Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Let's hope for a better day tomorrow but today was muck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭sporina

beautiful moon out tonight.. and in spite of the dark clouds at intervals, we only had one wee shower here in the late eve in Cork City - twas a grand late summer's day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭appledrop

So it lashed rain Friday + all day yesterday with heavy thunder showers here in Dublin.

Today was meant to be 'nice day' i.e at least it would be dry.

Instead it's raining again. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭OldRio

Utter washout yesterday in Leitrim. Beautiful morning today. Sunshine, yes sunshine in August. First time in many a year.

Yeah grey and damp again

Hopefully it'll clear off this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Don't think I've opened the curtains to blue skies even once this month, even by August standards this is on track to be one of the worst I've experienced

Suns out down here in Arklow

A muggy feeling 19.2 c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Hate this humid muck.

Roll on Autumn.................

I don't believe Arklow actually exists

It's just a hoax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Roll on cooler and wetter humid muck? No thanks 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It's still going to finish a very warm month though. I currently estimate around 1.0c above average.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭compsys

Yes. It's hasn't been a cold August at all, though I imagine many will disagree. But you can only look at the stats.

The issue is that it's very easy to get used to temps of 18 to 22º, which is what temps are on most summer days in Ireland - particularly this August.

18 to 22º feels warmer earlier in the summer but by the time August comes we're well used to it so start complaining of 'the cold' unless temps are over 25º. But in reality temps may have been trending above average.

Either way, next week should give a nice blast of summer warmth to most parts.

One thing about this summer compared to last Yr is the nights have been warmer. Last summer there were a good number of nights with minimum in single figures . Not many this summer.

I have found this August to be very warm with a humid warmth that is all pervasive with no cool nights at all to offer any relief. Dreading the upcoming heat surge which could well last as long as the last one. Can't wait to see the back of this summer, sick to death of it. A crispy feeling and not uncomfortably cool Autumn is what I have my sights set on at this point.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

"Weather to return this autumn" promise weather experts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭mcburns07

MT literally posts the forecast every day in another thread 😂

Temperature profile for mid-week:

Like during the heatwave last month, it seems Ireland once again will be warmer than the UK for much of this upcoming spell. This is not normal, because even under normal anticyclonic easterly flows, the UK still tends to get higher temps than us.

It just confirms to me that patterns tend to repeat themselves very often. Like during the cold spell of late winter/early 2018, the same pattern repeated itself a few weeks later, just like it did back in Nov/Dec 2010.

But that Ireland is yet projected to endure yet more prolonged and insufferable heat compared to the UK once again, It has to be asked as to what is causing this? Sea temp profile?

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

23/24c is a lot more bearable than the 30/31c we had in July. I’m sure you’ll be grand Oneiric 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A North Sea breeze. It's not that unusual particularly in Spring.

Looking forward to a glorious week 😎

A North Sea Breeze would never bring this amount of heat and high humidity, even here in the sheltered west. Something more is going on here. And yes, it will be a glorious week in the east once again because like the last time, you'll not experience the same level of constant high heat and coupled with constant high humidity / dew points as we endured on side of the island.

Summer 2021 in a nutshell:

First half: Dull, windless and yet, dry.

2nd half of July: Sun and unbearable heat with not even a flutter of a breeze.

August up to now: Very dull, eternally humid with the odd downpour that did nothing to ease it.

August from here on in. Sun with constant high heat and humidity with no cooling breeze yet again.

I've seen some beauts of summers in my time, but this one just takes the cake, and has easily become the worst that I've have ever lived through, not so much for the dull first half, which was not all the unpleasant 'feel' wise, but more the abominations that followed it.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭pauldry

Theres a major weather event occurring.

Its happening for the first time in nearly 20 years.

It will affect all of Ireland too.

Its called good weather in August!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭OldRio

Absolutely stunning now. Very pleasant. Forecast looks good. It'll make a nice change to have a dry week with warmish temps.

Aye,Glorious day here nearArklow

Strong sea breeze

Took a look at the temp anom maps for the next few days, and it becomes clear that the air mass that will bring this coming heat is the same as that which brought us the heatwave conditions in July... at that is, a returning tropical maritime:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭compsys

Not being bad but if you can't live with this 'enduring heat' and you think this was the 'worst' summer ever because it's been so hot, you have two options.

Move to Iceland or Greenland.

Even the Artic Circle get temps into the 30s for a few days each year.

Also, this week will see max temps of around 25º in a few sheltered areas. Even the odd shower. It won't be 'constant high heat and humidity' with no cooling breeze.

National average mean maxima for the 9 day period from Aug 23rd to Aug 31st since the mid 70s and that reached 20c or more.

With temps into the low to mid 20s for much of this coming week across the country and possibly well into next weekend as well, it looks pretty likely that the end of this August will be a record breaker (for the period mentioned) in terms of heat.

We'll see.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Let's do a spontaneous house swap then for the next week to ten days. I'll take your place in cool breezy Dublin (or is it Bray, I can't remember so apologies) and you can have my gaff here in Galway, seeing that you like hot humid weather. Deal?

New Moon

Advertisement