Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Marlow wrote: »
    Goldfish is usually a good place to go to. Just my 2c.

/M

+1

Good customer service too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Grnsj wrote: »
    I'll make it pretty simple for you because you're not getting it.

A user here fmannix10 ordered gigabit from you. You could not provide the full bandwidth. They left under the 14 day cooling off period and moved to eir where they get in their own words "never under 930". Your company had blamed contention at the exchange.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113038789&postcount=571

Another user brianbruff left your company after a year and went back to eir with the quote "Back on 1Gbps speeds so turns out openEir network was not the problem after all." implying they were told the openeir network was the issue.

Now a third user limnam is having similar issues and getting the same response from your company. I advised them that like the other two cases the issue was likely with your company and that they should move to another supplier if they required gigabit.

You'll notice all of these cases occurred before lockdown so there is no point trying to pin the blame on that.

Nobody is looking for uncontended 1Gb. limnam posted that his speed never exceeded 550Mb.

If you, as a company, can't make a profit from selling a gigabit service I respectfully suggest you stop selling it instead of providing a sub-standard product to the general public.

I also enjoyed your playing to the gallery at the end of your post. You are not on boards as a charity. You've done well out of this forum where your company name is instantly recognisable when if I stopped one hundred random people in the street I'd be surprised if one had heard of you.

You are a small fish in a large pond. You can nibble at the big fish if you wish but don't be surprised if they bite back.

Just an update on this.

I've since moved back to Eir on 1gb/s

Speed tests are showing consistent gigabit speeds.

Latency is 4-5ms around Ireland.

So it looks like the problem was not exchange related here either.

Which would make sense with so few houses taken up FTTH in the area anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

LOS light flashing red since Friday. It hadnt missed a beat in the last 2 years!

Neighbours, upstream, are working fine so not a general issue. I have rebooted the ONT. No joy there.

I have logged the fault with the ISP (on Friday) and they have supposedly opened a ticket with OpenEir.

Whats the typical turnaround time for OpenEir to do a site visit and investigate in the case where its just one customer? Is there an SLA for that?

Do they just turn up and fix it or do they call/text first for access?

Can I check progress of the OpenEir ticket online anywhere?

Anything else I can do to investigate? Are the ONT's flaky or is it likely to be something external?

WFH aint easy on hotspot in rural Ireland! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Lemon Davis lll

Anyone heard of this?

I'm out of contract with Eir on a FTTH package and looking to change provider.

Unfortunately no other ISP can see I actually have FTTH at the property since April 2020.

How do I go about remedying that?

I only found out FTTH was even possible at my address by checking Airwire a year ago.

It now shows 'currently no ports available' for my Eircode

https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Anyone heard of this?

I'm out of contract with Eir on a FTTH package and looking to change provider.

Unfortunately no other ISP can see I actually have FTTH at the property since April 2020.

How do I go about remedying that?

I only found out FTTH was even possible at my address by checking Airwire a year ago.

It now shows 'currently no ports available' for my Eircode

https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

You don't need available ports if you're switching provider. Your new provider just needs your UAN to switch you.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    You don't need available ports if you're switching provider. Your new provider just needs your UAN to switch you.

Thanks, but so far they seem to be saying computer says no.

With the exception of Eir, my Eircode is not showing as FTTH enabled for any other ISP.

Any idea how to go about correcting that?

Thanks, but so far they seem to be saying computer says no.

With the exception of Eir, my Eircode is not showing as FTTH enabled for any other ISP.

Any idea how to go about correcting that?

They shouldn't be checking your Eircode, they should be checking your UAN. Find an ISP that knows what they're doing. Most of the smaller regional ISPs that resell FTTH will know what to do.

They shouldn't be checking your Eircode, they should be checking your UAN. Find an ISP that knows what they're doing. Most of the smaller regional ISPs that resell FTTH will know what to do.

Thanks for that

Once I was able to give my new ISP my UAN, things rolled smoothly.

Odd that their respective sales teams seemed oblivious to such a workaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

They shouldn't but they do. I rang up and got a we can't see anything on the network. This will have to be put out as a new order the sales team then proceeded to browbeat me and more or less said he couldn't do it without an existing copper line despite this being a ftth order. I gave up and let them put it through as a new order.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    They shouldn't but they do. I rang up and got a we can't see anything on the network. This will have to be put out as a new order the sales team then proceeded to browbeat me and more or less said he couldn't do it without an existing copper line despite this being a ftth order. I gave up and let them put it through as a new order.

There's a lot to be said for only dealing with competent ISPs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

There's a lot to be said for only dealing with competent ISPs.

You make it sound like it's something easily found.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

Odd one checked my postcode last night on the new eir rollout map. Currently getting fttc. When I checked it said my area was selected to be upgraded to Ftth. Are they upgrading rural areas from fttc to Ftth now aswell. Shocked to be honest was told they wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭BobMc

Been waiting for NBI and seems were one of the fortunate ones going from FTTC to FTTH with OpenEIR, how much effort are they putting in to installation with troublesome ducting from roadside to household these days ?? available to order now for us and thinking stickiing with Vodafone just for less hassle

Post edited by BobMc on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Well I don't know about current practices, but for the rural FTTH rollout, it was generally the property owners task to sort out the ducting if it proved to be blocked, which many were due to the unfathomable practice of not sealing the ends of ducts. KNN would have a go trying to get the cable through, but if they couldn't, the property owner had to sort it before a retry.

I knew my ducting was too narrow with too many bends so I dug it up before the install date so come the day it was a doddle to run the cable through the duct, leaving it for me to bury it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

So they are definitely upgrading people from fttc to Ftth. I was told they wouldn't about a year ago. Happy enough to see it wasnt a glitch on the open eir site

Seems so was pre order on NBI since end of may with no progress, we're about 1.1km from cabinet, looks like open eir swooped in and duplicated some of the work NBI had done too, 1st install date next Wednesdy, see a neighbour with a different civil team out this morning doing some path digging at their front door.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not sure if this has been mentioned recently but Eir have decided to upgrade an extra 200,000 homes to FTTH, not sure if this part of the IFN or Eir Rural rollout, probably takes in both rollouts.

https://www.thejournal.ie/eir-broadband-2-5520066-Aug2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭shinobi2600

Hi all,

KN have finished running fibre to the gate of our house now ready for install if we order.

However, the distance from the pole to the front door, where the connection will end up, there is no ETU.

The current copper cable does come underground but there is nothing to check on the land for access at the house end. There's just the Eir socket that the router plugs into. Would I be best getting a survey done to determine the ducting path?

House was built in the 90s if that provides context.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Would you mind sharing where you are able to order it from? I'm in the same situation but I haven't seen anywhere I could register my interest, or anything like that. Thanks.

I was pre order with DigiWeb for NBI, and just kept checking online, for it going from Pre-Order to Order now and I'd not

heard from Digiweb with an update, Few neighbours had crews out attempting installations so I did some availability for

OpenEir fibre and it was available, I called Digiweb and told em to cancel the NBI order and I wanted the OpenEir fiber,

she did the order swop over and shipped out modem, this call was Wednesday 18th August, got an install text within

a few hours for Wednesday 25th August, crew arrived 8am and had found end of my duct within 10 mins, so I got lucky

as next door both have blocked ducts, small bit of tarmac dug up and chased cable into living room where current modem is,

a stupid cable ran under our living room door to master socket at front door, I headed off to work but son told me

2 guys where gone before 10am so good job allround.

Thrilled to bits to be honest, we're located in Ardnacrusha, part of the Limerick roll out for NBI and was due live during summer months,

think OpenEir have pulled of a coup and beat NBI to it, something they probably should have done years ago as its a Semi Rural estate

of about 160 houses so was low hanging fruit, but to go from 15mb to 500mb overnight is something I'd been dreaming of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

We have a draw rope in the duct that runs from the Eir pole to a manhole outside our wall. There is a duct running to the house with the 2006 copper in it.

Should I run a draw rope in that duct or hope that the fibre can be blown though it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Hi all. I am going to be renting a house in the countryside outside Kilkenny city. The OpenEir map says full 1GB broadband is available at the address. As far as I've seen the previous tenants were using mobile broadband.

My question is: if the fibre has never been brought to the house (it's a bungalow, probably built in the 70's or 80's), what is involved in getting that setup? Will they potentially need to dig up the driveway? What is the cost involved with that work?

Just trying to get a general idea of what I might be facing before I speak to the landlord about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

depends, if the property is ducted or not, if not then it would be an overhead install

where does the existing copper line enter the house?

I have no idea unfortunately, I've only been to the house once. Moving in next week.

This is a view of the outside of the house if it helps... nothing visible in the other direction.

Just to follow up on my own question:

I spoke to Digiweb, customer service who, at least in sales, seemed pretty good. They advised that FTTH is available to me and that if I order an engineer would come out to install and he may discover issues that would need to be dealt with. Primarily blocked ducting. They were advising that if there is a duct on my property, and the engineer says it's blocked, they can unblock it there and then for €100. Alternatively I could hire my own contractor to unblock it but that would cost much more so they were strongly advising that if it's blocked, pay the €100 to get it sorted there and then.

There was a whiff of shenanigans off this, who is anyone to say that the duct isn't blocked if they tell you it is? But I knew this house has no ducts anyway so it made no difference to me.

So I placed the order for 500mb on a Friday. Had the router/modem out in the post on Tuesday and the engineer called out last Friday morning.

The house is about 100m down from a crossroads. The fibre is on a pole the far side of the crossroads. Engineer says the fibre has to go from that pole, via a duct, to a pole across the road from my house. This pole is currently supporting the copper line that comes into the house through the fascia on the gable.

2 problems he says. First, the duct on the road is narrow and blocked. Second, they can't run the fibre to the fascia like the copper line is, it has to go to the concrete on the gable. The height distance (it's a bungalow) could leave the cable too low over the road. Also, if it was connected through the fascia there is a risk of it becoming detached and causing damage to passing traffic.

Solutions: Eir will have to come out and unblock the duct.

Then a pole will have to be erected on our side of the road to support the line. He said there may be a workaround for this by using a goose neck off the gable to support the cable up higher as it enters the house.

He says they can't log two problems at once so first thing is to get Eir out to unblock the duct.

Rang Digiweb for an update today as I hadn't heard anything since. They say that Eir have scheduled to get the duct unblocked no later than the 21st of October. Apparently this can take so long because it may necessitate obtaining a permit for road obstruction/closure.

PITA having to wait so long to get it all sorted but hopefully it'll be worth it in the end.

Oh, and it's all at no extra cost to me because the problems are not on my property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭user1842

Good luck, a neighbour of my parents is waiting 6 months now for a duct to be cleared. Eir are blaming delays on getting road permits.

Post edited by user1842 on

Jesus, that is shocking. I won't be waiting that long anyway. I'll give them until the 21st and if there's no progress at that stage I'll cancel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The communication typically hangs on OpenEIRs side, when it comes to permits, because they simply don't follow up. So if anything glitches in the council, OpenEIR won't check up on it. That's the norm.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Well folks, trying to learn a bit about fibre and all that jazz.

There's one of those black boxes on a pole just up the road. Does this have to be wired to the house in a duct? I have copper already through the phone line so does this mean there's no ducts in the ground?

A family member bought a house a few years ago and recently tried to get fibre, were told the ducts were blocked. When were these ducts installed and for what purpose? Would it be a fair assumption that any house with copper broadband wouldn't have ducts?

I put my eircode into the broadband checker and it says my nearest connection point is 10km away despite that black box only being a few hundred metres away and a neighbour in a different direction having fibre through that.

Advertisement