Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MrCouperin

As far as extra information, I was sent the shipping label as usual when the package shipped, and it was identical to all the other ones apart from the listed contents and their value. Those other ones arrived between April and July. My package contained two secondhand watches I bought off Yahoo Auctions Japan using Zenmarket as a proxy service. The other five packages I've had from them this year all got to me without any trouble. The last one that was delivered actually reached Dublin on the 4th of July, so after the new system came into force. I wasn't asked to pay VAT either, oddly.

Zenmarket have heard nothing and weren't even aware of the issue. I contacted other proxy services too, who all said packages being sent to the EU are being delivered fine at the moment, including Ireland apparently. The spiel I had from both Revenue/Customs and An Post's eComm Charge Query people is that TARIC codes are now mandatory for all non-EU packages regardless of value. Since packages from Japan are being delivered fine to Ireland at the moment, apparently, it might be that An Post and Revenue are telling a bit of a tall tale. My guess is that some packages are being selected at random for this kind of inspection and that you and I simply got unlucky.

I'll be using a courier to get the package back to Ireland as well, probably UPS or maybe Fedex.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hammerheart

Tall tale? Yeah, I think you're right. My guess is they are so backlogged that they are just literally sending stuff back to clear space. Topped up my phone with €15 to call them this morning, spent an hour on hold before my credit ran out. I've also sent 4 emails to no response. Pathetic service.

Thing is, customs told me that they had no interaction with my goods, so they got through customs fine. An Post are lying.

My advice would be to not even attempt to contact them, you'll wait and wait only to get some depressed woman or a robot on the other line. Just use couriers anymore.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They might be going on the AN Post tracking system, which looks like it might be on delivery. In fact, it seems to mean it is being returned. I have one like that at the moment from Australia. If you looked at the tracking it has "Left An Post". Last time they told me in An Post that this was being returned. Then in turned up at my doorstep 2 days later, with no request for VAT.

Well, initially An Post were telling me the parcel had been "extracted" by customs (like a rotten tooth, I guess, hah) and that it was their fault. Customs told me An Post handle all of that and that they had never had any interaction with my parcel. If it had been Customs, like in the old system, I'd have been asked for proof of purchase, etc, to prove the declared value was real. They'd have been welcome to open it - they'd have seen two watches, just like the label said.

What I can't figure out is if every parcel is being sent back or only a sample. I had a package arrive at my house on the 5th of July after arriving in Dublin the previous day, so it certainly wasn't happening then. The package I had this month arrived on the 9th and was sent back on the 15th, which is nearly a week. So it wasn't sent straight back.

Post edited by MrCouperin on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Most packages have a contact number so why can't AnPost let customers know there is duty/vat to be paid before they return the package? It must be costing AnPost to send all those packages back to China or Japan...

That's what I wonder myself. Not only do they have transport costs, but there's admin work to be done too and other things, and the people who do that need to be paid. And every package sent back means VAT revenue lost by the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

€15 gone on hold? What mad network deal are you on?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Gabriel

This is going crazy!!! I never have problems until now, as said: 4 packets sent back! This is something new from EU rule or the goverment. I repeat I never had issues before just now 4 packets sent back and its looks that there is another coming from US that is in limbo. I thinks they are pushing so people only buy stuff in the EU, that is only think I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Gabriel

Be very careful and take screenshots of An post tracking system becuse they are removing the history of the packet. I have two packets that now it says " we dont have your packet yet" and the original courier one says it is in Dublin :( another says it departed a airport in Dublin almost 10 days ago :(

This is insane really!

• Advertisement

A vodafone one from about 10 years ago. Probably the only one alright haha

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Another one being sent back now, to Australia. An Post can't tell you what's wrong, Customs won't tell anyone what's wrong. Absolute joke trying to bring anything in at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jbv

Got an sms on Sunday night about my parcel from Amazon being on hold until customs are paid.

There are no customs to be paid. I have the invoice to prove it.

Sent messages through the website, on hold to chat for about an hour.

Phone calls are getting disconnected.

It looks like the parcel will be sent back and probably Amazon will refund me.

Told Amazon that involving AnPost in delivering process it's not a good idea.

