Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

today seems to be the best of a bad lot, so make the most of it! folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

I haven't read much of the last few pages.

I always thought an Indian Summer could only technically be called so after the first air frost of the autumn.

Often 25C weather the first week of September was incorrectly called an Indian Summer when in fact it was a continuation of late summer conditions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

An Indian summer in Ireland is typically a spell of very warm temperature anomolies and sunshine from early October to late November. September shouldn't really be considered an Indian summer as it can be just as warm as the summer months, particularly the first half of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭highdef

A constant dull warmth today that the breeze and relentless dullness and earlier drizzle just cannot shake off. Uncomfortably warm at a blistering 16°, almost crippling and even worse after I put the heating on for a while, with house temperatures threatening to drop below 21°. Was tempted to enjoy the extreme temperatures but if I do I'll feel guilty that I am implicit with regards to climate change. 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭sporina

lovely day here in Cork City

• Advertisement

Beautiful here. I love these days when you're not expecting too much. Yesterday evening was nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭appledrop

Really cool out today, had to put heating on for an hour when I came home as I felt cold after been outside all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I was on the phone to my brother in vancouver and said it only rained there the other day for the first time in 50 days madness , as far as I know the longest dry spell we've had was in 1995 if I'm not mistaken

Nice day in Arklow

High of 19c

Currently 16c

Definitely no need for the heating here !

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Next week looks like it could be pleasant. High pressure, not too warm ,cool at night. Pleasant. Perfect late summer weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jez, the weather this month is so depressing. Rain, rain and more rain. With temps in the mid teens.

I think it really just confirms for me that August isn't part of the summer any more, autumn has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

Just back from 2 warm, sunny weeks on the Med....to this depressing grey autumnal crap. Sure glad I went lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭mcburns07

We’ve been getting away with it on the south coast of Cork with temps holding up pretty well and in fact the mean is above average for August in Roches Point. Very dull though.

Lovely night out,here near Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Dazler97

This is a summer chat now climate change forum

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: @Oneiric 3 I have deleted a number of your recent posts. Recent posting style and goading (re CC) not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I am finding Augusts in recent years playing second fiddle to June and Julys in the Limerick area. The last week was feeling autumnal. While my oil fired central heating system hasn’t come on yet I find that I am using a fan heater at times in my sitting room. Outdoor swims are becoming infrequent. It was nearly every day during July.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭acequion

Join the club. Came back on Monday and wow was it a culture shock to go from blazing mid 30s to dull mid teens. Really takes getting used to 😲

At least the past two days have been quite sunny in Tralee but I find the nights really cool and need my heating. If only it was a tad sunnier and warmer here as it is in most of the rest of northern Europe excepting the top of Scandinavia. Really glad too to have got away.

Lovely day in Arklow

Currently 20.7c

Another lovely day in Cork city. Warm in the sunshine. Garden is loving the sun and more due after what looks like a brutal weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today is probably one of the best days over the past 3 to 4 weeks which isn't saying much but at least it's dry and less cold. Back wearing a t-shirt for the first time in over 2 weeks.

Reached 22c almost in Arklow

Feels tropical out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Some great to and fro on here recently 🙂

A lot of depressed, windy, cold, wet, sun deprived, light deficient, autumnal, I'm changing the seasons, heating on, feelings.

You'd think we were living in some place at a fairly high latitude, an island beside a massive ocean, some place like Ireland 😊

Think of our ancestors lads, with no tight underwear to keep their nether regions warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Dublin Apt had its dullest August on record only last year. As of 18th August 2020, Dublin had recorded 55.6 hrs of sunshine.

As of 18th August 2021, Dublin has recorded just 43.9 hrs. So right now, this August is running even duller than 2020 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭sporina

twas a v v warm day here in Cork City - like, proper warm air, like that we had back in July

I'm surprised it's even as much as 43.9 hours. Here in Meath only 15 miles away from the airport and the sun has been mostly absent since the end of the heatwave. There has only been one reasonably sunny and warm day, i think it was Thursday 5th August. Aside from that day I've only seen a few seconds of sunshine here and there.

Next week we will get a ridge of high pressure but with an easterly source of the wind and low pressure to our east I think it's going to be a dissapointment with lots of low hanging cloud and a nagging sea breeze, a bit like what we had during that one dry week last August 2020 where everywhere else was basking in sunshine and warm temperatures.

Still almost 21c in Arklow at near 8pm

No Complaints!

The almost nightly gratuitous Moon pics from near Arklow

Another great to be alive Evening out here

Currently 17c

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This summer is over. We'll get 2/3 days start of September and that will be that.

Looked at the forecast for the weekend.. think that's the fourth washout Saturday in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

that's three half decent days we've had in a row here in west clare, much nicer than met eireann forecast 🤨

Advertisement