Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abortion in America

• 02-09-2021 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't seen a thread on this yet but wondering what people's thoughts are.

Basically now in Texas if you want an abortion after six weeks you can't have one, There is no wiggle room even for rape or incest.

The worst part is that it's not the police who will get you but your family, friends, neighbours. They can sue health care professionals or If you help someone obtain an abortion you can be sued. They have even incentivesed people to report anyone getting an abortion by offering a $10,000 "reward".

Below is the White House statement on the matter, hopefully they can somehow get this overturned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Why should anyone in Ireland care about this?

The constant importing of the US's problems into Irish discourse is completely poisonous. This is a Texan law for Texans that their legislature has passed. It's for them and their people to determine if it's what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I have an interest in US politics, if you don't then maybe don't click on a thread that clearly has America" in the title 🤷‍♂️

Oh, and FYI....Not everyone on this site is Irish or lives in Ireland, this law could affect some of the people who post on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Are you seriously trying to tell people what they should and should not discuss?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

watch as all the poisonous bu11sh1ter types in the US start reporting on and sueing their neighbours for mundane reasons they have no clue about. The US has been on a slide over the last few years that shows No sign of slowing down.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Surprised that the White House puts out a statement with a factual inaccuracy in the very first line. SCOTUS did not issue a ruling. In fact, it didn't do anything at all, it declined to interfere at this stage in procedings. (Which is kindof mentioned in the first line of the second paragraph). It may yet get to SCOTUS for an actual ruling, but through the normal channels.

Objection to abortion in the US system is based on one of two factors. The first is the moral, the right to life of the unborn. The other is the legal, which doesn't care so much about the outcome, but the mechanism used to create the outcome. This is one of those major splits in US legal philosophy, is the result more important than adherence to the written legal structure? And this goes far, far beyond just abortion, it is a major split in the schools of jurisprudence. It happens that those who follow the 'rule' more then 'result' philosophy, particularly such as Thomas or Gorsuch, also tend to be those who are on the side of the 'right to life of the unborn,' so there is a lot of controversy over whether the 'conservative' justices are ruling for the unborn, or if they are ruling consistent with their judicial philosophy. This is also why Roe v Wade is so 'vulnerable' to legal reversal: It's not as if there is something directly in the Federal Constitution to point to like there is for the right to protections from search or the right to firearms, there is a level of 'inference' involved which is counter to the philosophies of textualism. There is no Federal US equivalent to the Irish Eighth/Thirty-Sixth amendments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Such a weird Orwellian way to go about trying to restrict abortion. I presume most of the actual suing will be of clinics/medical facilities? If an individual woman is seeking an abortion, in most cases who else would know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

No, what I'm saying is that a) this is none of our business and B) debating it here will only serve to further import the US's poisonous culture war.

If the US wants to tear itself apart, let them at it. That's their problem.

If you help someone obtain an abortion, if you drive them to a clinic to get one then you too can be sued. What a crazy situation, and rape/incest? It doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

White House probably use this as an excuse to appoint more liberal judges to the Supreme Court. It had been talked about previously.

Think the whole thing with Texas is coming down to State laws vs Federal laws. Which has its supporters and detractors on both sides.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

we won't solve it here tonight anyway....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

They have even incentivesed people to report anyone getting an abortion by offering a $10,000 "reward".

Wow.

OP, I'm guessing that you're pro-abortion, which is fine, but I'm still guessing because you didn't really place your opinions for us to follow.

I am curious though about something. Where do you think it leads to? Think of Asia, maybe China in particular, where a girl/woman can get an abortion for a 100 dollars. Or hit one of the backstreet places for less (no identification needed). I had university students aged 20 who were already past their 3rd abortion and didn't see anything wrong with it. It was fast, easy, cheap, etc. No moral confusion or guilt trip involved. They were pregnant and they removed the problem... because that is what abortion is about.

It's one thing to give women the choice, it's another thing to consider what will happen in society when those choices are exercised. Do you favor limiting women's choices to match your moral standards, or should it be a free-for-all where they can abort any time they want?

----

Now, personally, I've always viewed this as being a womans choice, however, if she's married, it shouldn't be allowed without her husbands consent. Takes two to tango and all that. So, obviously, I feel that there should be limitations in place to restrict how an abortion is approved. The option should be available for women, but restrictions should be in place to avoid the culture that Asia has about them.

So, where would you stand on it? Not the simple question of should Abortion be available, because that's been done to death. How about the harder questions relating to the effect abortion has on society, and people themselves?

Thank you for your well thought out insightful post.

You are right in your guess that I am not so much pro abortion but certainly pro choice, I'm also in favour of time limits on when abortion should be available to (12 weeks for me seems right, after that only in the case of rape, incest, FFA or if the mothers life is in danger).

You ask about the effect abortion has on society but on the flip side you have to question the lack of abortions effect on society. Should a woman be forced to raise a child she does not want or cannot afford to have?

We already have a generation or two of young men growing up without fathers around and without a strong male influence in thier lives it can lead to them taking a path to crime/drugs etc. If the mother had the choice at the time maybe she would have chosen not to carry to term and aborted within the time frame allowed.

I'm certainly not saying this is the case with all children of single parents but I'm sure it is a factor for some.

Do you believe the decision made in Texas is a good one? Should a teenage girl get raped tomorrow and her mother takes her to get an abortion should the mother be sued for helping the daughter abort a baby she does not want to have?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

The small gubberment™️ crowd wanting the government infringing on an individual's liberty...

I stand utterly aghast.

The argument is that abortion infringes upon the liberty of the unborn. After all, pursuit of life, liberty and happiness is a bit difficult if you are terminated.

That entire argument is purely moral/philosophical. Why is an abortion almost universally legal at 6 days after conception, almost universally illegal after six months after conception, and entirely illegal six seconds after birth? How does one define 'a life worthy of legal protection'?

Solve that question, and you've solved the entire abortion argument. And probably a slew of other philosophical questions which have been bedevilling mankind for a few thousand years.

You didn't answer my question. You deflected with your own.

Personally, I'm in favor of pro-choice for all women, although with a clear restriction of the number of abortions within a certain timeframe. I believe anyone who is applying for an abortion should be investigated by "family services" or something similar to ensure that they're not in an abusive relationship. Just as I believe that abortion should never be allowed to become a casual choice. There needs to be some gravitas involved, without a guilt trip.

We need to recognise that our societies are changing, and many of the frameworks for morality are being removed. Religion is increasingly being pushed back, which is where a lot of our morals about sex and abortions came from. Yes. It was a flawed system, and remarkably unfair to women, but what is replacing it? Nothing as far as I can see. And no, I don't have an answer to that question..

What about the pursuit of life, liberty and happiness for the 13 year old rape victim who's parents could bow be sued for getting her an abortion?

I agree with you that abortion shouldn't be a free for all and I don't believe it is, we heard this before the referendum about how women would be using it as a means of contraception but that was just the pro life side using that as scaremongering, there is no proof of this happening in Ireland.

On religion, I'm happy to seeing it pushed back and would be even happier if all religions would disappear tomorrow. I believe Religion has been the biggest cause of death in the world since the first man made up the first "god".

Another example as to just how squishy and morals-related the whole argument is, isn't it? Everyone agrees that there is a line to be drawn, the question is 'where'? More people will agree to the rape/incest exception than would agree to a hard time limit. After all, the child of a rape does not have any lesser rights to life than any other individual, do they? What we are doing is a moral balancing act which is itself premised on philosophical concepts like "life". No wonder there is controversy on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So whats to stop you travelling to the next state over, just like what Irish women used to have to do?

Or is out of state medical care in the US another no-no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I guess then it only controls what the poor can or can't do. The rich don't have to worry about this ruling at all.

Ahh... but I already provided the scenario for abortion being a free for all... Asia. It's extremely common there, advertised in fashion magazines, and in subways alongside plastic surgery. The question is whether we'll end up the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It's very common everywhere. I'm not really seeing how Asia is much different from anywhere else with 'liberal' abortion laws. It's free in Ireland you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Well it doesn't seem to have gone that way in the US in all the years that abortion has been available does it?

I guess that depends on what state you look at, and which particular demographic... but honestly, I don't know that much about it. I have a few American friends and remember a conversation about abortion being very common in the South, especially among the poorer/less educated regions. I don't pay much attention to American society anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

It’s Texas though, the next state over could be a 14 hour drive. They may as well just say that abortion is banned outright, 6 weeks is just at the limit of finding out you’re pregnant - the day you conceive you’re already at 2 weeks!

A state that will pay people to inform on their neighbours,will eventually either end up autoritarian as fcuk or decend into anarchy imo

It's true that the line will be different for everyone. But I certainly don't think that the line is to be drawn any where near paying people to rat out girls who have had, or are thinking of having, an abortion.

• Advertisement

Nothing. Except perhaps Mrs Miggins down the road knows that you're up the duff and then all of a sudden you're not and she's entitled to a big payout for informing on you.

Advertisement