'd pop into town and try the AC charge points, first one dead, second one dead, long drive later 3rd one alive (one of the new, shared with CHAdeMO/CCS lads).

Moral of the story, this is why I avoid eCars and was actually my first charge from them this year (all 3c worth)!

Second moral is the MyEnergi lads said cable "broke" so sending me out a new one for self replacement, a week of Granny ahead of me, I actually took the Granny cable out of it's wrapper, never used and the car is just shy of 6 years old!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement