Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Halleluiah - my address says available 10th March!!
    oleard1987 wrote: »
    Can people tell me when they checked Airwire and it showed as available soon ,How long was it before you had FTTH

2-3 months I think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

alec76 wrote: »
    It definitely NOT fibre optic broadband, it is copper cable, VDSL( FTTC) Copper intends to stretch

So nothing to worry about?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭oleard1987

Mc Love wrote: »
    Halleluiah - my address says available 10th March!!
    Does it say this on Airwire for you ?

2-3 months I think

Hopefully we can get it in this timespan.we have 20 houses so far in the estate that we’re connected last week .Amazing how they just didn’t carry in and complete the other 50 houses

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

cnocbui wrote: »
    You can't really stretch an optical fibre cable.

You can snap the old optical fibre it's only held with a steel member support the same guage as a wire coat hanger and the fibre is a double sided skin of Kevlar housing two fibre strands. We stopped using it about a year and a half ago.
    The only way to get a replacement stronger fibre cable is for it to snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

babi-hrse wrote: »
    You can snap the old optical fibre it's only held with a steel member support the same guage as a wire coat hanger and the fibre is a double sided skin of Kevlar housing two fibre strands. We stopped using it about a year and a half ago.
    The only way to get a replacement stronger fibre cable is for it to snap.

I have an offcut of the cable used for my install. It has no metal in it's construction. The outer casing of what I think is HDPE, has two multistrand bundles of UHMWPE otherwise known as Dyneema, imbedded within it. The inner cavity also contains quite a lot of Kevlar fibre.

While kevlar has 5 times the tensile strength of steel, by weight, Dyneema has 15 times and is extremely resistant to stretching, yet it will float in water.

The main reason I said you can't stretch an optical cable is because of those dyneema reinforcement strands I identified. Kevlar is also very resistant to stretching. The optical glass fibre itself, being glass, is also not something prone to stretching, so if the parents still had a working connection, and the cable had stretched, I thought it very unlikely the cable or connection was optical.

I have Dyneema ropes and cords. The 6mm rope has a breaking strain of 5,400 Kg

• Advertisement

Yeah this stuff I'm talking about is the old overhead fibre made by 3M before we went with the all round rugged acome fibre.
    The fibre the other lad is referring to does look like old bt flat pair telephone cable. It used to peel and stipple in strong winds and bent too easily.
    We all hated it it could get damaged pulling though trees and we wouldn't know till we had it attached end to end. It was rare but it did happen to a few and nobody wanted to be that guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In the early days it was brittle af but kinda like ESD the old limitations have stuck in people's minds despite no longer being very relevant. Now you have indoor unarmored SM that's been _battered_ and still holds up 400G no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CoffeeBean2

I have an Ethernet cable to the outside wall box where fiber will be coming in. There is no power to this box, just a single Ethernet cable that goes to my comms room. Is it possible to get / use a Power Over Ethernet ONT in this wall box and just use the single Ethernet cable to bring the internet connection into my house (and also power the ONT)? Or is it necessary to have the installer drill a hole directly into the front room of my airtight house!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I have an Ethernet cable to the outside wall box where fiber will be coming in. There is no power to this box, just a single Ethernet cable that goes to my comms room. Is it possible to get / use a Power Over Ethernet ONT in this wall box and just use the single Ethernet cable to bring the internet connection into my house (and also power the ONT)? Or is it necessary to have the installer drill a hole directly into the front room of my airtight house!

The installers are likely to walk away from the installation. If anyone is going to drill a hole into your airtight house, it's you. They won't do it for you, as they don't want the liability of invalidating your warranty.

Also, the ONT can not be PoE powered. However, it's powered by 12V DC. So if you somehow can get a 12V DC power feed into that cab, then that's all you need.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CoffeeBean2

Marlow wrote: »
    Also, the ONT can not be PoE powered. However, it's powered by 12V DC. So if you somehow can get a 12V DC power feed into that cab, then that's all you need.
    /M

Thanks, that would be ideal. I'm guessing this kit will do the trick

https://www.cablemonkey.ie/switches/3856-tp-link-poe-adapter-kit-6935364030551.html

• Advertisement

Thanks, that would be ideal. I'm guessing this kit will do the trick

https://www.cablemonkey.ie/switches/3856-tp-link-poe-adapter-kit-6935364030551.html

You will only get 100 Mbit/s, if you use that one. It uses pair 1 & 2 for data and pair 3 & 4 for power only.

For Gbit/s speeds or speeds over 100 Mbit/s you need something, that does power on pairs 3 & 4 together with data.

If you get a 150 Mbit/s connection and are happy with only being able to utilize 100 Mbit/s, then that there will work. Yes.

/M

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm not convinced KNIS will install an ONT in an outdoor box even if there is 12V power there. It's an indoor device. Maybe babi-hrse can offer an opinion?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm not convinced KNIS will install an ONT in an outdoor box even if there is 12V power there. It's an indoor device. Maybe babi-hrse can offer an opinion?

Haven't had any issues with them doing it. As long as the place it gets installed is waterproof and dry.

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

I've done it twice once was because the builder put a junction box outside a newly externally insulated house and ran cat5 to it. I couldn't drill into home and the customer understood all this there was no other way to get it in he got a bigger box and ran power to it and showed me the IP rating of the box along with him being an electrical engineer.
    The other time was for a plant too far from road to run 800m of fibre but had built a box with power and said they will be running their own single mode fibre to the building once I have everything working in the box.
    They were an engineering company that had fibre optic networks of their own.
    So yeah they might install in a box if the customer looks like he knows how to work with it.
    Wouldn't be installing in a Tupperware box for a lad who reckons It'll be grand how hard can it be to get it to be where it needs to be without issues.
    Cause that's how complaints come in and people out to investigate breaches of compliance.

For those on connections with a Fritz!Box router, there is a new firmware out (7.25)

One feature is, that now allows to prioritise certain devices for working from home. Could be handy.

It's been rolled out for the 7530 and 7590 models so far.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

1. Are there any difficulties or hindrences in using a FritxBox on an eir service?

2. Do eir discourage or prevent a server on a home connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

1. Are there any difficulties or hindrences in using a FritxBox on an eir service?

2. Do eir discourage or prevent a server on a home connection?

1. Not unless you use eir VOIP landline, in that case you need to keep using the eir router for that part of the service.

2. Not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭savemejebus

For those on connections with a Fritz!Box router, there is a new firmware out (7.25)

One feature is, that now allows to prioritise certain devices for working from home. Could be handy.

It's been rolled out for the 7530 and 7590 models so far.

/M

Stuck on 7.12 since 2019 on my 7560.

daraghwal wrote: »
    1. Not unless you use eir VOIP landline, in that case you need to keep using the eir router for that part of the service.

This is because eir do not make available the necessary details for the customer to use the Fritz!Box for VOIP?

• Advertisement

Stuck on 7.12 since 2019 on my 7560.

That's a good solid firmware though. The big changes in 7.20 and upwards was the smart home stuff like smart bulbs and now in 7.25 roller shutters.

And there is a hardware limitation in the 7560, that prevents it from supporting that stuff, I believe.

/M

This is because eir do not make available the necessary details for the customer to use the Fritz!Box for VOIP?

Oh .. they will .. if you can get them on the phone that is ... after hanging in the queue for an hour or two ... but what they make available to you will be useless and won't work. You literally have to run the Eir router in parallel to keep your phone going. Only way around it.

/M

Oh .. they will .. if you can get them on the phone that is ... after hanging in the queue for an hour or two ... but what they make available to you will be useless and won't work. You literally have to run the Eir router in parallel to keep your phone going. Only way around it.

/M

Do you have a suggestion how the two routers should be connected to eir for best control and performance?

Do you have a suggestion how the two routers should be connected to eir for best control and performance?

That's easy enough. You can connect a small 5- or 8-port switch to the ONT. Then connect the Eir router as per ususal and switch off it's wireless portion. You only want it for the phone. It will authenticate using IPoE.

Then your alternative router, lets say a Fritz!Box or any other router, you also connect to the switch directly with the ONT and set it up for PPPoE.

That way you don't end up with double-nat or other issues. The 2 routers will have individual IP addresses.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

I would suggest to go with a different VOIP provider that will actually provide you with the proper VOIP (SIP) access details (you can even port your landline number). Then there will be no issue with using the Fritzbox only and you also get to use the Fritz DECT phone, which is excellent.

That's easy enough. You can connect a small 5- or 8-port switch to the ONT. Then connect the Eir router as per ususal and switch off it's wireless portion. You only want it for the phone. It will authenticate using IPoE.

Then your alternative router, lets say a Fritz!Box or any other router, you also connect to the switch directly with the ONT and set it up for PPPoE.

That way you don't end up with double-nat or other issues. The 2 routers will have individual IP addresses.

/M

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

user1842 wrote: »
    I would suggest to go with a different VOIP provider that will actually provide you with the proper VOIP (SIP) access details (you can even port your landline number). Then there will be no issue with using the Fritzbox only and you also get to use the Fritz DECT phone, which is excellent.

Anyone you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

We replaced the Eir router with a TP-link facing the ONT and than had the Eir router connected behind it for just the VOIP functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

limnam wrote: »
    Anyone you recommend?

My parents went with Vomino, also porting their landline number (their website is not the best though). No issues at all, very quick in responding to emails.

Also I believe irishvoip could be an option.

• Advertisement

Goldfish is usually a good place to go to. Just my 2c.

/M

Advertisement