They are always late and creating problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Between increased costs due to brexit and the various tax/importation/ handling/ whateverwecanaddon charges, Ireland is being frozen out of the online buying market and we will be left with no alternative than to take limited range options at high cost from domestic suppliers. Fiscal O'Donoghue will be delighted.

When the National Broadband scheme is completed we will be the most connected country with the most expensive internet infrastructure and the most expensive and complicated online purchase options.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭blade1

So looks like proof of purchase and invoice isn't enough to release my item ordered on Amazon.

Probably is no ioss number provided by sender.

Could this be the cause of my and everyone else deliveries being sent back.

Here's a screenshot

In my case, it wasn't. I hadn't paid VAT yet, An Post should have charged me that. I'm sure that's the case for a lot of others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

No, not the issue for me either. I needed to pay VAT through An Post, so some other reason has caused the customs declaration to be deemed 'insufficient'. I think it's the omission of the TARIC code in my case.

I would like to pay extra for the item to be delivered using a different courier now to avoid An Post, but it seems the company will only use Royal Mail and then it just automatically goes to An Post. I don't think I will ever get what I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Yes me too with other deliveries.

I'm just wondering must that number be provided on all parcels now and isn't???

I'm after been on to seller again and they say this number is linked electronically between royal mail and Amazon so maybe an post have no way of knowing it.

Just a theory but I think it's safe to safe something is missing regarding documentation on lots of parcels arriving here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Maybe Revenue and the government should ease off their infatuation with trying to scrape every last cent of tax and do something sensible like not bothering for goods less that €50 or €100, that's basically what Australia did.

Its the EU that are pushing this. Maybe they are fed up watching China's economy growing while we get no taxes from it. We had €22 lower limit and scrapped it. Maybe they should have communicated it better to countries outside the EU, because it seems to be happening to all packages coming in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Switzerland are EU in a manner so no charges would be due?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Still waiting on my contact lenses from daysoft that were ordered more than 3 weeks ago. Last week an post sent me a text message to pay the VAT on them, actually 8 days ago now, paid that day and still no lenses. I'm blind without them. What a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Switzerland is not in the EU nor the EEA, they however are part of the single market!

However, it is required that Irish VAT is charged and paid on the import, therefore they require IOSS numbers if you paid the VAT directly to the Swiss company.

Otherwise Irish VAT is due at import.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

For me the biggest issue is not knowing specifically what was wrong with the customs declaration - the UK company are now trying to follow it up but they say they cannot see what was wrong either. So they will just re-send the item, but what's the point if the same issue arises once An Post gets hold of it. An Post's communication with customers is beyond unacceptable, very unprofessional.

• Administrators Posts: 353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭System

This discussion was created from comments split from: An Post Delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

I recently had one sent back to the UK.

An Post didn't even tell me. I had to find out from the sender.

However I'm not letting go of this.

I asked an Post "customer service" who promise a reply in two days but took five!

They claimed the parcel did not have the right tariff code (TARIC) and Customs sent it back.

I took Customs to task about it and they said this parcel never entered Customs - had it done, they would have contacted me for the missing details.

They said for sure, An Post did it! (and lied to me about doing so).

I brought it to the CEO of An Post David McRedmond (david.mcredmond@anpost.ie) who said, we've had a lot of difficulties ya di ya di ya

and it will be sorted soon.

I pointed out that this does nothing for the loss of my parcel and transport costs, so I'm making claims /complaints to the following:

ComReg (useless as they have been through the years)

The Small Claims Court

The International Postal Union

The EU Office of Consumer Affairs

Eamon Ryan (the responsible minister) if I can wake him up for long enough to listen1

Come on guys, the more the merrier, they'll do something if we swamp them!

Email sent to AN Post CEo

Like I said in the other thread, I had anticipated this happening to me and emailed customs before the parcel even got into Ireland.

'it's not in our remit' they said, and said An Post were the sole handler of the goods, so blame lies with them.

Then after following up, an An Post employee wrote back to me in the SAME EMAIL THREAD directly under the previous message saying it's a customs issue and to take it up with the sender!

I'll be chasing them for the €30 postage costs, as a matter of principle. Plus I still don't even know what was wrong as sender filled everything out correctly.

An Post need to hire some humans. Nothing as frustrating as a passive aggressive robot 'Paddy' fobbing you off for trying to get answers to a service you paid for and did not receive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭manna452121

Email sent

Advertisement